Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Confidence destroyed, humiliated for starting a thread in ****** cycling

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Confidence destroyed, humiliated for starting a thread in ****** cycling

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 07:10 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Just ignore what people say on the site that starts with R... it's occasionally helpful, but it also seems to be overpopulated by young bros. It's like shouting into a room full of college-aged boys.
Not only that, but when you sign up for an account on that site, the site keeps sending you semi-spam email about which popular thread to read, etc. I've clicked the unsubscribe link to no avail and keep getting that crap. Had to finally set up a spam filter to send it to junk mail. Now I wish I'd never set up a r****t account.
Old 10-30-19, 07:27 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
@RMoudatir
Back in my day people didn't have the annonymity of the internet to hide behind when they insulted you...they had to do it to your face, in public.

I grew up in Chicago in the 1960's and 70's and I can't tell you the number of times strangers on the streets would hurl insults at me and my friend as we rode. Insults from cars, pedestrians and other bikes...sometimes people sitting on their porches.

Internet trolls don't know you, don't care about you and you shouldn't give them a second thought.

They're just like the smelly woman on the bus who insults your choice of shoes, or the impatient man on the train platform who barks at you to enter the train even though people are still coming out.

Learn to discern whose opinions count and ignore the rest.

(I'd also like to give a "shout-out" to the BF moderators and members who do a nice job of keeping things here civil.)
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 10-30-19, 07:54 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by RMoudatir
I don't know where to start but I recently made a post on a ****** (starts R ends with a T, censored for some reason, pronounced "read it") forum cycling about me having difficulty getting muscle soreness and thought that muscle soreness was an indicator of a good workout. I gave some background information of how I started cycling and what kind of riding I do. I mentioned that I did a 20 mile ride a few days ago, that I was going full gas all the way but that even when I was hurting all the way, that I experienced little to no soreness. I just asked for any advice that would help me.

After I made the post, people started commenting things such as "how autistic are you?" "we aren't here to stroke your ego". One person even asked in what time I did 20 miles and I said in 1:20 hr and I get so many negative downvotes for that and he says that it is pedestrian speed. Someone even shared my post to another forum and they are all putting me down saying how embarrassingly slow I am and that their grandma rides faster than me. I've become a laughingstock now all over ******. Honestly I feel unmotivated to even go out on the bike anymore. I just cared about breaking my own personal records and improving my fitness, I could care less if I'm slower than 90% of cyclists. I feel pretty down and unmotivated to cycle.
Two mindsets to consider.

First, it is my opinion that as a whole people are generally more reactive and less civil than a generation ago. Take all forum responses with a grain of salt and understand there are cyber bullies out there looking to pounce.

Second, learn to understand and develop that you have a choice (internal locus of control) on how you want to react to incivility. The world is not fair. A lot of interweb tough guys would cower if confronted face-to-face. Ultimately, the decision Not to ride is on you.
Old 10-30-19, 09:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'll just point out that 20 miles in 1.3 hours is a bit better than average for cyclists. Actual speeds, not internet speeds. If you don't believe me, go onto Google Maps, trace out a random route and check the predicted time that the trip takes. Google simply uses analytics of actual bike rides to predict the likely speed.

Additionally it's all relative, not only to individual capabilities but also relative to where that person is with respect to his conditioning. These comparisons don't really matter.
Old 10-30-19, 09:06 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
15 miles per for over an hour. Yeah, I'd feel pretty good about myself if I were able to ride that pace. Alas...
Old 10-30-19, 09:06 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
always have a "F Off" chambered and ready to dispense to haters
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 10-30-19, 09:13 AM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Two mindsets to consider.

First, it is my opinion that as a whole people are generally more reactive and less civil than a generation ago. Take all forum responses with a grain of salt and understand there are cyber bullies out there looking to pounce.

Second, learn to understand and develop that you have a choice (internal locus of control) on how you want to react to incivility. The world is not fair. A lot of interweb tough guys would cower if confronted face-to-face. Ultimately, the decision Not to ride is on you.
I feel like this forum is much, much more civil, and I've been a regular in the P&R forum. I actually came back here after being off the board for years, because the community here is both smaller and generally more helpful. We've had some of the most helpful members of the cycling community, past and present, right here on this forum as regulars.

I don't know where to start but I recently made a post on a ****** (starts R ends with a T, censored for some reason, pronounced "read it") forum cycling about me having difficulty getting muscle soreness and thought that muscle soreness was an indicator of a good workout. I gave some background information of how I started cycling and what kind of riding I do. I mentioned that I did a 20 mile ride a few days ago, that I was going full gas all the way but that even when I was hurting all the way, that I experienced little to no soreness. I just asked for any advice that would help me.

After I made the post, people started commenting things such as "how autistic are you?" "we aren't here to stroke your ego". One person even asked in what time I did 20 miles and I said in 1:20 hr and I get so many negative downvotes for that and he says that it is pedestrian speed. Someone even shared my post to another forum and they are all putting me down saying how embarrassingly slow I am and that their grandma rides faster than me. I've become a laughingstock now all over ******. Honestly I feel unmotivated to even go out on the bike anymore. I just cared about breaking my own personal records and improving my fitness, I could care less if I'm slower than 90% of cyclists. I feel pretty down and unmotivated to cycle.
Part of it is likely how you came off in tone, regardless of intent. That site is huge with a much larger member base. Simply by shear numbers, you're going to have more jerks. I've absolutely found some of the worst behavior and attitudes on that site that would simply not fly here. I don't bother starting topics there, and I don't typically comment on anything cycling related unless I have some useful advice. Don't even bother trying to post a picture of something unless you're ready for a bunch of people to shout "Clean your room/bike/house/wall/hands/dog!" at you. I'd rather frequent this forum, because that one tends to drive me up the wall.
Old 10-30-19, 09:21 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
https://www.******.com/r/cycling/com...s_sore_will_i/
Old 10-30-19, 09:24 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Nothing like getting back on your bike and going for a ride. In minutes you will shed all of that negativity.

When I first joined BF a decade or so ago I posted a request for advice about 24" tubular tires. Perhaps it was the way I worded my post, but I was surprised by how many responses disparaged my question, my intelligence, and my newness to the forum. I've learned to both know what kind of requests are likely to trigger the haters, but also to ignore them when they raise their heads.

Like I said - go ride and leave it behind.
Old 10-30-19, 09:28 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
I've got 20 mile rides around here that can take 2.5 hours. Straight up the entire time.

Your experience is the reason I've got Strava on private. I can track my progress and roughly compare my times to others in the area without becoming part of the circle jerk.

It's also why I don't mention speeds or times here.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 10-30-19, 09:56 AM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I've got 20 mile rides around here that can take 2.5 hours. Straight up the entire time.

Your experience is the reason I've got Strava on private. I can track my progress and roughly compare my times to others in the area without becoming part of the circle jerk.

It's also why I don't mention speeds or times here.
I live in LA and it's reasonably flat here, I had like only 150 ft of elevation gain in 21.5 miles which is really flat so it's less impressive.
Old 10-30-19, 09:58 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Thank you everyone on this thread, I appreciate it all, you guys made my day.
Yeah, the internet and forums can be full of bastiges and crap. It's hard to punch an internet bastige in the mouth when they deserve it, so browbeating is all that's left. And if you can't return the browbeating you receive, it's best to walk away from the keyboard and get back into real life. Real life happens to be so much better than most situations on the 'net anyway.
Old 10-30-19, 10:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
You'll find a wide range of people in the world. Keep in mind that the people on the forums are not paid, although moderation my impact the overall nature of the forum.

Most of the people here are supportive, but you'll often get advice that goes beyond your original expectations. And, if you don't want to hear the advice, then just ignore it and move on.

I'm not sure why links to the Rxxx website have been banned here, as well as elsewhere. I presume at one time they had fairly malicious spamming. But, perhaps you've found a reason to seek a forum that meets your expectations.
Old 10-30-19, 10:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
1. When cycling (or other hobby) are a "subforum" of another forum, all bets are off. It could be a total troll fest. Stick to where the main point of the forum is the hobby itself.

2. You'll need a little more data around what your complaint is about the soreness. Is it due to lack for training for the duration you're trying to do? Is it due to lack of recovery or over training? Is it due to fit?

What specificially hurts? (As in, what muscles, point to it or identify it on a chart and name it).
When does it hurt? During hard efforts? At low cadence? At the end of a longer ride or workout? Immediately after the workout? That night when trying to sleep? Day or so later?

You state you get soreness, but then state one sentence later you didn't have soreness after 20 miles all out.

I'd file 90% of non-racer non-enduro junkie aches and pains down to not being trained for the distance or duration you're trying to do. Taper up to the desired duration or distance. Maybe find a "fondo" plan for a distance similar to what you have trouble with, and follow it.

The rest is a mix of age, bad bike fit, not recovering properly, or not supplementing riding with some light core/leg/arm exercises by doing some yoga or pushups and such. Or maybe run once in a while.

Start there, and don't go to R for a good place for bike stuff. I wouldn't go ask for automotive advice on a bicycling forum either.
Old 10-30-19, 10:31 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I'll just point out that 20 miles in 1.3 hours is a bit better than average for cyclists. Actual speeds, not internet speeds. If you don't believe me, go onto Google Maps, trace out a random route and check the predicted time that the trip takes. Google simply uses analytics of actual bike rides to predict the likely speed.

Additionally it's all relative, not only to individual capabilities but also relative to where that person is with respect to his conditioning. These comparisons don't really matter.
Out of curiosity, do you have a cite for google using analytics on bike times? I ask because every time I do the math, it seems to be predicting 11 mph whether it's hilly single track or smooth road with a downhill slope.
Old 10-30-19, 11:20 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
To your original question: I don't think muscle soreness is a good indicator of whether or not you had a good workout. It is a good indicator that you haven't used those particular muscles strenuously very recently.

Also, if you're truly going "full gas," then 80 minutes all out is a brutal workout whether you're a noob or a UCI pro. If you do it every ride, that's a recipe for plateauing and then burning out.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-30-19, 11:32 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Out of curiosity, do you have a cite for google using analytics on bike times? I ask because every time I do the math, it seems to be predicting 11 mph whether it's hilly single track or smooth road with a downhill slope.
I get different times for bike trips depending on the time of day, and it varies with the number of stop lights, elevation changes, and apparently other factors. The route times differ from one direction and the other direction.

Google has also occasionally notified me that my commute would take longer than usual - giving me a number, 35 minutes for example - clearly already knowing that I'll be taking my bike, what route I'll take and how long it takes me. Google location history can tell me whether I biked, drove or walked on specific trips so it's obvious, to me, that they analyze my movements and patterns.

Google doesn't publish their specific algorithms that I know of, but they most definitely calculate trip times dynamically. The bike trip predictions appear to me to work just like the driving trip predictions, Google has all the data they need for it*, and I've seen no indications that they don't. I'd say I'm 90%-95% certain of it.

*there might be more biking data in my area, and not enough for more than some kind of default calculation on the routes you checked.

Last edited by wphamilton; 10-30-19 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-30-19, 12:26 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
MOD NOTE: To the couple of you intent on bickering. Take it to PM.
Or move to that other forum where nobody cares what's posted.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 10-30-19 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-30-19, 12:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I get different times for bike trips depending on the time of day, and it varies with the number of stop lights, elevation changes, and apparently other factors. The route times differ from one direction and the other direction.

Google has also occasionally notified me that my commute would take longer than usual - giving me a number, 35 minutes for example - clearly already knowing that I'll be taking my bike, what route I'll take and how long it takes me. Google location history can tell me whether I biked, drove or walked on specific trips so it's obvious, to me, that they analyze my movements and patterns.

Google doesn't publish their specific algorithms that I know of, but they most definitely calculate trip times dynamically. The bike trip predictions appear to me to work just like the driving trip predictions, Google has all the data they need for it*, and I've seen no indications that they don't. I'd say I'm 90%-95% certain of it.

*there might be more biking data in my area, and not enough for more than some kind of default calculation on the routes you checked.

Come to think of it, I'm actually getting different estimates when I'm closer into Boston but I've only noticed it happening in the last few weeks, and very sporadically. I suspect they're expanding the data mapping and the new estimations aren't yet available in the more rural parts of NH and MA that I do a lot of my riding in.

I use it for my gps directions when I'm riding, so I can see the estimated time go down as I ride. It definitely defaults to 11 mph, but now I think it must be transitioning to the system you're talking about in this region.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-19, 12:32 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 534 Posts
You actually care about what someone or something, in the virtual world, who you have never met, will never meet, or know personally, thinks about you and your personal problems, or issues? How sad, this is what wrong with today’s society, too much importance given to social media. You got a few good answers, go with that, and ignore the rest. In one way social media, is like the real world though, your not going to get along with everybody
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 10-30-19, 12:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Or move to that other forum where nobody cares what's posted.
Oh, we care.

Better be carrying a heavy shield if you're standing on the wrong side of the line.
Old 10-30-19, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Oh, we care.

Better be carrying a heavy shield if you're standing on the wrong side of the line.
At first I thought he meant the BF regional forum for Africa.
Old 10-30-19, 01:06 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Thank you everyone on this thread, I appreciate it all, you guys made my day.
But seriously, go ride and forget what others, with negative comments, have to say or write. If I listened to all the negativity out there I would never get out of my house to ride my bike.

Ride on and have fun.
Old 10-30-19, 01:08 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Come to think of it, I'm actually getting different estimates when I'm closer into Boston but I've only noticed it happening in the last few weeks, and very sporadically. I suspect they're expanding the data mapping and the new estimations aren't yet available in the more rural parts of NH and MA that I do a lot of my riding in.

I use it for my gps directions when I'm riding, so I can see the estimated time go down as I ride. It definitely defaults to 11 mph, but now I think it must be transitioning to the system you're talking about in this region.

Thanks!
Yeh I didn't really think about it until I wrote "Google has all the data they need" and realized that it's not necessarily true everywhere. Every ride I've made (save one) started at my door and there are a lot of bikes ridden in my area.

Anyway 11 mph overall seems about right, maybe 12, and even if Google's predictions were more basic and less dynamic than I'm thinking they'd surely base it on the most common or average speeds anyway. So OP's anecdote isn't really "grandma slow". It's faster than most.
Old 10-30-19, 01:11 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by caloso
To your original question: I don't think muscle soreness is a good indicator of whether or not you had a good workout. It is a good indicator that you haven't used those particular muscles strenuously very recently.

Also, if you're truly going "full gas," then 80 minutes all out is a brutal workout whether you're a noob or a UCI pro. If you do it every ride, that's a recipe for plateauing and then burning out.
I get pain when I ramp up duration or if some factor like a headwind has upped the intensity for a prolonged period of time. I think it's also a good indicator of going beyond your baseline (which might be very strenuous) OR not having worked them strenuously recently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.