Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek "400 Series":

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trek "400 Series":

Old 11-05-19, 05:15 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
The 410 in the album above was the same way. Managed to get it and all adhesive off in about 10 minutes at a cost of $7 in product. This is what I did, in case it helps:
  • Didn't bother with a heat gun, just put the frame in full sunlight to heat it up
  • Peeled the chainstay sticker off
  • Got some Turtle Wax sticker/adhesive remover for $7 at my auto parts store: https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-.../dp/B004M3F5CO
  • It's non-corrosive. Spray on chainstay where adhesive is. Wait 2 minutes and enjoy the nice orange citrus smell.
  • Take a credit card or other stiff card and scrape across the adhesive while holding at a 15° angle to the surface.
  • Repeat that process until all goo is gone. Took me two treatments. Spray one last time, then buff with a terrycloth.
  • Admire your hard work while cracking a beer. Wax chainstay. Let dry. Buff one last time.
  • Finish beer. Then ride it like you stole it.
That's sort of my method, except that the sunshine up here pales in comparison (literally) to the sunshine in ATL. I use a heat gun, peel the decal, wrap the adhesive with strips of toilet paper, and then squirt with WD40. Crack a beer, and enjoy my evening. In the morning it all comes off, but sometimes the stubborn leftovers need a shot of mineral spirits. I'll then "feed" the paint with a little Fluid Film. Hey man, its got lanolin! Wax with Renaissance Wax after that.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-05-19, 05:41 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2357 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 1,187 Posts
Yes, tell us more about this "full sunlight" phenomenon of which you speak. The elders here regale us with stories of experiencing such things in days of yore here in the great mid-wet... er... mid-west, but we often have to ask them to stop before they start confusing and frightening the young'uns.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 11-05-19, 05:48 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
The 400's were made from what, '83 to '92? Something like that.

I have an '85 460, and its a sweet bike. Other than them being a diamond-framed steel bike, what characterizes them (for you) to be aggressive riding?
I had one of these ‘85 460 “weekend racers” as they were billed. Loved it! Had all the right stuff for entry level competition. I sold it after 9 seasons and thousands of miles. You can ride these hard and the quick handling is very maneuverable and lively. I now have the big brother 760 and will never sell it.
Old 11-05-19, 06:29 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
@mr,grumpy - yours looks like my '85 410 when I got it (photo below) - Campy Triomphe drivetrain, etc. - Tru Temper decal on the bottom of the seat tube.

It's a nice sport/tour design suitable for whatever you want to do with it.

I did a modernized 650b conversion with fenders, 2x10 drivetrain, indexed DT shifters, long-reach dual pivot brakes, modern bars.....

original

current config.
Old 11-05-19, 07:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
I had a mid 80's 560 for about a decade. It was almost twitchy; fun to ride up to about 40 miles and exhausting thereafter.

While visiting Reno in the late 90's I volunteered at the Reno Bike Project for a couple days. I pulled an unknown model "400 Series" out of their donated stock, and prepped it to sell. I recall it being my first experience touching a Maillard Helicomatic hub. After new grease, cables, rubber, and brake pads, it was ready to sell. I promptly bought it myself for a very reasonable price.

I rode it around Reno for the next week or so, including a trip over to Lake Tahoe on Mt Rose Highway. I found it a much more pleasant ride than the 560. While it handled beautifully coming down the twisties back to Reno, it was neither twitchy nor tiring. I didn't have a way to transport it back home, so I donated it back to RBP.

From what I've read here, it must have been a 420.
Old 11-06-19, 06:15 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I had one of these ‘85 460 “weekend racers” as they were billed. Loved it! Had all the right stuff for entry level competition. I sold it after 9 seasons and thousands of miles. You can ride these hard and the quick handling is very maneuverable and lively. I now have the big brother 760 and will never sell it.
What I like about my 460 is, like you said, it can be ridden hard and fast. I like how it puts every watt to the pavement. Definitely NOT a tourer.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 11-06-19, 09:53 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
What I like about my 460 is, like you said, it can be ridden hard and fast. I like how it puts every watt to the pavement. Definitely NOT a tourer.
I rode my first Century on the 460. The tires were cheap, heavy wire bead 25mm Bontragers. That next spring I tossed them for a fresh set of Michelin 23’s and began a season of speedy TT style riding. Here is a pic of mine:

Old 11-06-19, 10:49 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Oh man, such memories! My 1984 Trek 400 got me back into distance cycling after a four year long hiatus where I only rode short hops to the store on an old mountain bike.

I saw it on top of a pile of junk in the bed of a scrap truck parked at a meter outside the local greasy spoon in a small Vermont town where my then-girlfriend lived one Sunday morning. I walked past it and kept going, but couldn't stop thinking about that bike, so after ten minutes it became unbearable and I rushed back and wrote a note to the driver and slipped it under his wiper, saying "I'll pay you more than scrap for that bike!"

I saw he'd left his parking meter when I passed by a few hours later, so I figured he ignored my note and didn't get my hopes up, but later that evening he called me up and offered to give me the bike. I practically had to shove a twenty in his pocket to get him to take money for it. I still wonder who that guy is, but I'd like to buy him a whole keg of beer.

Someone had replaced the helicomatic wheels with decent 700c Matrix-rimmed wheels from another Trek, so there was really nothing wrong with it. I rode that bike for four years, including my first 60-mile ride and my first tour I'd done in ten years and my first race. It made me feel fast. The brakes were lousy, but I threw a triple crank on it and 700x32 tires and fenders and bar-end shifters and took it on the gravel and passed people with carbon bikes cranking up the steep sections of the famous Vermont "gaps" (lowish but very steep passes in the Green Mountains).

I sold it for $300, I think, back in 2015. What a bike!!