Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Newbie Guide to Vintage Bianchi Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 07:05 PM
FirstDahon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I searched this forum and didn't find a specific guide.

I'm looking for a commuter/inter-modal Bianchi.

What models would work?

Are there any unusual features and/or problems to be looking for when buying a vintage Binachi?
Old 01-15-20, 01:10 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4512 Post(s)
Liked 6,383 Times in 3,669 Posts
Originally Posted by FirstDahon
I searched this forum and didn't find a specific guide.

I'm looking for a commuter/inter-modal Bianchi.

What models would work?

Are there any unusual features and/or problems to be looking for when buying a vintage Binachi?

Hi and welcome aboard, glad you found us and good on ya for indentifying as a newb.

So, your ?'s are very open ended and broad for any succinct recommendation's.

Bianchi is a very historic, iconic, storied marque, we love them and can go on for 1000's of post on just one bike or frame and do so often.

They can be some of the most sought after bike's that there are, and expensive.

That being said, there are many models, levels and pricepoints to consider.

Google is your friend, go there, drill down and find some that interest you then tell us which ones you like so we can help.

We have some members that will likely chime in before then but they will still want a direction.

Last edited by merziac; 01-15-20 at 01:58 PM.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-15-20, 01:29 PM
FirstDahon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I don't know much about bikes, hence the general questions.
I googled Bianchi bikes in general, but couldn't find any buying/collectors' guide so far.
Old 01-15-20, 01:50 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Thank you for your reply.
I don't know much about bikes, hence the general questions.
I googled Bianchi bikes in general, but couldn't find any buying/collectors' guide so far.
That's why you have to drill down and figure out what you want.

Go to the image page and follow through on some that you like, look through ebay and try to get a sense of what you want to spend, that will help dictate what you can get.

You have to put in the work to get there, really go down the rabbit hole to get a good feel for this. I don't know of any guides for this but the info on here will help you once you give us an actual starting point.

Most of us focus on drop bar racing and touring models, so we're a bit selective but cover all types at the end of the day.
Likes For merziac:
Old 01-15-20, 02:23 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Could you tell us why you asked about just Bianchi?

Your first post says “commuter/inter-modal”. If that is the type of cycling you intend, there are many, many brands of bikes that fill that need well.
Likes For Dfrost:
Old 01-15-20, 02:45 PM
FirstDahon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfrost
Could you tell us why you asked about just Bianchi?

Your first post says “commuter/inter-modal”. If that is the type of cycling you intend, there are many, many brands of bikes that fill that need well.
The Bianchi look nice. I'm actually open to the brand as long as I can find a durable bike with parts available without much difficulty and not at higher-than-usual prices.

Which brands/models would you recommend?
Old 01-15-20, 03:00 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Many Bianchis were made by others in Asia. I’ve had several Asian Bianchis.

pretty much any of the bike shop brands were decent. Most of them made a wide range of products from so so low end stuff to top of the line. Too many models and brands to list. I recommend you look for something with higher end parts and better frame tubing. In the Shimano part world, Deore LX, DX, and XT were on the better models. Riveted chain rings are another sign of low end.

In the older used market, I will see bikes that originally sold for $250 at the $100 price point and I will see bikes that originally sold for $900 at the $125 price point. For $25 everything is MUCH better: frame, wheels, components, you name it. Impossible to teach someone the ins and outs of vintage bike values in one posting.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 01-15-20, 03:11 PM
FirstDahon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Many Bianchis were made by others in Asia. I’ve had several Asian Bianchis.

pretty much any of the bike shop brands were decent. Most of them made a wide range of products from so so low end stuff to top of the line. Too many models and brands to list. I recommend you look for something with higher end parts and better frame tubing. In the Shimano part world, Deore LX, DX, and XT were on the better models. Riveted chain rings are another sign of low end.

In the older used market, I will see bikes that originally sold for $250 at the $100 price point and I will see bikes that originally sold for $900 at the $125 price point. For $25 everything is MUCH better: frame, wheels, components, you name it. Impossible to teach someone the ins and outs of vintage bike values in one posting.
Thank you.

How can I identify better frame tubing?

I'm so new to the forum that I can't post photos or links. I found a Bianchi, model unknown to seller and unclear from photos, for $100, but it has lots of rust spots all over on the frame, as shown by the photos. If that's a bike that I can easily remove surface rust, is that something to consider and at what price?
Old 01-15-20, 05:28 PM
merziac

Thank you.

How can I identify better frame tubing?

I'm so new to the forum that I can't post photos or links. I found a Bianchi, model unknown to seller and unclear from photos, for $100, but it has lots of rust spots all over on the frame, as shown by the photos. If that's a bike that I can easily remove surface rust, is that something to consider and at what price?
You're at 10 posts now so you should be able to post them, if not then tomorrow.

On the right track now, dig em up and show them here, we are glad to help but you have to help, it's an interactive process that you must embrace to get much more value from.

Better tubing may/will usually have a Reynolds, Columbus, Tange, Ishiwata sticker on the seatube, many wear off and aren't readable but leave a shadow or remnants that can be used.

Last edited by merziac; 01-15-20 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 06:28 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
For a given seat tube outer diameter, the larger the seatpost diameter, the thinner the tubing gauge and, usually, the better the tubing. Look for a 27.2mm seatpost in a standards 28.6mm (1-1/8") OD seat tube.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069