Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Riding Glasses

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Riding Glasses

Old 10-26-19, 08:37 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Riding Glasses

Questions for you guys! Do you ride with sunglasses? I am not talking about any prescription stuff. I have been getting dirt in my eyes and my eyes water as I build up speed, which is cool while also hitting stunts. I have been looking at some glasses, but would like some opinions and hopefully you guys can point me in the direction I am looking.

What I would like to get is a larger size lens, like an Oakley Jawbreaker or something similar size. I would also like the lens to be easily changeable, as I plan to have lens for different light settings. If you have any other tips or suggestions on other considerable factors, please let me know. I have never worn MTB sunglasses before so any information would be helpful!

Another note, I don't like safety glasses. I have worn plenty from my construction/shop experience. They don't have a great fit and used to slip on me quite often.
Old 10-26-19, 10:26 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Oakley Flak 2.0 XL

I use Oakley Flak. These are not inexpensive. They wrap around so may remind one of safety glasses. These do keep wind and debris at bay. Available both prescription & non-prescription. I cycle mtb & road with Prizm Road lenses in daylight, & clear lenses at night. Oakley offers a less dark Prism Trail lens expressly for mtb riding. It’s supposed to be better in repeating bright/shade/bright conditions. Mine are prescription and work well for me. Got ‘em from SportRx in San Diego online. YMMV
Likes For BarryVee:
Old 10-26-19, 10:28 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Yes! I had an old pair i used for jogging. Those broke so i went to Dicks and picked a $20 pair of glasses that are polarized and have UV rejection. Maybe someday i will look into something more expensive but for now they are working fine.
Old 10-27-19, 07:47 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I have two sets of tifosi podium xc glasses. I went with them mainly down to price. As nice as a set of Oakley would be I can't justify the money when there is a high chance of breaking them or loosing them. The Tifosis are still quality glasses but if you take your time and watch ebay you can pick them up for $30-40 new. I ran cheapo glasses for years and was ok with them but after having the Tifosis it would be hard to go back.
Old 10-27-19, 08:19 AM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I use Oakley Flak's and change the lenses for the situation.
Old 10-28-19, 09:21 PM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Ryders Fyre
Old 11-01-19, 02:34 AM
Alex Atkinson
mechanic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To be honest, I'm not a professional yet, and I have no glasses for riding, but I'm planning to buy one.
I see, Oakley Flak are pretty popular, right? Are them suitable for the newers? Any advice are welcomed.
Old 11-01-19, 08:17 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
Always have,always will for safety mainly.
Old 11-01-19, 09:32 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryVee
I use Oakley Flak. These are not inexpensive. They wrap around so may remind one of safety glasses. These do keep wind and debris at bay. Available both prescription & non-prescription. I cycle mtb & road with Prizm Road lenses in daylight, & clear lenses at night. Oakley offers a less dark Prism Trail lens expressly for mtb riding. It’s supposed to be better in repeating bright/shade/bright conditions. Mine are prescription and work well for me. Got ‘em from SportRx in San Diego online. YMMV
Another vote for Oakley Flaks... I have Prescription ones and I use them for most everything; Causal chilling, Biking, Hiking, Geocaching, ATV/SxS riding, Target Shooting and Shooting Competitions, etc.. etc...

Not cheap, but all day comfortable and good protection from UV, Rocks and ricochets and other eye dangers... I'd buy again. Actually I'm on my 3rd pair in about 10+ years.
Old 11-01-19, 01:31 PM
bianchi4harley

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre, Bianchi IV, pivot Mach 5.5, specialized enduro SL, specialized SX trail II, Kona jake the snake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
given that you are from ****tsford, sunglasses aren't going to help you.
I've been riding on the North Shore for 20+ years, mostly without glasses.
Most of the riding we do is technical, and slower speed, so not much thrown back in your face.
I assume your riding is similar.
However, I do have a pair of Smiths with the interchangable lenses. Dark sun lens, orange, and yellow.

Sunglasses in the forest of the Pacific NOrthwest ?..... you can't see anything even on a bright sunny day.
On a dark rainy day, the yellow lens is awesome.... its like someone actually turned on a light in the dark forest, and keeps stuff out of your eyes for the decents where you do get speed.
The orange lenses are good for the days when its not so dark in the woods.
Old 11-03-19, 11:13 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Oakley Flak Jackets. Work well for my usage and I swap out the lenses depending the day/light.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 11-04-19, 07:34 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
I've worn glasses since 3 yrs old. For me, clip on sunglasses work, flipped down when sunny, up if in a shady section. You may not wear rx glasses, but you can get non-rx glasses that would accommodate clip on sunglasses. The glasses can be held on with securely with "loops" made for that purpose. Any eye center should be able to fix you up with frames with non-rx lenses. Clip on sunglasses are available just about anywhere.

Last edited by freeranger; 11-04-19 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-04-19, 08:16 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Big box store safety glasses, clear or amber.
Old 11-04-19, 08:23 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
I wear glasses with transitions lenses when in the tree line it doesn't help much.
Old 11-04-19, 12:22 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
I wear glasses with transitions lenses when in the tree line it doesn't help much.
Gotta agree 100% with ya! I have a pair of glasses with transition lenses--tried 'em once in the woods--and only once.
Old 11-04-19, 09:51 PM
WannaGetGood
B*ck From Th* D**d

Bikes: 2015 Kona Process 153

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi4harley
given that you are from ****tsford, sunglasses aren't going to help you.
I've been riding on the North Shore for 20+ years, mostly without glasses.
Most of the riding we do is technical, and slower speed, so not much thrown back in your face.
I assume your riding is similar.
However, I do have a pair of Smiths with the interchangable lenses. Dark sun lens, orange, and yellow.

Sunglasses in the forest of the Pacific NOrthwest ?..... you can't see anything even on a bright sunny day.
On a dark rainy day, the yellow lens is awesome.... its like someone actually turned on a light in the dark forest, and keeps stuff out of your eyes for the decents where you do get speed.
The orange lenses are good for the days when its not so dark in the woods.
My riding varies. Some days its fast and loose and some days slower and technical, some days its everything. I shouldn't have labeled the thread as sunglasses, as I am looking for clear lenses, maybe a slight smoke lens and a yellow lens. My problem is my eyes water from going fast and I have gotten dirt/mud in my eyes every ride this fall. How do you like your smiths? What do lenses run you?
Old 11-05-19, 12:27 AM
bianchi4harley

Bikes: Bianchi Sempre, Bianchi IV, pivot Mach 5.5, specialized enduro SL, specialized SX trail II, Kona jake the snake

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WannaGetGood
My riding varies. Some days its fast and loose and some days slower and technical, some days its everything. I shouldn't have labeled the thread as sunglasses, as I am looking for clear lenses, maybe a slight smoke lens and a yellow lens. My problem is my eyes water from going fast and I have gotten dirt/mud in my eyes every ride this fall. How do you like your smiths? What do lenses run you?
The smiths are about 15 years old.. Came with yellow, orange and sunglasses lenses that slide out. Easy switch. I only wear them on dark days when the trails are really wet, or if we are doing a lot of fast downhill riding where you def don't want stuff in your eyes.
They don't fog up unless you stop, and they don't slide down.
I'm sure there are other good brands out there. You are only really going to need the clear or yellows unless you ride in the open a lot.
Old 11-05-19, 04:46 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I have $1.49 clear safety glasses that fit over my prescription frames. They do a good job of keeping debris and wind out and I just demonstrated (since it's cold now) that they keep my eyes from watering when it's below freezing. I think the brand is Cordova, probably these:

https://www.cordovasafety.com/produc...-ec10s-retail/
https://www.ruralking.com/cordova-sl...lasses-spec10s
Old 11-05-19, 08:11 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Flak 2.0 XLs here. Have them in the trail Prizm lenses which provide good contrast in the varying light conditions encountered on my usual rides. They're also super light and fit really well. Good enough to stay on during a tumble.
Old 11-19-19, 05:11 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts

Check out the prescription sport/motorcycle glasses at Walmart. The frames were less then $100 a few years ago. This takes the sting out of my prescription lenses.
Old 11-20-19, 11:09 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
I use safety glasses purchased from an industrial safety supply store. I bought three pair...clear, smoke (indoor/outdoor) and dark. They are fairly large and wrap around and they look like most super expensive high end glasses. Only $7.00 with small corrective inserts for reading. Without the inserts they're only $3.00.
Old 11-20-19, 11:22 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,434 Times in 2,812 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
I have two sets of tifosi podium xc glasses. I went with them mainly down to price. As nice as a set of Oakley would be I can't justify the money when there is a high chance of breaking them or loosing them. The Tifosis are still quality glasses but if you take your time and watch ebay you can pick them up for $30-40 new. I ran cheapo glasses for years and was ok with them but after having the Tifosis it would be hard to go back.
Tifosi Podium XC with the "Light Night Fototec" lenses, (photochromic).
Best cycling glasses I've ever had.
Tint ranges automatically from 25% to 75%; No interchangeable lenses needed.
Old 11-21-19, 12:17 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I lose sunglasses all the time so I've taught myself not to be picky. I usually get something that looks like Wayfarers. The present pair was $30 from Costco, Puma branded
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 11-29-19, 01:09 PM
Billy Bones

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Stihl [the chainsaw folks]...safety rated...$14...lose 'em, bust 'em, scratch 'em, you're not out that much. Look good...I tell folks they're Italian...Milan.
Old 12-07-19, 04:12 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I like https://www.ryderseyewear.com/ photochromatic glasses.