Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Choosing my FIRST road bike. HELP!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-19, 02:27 PM
Ftrain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, this is literally my first post, and I could use some advice and perspective to help me choose my first road bike. My current bike is a literally 20 year old mountain bike that weighs a ton. So I'm sorely in need of an upgrade. I also live now in a highly bike-friendly area so want to get more into cycling for both the fitness and social aspects.

But I'm thoroughly overwhelmed by the choices on the market. It's very intimidating. I also tend to be a bit of an obsessive researcher, meaning I just keep reading more and more and more and don't feel like I know how to lock down a choice. I'm driving my wife crazy with researching this. She wanted to buy me a bike for Christmas, and now we've missed all of the Black Friday sales.

Here's where I am in my search:
My budget is around $1,000. I really want to feel like I've gotten a great value in whatever I choose. I'm not likely to become someone who will buy a new bike every year, so that's why I'm so obsessed with value, but also why I want to get something that I can grow with.

I'm not focused on a particular brand. To the degree to which I'd care, it would only be that I'd like to end up with something that an experienced cyclist would look at and say "that was a good choice".

For geometry/use, I think I need an "endurance" bike, not a racing bike. I don't think I need a "gravel" bike, but the endurance bike I got would probably lean more toward something with slightly wider wheels than super thin racing wheels.

Just like when I buy a car, I never get the lowest end model, nor do I max out with the top of the line, so I think I should be looking at something with a Tiagra or 105 groupset. From what I'm reading, I'm wary of Claris or Sora because they strike me as possibly too low end for someone aspiring to a bike they can grow with for awhile. But am I wrong in that perception?

For frame material, I guess I'd prefer aluminum to steel for the weight. But does that really matter? I don't need carbon, but would like a carbon fork.

I think it seems like I want disc brakes, but not clear that rim brakes are actually an issue.

The terrain I'll typically ride is relatively flat. The weather here is pretty good most of the year, so don't need to often worry about wet conditions.

Boiling down my research, I've zeroed in on this as what I think is representative of what I need in terms of a good value that I can grow into:

Cannondale Synapse AL Disc SE 105

It's a bit above my budget, and I don't love the green color, but it seems like the right frame, groupset, and geometry. Plus as far as I know Cannondale still makes good bikes.

So a few questions:
- For what I say I'm looking for, does that seem like a good choice?
- Is it overkill? Could I save a lot of money with some obvious downgrades that I wouldn't actually notice?
- Are there similar bikes from other manufacturers that you would immediately think of as a better value delivering a similar performance?
- Any diamond in the rough that people who know the sport would go to before buying a big brand from a big box store? Maybe a smaller brand that I could support? (Part of me would find that really attractive to find.)

I really appreciate any advice/perspective you can offer. I hope I've given enough info to go on, but let me know if there's more info that would help. I've tried to do my research before posting this, but really curious if the conclusions I've reached make sense.

Many thanks!
Old 12-08-19, 04:22 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I would look at a Norco

VALENCE A 105 2018 model on sale for under 9. If they have your size left. Here is the best priced one for your budget. But after look at the whole line of the Valence models to compare. Their Section model might be worth a look as well.

VALENCE A 105
Old 12-08-19, 04:37 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Here is a link to all their Valence models, 2018-19 models. The 2018 models seem to be 30% off now. Of course you need to know your size.
Norco Valence models
Old 12-08-19, 08:28 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
I ride Cannondale but you could give a Giant a look. Not all of your parameters but they have some models in your budget. If your going to stick with riding, for fun or more, than the Synapse will be a good frame that you can upgrade the components as you grow. The Sora is a groupset I have on one of my bikes and it is very reliable. I do have the 105 groupset on my gravel bike and it is a true improvement and would require it for any next bike purchase. When all is said and done if you have a bike that fits you and you are comfortable riding it you will spend more time on the bike and that is the point. I would suggest getting the best bike you can afford as it will be cheaper in the long run instead of growing out of your budget bike when you hit it's limits and want a better ride. Just my .02 but I am also the poster child for buying too low on the food chain and losing money selling off the lower end stuff to get to a decent bike.
Frank.
Old 12-08-19, 09:34 AM
Aonex

Bikes: Topstone Lefty, Defy, FR5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd check out the new Giant Contend AR line, perfect do it all bike, endurance geometry, has clearance for up to 38c tires and I believe the Tiagra and 105 models have hydraulic disc brakes.
Likes For Aonex:
Old 12-08-19, 10:56 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Ftrain

Diamondback Haanjo 3 - $1000 - Sora with 46/30 crank and Tektro flat mount disc brakes - plenty of attachment points for fenders, racks, etc.

https://www.diamondback.com/haanjo3

Kona Rove DL - $1099 - Sora with 50/34 crank and 11-34 cassette (sub 1:1), fenders, TRP Spyre disc brakes

https://konaworld.com/rove_dl.cfm

Salsa Journeyman Sora 650 - $1199 - Sora with 46/30 crank with 11-34 cassette, Promax disc brakes - many attachment points

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journe...eyman_sora_650

Not sure if you can find a new bike with a carbon fork within your $1000 budget.

You can also check Craigslist - lots of good bikes that might meet your needs if you have patience or are willing to drive.
Old 12-08-19, 11:33 AM
diverge52rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Not sure of the final intended use for the road bike but the new Claris R2000 does work and it's cheap. Take the groupsets out for ride, although you certainly can't go wrong with a higher end one. Don't dwell too much on the purchase, we all have to start somewhere, and if you enjoy cycling you'll regret the time spent on the sidelines.

...and if there are regrets, think of it as the fun anticipation for your next purchase.
Old 12-08-19, 12:40 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Ftrain
I'm wary of Claris or Sora because they strike me as possibly too low end for someone aspiring to a bike they can grow with for awhile. But am I wrong in that perception?
Sora is good, reliable, afffordable 8/9 speed equipment. I have Sora (9 speed) and 105 (10 speed from a couple years ago) and don't notice any difference. Just keep your drive train properly indexed with a good chain that gets lubed as nec. with your choice of lubricant. I like wax.

Currently, 105 is 11 speed and Tiagra is 10 speed.
Old 12-08-19, 12:41 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I was in a similar position less than 2 years ago, wrote a very long post here asking for advice with a $1k budget. Ended up with a really good deal on a Giant Contend SL Disc w/ Tiagra after scouring the local bike shop websites for weeks. I think you are on the right track as far as what you're looking to buy, OP.

The nice thing about getting Tiagra 4700 is that it's the lowest tier Shimano groupset that would allow you to upgrade to 11-speed in the future should you want to, although upgrading is by no means necessary. The Tiagra/105 tier is absolutely fine for anything a budding roadie needs.

You do plan to test ride some bikes, right? Coming from a heavy tank, any road bike will feel like a rocket and should put a huge grin on your face.
Old 12-08-19, 01:11 PM
Lameness

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motobecane is a great bike for the money.
Old 12-09-19, 05:32 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I got a special Fuji Sportif model .... you might not be able to find one .... it is basically this Fuji Bikes | Sportif 1.5 Disc) which has mech discs and a Tiagra drivetrain, except it has 105. But Tiagra is also excellent.

Basically All manufacturers offer the same bike at the same price point---Al frame, CF fork, $1000 .... they are all good bikes, and all will meet your needs. Except for Giant, which makes its own frames, all the frames probably come from the same couple companies .... maybe Giant . All the parts are the same, pretty much .... either outsourced from a major manufacturer like Shimano, or made in-house, but all to about the same specs and cost.

The idea that any one brand is better than another .... I don't believe it. They All make good bikes, because the market is so competitive, they couldn't survive otherwise ... plus, the tech is so simple, it would be Hard to make a bad bike.

I checked out the Haanjo when I was shopping for exactly the type of bike you are shopping for---it is more trail-oriented, with bigger wheels and tires and such. I actually put in an order and cancelled it, because I figured I don't do much off-roading, and the Sportif offered everything I need. The Cannondale Synapse is good, no doubt---I know a few guys who own and love them. The Contend was also high on my list, but I was able to get the Fuji for less ... not sure if that is still the case.

A lot of people will tell you to pick one based on how it looks, because they all ride the same. I'd pretty much agree. if it has all the parts you want, and it looks like a bike you'd like to own and ride ... you can't really miss.

I have old Sora but not the latest ... the latest Sora is supposed to be really good, upgraded with the tech developed in the older higher-tier models. 105 is amazing, but Tiagra is pretty darned good and Sora is supposed to be too. Also, you can buy a new groupset down the line and hang it on the same frame.

I'd look at every bike listed as an "endurance-geometry" frame and find one that you like. I have to admit, if my Sportif had only come in pink with hearts and flowers decals, I would have bought a different bike.
Old 12-10-19, 07:35 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
At $1000 your options are going to be pretty much the same across the board. My thoughts, look for a bike with Shimano 105 rim brake. On a road bike, in particular, disc brakes that are not hydrologic are just there for marketing and really are not an improvement over regular rim brakes. Unfortunately, a Shimano 105 hydro disc brake groupset in itself costs more than $1000, so I personally wouldn't recommend getting one bike over another at that price range due simply to the brake type, if you find a rim brake equivalent it will probably be better value.

That being said, some of your best value will probably be from visiting all of your local bike shops, see which models are a few years behind and pick them up for a steal.
Old 12-10-19, 09:07 AM
Ftrain

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for the support and thoughtful replies. The suggestion of gravel bikes is an interesting one, and you've also suggested some brands I didn't really know much about. I had the chance on Sunday to talk with a guy at a bike shop nearby. He was trying to up-sell me pretty hard to bikes starting at $1,200, which I want to avoid if I can. But was helpful perspective. He actually made the suggestion of trying some gravel bikes at least as options. Maehlochs, he also commented on the lineage of the different groupsets, trickledown technology, etc. He was a Trek shop, but also pulled up a couple of Giants. I had my young son with me, so couldn't take anything out to test ride, but I know I need to ride a few to really feel what's comfortable. I have a lot of local shops near me, so plan to hit a couple on Saturday to see what I can find. Will let you know where I end up!
Likes For Ftrain:
Old 12-10-19, 10:03 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Aonex
I'd check out the new Giant Contend AR line, perfect do it all bike, endurance geometry, has clearance for up to 38c tires and I believe the Tiagra and 105 models have hydraulic disc brakes.
I was between the contend AR3 and the Domane AL3 before I found a 2019 Topstone Sora on clearance.