Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Big dude needs seat advice

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 03:22 PM
mikolay87

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had my new kona for about a month. I love the bike but I need a new seat. I am 330 lbs and the stock seat is killing me. what do you recommend for a guy my size.
Old 05-21-14, 03:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
There's no easy answer, you just have to try a bunch.

There are much wider saddles out there, with some approaching the size and shape of tractor seats, but these can make pedaling hard and/or rub the insides of your thighs unless you have a very erect riding posture.

Sit on a few to get an idea of the support they offer and whether they suit your posture, then make a short list and toss a coin. Also, consider adjusting the saddle height slightly to the short side of what is ideal for efficiency. This will have you "sitting lighter" more of the time with more weight transferred to the pedals. It also will encourage pushing back, and/or lifting slight off the saddle on climbs which will break things up and offer relief.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-21-14, 04:08 PM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a perfect world you have a shop nearby that has a saddle loaner program so that you can try out several before purchasing one. In my world I have a pile of poor fitting saddles before I found the Brooks B-17. The B-17 works for many but again there is always those few butts that it doesnt work for. Best of luck on your search.
Old 05-21-14, 05:30 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wider is not better, better is better.

weight should be on the "sit bones, oddly the width of sit is the least variable metric between people...

I prefer my Serfas RX... Keeps pressure off parts that should not have pressure on.

Lot's and lot's of people swear by the Brooks saddles (different models for different body positions, comfort, touring, road)...

Post a picture of you on the bike from the side.
Could be a matter of fit, or could be just a matter of acclimating to riding itself...
Old 05-21-14, 05:50 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I use a Brooks B17. Works well for rides up to 4 to 5 hours. That said, it took a half a riding season, or 500 to 700 Miles and several treatments with Proofhide to break it in. Brooks now has a saddle that needs nobreak in, the Cambium, but I have not tried it.
Old 05-21-14, 06:30 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too have a Brooks B17. I love it but a good pair of bib shorts is also helpful.

Charlie
Old 05-21-14, 06:48 PM
asque2000

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5, ~2006 Specialized FSR XC Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been happy with my WTB Speed V Pro Gel seat. It's not amazing considering it's a 400 gram seat but I found it has saved my butt for super long rides (it's a dual purpose Road and MTB saddle). But as others have stated, you should find a saddle that works for your body shape and size. If you go by a LBS, they should let you try a bunch of different options before you buy.
Old 05-21-14, 08:55 PM
bransom

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Selle Anatomica. Sort of like a Brooks with a slot cut in it. Expensive but totally worth it, and (for me, anyway) comfortable from the very first ride.
Old 05-21-14, 09:06 PM
mikolay87

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks I will go to the lbs and see if I can try a few of the recommended seats out
Old 05-22-14, 07:58 AM
szewczykm

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Trek 7.2, Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 to Brooks B-17.

It made a big difference for me.
Old 05-22-14, 09:05 AM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Brooks B-17 is a great seat. A quality leather seat stretches a bit under your sit bones, like a hammock. Leather seats last forever with minimal care, and look classy.

For a bigger guy, check out the Brooks Flyer. It's a B-17 with springs. I'm 220#, and I feel those springs doing their job when I ride on rough roads.

If you like a wider seat, Brooks makes a B68, or the B67 is the same wider saddle with springs.

Brooks also sells versions of most of their seats with cutouts to relieve perineal pressure; those are called "imperial" models. The design of the Selle Anatomica is based on this concept.

If you try a Selle Anatomica, get the "X" model, it's made for heavier riders. The standard model would stretch out too quickly for you.
Old 05-22-14, 10:30 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am 350# and this works well for me for 20 miles/day
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C1C88ZY/...V1Z9ZU3D&psc=1
Old 05-22-14, 10:37 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's only been a month give it a little more time. It takes a few hundred miles at least to start breaking in not only the seat, but your rear end as well. Also, as Ursa Minor said, a good pair of bib/shorts make a world of difference.
Old 05-26-14, 02:49 PM
fujione

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
I too have a Brooks B17. I love it but a good pair of bib shorts is also helpful.

Charlie

+1

joe
Old 05-26-14, 09:38 PM
donalson
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a bit over 300#... I have a brooks b17 on my road bike and a flyer on my touring bike... I like them both but prefer the b17, not sure why (as the leather is from the same mold) might just be a slight tweak (height/nose up etc) difference or slight variance in the leather... but both are very nice and the honey colored ones get a beautiful patina as you put more miles on it.

but i'm sure there is a plastic saddle out that I would be just as comfortable if not more on... just a matter of trying out different things...

also as mentioned... a good pair of bibs make a big difference.
Old 05-27-14, 05:52 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Someone said wider is not better. Well, softer isn't always better either, opposite of what most folks starting out would think.

I have a soft seat on my old bike from last year. I started late in the summer. 45 minutes until my rear started hurting pretty bad. I rode 580 miles the last 3 months of summer/fall. Never got use to the pain. I rode 45 minutes before it hurt and could only last about an hour and a half until the pain was too much.

I bought a Giant Escape which has a very hard saddle stock compared to what I had last year. I'm at 240 miles on it and ride at least an hour and a half for my usual riding. This weekend, no pain at all. I don't know how long I could go not having shorts, but the pain is now gone.

The difference between the two was, last year's pain on the softer saddle was from the fleshy parts of the rear. Never got use to that. With the Giant and the hard saddle, I could feel I was definitely set down on the sit bones and it hurt for 200 miles until I got use to it. Now, no pain for the amount I ride at one sitting.
Old 05-27-14, 06:15 AM
SammyJ 

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
another for Brooks B17
Old 05-27-14, 06:19 AM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did some adjustments to the angle and position of my saddle on my road bike. That alone helped greatly. I think the best thing I did was a pair of cycling shorts. I am not a fan of the look of the bib's so the ones I have look like regular cargo pants with the built in padding. World of difference in comfort and I don't feel weird wearing tights. At 260lbs I would probably look like a sausage on two wheels if I rode in a full kit.
Old 05-27-14, 07:10 AM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
I bought a Serfas RX for my Hybrid and after a few rides I liked it so much that I bought another one for my cross bike. Geometry is totally different but the same seat works perfectly for me on both. Serfas has a 90 day comfort guarantee so if it doesn't work you're not stuck with it. The bike shop said they've never had one brought back.
Old 05-27-14, 11:03 AM
jeff556

Bikes: Seven Evergreen, Co-Motion Americano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a bike shop that sells Specialized bikes in the area you may want to swing by see if they have an assometer you can use. Knowing how wide your sit bones are can help narrow the range of saddles to chose from.

I have very wide sit bones. I'm currently riding on a Selle SMP Plus and love it.
Old 06-01-14, 09:58 PM
WrightVanCleve

Bikes: 2013 Trek One Series

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Serfas Rx. Never looked back after I tried one of these.
Old 06-01-14, 10:20 PM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Chalk up another for the b-17, but I also endorse the 'Imperial' perineal cutout.

I've heard good this about the sprung versions as well.
Old 06-01-14, 10:34 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mikolay87
I have had my new ......... the stock seat is killing me. what do you recommend for a guy my size.
Patience... and a new saddle.

I can't think of any other activity that effectively toughens-up the sit bone area that is used for cycling. It is normal to have a sore butt when beginning cycling. Depending on how much/often your bicycle... the soreness can last some weeks.

The manufactures know they can't possibly predict what saddle will work best with whoever buys any particular bicycle. So... don't expect the "stock seat" to be of particularly high quality.... or anywhere close to being best for your bottom.