Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What is Club Tombay?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What is Club Tombay?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 07:52 PM
VNA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Tomber is the correct spelling (if you speak french) but one should not talk about falling which we all do from time to time unfortunately!
Stay safe
Old 06-11-15, 07:57 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
It was called a Tombay, as kind of a joke, or a takeoff on the French, back many years ago. I remember when the "old timers" here were passing along the stories about their falls, and if one should switch to clipless. Man, I miss the regulars from then.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 06-12-15, 04:21 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
It was called a Tombay, as kind of a joke, or a takeoff on the French, back many years ago. I remember when the "old timers" here were passing along the stories about their falls, and if one should switch to clipless. Man, I miss the regulars from then.

Bill
Admttedly off topic, when was "then," and who were the "old timers" and "regulars"? I joined Bike Forums in 2008, and I can recall such threads about Club Tombay.

I do think Fifty-Plus is "different" now with a subtle transition from perhaps a "golden age," but I can't specifically enunciate the change. I think we do still have regulars and old timers though they may be different now.

Just sayin'.

PS: I just went back to the OP, and noted this thread began In March 2012, and was revived in 2014, and again this year. It appears to be one I recall from "back then," including Stapfam's precise definition, and Miss Kenton's witty comments. I was away from cycling for the first time in decades from June to October of 2012, so I guess for me that was the watershed between then and now.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-12-15 at 04:58 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 06-12-15, 06:52 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Jim,
I was only a few months ahead of you in joining here, most of the "regulars" then aren't posting, or participating much at all, here. Beverly comes round every so often, she is into FB so she can interact with her grandkids, Tom Bombadil hasn't been here in a quite a while, save a one time appearance about a year ago, East Hill got fed up with some of the P&R crap, one guy in particular was very rude, and got personal about her moderator actions, Solvang has not been here in quite a while, either. Denver had an argument and dust up a few months ago, and he got banned, Weak Link, I won't go there about that situation, and there are several others that were here and very active.

Some when to the Master's Racing Forum, when it split off a few years ago, and some are just pretty much P&R people that like that sort of thng, even a few Road Cycling regulars have moved from our group here, into that forum's discussions.

Stapfam got fed up, I swap emails with him, and he is on FB, as well. Miss Kenton is infrequent, as she is busy with life things, but she is here and reads a lot. And I know you have had the pleasure of riding with them a few times, lucky thing for all of you to meet up with each other, to me. We got to meet her and Mr. Miss Kenton, last November, wen they were here to have the holiday with her son and daughter-in-law, while he was in Nav training at NAS Pensacola.

RetroGrouch is still a regular, he stuck it out after he had the bad crash, You are someone I see and read posts from, Dudelsack comes around a little from time to time, a few others are from back in that time period from my first recollections. Not everyone has moved away, just some people that stick out to me.

I agree that we have regulars here, now, just that it is a different place from when I first joined, sorry if that seems wrong to anyone. Maybe its me that needs to get away for a while, as it seems to be changing more rapidly, and not always for the good. End of my explanation as to why I felt that way about this topic.

Bill

Old 06-12-15, 09:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Jim,

I was only a few months ahead of you in joining here, most of the "regulars" then aren't posting, or participating much at all, here. Beverly… Tom Bombadil… East Hill… Denver had an argument and dust up a few months ago, and he got banned, Weak Link, I won't go there about that situation…

Stapfam… Miss Kenton… I know you have had the pleasure of riding with them a few times, lucky thing for all of you to meet up with each other, to me. We got to meet her and Mr. Miss Kenton, last November….

RetroGrouch… Dudelsack…. Not everyone has moved away, just some people that stick out to me.

I agree that we have regulars here, now, just that it is a different place from when I first joined, sorry if that seems wrong to anyone. Maybe its me that needs to get away for a while, as it seems to be changing more rapidly, and not always for the good. End of my explanation as to why I felt that way about this topic.

Bill
Hi Bill,

Thanks for that gracious and informative reply. You certainly are a maven of this Forum. I at least recognize all of the names, actively read some, and have corresponded with a few. I don’t recall seeing East Hill on Fifty-Plus, but she sent me a nice reply to my Introduction to BF.

Originally Posted by East Hill
Hi Jim, it sounds as if you never let go of your love of cycling! Glad to have you here to contribute .

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !
Reading BF, and especially Fifty-Plus is a daily activity for me. A favorite radio commentator, Dennis Prager once stated that one should take a vacation eveyday, not to go away, but at least do something different unrelated to work, and it’s easy for me to slip over for a visit to Bike Forums for a break. It’s hard for me to understand what can be so contentious about it all.

I had posted about a Fifty Plus Ride:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Besides meeting these E-acquaintances face-to-face, it is also much fun to meet them as residents of Bike Forums and especially Fifty Plus. None of my own personal circle know much of the Forums whereas those attending the Annual Rides are now face-to-face acquaintances and also know the other personalities on the Forums. So we now as face-to-face friends could chat about those other subscribers and their personalities as we perceive the personae they project on the Forums, making you all more “real” than I alone would imagine...

For all those whom I’ve met on our three Annual Fifty Plus rides, you really get what you read…I’d like to say more about whom and what we discussed, but by mutual agreement, what happened in Boston, stays in Boston.
My own particular, self-appointed contribution to this Forum, other than posting, is to participate in and contribute to the "Chronicles of the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides".
Old 06-12-15, 09:45 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Jim,
Not a "maven", I had to look that one up, I am just someone grateful for the support I received here, when I was in a bad place health wise. Please don't classify me in that way, it makes me seem like I am claiming to be more that I am to this forum.

Respectfully,
Bill

Old 06-12-15, 10:06 AM
Jim from Boston

Not a "maven", I had to look that one up, I am just someone grateful for the support I received here, when I was in a bad place health wise. Please don't classify me in that way, it makes me seem like I am claiming to be more that I am to this forum.
No classification intended; just a respectful term, according to one definition as "one who is knowledgeable."

(Not to be a smarty-pants, but I try to select my words carefully; I had considered "habitué." )

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-12-15 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-12-15, 05:48 PM
miya310

Bikes: 2016 Kona Jake, !985 Miyata ridge runner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I guess I'm a member also. Been riding a hybrid for a few yrs. Last year fell in love with a 86 Miyata 310. Bought it. First road bike, first ride, never made it out of the driveway. Had to put the old petal straps on to try this. Car coming, stopped for car, forgot straps were on tightly, on the driveway laying on my side with blood.
No straps on pedals anymore.
Old 06-12-15, 10:28 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Went out a few Sundays ago with a friend, who is getting back into riding after many years off. The first thing I noticed was he was clipping out on his left. I asked him if it was related to the fact he was left handed. He laughed and said no-he was intentionally practicing on both sides so he'd be ready to avoid embarrassment. He went out with his wife last weekend. Clipped out to the left, tipped over to the right. Small audience and no damage done, but testimony to the fact that stuff happens, despite the best plans and practice.
Old 06-13-15, 10:22 AM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I just switched to new Speedplay zeroes, which are a lot harder to get out of than the frogs I've had on. Today, I'm certain, I will join club tombay...again!
Old 06-13-15, 04:39 PM
Wheever

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6 disk, 2016 Scott Big Jon Fat Bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
...and so I did.
Old 06-13-15, 04:47 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't think this is a club I wanna join. Foot stuck on platform pedal causing a fall? Other than, perhaps, a Shimano Saint, I ain't seein' it.

Last edited by ltxi; 06-13-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-13-15, 07:06 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
I remember having several incidents when I first switched to clipless but I did't apply for the list because I was too new. When I did apply I had all the boxes checked off. I had been taking pictures during a group ride. Wasn't paying attention to my position on the bike path. Ran off of the trail and into a grove of pepper trees. I made a magnificent effort of dodging trees and staying upright and for the most part succeeded.

I was so proud of myself I forgot to unclip after coming to a stop. I managed to save the paint on the bike by sacrificing the skin of a shoulder. So I had a group in attendance, one walked over and removed the camera from my hand and too a picture. I also had a nurse in attendance, though she was a regular with our group and a OBGYN nurse. As soon as she checked to see if I was OK she fell over from laughter describing the fall into the pepper pieces.

I prize the award and hope to never duplicate it.
Old 06-13-15, 08:18 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by ltxi
Don't think this is a club I wanna join. Foot stuck on platform pedal causing a fall? Other than, perhaps, a Shimano Saint, I ain't seein' it.
Its only for a "clipless" style pedal that you get membership in Club Tombay. SPD, SPD-SL, Speedplay, Look, Candy, etc, that don't rely on toe-clips and straps. I have managed to avoid induction into that august body, so far. I probably just jinxed that one.

Being that the member that made the certificate, you can see one in Digital Gee's avatar, left here, someone that is in the club, and that is agreeable to the Council of Elders, will need to undertake that chore. The senior member of the Council passed away a few weeks back, so we are in deep kimchee now.

Bill

Old 06-20-15, 10:21 AM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please post the picture! Trust but verify.

Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I remember having several incidents when I first switched to clipless but I did't apply for the list because I was too new. When I did apply I had all the boxes checked off. I had been taking pictures during a group ride. Wasn't paying attention to my position on the bike path. Ran off of the trail and into a grove of pepper trees. I made a magnificent effort of dodging trees and staying upright and for the most part succeeded.

I was so proud of myself I forgot to unclip after coming to a stop. I managed to save the paint on the bike by sacrificing the skin of a shoulder. So I had a group in attendance, one walked over and removed the camera from my hand and too a picture. I also had a nurse in attendance, though she was a regular with our group and a OBGYN nurse. As soon as she checked to see if I was OK she fell over from laughter describing the fall into the pepper pieces.

I prize the award and hope to never duplicate it.