Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Itty bitty kickstand?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Itty bitty kickstand?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-12, 09:11 AM
ebartom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Itty bitty kickstand?

My daughter is very jealous of her big brother's kick stand. She rides a 12" specialized hotrock, but I think I'd rather get her a kickstand for the 16" specialized hotrock, and let it be something she'll grow into. I saw a kickstand at REI that is supposed to adjust to fit a bike from 12"-20", but with that flexibility comes a lot of extra metal, and the thing is very heavy. Does anyone have a kickstand for a 16" bike that they like? It seems likely we'll need to order online, and I'm a bit worried about fit and weight.
Old 06-10-12, 10:11 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know a lot about kickstands, but the one I have on my 25-inch Trek beater looks like it could be cut down to fit almost anything. It even has inches marked on it where you might want to cut if you knew how long you wanted it, which nobody would until they tried it...
I got it at a garage sale years ago, probably for about 50 cents, but I still see them in stores. Now that I think of it, my son's first bike, 20+ years ago (he's 31 now) had a stand, so I know they're out there.
Old 06-11-12, 07:00 AM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
E, I'll have to check whats on my daughters 12". It's an adjustable kickstand; works great on her 12" but not so well on the 20" bike it was on previously. The one I have has a plate that goes on top of the chainstays and I highly recommend that design for the smaller bikes. THe other aftermarket kickstands I have just use a bolt to attach the KS to the factory plate which works quite well for the bigger bikes but not the smaller ones.

Once I get the brand name and model number (assuming I can find it) I'll post it up for you and pics of Sissy's (my daughter) bike showing it in use.
Old 06-12-12, 11:56 AM
Rockfish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The typical pletscher or greenfield stand can be cut to any length. (Search for "greenfield kickstand" on amazon or ask almost any LBS)
Not sure you can mount the stand on very small frames though. If it has a factory kickstand plate that's a good sign!
Old 06-12-12, 06:22 PM
cabledawg

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts

Still dont know the brand or model, but as you can see I took the lower section off altogether and it fits perfectly. And you can also see the top plate I had to use (which came with this ks) since there was no mounting plate under the chain stays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HPNX1044.jpg (102.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-12-12, 08:39 PM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll have to look at the bike more closely again. Specialized says it has an "integrated kickstand mount" but I'm not quite sure what that means. That looks like a nice kickstand, cabledawg. The bike is only about 14 lbs, and some of the kickstands feel like they weigh a significant fraction of that.