Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-15, 09:25 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
How does the anti helmet crowd explain the fact that professional racers, club riders, and city and government sponsored riders are required to wear helmets? There must be a reason for it!!!!!
You can't be serious. Oh, nevermind. It's rydabent.
Old 10-29-15, 09:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
How does the anti helmet crowd explain the fact that professional racers, club riders, and city and government sponsored riders are required to wear helmets? There must be a reason for it!!!!!
Professional racers? Who cares what they do since they and their activities have little if any relevance to every other non competitive cyclist?

Club riders? Combination of who cares, and herd mentality and rigid enforcement of club member conformity.

City and government sponsored riders (whatever/whomever the heck they are)? Dreaded b'crats in a wicked conspiracy with sanctimonious safety nannies to enforce unnecessary "requirements!"
Old 10-29-15, 09:40 AM
skye

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Once again, science does not support the use of helmets.

Bicycle trauma and alcohol intoxication.
Int J Surg. 2015 Oct 19. pii: S1743-9191(15)01278-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.10.013. [Epub ahead of print]

This is a retrospective review of trauma patients presenting to a Level I trauma center after bicycle-related crashes from January 2002 to December 2011 was conducted. Demographics, injury data, alcohol intoxication, helmet use, and clinical outcomes were reviewed. Blood alcohol level (BAL) was considered positive if >0.01 g/dL. Variables were compared between patients based on BAL: negative, 0.01-0.16 g/dL, and >0.16 g/dL. 563 persons met the study criteria.

According to the study, drunk cyclists "were significantly less likely to wear a helmet (4.7% vs. 22.2%, p = 0.002)"

Yet, at the same time, the study concluded "The injury burden in intoxicated patients, including head trauma, was not different compared to non-intoxicated patients."

In short, there was no difference in head trauma between helmeted and helmet-less riders.

You can yammer all you want about "MUH HELMET SAVED MUH LIFE!!!!" The fact is, it didn't.
Old 10-29-15, 10:39 AM
GTIMKIV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skye

Int J Surg. 2015 Oct 19. pii: S1743-9191(15)01278-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.10.013. [Epub ahead of print]

This is a retrospective review of trauma patients presenting to a Level I trauma center after bicycle-related crashes from January 2002 to December 2011 was conducted. Demographics, injury data, alcohol intoxication, helmet use, and clinical outcomes were reviewed. Blood alcohol level (BAL) was considered positive if >0.01 g/dL. Variables were compared between patients based on BAL: negative, 0.01-0.16 g/dL, and >0.16 g/dL. 563 persons met the study criteria.

According to the study, drunk cyclists "were significantly less likely to wear a helmet (4.7% vs. 22.2%, p = 0.002)"

Yet, at the same time, the study concluded "The injury burden in intoxicated patients, including head trauma, was not different compared to non-intoxicated patients."

In short, there was no difference in head trauma between helmeted and helmet-less riders.

You can yammer all you want about "MUH HELMET SAVED MUH LIFE!!!!" The fact is, it didn't.

I never wear a helmet anyway, but now I want a beer!
Old 10-29-15, 02:02 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Maybe, all those drunks were riding more slowly.

Last edited by njkayaker; 10-29-15 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-29-15, 02:40 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Int J Surg. 2015 Oct 19. pii: S1743-9191(15)01278-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ijsu.2015.10.013.
According to the study, drunk cyclists "were significantly less likely to wear a helmet (4.7% vs. 22.2%, p = 0.002)"...
I take issue with the boldly stated "In addition, the risk for a collision with a motor vehicle was significantly lower."

Drunk cyclists could have had higher incidents of crashing by themselves, which would lead to a lower proportion of injuries where motor vehicles were involved. In fact, that seems much more likely doesn't it? In that case it does not follow that the risk of collision was lower. Risk of other kinds of accidents was higher for drunks, so there were more of them relative to collisions.

You'd expect a more severe injury with a collision with a car than if you hit a sidewalk bump and fall over. So the drunks would have more of the less traumatic injuries relative to the number of more traumatic collision injuries. The authors failed to normalize the results against the type of accident, leading to the suspect conclusion that helmets didn't help them.

It also needs to be evaluated in context of conflicting results such as Use of Alcohol as a Risk Factor for Bicycling Injury, Guohua Li, MD, DrPH; Susan P. Baker, MPH; John E. Smialek, MD; Carl A. Soderstrom, MD which concluded: "Alcohol use while bicycle riding is associated with a substantially increased risk of fatal or serious injury." Why did Harada et. al find that there was no difference in injuries, when Gouhua and others find that there is a significant difference in injuries? In light of the logic fails above, I suspect that there are other problems in methodology and in analysis in the cited study.
Old 10-29-15, 06:51 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by wphamilton
In light of the logic fails above, I suspect that there are other problems in methodology and in analysis in the cited study.
You apparently forget that any research against helmets is always perfect and any for is always flawed.
Old 10-30-15, 01:44 PM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I take issue with the boldly stated "In addition, the risk for a collision with a motor vehicle was significantly lower."

Drunk cyclists could have had higher incidents of crashing by themselves, which would lead to a lower proportion of injuries where motor vehicles were involved. In fact, that seems much more likely doesn't it? In that case it does not follow that the risk of collision was lower. Risk of other kinds of accidents was higher for drunks, so there were more of them relative to collisions.

You'd expect a more severe injury with a collision with a car than if you hit a sidewalk bump and fall over. So the drunks would have more of the less traumatic injuries relative to the number of more traumatic collision injuries. The authors failed to normalize the results against the type of accident, leading to the suspect conclusion that helmets didn't help them.

It also needs to be evaluated in context of conflicting results such as Use of Alcohol as a Risk Factor for Bicycling Injury, Guohua Li, MD, DrPH; Susan P. Baker, MPH; John E. Smialek, MD; Carl A. Soderstrom, MD which concluded: "Alcohol use while bicycle riding is associated with a substantially increased risk of fatal or serious injury." Why did Harada et. al find that there was no difference in injuries, when Gouhua and others find that there is a significant difference in injuries? In light of the logic fails above, I suspect that there are other problems in methodology and in analysis in the cited study.
Instead of uninformed conjecture, please offer the exact methodological flaws which make your unsupported assertions more accurate than the author's findings.

P.S. Also, read the actual study, not just the abstract. I only posted the abstract because the study is behind a paywall. I assume if you have the credentials suitable for critiquing the study, you also have access to the resources that will get you to the full article.
Old 10-30-15, 01:57 PM
wphamilton

Instead of uninformed conjecture, please offer the exact methodological flaws which make your unsupported assertions more accurate than the author's findings.

P.S. Also, read the actual study, not just the abstract. I only posted the abstract because the study is behind a paywall. I assume if you have the credentials suitable for critiquing the study, you also have access to the resources that will get you to the full article.
I did read the full text of the abstract- that's where conclusion I criticized came from. It wasn't in what you quoted. Since I already see objectionable conclusions there, I am not inclined to pay just to confirm that they've made mistakes!

I thought that I explained the objection pretty well. If you have a specific question about that, I'll be happy to elaborate.
Old 10-30-15, 02:03 PM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by njkayaker
You apparently forget that any research against helmets is always perfect and any for is always flawed.
Evidently.

Anyone cites it as showing that helmets don't help needs to at least reconcile the opposing conclusions from the Guohua Li et al study, since it's only the drunk riders that he's basing it on.
Old 10-31-15, 09:20 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
For cycling, showering and walking on stairs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
66.jpg (66.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg
77.jpg (82.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-01-15, 03:13 PM
AJMas

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why is there even a question here, there are zero pros to not wearing a helmet. Sure it might make you look dumb, but it could be the difference between life and death.
Old 11-01-15, 10:47 PM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Our litigious society?
Old 11-03-15, 07:55 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
How do stats on drunk cyclist apply to the cycling community as a whole?
Old 11-03-15, 08:11 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Originally Posted by AJMas
Why is there even a question here, there are zero pros to not wearing a helmet. Sure it might make you look dumb, but it could be the difference between life and death.
Read on, young cyclist. Come back and ask more questions once you've absorbed a bit of the discussion. If you can't take the time to read points from both sides, just go ride your bike and please don't talk to me about wearing a helmet.
Old 11-03-15, 08:11 AM
joejack951

How do stats on drunk cyclist apply to the cycling community as a whole?
What do pros competing in a race for millions of dollars have to do with the cycling community as a whole?
Old 11-05-15, 11:02 AM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Science has more bad news for the pro-helmet crowd. Helmet leglislation -- and thus, increased helmet usage -- does *nothing* to reduce the hospitalization rate for cyclists.

I really hope none of you chowderheads respond with "hurr, durr, helmet legislation doesn't mean people more people wear helmets." Yes, yes it does mean exactly that. Please don't double down on the stupid.

Bicycling injury hospitalisation rates in Canadian jurisdictions: analyses examining associations with helmet legislation and mode share. - PubMed - NCBI

RESULTS:

In Canada, over the study period 2006-2011, there was an average of 3690 hospitalisations per year and an estimated 593 million annual trips by bicycle among people 12 years of age and older, for a cycling hospitalisation rate of 622 per 100 million trips (95% CI 611 to 633). Hospitalisation rates varied substantially across the jurisdiction, age and sex strata, but only two characteristics explained this variability. For all injury causes, sex was associated with hospitalisation rates; females had rates consistently lower than males. For traffic-related injury causes, higher cycling mode share was consistently associated with lower hospitalisation rates. Helmet legislation was not associated with hospitalisation rates for brain, head, scalp, skull, face or neck injuries. (emphasis mine).

Last edited by skye; 11-05-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-05-15, 11:11 AM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It is also important to note that, aside from gender, the single biggest factor in injury reduction was cycling mode share -- the higher, the safer. This is not the first study to note that the more riders there are on the road, the fewer injuries there are among cyclists.

Unfortunately, helmet promotion, in multiple studies, has been shown to reduce cycling mode share, because it creates an atmosphere of fear and danger around a relatively safe activity.

Look, I don't care if you want to wear a helmet, that's your neurosis. Just don't tell others they should. That's wrong and puts other people in danger. If you don't like the way someone else rides, keep your pie hole shut.
Old 11-05-15, 11:11 AM
njkayaker

Bicycling injury hospitalisation rates in Canadian jurisdictions: analyses examining associations with helmet legislation and mode share. - PubMed - NCBI

RESULTS:

In Canada, over the study period 2006-2011, there was an average of 3690 hospitalisations per year and an estimated 593 million annual trips by bicycle among people 12 years of age and older, for a cycling hospitalisation rate of 622 per 100 million trips (95% CI 611 to 633). Hospitalisation rates varied substantially across the jurisdiction, age and sex strata, but only two characteristics explained this variability. For all injury causes, sex was associated with hospitalisation rates; females had rates consistently lower than males. For traffic-related injury causes, higher cycling mode share was consistently associated with lower hospitalisation rates. Helmet legislation was not associated with hospitalisation rates for brain, head, scalp, skull, face or neck injuries. (emphasis mine).
This study is using "helmet legistlation" as a proxy for helmet use.

What this study needs to report is what the frequency of helmet use of the people hospitalized before and after the legislation.

One is left to wonder why they didn't report that.

I really hope none of you chowderheads respond with "hurr, durr, helmet legislation doesn't mean people more people wear helmets." Yes, yes it does mean exactly that. Please don't double down on the stupid.
You'd be more convincing with a link than an insult.

... you chowderheads ...
You claimed, a while go, that the antihelmet crowd didn't use insults.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-05-15 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-05-15, 11:16 AM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did read the full text of the abstract- that's where conclusion I criticized came from. It wasn't in what you quoted. Since I already see objectionable conclusions there, I am not inclined to pay just to confirm that they've made mistakes!

I thought that I explained the objection pretty well. If you have a specific question about that, I'll be happy to elaborate.
Your response was nothing more than "nah, I don't believe you so you're wrong."

What specifically was wrong about (a) their data collection or (b) their statistical calculations? And how did you manage to figure that out without reading the article itself, even though peer reviewers, who actually did read the article, found no such flaws.

You wanna do science, let's do science. You claim flaws. It's your job to prove it. Go.
Old 11-05-15, 12:36 PM
wphamilton

Your response was nothing more than "nah, I don't believe you so you're wrong."

What specifically was wrong about (a) their data collection or (b) their statistical calculations? And how did you manage to figure that out without reading the article itself, even though peer reviewers, who actually did read the article, found no such flaws.

You wanna do science, let's do science. You claim flaws. It's your job to prove it. Go.
Old 11-05-15, 01:06 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts

In short, all I need to know about you is that you are dishonest. Again. And again. And again.

"The risk for a severe head injury (AIS Head ≥3) was significantly lower in helmeted patients (8.4% vs. 15.8%, p = 0.035)."

-mr. bill
Old 11-05-15, 03:19 PM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
In short, all I need to know about you is that you are dishonest. Again. And again. And again.

"The risk for a severe head injury (AIS Head ≥3) was significantly lower in helmeted patients (8.4% vs. 15.8%, p = 0.035)."

-mr. bill
Are you claiming I'm making up quotes? I'm not. I'm also not misrepresenting the author's findings, as you are. Once again, I quote the authors' own words from the conclusion statement in the abstract: "The injury burden in intoxicated patients, including head trauma, was not different compared to non-intoxicated patients. In addition, the risk for a collision with a motor vehicle was significantly lower. Nonetheless, these patients rarely utilize a helmet."

If you have trouble comprehending that, let your lips move when you read it.

Also, before you offer any more critiques -- and particularly before you call me a liar again -- I suggest you read the entire article, as I have, and you will understand why your selected single number doesn't mean anything in the context of the study.

Let me know when you're ready for an academic discussion rather than cheap-ass slander. That is disgusting behaviour.
Old 11-05-15, 03:43 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Are you claiming I'm making up quotes? I'm not.
I'm claiming that you selectively quoted - and your bottom line "in short..." was beyond blatantly dishonest.

I don't know why you choose to do this, because I believe you are clearly are smart enough *NOT* to do this. I could be wrong there.

But this isn't the first time you've done this (see Thompson et al), and I suspect it won't be the last time you will do this.

Realize you've got wphamilton *AND* me calling you to task here. This may never happen again.

-mr. bill
Old 11-05-15, 04:41 PM
skye

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
I'm claiming that you selectively quoted - and your bottom line "in short..." was beyond blatantly dishonest.
More slander. Sorry, but the researchers said what they said, and if you think your conclusions are more correct than theirs, I expect you to publish a rebuttal that would pass peer review -- as they did.

You can't just make up stuff because you disagree with the conclusions.

And if this weren't a conversation between two anonymous entities, your next conversation would be with my attorney. As it stands, you hide behind internet anonymity to libel me.

I'm waiting for a logical, cogent response, instead of more ad hom. Do you think you can do that? Frankly, given your performance thus far, I doubt it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.