Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It's the motor that matters... right?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-17, 07:25 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've always argued that the motor (person) mattered much more than the bike in terms of speed, so I could ride my classic bikes with no desire for the "fast" and "light" new technology, but the rides below have me questioning that.

Two rides.

First ride was on my (Bikes direct) motobecane uhh... super record? Aluminum. FSA/Sora components. Schwalbe Durano 25c tires. Semi aero rims (maybe... 35 mm v profile?). Has an SKS raceblade fender on the front and a "skinny" rack on the back. (It's my "commuting" road bike) And it's also my rain bike. It was drizzling that day, so I didn't take the nice bikes out. I wasn't wearing a rain jacket cause it wasn't coming down hard enough for me to want to deal with the jacket. 80PSI rear 70PSI front.

I finished the climb in 9:01.

Second ride, two days later. On my Landshark Roadshark. Steel, Dura ace 7400 components. GP 4000 II 25c tires. Not at all aero rims. (Box section essentially.) Same PSI as above.

I finished the climb in 7:51.

I tried my absolute hardest on both of them, average heart rate for both rides was 169/168 and max 187/190 respectively. So if average HR is anything to go by, I tried harder on the first ride.

The only thing that was different is that on the first ride, I had taken a few days off beforehand, whereas yesterday I did a VERY slow recovery ride. And, on the first ride I pushed the bottom section MUCH harder, so by the time I got to the top, I was done. Very done. I got smart this time around and relaxed on the flat bottom section, and had plenty of energy at the top.

Can a tiny bit of rain and a day off make up for a minute on a short climb with exactly the same effort levels?
Or, does the bike really matter that much?
Old 05-28-17, 07:31 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 118 Posts
Lol @2 rides

means nothing
Old 05-28-17, 08:16 PM
reggieray
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My best time on this climb is 43:33 @ 291W average. That was on a $700 aluminum frame.

On a separate attempt of that segment on a $3000 carbon frame, same wheels same tires, I averaged 297W and finished in 45:58. What accounts for the majority of the difference?

Wind.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Geiger1.JPG (66.2 KB, 271 views)
Old 05-28-17, 08:18 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Misread. The wind... yes the wind. Plus you tried a lot harder on the second attempt.
Old 05-28-17, 08:21 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33

Can a tiny bit of rain and a day off make up for a minute on a short climb with exactly the same effort levels?
Or, does the bike really matter that much?
It was not the exact same effort:

on the first ride I pushed the bottom section MUCH harder, so by the time I got to the top, I was done. Very done. I got smart this time around and relaxed on the flat bottom section, and had plenty of energy at the top.
Yes, a faster bike is faster. No, it is not that much faster.
Old 05-28-17, 09:13 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I dont argue it's the motor so I can ride older bikes, I argue it because imo, it's very true. That doesnt mean an older bike will perform as well as a newer one, but I do believe the rider makes by far the biggest difference. As the old saying went 'íf you traded bikes with Eddy Merckx, who do you think would be faster'?
Old 05-28-17, 09:24 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 5,012 Times in 1,783 Posts
Proof that "steel is real"!
Old 05-28-17, 09:41 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
is it the motor that matters? yes. are the bikes and conditions comparable? not even close.
Old 05-28-17, 09:47 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
It was not the exact same effort:

Yes, a faster bike is faster. No, it is not that much faster.
In my experience, a faster bike is easier.
Old 05-28-17, 09:55 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have an 11-pound bike and I have a 30-pound bike (sans water in both cases). I can ride just as fast on the heavier bike (given equal gear ratios) but it takes a lot more effort overall to keep it in motion.
Old 05-29-17, 07:25 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
There is other stuff like energy list in the system to flex, friction, tires.
Old 05-29-17, 07:29 PM
lsberrios1 

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scientifically riding in the rain is faster because water reduces the friction between the road and the tire therefore having better rolling resistance.
Old 05-29-17, 09:01 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Scientifically riding in the rain is faster because water reduces the friction between the road and the tire therefore having better rolling resistance.
But the water adheres to the tire and gets thrown into the air, creating a constant lifting action - and more energy.
Old 05-29-17, 09:08 PM
dwing

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarbo
I have an 11-pound bike and I have a 30-pound bike (sans water in both cases). I can ride just as fast on the heavier bike (given equal gear ratios) but it takes a lot more effort overall to keep it in motion.
Which ones gonna get you to the top more often faster on a cat 3 climb? I dont think anyone disputes a 30 bike will maintain a top speed over long flat distance same as lightweight carbon.
Old 05-29-17, 09:18 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
You're over thinking and assigning too much to data that's full of unknown variables.

Athletes have always talked about being in "the zone", and cyclists are no different. Things like diet (both what's eaten and timing of the last meal), hydration at the start, wind direction and speed (big outside variable), temperature, sleep, rest or tiredness from prior rides, and so on can account for far more difference than the bike.

However, if one looks at the bike itself, fit makes the biggest difference, followed by tires, and gearing, then it's a big step down to all the others on short rides, though the bike's comfort can become very important on longer rides because it affects fatigue (or at least the feeling of fatigue).

In any case the difference between the two times is too large for the bikes to account for, so it points to one or more of those other unknowns. One might be as simple as your climbing strategy, wherein you were climbing smarter the 2nd time, by pacing yourself better.

-------------------

Side note.

Years (decades ago) I was trying to demonstrate that people unconsciously sabotage themselves when time trialing, and get the riders past the issue.

This was before the types of training tools we use today, so I set up a simple experiment. I laid out a short course ride which included a significant climb preceded by a 2 mile flat along which the climb could be seen and anticipated. I had the riders ride the course the first time at night where they couldn't see that far ahead (unlit country road) beyond the headlights, then repeat the ride a week later in the daytime.

Without exception all the riders were faster at night, proving (or at least I claimed so) that seeing the upcoming hill they unconsciously started backing off and saving for the climb, whereas at night they weren't mentally climbing until they reached the foot of the climb.

I bring this up here because it shows that our mental state has a big effect on how we ride, so we can add it to the list of variables.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 05-29-17 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 04:29 AM
gbru316

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure how much faith you can put into analysis containing only 2 data points. Too many other variables. Sleep, diet, hydration, overall body condition (caused by physical activity preceding your rides) all factor into the data you collected.

Repeat the experiment 5-10 times with each bike, then average the results for each bike. It won't be perfect, but it'll allow better analysis.
Old 05-30-17, 05:27 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts

A single data point is utterly meaningless, as others have already said. There are too many external factors other than the bike which can influence the results, not to mention the internal factor--the rider himself.
Old 05-30-17, 05:39 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
HR isn't a reliable source for comparison, so I would suggest redoing the test using a power meter.
Old 05-30-17, 06:28 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
HR isn't a reliable source for comparison, so I would suggest redoing the test using a power meter.

And run it 50 times, back to back, alternating which bike you ride first.

Better yet, recruit 50 riders to do the test while you record the data, and have only a third party , who doesn't know the hypothesis interact with the riders. ( and black out all brand identifiers o the bikes and components.)

And make sure the rider's position on each bike is exactly equal.

Then we might have the start of some useful data.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-30-17, 11:03 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Can a tiny bit of rain and a day off make up for a minute on a short climb with exactly the same effort levels? Or, does the bike really matter that much?
All of my best performances have come after a taper.
Old 05-30-17, 11:37 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The bike CAN make a huge difference.

Excess hub drag, tires, riding position can dramatically slow you down. Especially on climbs, bike weight also matters. Tires especially can make a huge difference.