Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist Yells "Hot Pizza", Hits Pedestrian

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist Yells "Hot Pizza", Hits Pedestrian

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 07:13 AM
Gidgmom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a sociopath.

Old 10-13-17, 07:15 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The very first "Mom with stroller" on the Minuteman Bikeway was actually a "Dad with stroller," before it even officially opened.

The bridge decks were only rough finished so I had to carry the stroller with my child across the bridges.

One person on a bike who complains about close passes by people in cars saying "we really need a 3 foot passing law" also complains about people talking with their hands while walking on the bike path, and how they "hit me in the shoulder while I passed."

Actual King of the Mup segment - "Stroller Slalom".

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-13-17 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-13-17, 07:28 AM
Coasterbrakefan

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gidgmom
Sounds like a sociopath.

Yep.
Old 10-13-17, 11:33 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
MUPs aren't usually dangerous.

People riding bikes on MUPs on the other hand may be quite dangerous.

-mr. bill
some especailly those who do not slow down when conditions warrant it, but lots of or the typical non bike user behavior is dangerous.... walking 3 or 4 abreast so they can talk, taking both sides of the MUP, dogs of leash, kids off leash, kids who can barely control their bike, skateboard, scooter not being closely watched, dogs on long leashes darting across the path, people darting across the path without looking, people stopping suddenly in the middle of the patch.

which is why i ride hyper aware and will always slow or stop if in doubt and use a bell or call out "on your left.....or on your right if more accurate"

Old 10-13-17, 12:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
some especailly those who do not slow down when conditions warrant it, but lots of or the typical non bike user behavior is dangerous.... walking 3 or 4 abreast so they can talk, taking both sides of the MUP, dogs of leash, kids off leash, kids who can barely control their bike, skateboard, scooter not being closely watched, dogs on long leashes darting across the path, people darting across the path without looking, people stopping suddenly in the middle of the patch.

which is why i ride hyper aware and will always slow or stop if in doubt and use a bell or call out "on your left.....or on your right if more accurate"
Agreed on your last point, however none of those actions are dangerous in and of themselves. They aren't even dangerous when a cyclist riding appropriately is around them. It is the act of operating a vehicle faster than conditions permit that is the dangerous act, those other actions are simply actions that increase the likelihood that incorrect vehicle operation goes wrong.

All are very inconsiderate and possibly against park rules, though.
Old 10-13-17, 03:57 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by VRC
I despise morons who think they are too cool to say "on your left"!

When you are really concerned that they aren't going to move I've found it helps to say, nice and loud from a ways back "Bike coming through on your left!" And then you just have to slow down! (I know I'm preaching to the choir here.)
mumble mumble LEFT!

I don't consider it as effective as saying "passing"

I still sometimes wonder how the convention of shouting "LEFT!" at people, from behind, became the signal for "Please move a little to the right."

I do find it a bit amusing that some cyclists think that they are justified in getting angry at people who, when shouted at, from behind, with the word, " LEFT!" actually move left.

Yes, I think it is a stupid convention.

As far as the topic, like many others, I am suspect of a cyclist with that many injuries.

Last edited by Robert C; 10-13-17 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-13-17, 04:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
I still sometimes wonder how the convention of shouting "LEFT!" at people, from behind, became the signal for "Please move a little to the right.".
It's an example of how something that makes sense in one context fails completely in all other.

On your left didn't start out as a demand that the listener did anything. In fact is was sort of the opposite. It was a simple courtesy called out when there was room to pass, so the passee wouldn't be startled, and also served as a reminder to hold one's line.

As such it represented the utmost in courtesy, comparable to saying excuse me as you passed someone in a crowded super market aisle.

However, it' seems to have become corrupted by cyclists who expect folks to keep the way clear for them, and now is uttered as a command comparable to "get the $%&^ out of my way, *&^%$!!!!!.

The question isn't what to say or not to say, but what are reasonable expectations of clear right of way in heavy traffic.

We are not fire engines or ambulances who can order up a clear road whenever necessary. Those in our way were there first, so as the passer, it's our responsibility to give every courtesy to the passees.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-13-17, 07:42 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Gee, what a dumbass.

Do this instead. (and he's going just slightly faster than the walkers).
The NYC bridge singer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3zn5dQiOEw
Is it just me, or was he singing to the tune of the star wars theme song for a good stretch? Also...it seems pretty poor form to even be riding a bike there in the first place, regardless of the markings...
Old 10-13-17, 10:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
.....Also...it seems pretty poor form to even be riding a bike there in the first place, regardless of the markings...
Why bad form?

It is a designated bike path, not an MUP, and there's a pedestrian path right next to it. (bikes on one side, pedestrians on the other (but no fence)

So, if there's any bad form involved, it's on the pedestrians not the cyclists. All in all, he's showing good grace and patience. We need more like him on crowed paths and roadways.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-14-17, 01:01 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why bad form?

It is a designated bike path, not an MUP, and there's a pedestrian path right next to it. (bikes on one side, pedestrians on the other (but no fence)

So, if there's any bad form involved, it's on the pedestrians not the cyclists. All in all, he's showing good grace and patience. We need more like him on crowed paths and roadways.
Well, it was 100:1 ratio pedestrians to bikers. I'm not saying he was a dick or anything, just that a different route would have been more prudent. Doesnt seem like a smart place to take a bike.
Old 10-14-17, 06:12 AM
Coasterbrakefan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, it was 100:1 ratio pedestrians to bikers. I'm not saying he was a dick or anything, just that a different route would have been more prudent. Doesn't seem like a smart place to take a bike.
Um, if that's the case, then I guess it's "prudent" of me to ride on the road. Lot's of times it's a 100:1 ratio cars to bikes. What about when 99% of people are breaking the law and going over the speed limit? It's "prudent" of me to do the speed limit because I'm a minority?! WTF is this? Majority rules?! There are rules! Whether everyone follows them, everyone disobeys them, somewhere in between, whatever! The rules stand. I have a right to the road, he has a right to the trail. They're breaking the law, he and I are not! Seriously, WTF.
Old 10-14-17, 07:01 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Well, it was 100:1 ratio pedestrians to bikers. I'm not saying he was a dick or anything, just that a different route would have been more prudent. Doesnt seem like a smart place to take a bike.
I believe he was riding over the Brooklyn Bridge. Not many options for a different route unless he has one of these:

Old 10-14-17, 08:14 AM
FBinNY 

not that many choices unless he can swim. This is coming ogg a bridge.

Old 10-14-17, 09:12 AM
Abe_Froman

not that many choices unless he can swim. This is coming ogg a bridge.
I'm not familiar with the area obviously. is the street on the bridge a normal surface street, or is it an expressway of some sort? It's sort of hard to tell from the video. If it's not a safe-ish street, then yea obviously he's fine and I'm wrong
Old 10-14-17, 10:16 AM
FBinNY 

I'm not familiar with the area obviously. is the street on the bridge a normal surface street, or is it an expressway of some sort? It's sort of hard to tell from the video. If it's not a safe-ish street, then yea obviously he's fine and I'm wrong
This is a pedestrian and bike lane, elevated above the roadway of the Brooklyn Bridge. There's not enough space to build the Champs Elysees, so we make do by dividing it, bikes on one side, pedestrians on the other. This is what it's supposed to look like, but of course it doesn't.

Last edited by FBinNY; 10-14-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-14-17, 12:29 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Back to the MUP. I don't always call out if there's enough room to pass safely. When I do call out, I say "bicycle behind you" or "bicycle passing", letting the people know I'm there and giving them the choice of what to do about it.
If I have to pass someone who seems unpredictable, FIRST I MOVE to the left*, THEN I simply bark "hyup! hyup!" as I approach. They hear that I am coming and am on their left and instinctively know to move right, or at least to cringe in place and NOT move left. I find people are unprecitably stupid and since words take thought to understand, process then respond to, I prefer to communicate directly with the reptilian brain.

* or on the right, depending, as (some) people are stupid and randomly walk wherever they please without thinking or looking, and (some) cyclists are also stupid and ride wherever they please without thinking or looking. I sometimes force my (lower speed) pass with whatever sliver of pavement they leave available, and bark to let them know where I'm coming.

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I feel the exact same way, which is why I do not, and will not use a bell on any of my bikes. I will call out to you pleasantly if I am going to be passing you, but there will be no airhorn or shrill bell to scare the hell out of you and possibly make you jump directly into my path.
If someone is walking on the right, or a group is walking single file, I don't expect them to move. They have a right to be there, they have a right to be SAFE, and they have a right to not be harrassed or buzzed for being there.

If they are two abreast, but only blockng one side, and traffic is light, I'll just pass them on the other side of the path/trail/"mup road".

However, if some gaggle of morons is meandering along blocking the whole path, I will yell MOVE! as I approach or pass. Sometimes more than once.

And if they are two abreast and traffic is heavy, and everyone else is having to swerve and dodge to get around them (ala the GWB path, or the QB path) then I will yell "SINGLE FILE!" as I approach and/or pass.

And I think that even when walking around NYC widealks, let alone a shared path, women w/ double wide strollers walking two abreast are really. effin. self. absorbed. and. rude.

But mostly its about traffic. No traffic, and I can work around one blockage of idiots and keep going no problem. Lots of traffic, and the idiots (both walkers AND idiots on bikes) just wear me out.

I almost never ride shared paths... I'd rather be in traffic on Riverside than ride on the west side bike path. But at the river crossings there is just no alternative.
Old 10-14-17, 02:06 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Is it just me, or was he singing to the tune of the star wars theme song for a good stretch? Also...it seems pretty poor form to even be riding a bike there in the first place, regardless of the markings...
Bad form? Basically, there are 4 ways into manhattan for a cyclist coming from the east: Brooklyn Bridge (which this looks like, Manhattan side by City Hall / Chinatown), Manhattan Bridge, Williamsburg Bridge all go into downtown. Queensboro bridge goes into Midtown.

The problem with the Brooklyn Bridge crossing is that it is a tourist thing to walk across the bridge, and they clog up almost every available inch of space. The only real way to solve the problem would be a $5 toll and not letting more than X people onto the bridge until someone gets off the other end. Not really gonna happen.

Most commuters use the Manhattan bridge because there are few pedestrians. A lot use the Billyburg, because its wider and you can kinda get around the pedestrians. No sane uses the Brooklyn bridge during the day by choice, so I can't say why this guy is there. Bad form? I dunno maybe. But really you just have to yell at the tourists. Just because.
Old 10-15-17, 02:20 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography

I almost never ride shared paths... I'd rather be in traffic on Riverside than ride on the west side bike path. But at the river crossings there is just no alternative.
I would much rather ride on the road with traffic than on an MUP with what I call white cord zombies - those plugged in, ass deep in their phone or the ever familiar white cords of headphones dangling from their ears. When I leave my apartment complex, there is just under 2 miles of MUP that I use to get to the road and 90% of people are plugged in and not paying attention.
Old 10-15-17, 02:37 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
You do know that some of the people who are distracted by things in their ears while walking are also distracted by 1.21 gigawatt (DBR, actuall wattage may be lower) ICE while driving?

-mr. bill
Old 10-24-17, 06:45 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Personally, I say "Passing on your left".
Old 10-24-17, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
ha! I remember when my Dad once said: "your Mother & I don't like it when you refer to us as your folks"
Old 10-26-17, 05:16 AM
Coasterbrakefan

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZmanKC

Personally, I say "Passing on your left".
Love Sunday comics!
Old 10-26-17, 04:27 PM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
fact is indeed stranger than fiction

dude has a broken hand with no intention of slowing down because he simply does not like to and because of his broken hand cannot

Yells "hot Pizza" still working on this one

pedestrians are on right so he passes on far right

plows into the pedestrian then yells at her but in his defense according to him he was yelling a babies in strollers which makes perfect sense in bizzaro world

cannot fathom others do not know what hot pizza means as they should turn smile and get the hell out of his way in the land of hot pizza

faceplants (becomes somewhat pizza face like) and posts on facebook how stupid the lady was for being on the trail the same time as he was there (agreed folks should know better to be there if hot pizza is on the trail)

Wishes he had a go pro to record it all ( don't we all wish that as well oh brother that would get some hits)

Then complains that folks are pissed because he is a man and if a woman yelled hot pizza ran over an old lady off trail on the right and then screamed at babies nobody would be upset

Is this guy on Strava because I want to follow him at this point. I think that section should be named Hot Pizza from this day forward but only on the climb fro pr's of course