Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wabi Cycle offered me a deal for their defective item, which one to choose?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wabi Cycle offered me a deal for their defective item, which one to choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-19, 01:32 PM
wabi_damon
Steel is Real

Bikes: Wabi Lightning, Wabi Special, Wabi Thunder, Merckx Extra Corsa, Colnago Tecnos, Colnago Super, Cinelli Supercorsa, De Rosa Professional, De Rosa Replica 73, Serotta Colorado iii, Koga Miyata Full Pro, Panasonic RT-3500, Lynskey R320, Time VXRS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Hey, my goal was to make sure both sides were told. While our accounts were similar, there were things stated by you and interpreted by other others that I felt were mischaracterized. Some of that was misinterpretation of terms while other things felt more accusatory.

For example, you said "almost seemed like he tried to get rid of the defects cuz if a newb like me can notice something like that". To me, that is an unfair accusation. As soon as we heard about the issue, we tried to resolve it. We didn't try to convince you otherwise. Also, you ordered a water bottle cage. It would be pretty disingenuous of us to try to pass off a frame without bottle mounts to someone that was trying to install a bottle cage.

In regard to the frame, you stated "return the frame only". You may have meant one thing, but that would be interpreted as Wabi asking you strip the bike to the frame. That wasn't the case. The request was to ship the whole bike back (with the front wheel and saddle removed and handlebar unclamped). I suggested keeping the wheels as that may make it easier for you to pack and ship it back. Once it was clear that you were uncomfortable with those steps, I suggested taking it to a shop for disassembly.

I was upfront saying that we made a mistake and also stated that we could have done things a little differently. However, I feel it is merited to set the record straight on other items. And, yes, reputation is important - especially when others in the thread started making assumptions or accusations that weren't necessarily true. As a small company, we should have the opportunity to address those assumptions or accusations in a public forum (especially when commenters get the luxury of anonymity).

As for the 30 emails, that was only in reference to all the communications before you purchased the bike. I wasn't complaining about what it took to resolve the issue as it was our mistake. Once again, it didn't feel like the whole story was being told.

Damon
Likes For wabi_damon:
Old 06-27-20, 06:29 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Hey wabi_damon ,

I own a Wabi Lightning from the original Wabi days (Richard Snook ownership), and Richard both sold and assembled the bikes, so mistakes as discussed here would never happen. In fact, Richard would never have accepted a frame from his supplier with such as basic defect, much less built it up and shipped it. This is a learning curve for you, because at your price point you must pay close attention to quality if you wish to survive in the market. It’s one thing for discount sellers like bikesdirect to ship bikes rife with defects, but you cannot afford to do this. I applaud you for your positive attitude in attempting to resolve the problem with the customer. Now, you need to follow up with close attention to quality in future orders by thoroughly checking the frames for proper alignment, dropout spacing, dimensions and paint quality before you build a bike for shipment.

I wish you the best, as I would like to see Wabi survive.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 06-29-20 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-27-20, 08:50 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I tried to buy a frame mount for my old CCM. They do NOT EXIST. I found a "solutions" maker website, they don't make one either. Pffft.
Only cruiser bikers want a HB mount. Is it so hard to just turn the thing 90d???
Old 06-27-20, 11:45 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
I tried to buy a frame mount for my old CCM. They do NOT EXIST. I found a "solutions" maker website, they don't make one either. Pffft.
Only cruiser bikers want a HB mount. Is it so hard to just turn the thing 90d???
Ah, but they DO make them. For example TwoFish makes this one:

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 06-27-20, 12:27 PM
bran1986

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Does Wabi have any other bikes without brazes that they would like to sell for a $200 discount?

Sincerely,

A guy who rides with a backpack.
Old 06-27-20, 01:45 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Ah, but they DO make them. For example TwoFish makes this one:

Thanks, but NO thanks to that. I give it a 9/10 on the lame and Pffft scale.
It's just a lazy attempt at fitting different size tubes. I would expect it scratches just as bad as hose clamps.
Old 06-27-20, 02:08 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Thanks, but NO thanks to that. I give it a 9/10 on the lame and Pffft scale.
It's just a lazy attempt at fitting different size tubes. I would expect it scratches just as bad as hose clamps.
Well, you are totally wrong about the scratching. The block is soft synthetic rubber that conforms to the tube size and the strap is also smooth and soft material on the inside. I guess cosmetically it leaves something to be desired, but it gets the job done.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 06-27-20, 02:38 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
CamelBak?

Or am I too late?

John
Old 06-27-20, 02:45 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by tlc8439
Hi guys,

I purchased the Lightning SE model ($1,295.00)

Long story short,
They got me a frame without brazes on both seat post tube/bottom tube, so I couldn't install my bottle cage.
I was confused if there was an option to choose and if I missed it? So I emailed them and it was, in fact, a defective item.

Wabi offered

1.Keeping the frame
-$150.00 partial refund to my credit card
-will send me 3rd party bottle cage mount/clamp at a free of charge.

2.Exchange
-Return the frame only
-$50 store credit
-return and shipping fee will be on them
-will take about 10 days to receive my new frame

TBH, I think wabi's "keeping the bike" offer sounds more practical, (I think they purposely made that deal better than exchanging the frame)
but what's your thought?

I sorta have an OCD, but never really cared about the bottle cage until recently, so I don't think I will care that much since I can always buy some hose clamp and diy it,
but at the same time, having a defect item feels kinda annoying. I also genuinly think the screws/braze give aesthetics to the bike, but it looks really clean without it also.

What would you do..? Please let me know.
Thank you!
If you were even slightly OCD this wouldn't even be a question, you'd return the frame for a non-defective one.

OCD or not, though, jerry-rigging some hose clamps on a brand new frame sounds wrong in every sense of the word. That's something you'd do to a piece of crap you got for free.

Is it really worth staring at those ugly hose clamps for years to come, just to save a little bit of money now?
Old 06-28-20, 05:48 AM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
It seems to me based on the initial post that Wabi offered to resolve the issue in one of two ways. Both reasonable choices and although an inconvenience not really a big deal in the scheme of things. All the OP had to do was choose which way to go. This was his inquiry at the first post. Somehow this became about something entirely different and complicated. I would never drill holes in the frame of my brand new bike nor would I use hose clamps but that's just me I guess. Either live with it as is or have the bike replaced, which is what I would do. Accusations of dishonesty and such seem to me to be unwarranted.