Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How does a bicycle steer?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: How does a bicycle steer?
Turning in the direction of travel
12.00%
Countersteering
28.00%
A little bit of both
30.00%
Other
30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

How does a bicycle steer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-23, 08:38 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
So, while the input force on a motorcycle handlebar may only be a couple pounds of pressure, it’s enough that you can feel it as a discrete effort, if you’re paying attention; on a bicycle, it is literally 1/100ths of what is called for on the moto, and so fleeting as to get lost in the background noise of riding a bike.
I think that controlling a bike involves continuous micro-adjustments that almost seem random, to counteract for minor changes in terrain, as well as for our own tiny errors. This is happening whether we're following a straight, or curved, path. This makes it hard to describe and analyze what we're doing, whereas it's easier to describe the smoother, more gradual motion of a motorcycle.

But it's the same physics.

A possible difference is just training. A bicyclist learns by falling a few times, or making awkward stops, until they get it right. Most of us were trained in an ad hoc fashion, if at all. On the other hand, a motorcyclist is on a much heavier bike, and traveling at dangerous speeds, from the git-go. So, it's valuable to have more overt training because a misconception could be deadly.

On the other hand, e-bikes are a good example of what happens when beginners get onto heavier bikes with no training.

I've actually found that motorcycle videos are a good source of info for cycling, because many of them are professionally made, and the motions are more gradual and explicit.
Old 08-27-23, 09:19 AM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Good discussion everyone! Some more info to ponder from Wikipedia:

​​​​​​"​Countersteering is used by single-track vehicle operators, such as cyclists and motorcyclists, to initiate a turn toward a given direction by momentarily steering counter to the desired direction ("steer left to turn right"). To negotiate a turn successfully, the combined center of mass of the rider and the single-track vehicle must first be leaned in the direction of the turn, and steering briefly in the opposite direction causes that lean.[1] The rider's action of countersteering is sometimes referred to as 'giving a steering command"'"

"Countersteering by weight shifting

With a sufficiently light bike (especially a bicycle), the rider can initiate a lean and turn without using the handlebars by shifting body weight, called counter lean by some authors.[8][24][25][26] Documented physical experimentation shows that on heavy bikes (many motorcycles) shifting body weight is less effective at initiating leans.[27]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering
Old 08-27-23, 05:21 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Yep, I imagine you can't "learn" counter steering. You just naturally do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cNmUNHSBac
IF C S was true, then the mirror steering would HELP. Obviously it does nothing of the kind. LOL.
Try that with your car steering wheel. LOL See how far you get. Same nonsense.
Old 08-27-23, 05:33 PM
HarryPotter69

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bicycle steers through a combination of design and rider actions:
  • Turning the handlebars shifts the front wheel's direction.
  • Leaning the body influences the bike's balance and turn.
  • Gyroscopic effect stabilizes the bike's motion.
  • Countersteering aids in initiating turns.
  • Rear wheel follows the path of the front wheel.
Old 08-28-23, 03:14 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
I have never heard mention of how a bicycle stops turning. You certainly can't lean up. It has to be countersteering to stop the turn.
A little more than when initiating the turn because of the where the weight is and the speed lost from turning.
Countersteering to turn and countersteering to stop turning.
You can throw your weight but the handlebars must turn however small that is.
Motorcycles are different because of the weight and they can put down power and not risk pedal strike. Ride a motorcycle and pull the clutch in and keep it in going round a corner. You won't do it twice.
If you end up going to slow you can't stop turning.
Countersteering is the only way to turn a bike or motorcycle and get consistent safe results at anything above a crawl.
​​​​​​
Old 08-28-23, 05:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Cows don’t steer. Bulls steer.
That's bull.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-28-23, 06:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Magic dust?
Old 08-28-23, 07:49 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
Old 08-28-23, 08:45 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I say every intentional change of direction on a bicycle or motorcycle starts with a counter-steer. Might be minute, you usually don't think about it, but it's there.
100%
Counter-steering is an intuitive (and necessary) part of staying upright on a bike and turning corners. This subtle movement is what initiates any direction change. Most people have no idea this is even happening, but you can't ride a bike without some level of counter steering, as proven by the video where the guy locks out steering in one direction and then can't turn in the other.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-28-23, 11:08 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
The problem with this question is always the same: confusion because “countersteering” is a misnomer. It’s not about steering, it’s about weight transfer to achieve balance.

Bikes and motos can be turned without touching the handlebars, i.e. without steering. Sure it’s not fast or immediate turning, but still, they can be turned when ridden no-handed.

Cars are steered to turn until such a time as they are out of balance, i.e. grip is out of balance, like in a slide, at which point they are countersteered to regain balance and get both ends going in the same direction.

Bikes/motos can be turned without being steered because they’re small enough for the rider to effect weight transfer without using the handlebars. Cars cannot because they’re too big and heavy. Rally drivers use a technique called the “Scandanavian flick” to weight shift and unbalance a car to better use throttle to “steer” the car through a turn. And yes, countersteering is required.

So countersteering is really weight shifting, not steering. Anyone who has power-slid a bike/moto knows you have to countersteer to keep the bike upright. But to just turn a bike/moto, no steering is required at all if you’ve got the space and time.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-28-23, 11:29 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Steering enables the weight transfer. More specifically, steering moves the tire contact patches out from under the center of mass to cause the lean to enable change of direction.

Even riding no hands, even at slow speed, you're still moving the tire contact patches (i.e. steering) to enable the lean or get out of the lean.

(the only ones that avoid these physics are trials riders, who can use sorcery instead of physics to change direction)
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-28-23, 12:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster

Bikes and motos can be turned without touching the handlebars, i.e. without steering. Sure it’s not fast or immediate turning, but still, they can be turned when ridden no-handed.

When you ride no-handed, the counter steer is automatic. If you try riding a bike no-handed with a tight headset you will notice how much harder it is.
Old 08-28-23, 12:19 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

Bicycle dynamics, control and handling

...the most exhaustive research base on this topic of which I am currently aware. Enjoy.
I.e. Magic.
Old 08-28-23, 01:22 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Much the same way you turn when running. Offsetting your COG by counter stepping (i e. stepping offset slightly opposite of the direction you want to turn), so you can change directions without becoming imbalanced. The sharper you want to turn, the bigger the offset.

We don't consciously know how to do this, but our brain does. We learned it around age 18 mos.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-28-23, 02:18 PM
john m flores 

The problem with this question is always the same: confusion because “countersteering” is a misnomer. It’s not about steering, it’s about weight transfer to achieve balance.

Cars are steered to turn until such a time as they are out of balance, i.e. grip is out of balance, like in a slide, at which point they are countersteered to regain balance and get both ends going in the same direction.

Bikes/motos can be turned without being steered because they’re small enough for the rider to effect weight transfer without using the handlebars. Cars cannot because they’re too big and heavy. Rally drivers use a technique called the “Scandanavian flick” to weight shift and unbalance a car to better use throttle to “steer” the car through a turn. And yes, countersteering is required.

So countersteering is really weight shifting, not steering. Anyone who has power-slid a bike/moto knows you have to countersteer to keep the bike upright. But to just turn a bike/moto, no steering is required at all if you’ve got the space and time.
Interesting video. Has anyone tried building a no-steer bicycle like this?

Old 08-29-23, 06:19 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by PeteHski
When you ride no-handed, the counter steer is automatic. If you try riding a bike no-handed with a tight headset you will notice how much harder it is.
This underscores my point about semantics, or as Maelochs put it, “bikes don’t steer, riders do.” If the wheel turns on its own, “automatically,” without the rider giving input at the bars, it sure seems messy to call it steering, much less countersteering. It’s further confusing to recognize that there are times when we countersteer in cars exactly the same way we do on bikes/motos— i.e. in a slide to maintain vehicle attitude/balance— but then return to just plain “steering” in a car but a bicycle is always “countersteering.” So we never just steer a bike? To say we steer bikes/motos by countersteering seems to set up a logical problem to me.

I prefer to consider we steer bikes/motos by shifting our weight and turning the front wheel to maintain balance, and steer cars by turning the front wheels. Exceptional conditions, like slides, utilize special techniques, like countersteering.
Old 08-29-23, 11:35 AM
PeteHski

This underscores my point about semantics, or as Maelochs put it, “bikes don’t steer, riders do.” If the wheel turns on its own, “automatically,” without the rider giving input at the bars, it sure seems messy to call it steering, much less countersteering. It’s further confusing to recognize that there are times when we countersteer in cars exactly the same way we do on bikes/motos— i.e. in a slide to maintain vehicle attitude/balance— but then return to just plain “steering” in a car but a bicycle is always “countersteering.” So we never just steer a bike? To say we steer bikes/motos by countersteering seems to set up a logical problem to me.

I prefer to consider we steer bikes/motos by shifting our weight and turning the front wheel to maintain balance, and steer cars by turning the front wheels. Exceptional conditions, like slides, utilize special techniques, like countersteering.
Well yeah it's not conscious countersteering like what the moto guys talk about, where they consciously push on the bars to actively countersteer in a turn. On a bike it is something we just do naturally when initiating a turn. The video posted by @urbanknight demonstrates it perfectly.
Old 08-29-23, 12:16 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 249 Posts
Counter steering a CAR?? LOL hahahaha
It's called keeping the front tires in the straight ahead DIRECTION you were going all along, swerving back end or not.
If you then think you are better off doing a 360 on the ice, then you turn the tires to lead the circle it's going. I did this one morning on the highway covered by frozen rain.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 08-29-23 at 01:48 PM.
Old 08-29-23, 12:29 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Well yeah it's not conscious countersteering like what the moto guys talk about, where they consciously push on the bars to actively countersteer in a turn. On a bike it is something we just do naturally when initiating a turn. The video posted by @urbanknight demonstrates it perfectly.
You miss the point. Semantics refers to the meaning of a word; there is no confusion about the mechanism being described, just what it’s called.
Old 08-29-23, 01:50 PM
PeteHski

You miss the point. Semantics refers to the meaning of a word; there is no confusion about the mechanism being described, just what it’s called.
Having read this and other similar threads on the subject, there is loads of confusion. I don’t actually know what your point is really, so yeah I guess I must have missed it.
Old 08-29-23, 01:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

This underscores my point about semantics...To say we steer bikes/motos by countersteering seems to set up a logical problem to me.
I don’t actually know what your point is really, so yeah I guess I must have missed it.
You can lead a horse to water...
Old 08-29-23, 02:05 PM
PeteHski

You can lead a horse to water...
Does anyone else get your point?
Old 08-29-23, 03:00 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Does anyone else get your point?
Deep thoughts, there; if one doesn't understand, do any? Like the falling tree in unihabited woods, do my plaintive pleas also fall on deaf ears? Is all steering countersteering? Granted, I'm no Galileo...
Old 08-29-23, 03:36 PM
john m flores 

98% of the time I'm not consciously countersteering the motorcycle.
Old 08-29-23, 03:45 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
98% of the time I'm not consciously countersteering the motorcycle.
Most of the time I didn’t either. It helps at higher speeds in sharper turns.
I am not sure if it was the motircycle’s mass, the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, or both. Steering by leaning could be done just by leaning but not as sharply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.