Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Are some drivers and some cyclist exactly alike

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-15, 08:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts

IMO some drivers and some cyclist are just alike. Some drivers think that cyclist should not be on their roads and streets. Some cycist whine about walkers and slow cyclist on MUPS. Really is there any difference between the two of them, and their attitude?
Old 11-03-15, 08:05 AM
ZmanKC

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
IMO some drivers and some cyclist are just alike. Some drivers think that cyclist should not be on their roads and streets. Some cycist whine about walkers and slow cyclist on MUPS. Really is there any difference between the two of them, and their attitude?
A couple thousand pounds?
Old 11-03-15, 08:54 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
There's no difference. People are who they are, and are the same way regardless of how they choose to get around. One of the ironies of the anti-driver stuff we see here on BF is that the vast bulk of cyclists are also motorists.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 11-03-15, 09:00 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The difference? Depending on the cyclist most are far better at knowing and acting on yield law than most motorists. Further, many like myself don't whine and cry about slow people on the MUP.

Rydabent I don't know if you traverse Our Fair City's MUTs during prime usage hours...but it is a mess of self-absorbed people and their elastic leashed terriers meandering all over and not sticking to their lane, and failing fantastically at understanding what "on your left" means and what it implies you should do.

I only get annoyed when adults who study yield law and should know what it means are idiots and throw it all out the window. It ain't rocket surgery. Keep to your lane. Do that and everyone will get along fine. Most people on MUPs however are not smart enough IRL to do that one thing. Fitness Chick and her BFF running right down the dotted line for example. You call out "On Your Left" to pass and they honestly cannot hear you because their earbud headphones are cranked so loud you can hear them 50ft away. Or the idiot who thought it was a good idea to tie their leash of their 100# German Shepard to their seatpost and take the dog for a bike and is everywhere but in their land holding their line....to name a few common scenarios I've seen.
Old 11-03-15, 09:21 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The difference? Depending on the cyclist most are far better at knowing and acting on yield law than most motorists. Further, many like myself don't whine and cry about slow people on the MUP.

Rydabent I don't know if you traverse Our Fair City's MUTs during prime usage hours...but it is a mess of self-absorbed people and their elastic leashed terriers meandering all over and not sticking to their lane, and failing fantastically at understanding what "on your left" means and what it implies you should do.

I only get annoyed when adults who study yield law and should know what it means are idiots and throw it all out the window. It ain't rocket surgery. Keep to your lane. Do that and everyone will get along fine. Most people on MUPs however are not smart enough IRL to do that one thing. Fitness Chick and her BFF running right down the dotted line for example. You call out "On Your Left" to pass and they honestly cannot hear you because their earbud headphones are cranked so loud you can hear them 50ft away. Or the idiot who thought it was a good idea to tie their leash of their 100# German Shepard to their seatpost and take the dog for a bike and is everywhere but in their land holding their line....to name a few common scenarios I've seen.
FYI of the little over 2000 miles I have cycled this year, probably 90% has been ridden on the 130 miles of trails here in Lincoln.

Now that being said, everyone has to know that I am retired, can ride the trails when everyone is working, and have little trouble with with walkers and people with dogs. I simply slow down and realize that the MUP needs to be SHARED, and I cant expect everyone to get out of my way. They have as much right to be there as I have.
Old 11-03-15, 09:28 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only walkers and slow cyclists that annoy me are the ones who do not pay attention to their surroundings. Worst of all are the soccer moms leaving their cars who walk across the MUP toward the field without even bothering to look left or right.
Old 11-03-15, 09:34 AM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes theyre the same, we are you and you are all together, or something
Old 11-03-15, 09:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,584 Times in 7,339 Posts
I drive and ride bikes, so I guess the answer is yes, at least in one sense.
Old 11-03-15, 09:45 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Yes, some drivers and some cyclists are exactly alike.

Some drivers like to recline their seat way back, and some cyclists like to ride a bent.
Old 11-03-15, 09:48 AM
yooperbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been yelled at for no good reason by passing cars when riding my bike, but never have I been yelled at by a cyclist passing my when I have been walking on a path. (excepting of course the "on your left" called out).
Old 11-03-15, 10:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts

What about "idiots" who repeatedly yell "on your left"at strangers even though they know bicycling jargon causes confusion and often provokes an unwanted response?
Old 11-03-15, 10:05 AM
slimyfrog

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cyclist/motorist is a nonsensical distinction when it comes to predicting how responsibly a person will behave on the road.
Grumpy people stay grumpy, regardless of what vehicle you put them in or on. This perhaps being the exception.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cupcake-car-pitstop.jpg (55.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 11-03-15, 11:10 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
FYI of the little over 2000 miles I have cycled this year, probably 90% has been ridden on the 130 miles of trails here in Lincoln.

Now that being said, everyone has to know that I am retired, can ride the trails when everyone is working, and have little trouble with with walkers and people with dogs. I simply slow down and realize that the MUP needs to be SHARED, and I cant expect everyone to get out of my way. They have as much right to be there as I have.
Sure they have a right to be there. Where did I say they didn't? I slow down too, it is the safe thing to do. Did I say I expected the MUT to not be shared and it is mine?

But I expect people to know and follow courtesy and yield law like they did for their driver's license exam they took when they were 16-18. Slower traffic keeps to the right. Don't drive your car into oncoming traffic in the opposing lane. Not that hard a pairing of concepts, that evidently is insanely difficult for people to transfer from their car to the MUP with marked lanes. And keep your damned dog under control and lose the damned elastic leash, if you cannot control your animal don't have it be a traffic hazard (black elastic leash taught across the entire trail barely visible-what could go wrong?). Does expecting people to follow the driver's manual and apply what they already know to an MUT really make me an angry driver hell bent on killing anyone who gets in my way whilst I'm texting my BFF on the wheel?

That wind is nasty out there today BTW. Oy.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What about "idiots" who repeatedly yell "on your left"at strangers even though they know bicycling jargon causes confusion and often provokes an unwanted response?
"On your left", "passing left", "passing on your left", "excuse me"...you can say just about anything...and 90% of the time you won't be heard (people doing permanent hearing damage to their ears with earbuds) and the other 10% of the time the party who should be listening will react in exactly the undesired and unsafe manner. It gets to the point where it is safer and just as productive not to say anything at all-because odds are high you won't be heard and anything you say will cause the party to jump right into your path.

What would you rather I say that people will listen to and react to correctly most of the time? I'm open to suggestions. Seriously. I've tried every variation I can think of over the years after slowing down to sub-10kph behind a pedestrian or IOB and they never hear or at worst completely react incorrectly in a manner precisely opposite to what their driver's license schooling would ever teach them.
Old 11-03-15, 11:21 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Avoid MUPs whenever possible. Otherwise slow and stop when needed.
One never knows what a young kid may do:

give a hello to announce yourself:

careful on blind corners, not everyone will take the tight:

Generally stop for pedestrians when required:
Old 11-03-15, 11:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

We need to be real here. Regardless of legal definition, design intent or whatever, an MUP is basically a pedestrian path or linear park on which bicycles are also welcome. I know we all hope that it were different, but the reality is that pedestrians aren't vehicles, and therefore not amenable to any sort of regulation or order.

People visit the park or MUP for a stroll, to walk their dogs, to bring babies or children out into the fresh air, etc. They look at MUPs as a safe haven from traffic and related dangers, so they tend to see speeding cyclists as defeating the purpose. Children and casual cyclists riding at speeds under 10 or so mph are fine, but those who consider the MUP as some kind of road to be used to get from point A to B are out of step with what most other users think an MUP is all about.

But all is not lost. Pedestrians, their dogs and children rarely venture more than a mile or two from where they enter. So if there's an MUP that leaves town and heads out to the hinterlands, odds are that you won't see any pedestrians after the first mile or so, and the rest will be almost exclusively for bike use. The few pedestrians and joggers one meets will tend to be more serious "road" users and more likely to have some road discipline.

So, rather than get worked up over folks on the MUP, consider where and when, and plan and riding accordingly. There's a nice MUP I often use for my daily commute, in a five mile stretch there are places where I have to ride slowly because of other users, and stretches where it's wide open and I only need deal with a few inexperienced cyclists now and then.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 11-03-15 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 11:53 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
What would you rather I say that people will listen to and react to correctly most of the time? I'm open to suggestions. Seriously.
Don't say anything; ring a bicycle bell or a bulb bicycle horn (not an offensive air horn blaster). I've found they work just fine on MUPs in Philadelphia and even in light traffic. Always brings a smile too.
Old 11-03-15, 12:18 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Don't say anything; ring a bicycle bell or a bulb bicycle horn (not an offensive air horn blaster). I've found they work just fine on MUPs in Philadelphia and even in light traffic. Always brings a smile too.
I slow, say "I am coming around your left side" and say "enjoy your walk" or "thank you" as I pass them slowly. Many times I announce my presence, the person doesn't hear me because of the buds. That's why I pass slowly. It has always served me well.
Old 11-03-15, 12:20 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Sometimes there is a difference. Sometimes there's not. When I drive, I have no problem sharing the road with alert respectful cyclists. When I pedal, I have no problem sharing the path with alert courteous pedestrians.
Old 11-03-15, 12:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
"Hello" "Good morning" or some other such greeting works for me. I suppose if I spent a lot of time on MUP's I might get a bell. But I don't so I won't.
Old 11-03-15, 12:27 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Most of the cyclists I know are also drivers, so yes, they are exactly alike.
Old 11-03-15, 12:46 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Having spent time both motoring and cycling with the same folks over the years and also hearing their motoring and cycling incident stories, I've noticed that good drivers are generally good drivers whether on bike or in car and the bad drivers drive both their car and bicycle badly.
Old 11-03-15, 04:47 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I simply slow down and realize that the MUP needs to be SHARED, and I cant expect everyone to get out of my way. They have as much right to be there as I have.
Tell that to the strava fanboys.
Old 11-03-15, 05:20 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
We need to be real here. Regardless of legal definition, design intent or whatever, an MUP is basically a pedestrian path or linear park on which bicycles are also welcome. I know we all hope that it were different, but the reality is that pedestrians aren't vehicles, and therefore not amenable to any sort of regulation or order.

People visit the park or MUP for a stroll, to walk their dogs, to bring babies or children out into the fresh air, etc. They look at MUPs as a safe haven from traffic and related dangers, so they tend to see speeding cyclists as defeating the purpose. Children and casual cyclists riding at speeds under 10 or so mph are fine, but those who consider the MUP as some kind of road to be used to get from point A to B are out of step with what most other users think an MUP is all about.

But all is not lost. Pedestrians, their dogs and children rarely venture more than a mile or two from where they enter. So if there's an MUP that leaves town and heads out to the hinterlands, odds are that you won't see any pedestrians after the first mile or so, and the rest will be almost exclusively for bike use. The few pedestrians and joggers one meets will tend to be more serious "road" users and more likely to have some road discipline.

So, rather than get worked up over folks on the MUP, consider where and when, and plan and riding accordingly. There's a nice MUP I often use for my daily commute, in a five mile stretch there are places where I have to ride slowly because of other users, and stretches where it's wide open and I only need deal with a few inexperienced cyclists now and then.
I know you're talking about the pragmatic aspects, but there's a different legal and historical reality (which doesn't actually change how things are, but is interesting nonetheless). Many, maybe even most, bike paths were constructed with transportation dollars for the specific purpose of getting people from A to B by means other than car. In some states, such as Oregon, they are explicitly defined as roads. (Oregon has a quirk in that pedestrians actually have zero legal right of way on a bike path, not that anyone is going to drive this point home by riding into someone, or so I hope).

Culturally, we have gone from bike paths to MUPs (MUTs, SUPs, whatever the jargon du jour) that diminish the ability of people to effectively ride on them. We seem headed for these being redefined as off-road sidewalks that prohibit bikes. In fact, a group of merchants along the waterfront in Portland, OR is pushing to do exactly that.

Of course none of that changes our moral obligation to not behave like asshats. Even though our local pedestrian critical mass along the bike paths can effectively blockade any and all cyclists, it's not really the end of the world to be considerate. They're just people who don't yet know how to help make those underbuilt paths work for everyone and yelling at them isn't going to make them want to cooperate.
Old 11-03-15, 06:30 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
I know you're talking about the pragmatic aspects, but there's a different legal and historical reality (which doesn't actually change how things are, but is interesting nonetheless). .....
yes, there's a complicated and mixed history relating to how bicycle paths became MUPs. I'm sure there's all kinds of things that went on depending on location and time in history. We had a nice dedicated bike path built with CETA funds during the Carter administration. Over the years most sections became an MUP simply by attrition as pedestrians discovered it. I never figured out if they repurposed it at some time, or pedestrians simply moved in.

The reality is that nice urban park space where you can enjoy a scenic stroll is scarce, so regardless of intent, if you pave a nice path, people will find it, and adopt it as a their own. As cyclists, we can be angry, or resigned, but the pedestrians aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Old 11-03-15, 06:51 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Many, maybe even most, bike paths were constructed with transportation dollars for the specific purpose of getting people from A to B by means other than car.
Those videos I posted above (except last one) are from such a path/bridge. I find it useless for commuting as it carries so many pedestrians especially young ones as it connects two schools/parks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.