Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are shops selling the bikes that average people want?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 12:22 PM
Matt74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are bike shops and manufacturers selling the bikes that average people want?

By “average” I mean people who don’t cycle right now, but would given the opportunity, as well as most people who do ride.

By “want” I mean both what they think they want, and what would actually make them most happy. A lot of new buyers just don’t have the experience to really know what would suit them best, so they want an “ultra cushy comfort behemoth”, an “ultra-rad mountain bike”, or a “carbon miracle”. They just don’t know, so when it turns out to be less awesome than they think, it leaves them with a bad experience with cycling.

It seems to me that LBS sell a lot of “comfort/hybrid” type bikes, and that a lot of new riders want these, but they really aren’t what will make them happy. They need something that weighs about half as much, regardless of type/geometry/handlebars. I think Linus and some other companies are making things that would be more practical. I have nothing at all against the big guys, but sometimes I walk into a store and I see rows of tanks that I wouldn’t want to handle around the shop, let alone ride or fit in my garage. Some of those steer awful. There are also a lot of full suspension MTBs, and a few $2,000+ road bikes, but not much you would want to ride to the store with, or put in/on the car to take it to the park or wherever. Things are changing with the younger crowd, but IMO potential riders aren’t being presented with what they would actually enjoy riding. Agree/disagree?
Old 08-08-18, 12:35 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Most people I see walking into bike shops these days want someone to fix their flat tires, and "have someone adjust that squiggly thing that the chain goes through".

I don't think any amount of world class salesmanship would convince them that they simply must have the latest vintage-style hybrid-gravel e-bike that's made from sustainable materials at a factory that is located in a country where homeless people are housed in mansions and drink only the finest scotch while smoking fine Cuban cigars that you can't even get in the US.

People want what they want, and since they're the ones with the money to spend, their dollars get to decide what is built and marketed and what isn't.
Old 08-08-18, 12:45 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt74
It seems to me that LBS sell a lot of “comfort/hybrid” type bikes, and that a lot of new riders want these, but they really aren’t what will make them happy.
I think this is a false assumption. Shops sell a lot of comfort/hybrid bikes because they do make people happy. Not everyone is training for a century or to become a "serious cyclist" and just wants to do some casual pedaling around without having to strain their back and/or strain their neck in the drops. If it weighs 35 pounds vs. 20, it's really not a big deal.

On the weekends, I see a fair number of people out riding comfort/hybrid bikes and some appear to be doing rides of 10 miles or more (based on how far from town they are). For a lot of people, that is plenty and they all look pretty happy.

I'm sure there are some people that buy them and later decide they want a road bike, but I'll bet there are also plenty of people that buy road bikes and later decide they want the comfort/Hybrid.

A good bike salesperson will be explaining the pluses and minuses of the different types to maximize the number of satisfied customers.
Old 08-08-18, 12:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
Want; Yes
Afford; No
Need; Subjective
Trendy; Absolutely
Old 08-08-18, 12:55 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
Are they selling the bikes cyclists want? Rather a more important issue.

Answer----if they are in business, yes.
Old 08-08-18, 01:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Don't forget a lot of advertising dollars go into persuading people what they want.
Old 08-08-18, 01:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,483 Times in 1,839 Posts
As for upright bikes/unsuspended hybrids .... from what i see, there are some fair number of folks who prefer not to ride drop bar bikes. old folks out cruising, young couples out cruising, Sunday morning I aw two middle-aged couples in bike gear, looking as fitter or fitter than I, out riding roads and trails, and they were all on flat-bar bikes.

My take is most people who are not "cyclist" type riders, but rather are "people who ride bicycles," don't necessarily put out enough power through their legs to keep their butts off the seat and the weight off their arms, so a more upright postures is less fatiguing overall. And those folks still ride "seriously," in their own ways ... they just don't compete, or try to achieve ever-higher goals, and all that.

Look at the websites .... every major manufacturer sells high-end CF (and metal of course) racing frames with top-end components and flat bars. Somebody is spending $1500-$3500 dollars for flatbar performance bikes.

I figure there are people who have a little disposable income, are willing to spend a little to get the good stuff (they think they are worth it) and they also don't identify with the whole "bike racer" ethos,. They don't want to be bent over, they don't care about Strava, they just want to buy and ride quality bicycles and enjoy doing it.

This general topic always amuses me.

Look, Americans don't need Any help shopping,. There are freaking whole TV networks--Many of them---just pushing a huge array of different products. As soon as anyone thinks they see a market niche or think they can create one,. someone is there selling the product. if Americans Wanted a particular type of bike, it would be on the market. And if people are riding a certain type of bike ...

The old folks with Walmart bikes on their motor homes---don't need anything better. They are happy. The folks buying the upright bikes ... probably want them. And remember ... much as we all obsess about weight, most people do not and do not Want to ride up big hills, and weight really only matters on hills, and even then, only on pretty big hills (relative to the rider) where even a light bike would still not make a big difference. (As someone who has tried the same hills on bikes weighing over a range of a dozen pounds, I can tell you that if you don't have the lungs, legs and hear, ten pounds less bike weight isn't going to get you up that hill.) On the flat, for a casual rider, a 20-lb bike is not much different than a 30-lb bike.

This is the internet age. Forget computers ... most people can do more on their phones than I could on a desktop. If they want a bike, they will look at a hundred bikes in a minute.

Caveat: I don't know a thing about any of this. I just go on what makes sense to me, and whatever I imagine explains what i see in bike shops, Walmarts, and on the road.

My question to the OP is ... how do you know? What do you think people Really want? And why do you think a lot of people are buying the wrong bike and quitting, and what bikes do you think they should buy?

I sure don't know, but this could be an interesting, if almost wholly abstract, conversation.

Last edited by Maelochs; 08-08-18 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 01:14 PM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
I think this is a false assumption. Shops sell a lot of comfort/hybrid bikes because they do make people happy. Not everyone is training for a century or to become a "serious cyclist" and just wants to do some casual pedaling around without having to strain their back and/or strain their neck in the drops. If it weighs 35 pounds vs. 20, it's really not a big deal.
I completely agree. Hybrid/comfort bikes are exactly what “most” people want and for good reason.

They typically are quite affordable, have wide gear ranges, can easily accommodate racks/baskets and fenders. Most people prefer the upright, comfortable riding position and the good visibility it affords.

I’m sure the large manufacturers sell vastly more hybrids than race bikes.
Old 08-08-18, 01:19 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Open a bike shop and find out. If you're still in business in a few years, I suppose you're selling what people want. If not, you missed the mark.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 08-08-18, 01:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
How the heck would we know? Ask some average people instead.
Old 08-08-18, 01:45 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
Open a bike shop and find out. If you're still in business in a few years, I suppose you're selling what people want. If not, you missed the mark.
Capitalist!
Old 08-08-18, 01:45 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
How the heck would we know? Ask some average people instead.
Elitist!
Old 08-08-18, 01:51 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Yes, bike shops are selling what most people "need". Most people ride (if they ride at all) two miles a couple times to the ice cream shop in summer. Pretty much any bike will do for that purpose. Hybrids are practical, durable and usually cheap... they're ideal for that purpose. So is a yard sale Schwinn Varsity.
Old 08-08-18, 02:13 PM
Rock71

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 and Scott Sportster P45

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see it like this a good bike salesman is going to try to give you at least what you need and maybe a step or two up, but he is also going to ask your budget. In Iowa we have ragbrai, some people walk in the bike shop and they have 5k to spend and darn it their going to spend it. They ride the weeks worth of 450 miles and the bike sits the rest of the year, they have their bragging rights and usually in the spring the bike is on craigslist or back in a shop for sale.
Old 08-08-18, 02:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
A shop that knows their customer base will do that..

Out here they don't tie up money in high end bikes

lots of MTBs , because the county has a lot of open spaces.

and cruisers and such ..
Old 08-08-18, 02:24 PM
MadKaw

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Course, 1993 Trek 8000, 2016 Diamondback Haanjo Comp, 2018 Marin B-17, 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I think there's a false assumption here. I think the "average" person wants the $79 bike from Walmart. I think the "average" person worries that they're splurging more than they should on that $179 Shwinn from Dick's Sporting Goods. I think it is an unusual person who knows whether there is an LBS in their L.
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to steer someone new to the game toward a $400-$500 intro bike from an LBS only to be told that's way more than they're willing to spend.
Often (but far from always) that person will be back in a year or two riding a bike that I suggested back when they started. I've got one friend that rides a 15 year old Huffy and claims he's happy with it. Considering that I can't get him to ride farther than 1 mile, he may be telling me the truth. I cannot convince him that he might be willing to ride farther if he had a better bike.
I have not given up.
Old 08-08-18, 02:27 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I only know from the industry distribution numbers, which feels superficial, but 74% of the bikes are sold by mass merchants and the rest by "specialty bike retailers" (bike shops) which is 13%, and by sporting good stores and other outdoor specialty stores.

So 3/4 of the people want the big box store bikes and 1/4 want the bike shop and specialty bikes. Assuming that there is little or no overlap, which isn't that strong an assumption IMO.
Breakdown of U.S. bicycle unit sales in 2015, by channel of trade
Old 08-08-18, 02:40 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
This is me

In 2006 I walked into a shop and walked out with a 7 speed Raleigh comfort bike and felt pretty pleased with myself. But over the years I found that I only used it out of environmentalist concerns, not for any pleasure in riding. So it was used for short errand trips around the neighborhood. I really didn’t like it, but I didn’t know enough to know it was the bike I didn’t like, not biking. In June I picked up an ‘84 Bianchi and I’ve put on serious mileage loving every minute of it. I’m getting ready for my first century in September. Anyway, I’m not sure if any conclusions could be drawn from this experience. Generally I think that the trend towards mountain bike shaped bikes for everyone and every purpose is ridiculous.
Old 08-08-18, 03:34 PM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Being the unofficial voice of the average cyclist I say yes the lbs carries the perfect bike for everyone or they can order it or it hasn't been invented yet and someone is working on that.

Old 08-08-18, 03:38 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
You should head over to www.rivbike.com
Old 08-08-18, 04:03 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt74
It seems to me that LBS sell a lot of “comfort/hybrid” type bikes, and that a lot of new riders want these, but they really aren’t what will make them happy. They need something that weighs about half as much, regardless of type/geometry/handlebars. I think Linus and some other companies are making things that would be more practical. I have nothing at all against the big guys, but sometimes I walk into a store and I see rows of tanks that I wouldn’t want to handle around the shop, let alone ride or fit in my garage. Some of those steer awful. There are also a lot of full suspension MTBs, and a few $2,000+ road bikes, but not much you would want to ride to the store with, or put in/on the car to take it to the park or wherever. Things are changing with the younger crowd, but IMO potential riders aren’t being presented with what they would actually enjoy riding. Agree/disagree?
Disagree 100%. You are telling people want they want, not taking into accound what they want. The person buying an Electra likely has no intentions on being fast, and riding around flat MUPs weight means almost diddly squat. Likewise, the MTB trails around me are packed with $2k MTBs that people buy and use as intended, the shops have no issue moving them on a regular basis.. Both groups are getting what they want out of their purchase, they are buying the correct bike no issue.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
As for upright bikes/unsuspended hybrids .... from what i see, there are some fair number of folks who prefer not to ride drop bar bikes. old folks out cruising, young couples out cruising, Sunday morning I aw two middle-aged couples in bike gear, looking as fitter or fitter than I, out riding roads and trails, and they were all on flat-bar bikes.
And, as I recently learned, most average riders from Northern Europe, even ones who tour thousands of miles a summer.
Old 08-08-18, 04:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,004 Times in 2,673 Posts
What people want is a magical unicorn that doesn't exist. They want something extremely light, super durable, works really well with no maintenance, is super comfortable, but fast and costs nothing and in a color they get to pick.
Old 08-08-18, 04:16 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the shop. Most brand name shops I'd say no just on price. I don't think the avg person cares that much about weight within reason and I don't think weight would make much difference in performance as they say it's easier to lose 5 pounds off the rider than the bike for the same effect and I don't imagine 10 lbs makes a significant distance anyway. 60 lbs i'm sure you'd notice. I'd think the avg person would be fine with a walmart bike they'll leave in the yard anyway and will be lucky to last 3 years before its rusted solid. I think an off brand shop with mid range bikes is good for the avg mid range person but those are rare/ driven out by big box stores. I don't think type matters as they usually have all/ most types and as much as i wish I'd gotten something more specialized then my hybrid another thread on marketing made me rethink that. It's great around town, on mups and light singletrack and can be a beginning tourer if/ when i get around to that. There's no need for 4 bikes.

Last edited by TheLibrarian; 08-08-18 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 04:20 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I doubt that "average" people shop for a bike starting with zero information. The biggest source of "advertising" may be word-of-mouth. I think that people look around at what other people are riding, and compare themselves to those people, then buy a type of bike that they think people similar to themselves have been happy with. They ask their friends for advice. They have plenty of exposure to that kind of information before they set foot in a bike store.

They check out the web forums, where there's sure to be a consensus on what kind of bike to get, and people willing to provide patient, friendly advice.

People know that I'm a cyclist -- it's hard to miss the bike hanging next to my office. They start casual conversations. I usually advise them to ride the bike that they already have, if they have one. Remember that the manufacturers are "competing" with a huge inventory of bikes sitting in garages. I offer to help them get it working. I try to provide an honest critique of the difference between a WalMart bike and an entry level LBS bike.
Old 08-08-18, 04:23 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
What people want is a magical unicorn that doesn't exist. They want something extremely light, super durable, works really well with no maintenance, is super comfortable, but fast and costs nothing and in a color they get to pick.
I'll take two of those please. Red.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.