Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Anyone See These Tires?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Anyone See These Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-23, 05:46 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Anyone See These Tires?

Not sure I'd pay $500 but maybe if the price came down to $200 I would ...

https://newatlas.com/bicycles/metl-shape-memory-airless-bicycle-tire/?fbclid=IwAR1-2lHpJPIYy-YSRWjjJXdiYztB8BoIHY3fsKlGFcrgdK9SGckgRmOGTMQ
Old 09-14-23, 05:53 AM
azo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
hmm so about $500 for spring based tyres that provide medium to low rolling resistance, good traction... and mid range weight..

not sure id pay that much for the puncture protection aspect.

pardon the pun but i dont think these will take off but lets see .. they do look cool.
Old 09-14-23, 05:57 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
They do.

If it's really $10 per retread, and if they work and don't just mash the rims every time you hit a pothole, over the long term that could be an interesting investment and perhaps more sustainable. But maybe not at 500.
Old 09-14-23, 06:04 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by azo
hmm so about $500 for spring based tyres that provide medium to low rolling resistance, good traction... and mid range weight..

not sure id pay that much for the puncture protection aspect.

pardon the pun but i dont think these will take off but lets see .. they do look cool.
Yeah I guess I haven't had the joy of repairing a tire in a bad section of town yet (or anywhere for that matter) but I'm not looking forward to it. I know to the experienced it's not a big deal but I have only changed tubes twice in my life. I had a nail go all the way through my Bontrager Hard Case tire...right through the sidewall! So I haven't been super sold on these ultra-tough tires and they ride like crap.
Old 09-14-23, 06:06 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,432 Posts
Sounds cool, and I'll be happy to watch other people give them a shot.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-14-23, 06:09 AM
choddo

Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Yeah I guess I haven't had the joy of repairing a tire in a bad section of town yet (or anywhere for that matter) but I'm not looking forward to it. I know to the experienced it's not a big deal but I have only changed tubes twice in my life. I had a nail go all the way through my Bontrager Hard Case tire...right through the sidewall! So I haven't been super sold on these ultra-tough tires and they ride like crap.
IME tubeless solves 95% of that anyway.
Likes For choddo:
Old 09-14-23, 06:20 AM
RoadWearier

Tubeless sounds like no fun at all. Messy. But if it works for you, great!
Old 09-14-23, 06:24 AM
choddo

Hmm, not found it messy - can get a bit of stretchy stuff coating the back of the seat tube if a puncture sprays a bit (but I usually stop and rotate the wheel so it's at the bottom to speed up the sealing process (or whack a dynaplug in). And the stuff on the frame comes off easily. Or do you mean when installing? Not had any mess there, just squirt the stuff in when the tyre is 90% on, and rotate it out of sight to close off the tyre.

Biggest problem with it is the tyres are considerably tougher to get on the rim. Found the "tyreglider" invaluable.
Likes For choddo:
Old 09-14-23, 06:28 AM
RoadWearier

I just have read that putting sealant in is a messy hassle and I have learned that I am notorious for making a mess/spilling with maintenance stuff in general. I used to change my own oil on cars and motorcycles and without fail I would be mopping up oil off my floor at some point. Same goes with painting. I dunno maybe I'm just a ****.
**** is apparently a forbidden word here. Lol.

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-14-23 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to bypass the forum censor.
Old 09-14-23, 06:33 AM
choddo

Ha, it's possible

Definitely took me a while to get a technique that works for me (might stick it on Youtube if I can persuade one of the kids to act as cameraperson) but yeah, bit off topic - recommend you give it a try if you ever get tired of punctures, of which I had WELL had enough after a few rainy ones making me late for work.
Old 09-14-23, 06:48 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I was playing tennis a bunch of years ago. It used to be that we would open a new can of balls every time that we wanted to have a good game. Tennis balls are pressurised. New balls play constantly from one ball to the next but they lose that constancy over time. A recent development has been the pressureless tennis balls. I was skeptical, but have them a try. They have a similar bounce to pressurised balls, they last longer and they maintain constancy. All the things that you want in a tennis ball. With bicycle tires, I am not sold on airless tires. Tires have gotten better over the 50 years that I have been riding bikes. For share bikes, some e-bikes and some commuters, I can see where a airless tire would be a big advantage. For me and my riding, I am experiencing perhaps a flat every two years, maybe even less. And I'm not even using tires with puncture resistance. I like the ride that I get from pneumatic tires.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 09-14-23, 07:52 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by choddo
Ha, it's possible

Definitely took me a while to get a technique that works for me (might stick it on Youtube if I can persuade one of the kids to act as cameraperson) but yeah, bit off topic - recommend you give it a try if you ever get tired of punctures, of which I had WELL had enough after a few rainy ones making me late for work.
Have you ever tried slime or any other leak goo in your clinchers? I was thinking about maybe doing that
Old 09-14-23, 09:02 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Interesting concept. I like the idea of replaceable tread and the low cost associated with it. I like the idea of zero flats, no messy sealant, and a one time mounting. Lots of advantages that I see, especially for commuting or possibly touring. Cost of entry is steep and outside of what I am willing to pay. Perhaps in 10 years the price will come down to about a third of where it is now.
Old 09-14-23, 12:30 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
I always get a yawn out of the new tire inventions that come out without any type of unbiased testing to accompany the claims. I'm always hopeful that a fast, smooth riding, flat-proof tire will come along some day but nothing so far has come close to equaling the ride of the pneumatic tire. Still hoping.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 09-14-23, 12:42 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
They don't come in 700 x 23C? What's the point?
Old 09-14-23, 12:42 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
"The never-go-flat tires were created in partnership with NASA....
I wonder what the name of THAT company was? I doubt it's this company if they trying a kickstarter campaign.
Old 09-14-23, 01:34 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 832 Posts
Every non-pneumatic tire (so far) has had notably higher rolling resistance than a comparable pneumatic tire. Typically to the point of "I'm tired of my tires always feeling like they're really low". From their construction, these tires look like they may be susceptible to the same feeling, as the plastic surrounding the metal spring looks rather thick.

There may be a market for these tires on bicycles intended to survive the next scheduled apocalypse, perhaps on the affluent side of East Goathead, TX. But as others have noted, I'll let other brave folks perform the in-service product evaluation prior to my looking at it as an option.
Old 09-14-23, 03:16 PM
grumpus

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWearier
Not sure I'd pay $500 but maybe if the price came down to $200 I would ...

https://newatlas.com/bicycles/metl-s...K9SGckgRmOGTMQ
Is it that time again already? Why is it that nobody who thinks he can gainfully reinvent the wheel seems to be an actual cyclist?
Old 09-14-23, 04:29 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I bet they're not nearly as efficient or comfortable as old fashioned pneumatic tires, but if flat-proof and low maintenance are high priority...