Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycle Monkey

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24, 12:45 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Cycle Monkey

Their website worked on January 01, 2024 when I ordered a Rohloff hub and matching 4 bolt Hayes brake rotor. Since then I have been calling and emailing to no effect. All I wanted was an anticipated ship date and a tracking number to ensure the one thousand eight hundred $1 bills I spent wasn't just thrown into the wind.

So far, it's been nothing but crickets. Their website no longer resolves and all indications are they are no longer in business.

I have disputed the charge in PayPal. There are a couple of days left in the dispute. I have high hopes.

Does anyone have any information about Cycle Monkeys apparent demise?

Last edited by base2; 01-28-24 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 01:01 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
There is at least one other person having similar issues to yours. They reported it to the BBB back in November.

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/berkeley/p...ey-1116-925399
Old 01-28-24, 01:31 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
...FWIW, the website domain name is up for grabs. I looked at archive.is, and someone archived the Rohloff page 8 years ago. So I guess it was around for a while before disappearing into the night. Looks like they were in Emeryville, down in the Bay area.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 01-28-24 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 02:50 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Cycle MonkeyTheir website worked on January 01, 2024 when I ordered a Rohloff hub and matching 4 bolt Hayes brake rotor. Since then I have been calling and emailing to no effect. All I wanted was an anticipated ship date and a tracking number to ensure the one thousand eight hundred $1 bills I spent wasn't just thrown into the wind.

So far, it's been nothing but crickets. Their website no longer resolves and all indications are they are no longer in business.

I have disputed the charge in PayPal. There are a couple of days left in the dispute. I have high hopes.

Does anyone have any information about Cycle Monkeys apparent demise?
I purchased some small parts from them in the past. They became harder and harder to contact to confirm stock of ordered parts and the length of time between ordering and getting a shipment became unreasonable. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Peter White Cycles recently became a Rohloff dealer. I have been ordering parts from Bike24. I believe there is a forum member who ordered his Rohloff hub from them. They are very good. They show the amount of parts they have left so you don't get stuck waiting for eventory to arrive. I ordered some Andra 30 rims from them a few years ago and one came drilled for 32 holes instead of 36. They Shipped out one with the correct drilling and the one drilled for 32 instead of 36 still sits in my garage.
Old 01-28-24, 04:41 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...FWIW, the website domain name is up for grabs. I looked at archive.is, and someone archived the Rohloff page 8 years ago. So I guess it was around for a while before disappearing into the night. Looks like they were in Emeryville, down in the Bay area.

It looks like "Wayback Machine" give more useful results.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230601...yclemonkey.com

The last captured snapshot is from 11/2/2023.
Old 01-29-24, 12:23 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Yeah it’s not looking good. I have (had?) a dealer account with them and they were my source for Rohloff and dyno hubs.
They were always good to deal with in the past.
Old 01-29-24, 05:19 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Their address on their About page (captured Jul 2023)"
510 E Fort Lowell

Tucson, AZ 85705

This is from Feb 2022 (shows some other business at 510).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ja...er=0&entry=ttu

The copyright on the website is from 2018.

Not renewing their domain means they aren't operating (or are not competent).

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-29-24 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-29-24, 07:40 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Yeah, it's not lookin' good. What a crappy way to quit. Dishonest, if you ask me. Just own it. Announce your intentions, have a fire-sale and close if you wanna be a quitter.

Now the brand is ruined too. Good luck selling the residual value.

I'm sure there is some back story full of excuses for mismanagement or blaming external factors or some such garbage. Walking away & leaving a (now) fraudulent website up to collect unknowing customers money with no intention of making good on orders is inexcusable. Ignoring customer inquiries and ignoring the answering machine leaving customers to wonder if their order will ever be shipped is the biggest chicken move ever. A complete and total absence of integrity.

I hope Cycle Monkey (emphasis on monkey) reads this.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 01-29-24, 08:10 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Fwiw I was a regular customer of Glory Cycles in Greenville SC for many years. During the summer of 2022 they fell on hard times and went under around September. Not long after another Glory Cycles site popped up with unbelievable prices indicating they had everything in stock but the about info was false about 2 months later that site dried up but I’m sure they scammed a bunch of folks. This situation could be similar.

I was decent friends with the original owner and know he wasn’t involved with the scam site.
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er

Last edited by Shadco; 01-29-24 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 07:46 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Well, the nice people at PayPal made good on their purchase protection policies. The full amount less ~45¢ got refunded this afternoon. It may be a few days until the refund posts to my credit card, but I'll take the win.

It is unfortunate that it had to go down this way. Now because of this, Project Bike in the cyclocross/gravel (recreational) thread is going to get an additional cable housing stop and additional drill & tap in the bottom bracket for cable guides to allow for the possibility of a conventional non-Rohloff drive train. We'll see how this goes. I asked for the derailleur stop to be tucked away inboard under the S-bend chain stay to hide it from view. Not a contingency I'm eager to employ. But there it is. A permanent change and a bunch of work done on goodwill by the builder because Cycle Monkey is a quitter.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 02-02-24, 09:30 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Well, the nice people at PayPal made good on their purchase protection policies. The full amount less ~45¢ got refunded this afternoon. It may be a few days until the refund posts to my credit card, but I'll take the win.

It is unfortunate that it had to go down this way. Now because of this, Project Bike in the cyclocross/gravel (recreational) thread is going to get an additional cable housing stop and additional drill & tap in the bottom bracket for cable guides to allow for the possibility of a conventional non-Rohloff drive train. We'll see how this goes. I asked for the derailleur stop to be tucked away inboard under the S-bend chain stay to hide it from view. Not a contingency I'm eager to employ. But there it is. A permanent change and a bunch of work done on goodwill by the builder because Cycle Monkey is a quitter.
I'm glad PayPal came through for you. there are obviously other places to purchase the Rohloff hub. I have had my Rohloff equipped bicycle near 10 years and wouldn't have anything else.