Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do some dislike Trek bicycles / corporation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 03:36 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I wouldn't be actively looking for one. As Eric F said tons of examples out there. Those Zunow built IMs that Dave Scott stashed around the country and rode come to mind. Lots of brands with World Champion stripes were rebadged other brands. But, back to those Huffies. Are you sure they were made by Serotta?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features...-giro-ditalia/
Funny seeing that bike on the snow, My LS rusted out from the inside...
Old 02-01-24, 04:25 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,837 Posts
Originally Posted by blue192
The issue with me is not that I dislike Trek, I just want a decent bike with reasonably higher quality components. I also dislike using a bike with carbon fiber because I tend to ride my bike hard and do not want to keep up with maintaining something like that.
Originally Posted by Eric F
What maintenance do you think you have to do with a CF bike that you don't have to do with one built from other materials?
Right? Do you think CF frames require special Frame Maintenance? Do you know anyone with a CF bike who does extra Frame Maintenance? if you, please list the details.

See ... when you post ignorant and wholly invented crap like this, people tend to think that maybe your claims are unreliable and your opinions are pure BS.

Nobody care what bike you ride if everything you post is nonsense.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-01-24, 06:30 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
As you documented, Hampsten's was built by Land Shark. It's fairly well known that Serotta built most of the 7-Eleven bikes, branded as Murray and Huffy.... https://roadbikeaction.com/the-real-...ven-team-bikes
Another example: Team Z’s carbon frames with Greg Lemond branding were made by Calfee. The story goes that Lemond faxed Calfee the specs for a frame, and Calfee delivered the finished frame 4 days later.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-02-24, 07:25 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,490 Times in 3,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamont Cobb
I think that Lance was framed.

This is more rich than all your sales thread posts where you mention to no one interested that it's not your size!
Old 02-02-24, 07:58 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
I know that sometimes you have to "Stand by your man".

For me, it is buying and then dissolving brands. It appears that Bontreger is going to be the latest victim. This is nothing new in business though.

So, I don't dislike them. I just like them less than I used to.
Old 02-02-24, 08:17 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
For me the traditional RED Specialized bikes have always been faster. Simple as that.
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-02-24, 09:10 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
IIt appears that Bontreger is going to be the latest victim.
That rock must have been very uncomfortable...
Old 02-02-24, 10:19 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10238 Post(s)
Liked 5,185 Times in 2,226 Posts
I think trek is removing bontrager from everything except the wheels. I forgot what my buddy said about it. The good news, expect some crazy sales soon on bontrager products.
Old 02-02-24, 02:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,837 Posts
I have no clue but I would assume that whatever contract Trek had with Bontrager had a time limit and that limit has been reached, and in the future Trek will brand its own parts. By now, I think only old people remember when the name Bontrager had any meaning, so it is no longer a marketing tool ... it is just "Trek's house brand."

I am sure Keith Bontrager has long since cashed out for as much cash as he could get and could do pretty much anything he wanted ... seeing his name on a random bike stem probably doesn't elevate his heart rate much.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 02-02-24, 05:50 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 02-02-24, 07:45 PM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
The only problem I have with Trek is their choice of financing companies. Citizen's Bank should be put out to pasture.
Old 02-03-24, 09:19 AM
Steel Charlie

Originally Posted by Shadco

Clearly, Trek has no shame.
HAHAHAHA
Old 02-03-24, 01:05 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Think you used a big enough font size there, Butch?

Old 02-03-24, 07:16 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by terrymorse
I don’t know you would have to ask the Trek marketing department.

67'er
Old 02-03-24, 07:30 PM
Steel Charlie

Too much is never .......
Old 02-03-24, 07:33 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

I don’t know you would have to ask the Trek marketing department.
FYI, I was going for this Butch Cassidy reference:

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-03-24, 07:36 PM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I don't care about their marketing, my Madone just fits and feels fast. My favorite bike. It's way faster than my abilities. But, it just feels right.

Plus, my LBS in Altoona always treats me well.

Can't ask for much more.

I might start whining though, if the seat breaks off. lol
Old 02-03-24, 07:41 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
That down tube hurts to just look at it. It screams hungry graphic design gig worker.

I like red/white together. But, I wouldn't buy that bike because that, whatever that is, is over the top awful.

It's like the ever growing hood ornaments and insignia on cars nowadays. It used to be that a brand had an image, a style, some identifying feature that set it apart. Think the shape of a Coke bottle or Jeeps 7 vertical bars on the grill. Or even the driver side window forward drop near the mirrors on a Ford truck...Instantly recognizable as a defining characteristic of a brand. Now, the logo is so often the defining feature. Lazy. Desperate. Billboard for status seeking fools.

That down tube cheapens Trek.

Last edited by base2; 02-03-24 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-03-24, 08:14 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

FYI, I was going for this Butch Cassidy reference:

Ah ha, now I get it. Slow on the uptake I am sometimes.

67'er
Old 02-03-24, 08:17 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by base2
That down tube hurts to just look at it. It screams hungry graphic design gig worker.

I like red/white together. But, I wouldn't buy that bike because that, whatever that is, is over the top awful.

It's like the ever growing hood ornaments and insignia on cars nowadays. It used to be that a brand had an image, a style, some identifying feature that set it apart. Think the shape of a Coke bottle or Jeeps 7 vertical bars on the grill. Or even the driver side window forward drop near the mirrors on a Ford truck...Instantly recognizable as a defining characteristic of a brand. Now, the logo is so often the defining feature. Lazy. Desperate. Billboard for status seeking fools.

Conversely

67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 02-03-24, 08:31 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts

Seriously? Remember the Trans Am screaming chicken on the hood, HEMI plastered on the side of some garishly purple or mint green car. From what I recall Masi, Pinarello, Olmo etc. took up the whole down down tube in contrasting colours, just it was small tube that’s all. Back in the day all bikes were effectively made from the same materials and looked identical other than paint and graphics, that was a time of “status seeking fools” because effectively they were all the same if that is your perspective. There are many examples of modern bicycles with very subtle graphics and yet the same old men who yell at clouds complain about those boring blacked out bikes. Trying to build a case around one extreme example is sad. Then insulting them is pathetic.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-03-24 at 09:21 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 02-04-24, 12:18 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Seriously? Remember the Trans Am screaming chicken on the hood, HEMI plastered on the side of some garishly purple or mint green car. From what I recall Masi, Pinarello, Olmo etc. took up the whole down down tube in contrasting colours, just it was small tube that’s all. Back in the day all bikes were effectively made from the same materials and looked identical other than paint and graphics, that was a time of “status seeking fools” because effectively they were all the same if that is your perspective. There are many examples of modern bicycles with very subtle graphics and yet the same old men who yell at clouds complain about those boring blacked out bikes. Trying to build a case around one extreme example is sad. Then insulting them is pathetic.
I think you've missed the point.
Give this a read:
Martin Lindstrom

TLDR;
There are only a few brands that would pass the Smash Your Brand test today. Take a moment to consider it. If you were to remove your logo and any other textual reference to your brand name, would your customers still recognize the product as yours? Chances are that you will find that without the logo and name, your brand loses its meaning.
In conclusion:
Remember branding is everything but a logo – it’s a way to add a characteristic personality to your brand including every component creating a true point of difference.
The red/white Trek in the picture isn't the only failure. It is one of many. The giant billboard is a hack. It's a cheat code for personality. It totally overpowers and blots out all other potential genuine differentiating aspects of the bike. In short, that logo, in that way...It subtracts value.

At least the all black, blacked out image you provide allows the unique silhouette shape and other proportions of frame design to become apparent. The name is there. But the company manufacture is the least important aspect of the product identity. Paint & graphics is not "brand."

The second bike, as far as these things go, sort of gets it "right." It is unmistakably Trek by way of bulbous head tube top tube junction, top tube curvature flowing to seat stay & seat mast designs among other features. Features you don't get to see in the red/white example because it is so garish to look at. The design, it says "Trek" moreso than the graphics. In this particular case, in spite of the graphics.

To be fair, neither is very good at establishing a unique identity. That's probably the reason for the billboard in the first place. I stand by my original assertion.

Last edited by base2; 02-04-24 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-04-24, 09:17 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 2,958 Times in 1,681 Posts
I think you've missed the point.
Give this a read:
Martin Lindstrom

TLDR;

In conclusion:

The red/white Trek in the picture isn't the only failure. It is one of many. The giant billboard is a hack. It's a cheat code for personality. It totally overpowers and blots out all other potential genuine differentiating aspects of the bike. In short, that logo, in that way...It subtracts value.

At least the all black, blacked out image you provide allows the unique silhouette shape and other proportions of frame design to become apparent. The name is there. But the company manufacture is the least important aspect of the product identity. Paint & graphics is not "brand."

The second bike, as far as these things go, sort of gets it "right." It is unmistakably Trek by way of bulbous head tube top tube junction, top tube curvature flowing to seat stay & seat mast designs among other features. Features you don't get to see in the red/white example because it is so garish to look at. The design, it says "Trek" moreso than the graphics. In this particular case, in spite of the graphics.

To be fair, neither is very good at establishing a unique identity. That's probably the reason for the billboard in the first place. I stand by my original assertion.
On the topic of "unique identity":

I always enjoy reading the "what is this bike?" C&V threads that crop up frequently. Remove the decals from any of a thousand steel 1"-top-tube-1 1/8"-down-tube '70's and '80's bike models, change the components, and repaint, and it will usually take several of the resident experts and at least a dozen or more posts before a guarded consensus emerges, if it ever does.

Which explains why, back in the days when the body governing British bike racing prohibited the application of frame decals for advertising the bike brand, builders resorted to the use of unusual and easily identifiable features (e.g., Hellenic or wavy stays).

Those Treks, and other modern bikes, will likely be no more difficult to identify in the future than those C&V steel bikes.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-04-24, 10:11 AM
Steel Charlie

I have one of each of these. I really don't care for the gross logos but it is easy to live with since they're such great rides.
And totally black bikes are totally boring. A simple truth, not opinion.

Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 02-04-24, 05:28 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
Logo’s, talk about logo’s…

This is a bike from the other side of the Trek story… he couldn’t fit his brand on enough places of the bike!! (And I love it)

Likes For Jughed:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.