Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Giant agrees to sell kids and mountain bikes at Dick's-owned specialty stores

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-24, 04:07 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts

https://bicycleretailer.com/industry...ecialty-stores

From the press release:

Giant said Dick's has pursued the brand for five years and emphasized it remains "100%" committed to retailers. Giant said its bikes most likely will be available online from those stores' online sites.

We are taking this action to attract non-riders and crossover athletes to see bikes that aren't typically visiting independent bicycle dealers.

100% committed to retailers, yet opening up another revenue stream for Giant that effectively bypasses the dealer network?

Giant says they're going after customers that wouldn't necessarily visit a traditional LBS. But if it's online, we're just talking about which website is being visited, not which brick-and-mortar store is being visited.

Sounds like a thin ploy to gain market share at the cost of the existing dealer network. I don't see how a small / independent shop could compete with the likes of a Dick's-owned specialty retailer.
Old 02-12-24, 04:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 15,572 Times in 7,335 Posts
What a Dick’s move. See what I did there?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-12-24, 04:39 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Wonder what Tony Lo has to say about this?
Old 02-12-24, 04:49 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
Following Trek, and Cannondale, not surprised.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 02-12-24, 05:13 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
This reminds me of the film industry, where theaters have movies exclusively for a period of time before the films are sent off to wider distribution.

However, as much as the bike shops might complain, this might actually be good for them. Look up Cabella's. They sell hunting/fishing type stuff on a scale bigger than Dick's by opening massive stores in the middle of nowhere. The more people Cabella's gets into outdoor sports, the more it helps the various local specialty shops.
Old 02-12-24, 05:27 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12780 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
This reminds me of the film industry, where theaters have movies exclusively for a period of time before the films are sent off to wider distribution.

However, as much as the bike shops might complain, this might actually be good for them. Look up Cabella's. They sell hunting/fishing type stuff on a scale bigger than Dick's by opening massive stores in the middle of nowhere. The more people Cabella's gets into outdoor sports, the more it helps the various local specialty shops.
Dick's in AZ stopped selling fishing gear in AZ several years ago, except the Prescott location, but even that store might've stopped by now. Too much competition from Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Sportsman's Warehouse.

As for this bike news, there aren't any Public Lands stores within 1000 miles of here, so this Giant deal won't affect me for a while.

Nope I lied, it's only 995 miles to Public Lands in Medford, OR
Old 02-12-24, 05:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I wonder how Pon feels about this. They've pretty much been "THE" bike supplier for DSG for quite a while.
Old 02-12-24, 05:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by Shadco
Following Trek, and Cannondale, not surprised.

Cannondale is owned by Pon, which supplies bikes to DSG already.
Old 02-12-24, 06:48 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26425 Post(s)
Liked 10,381 Times in 7,209 Posts
Taiwanese bicycling mega-brand Giant Group reported a significant drop in year-over-year sales for 2023.

With 2023 sales of NT$76.95 billion in 2023—or about $2.43 billion USD at the time of this writing—Giant Group was down 16.4 percent from the full-year sales totals of 2022. The company reports its earnings in its local currency, Taiwan New Dollars.

The group suffered a dismal fourth quarter, with a massive November 2023 sales drop-off of 28.1 percent. December rebounded slightly, with a drop-off of nearly 26 percent from the previous year. Overall, the group saw an overall decline of 39.9 percent in the year’s fourth quarter from 2022, owing in large part to a reduction in orders from OEM customers.
https://www.bicycling.com/news/a4644...hould-rebound/
...it's not easy being big.
Old 02-12-24, 07:08 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Inevitable, it's a business after all.
Old 02-12-24, 07:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Giant hasn't been committed to IBDs in a long time, I think pretty all the shops in my area have either dropped them or gotten dropped by Giant. Nobody wants their crap anyway. The stuff they make fro everyone else fine stuff but their own products aren't really that great except on the higher end and even that isn't going to be as good as Specialized or Cannondale or Trek. However like most major manufacturers they are going to keep going the route of big fat middle finger to all of their dealers while claiming to still support them.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-12-24, 07:24 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Wait till they start showing up here:

https://www.goinggoinggone.com/
Old 02-12-24, 07:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by seypat
Wait till they start showing up here:

https://www.goinggoinggone.com/
Dang I was hoping to find a cheep Nishiki or GT on there. No dice though, here's what I got searching for bicycle, pretty sweet 404 page!

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 02-12-24, 08:47 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Dang I was hoping to find a cheep Nishiki or GT on there. No dice though, here's what I got searching for bicycle, pretty sweet 404 page!

Around Xmas time I got a couple of Black Diamond headlamps for about 1/2 of any place that was selling them. They also have/had Balega? socks for $6.99 a pair.
Old 02-13-24, 01:20 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts

I am all for selling mountain bikes but I don't think Dick's or Giant should be selling kids before they reach their majority.
Old 02-13-24, 04:21 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
So according to the title, they're selling kids?
Old 02-13-24, 05:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The stuff they make fro everyone else fine stuff but their own products aren't really that great except on the higher end and even that isn't going to be as good as Specialized or Cannondale or Trek.
Their higher end bikes are every bit as good as all the other competing brands. Similarly their lower end bikes are no worse than lower end Trek, Specialized etc. They just lack a bit of brand kudos, that’s all.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-13-24, 09:55 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by nomadmax
So according to the title, they're selling kids?
I hope the OP was just kidding,
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-13-24, 09:58 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I hope the OP was just kidding,
I guess the bonus is you can buy a kid AND a mountain bike for them in one location
Old 02-13-24, 10:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by nomadmax
I guess the bonus is you can buy a kid AND a mountain bike for them in one location
I put in a lot of effort to avoid acquiring the former.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-13-24, 11:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Luckily, there are a number of good bike shops around here. I do almost all of my own work, but would not hesitate to go to the most of the bike shops if I didn't. Don't know that I would care to go to a general sporting goods store if I needed work done. They might have a good mechanic, but my confidence resides with a dedicated bike shop. Might be good for areas not lucky enough to have a bike shop nearby I guess.
Old 02-13-24, 03:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Their higher end bikes are every bit as good as all the other competing brands. Similarly their lower end bikes are no worse than lower end Trek, Specialized etc. They just lack a bit of brand kudos, that’s all.
The low end is worse. Having sold similar bikes with similar specs at the same time in similar enough quantities the Giant bikes were brought in 2:1 over other stuff and we were mostly dealing Specialized. I remember their higher to mid range stuff having the goofiest stem containing hydraulic fluid so instead of using full cables or going for the early but existing Shimano hydro STI levers they did something on their own which was quite silly and unneeded. Yes I will grant that every brand does silly stuff but usually in regards to comfort and some sort of Cush or mush to make it better.

They do lack brand kudos but they also make a product that isn't quite as good the higher end is better in comparison especially these days but the low end is still quite low.
Old 02-14-24, 06:42 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
For the Local Bike Shops, it boils down to service. Emphasis is to sell the service and secondarily the bike.

Other thing is the e-bike. The Local Bike Shops are going to be there when the batteries and stuff stop working.
Old 02-14-24, 07:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The low end is worse. Having sold similar bikes with similar specs at the same time in similar enough quantities the Giant bikes were brought in 2:1 over other stuff and we were mostly dealing Specialized. I remember their higher to mid range stuff having the goofiest stem containing hydraulic fluid so instead of using full cables or going for the early but existing Shimano hydro STI levers they did something on their own which was quite silly and unneeded. Yes I will grant that every brand does silly stuff but usually in regards to comfort and some sort of Cush or mush to make it better.

They do lack brand kudos but they also make a product that isn't quite as good the higher end is better in comparison especially these days but the low end is still quite low.
I’ll take your word for it on the low end bikes. Sounds like they just extend their range lower down. On the higher end bikes you seem to have cherry picked a specific feature they did badly at some point in the past. My 2019 Defy Advanced Pro has a slightly quirky box stem design with integrated brake hoses which is not the most elegant solution, but otherwise works fine and the frame is as good as anything else in it’s class. I noticed they redesigned the stem a couple of years later and the revised version looked much neater.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-14-24, 07:04 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I can imagine this might blip indie stores sales of these products but it doesn't take long to figure out you need quality service, not just a paypal transaction, for bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.