Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Riding the same route: Recommended or inadvisable?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-19-13, 12:45 PM
tariqa
Ancient wisdom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do you ride the same path everyday? If so what do you think about doing so. Do you think it becomes a chore or do you think it builds a better skill set by mastering one route instead of sampling a bunch?

In my opinion, I prefer riding the same route over and over because it makes the ride easier and easier until you dont even notice it is a routine. Almost second nature. I find that some people try to learn a bunch of different routes and that is good for backup routes so it is always good to learn all possible ways.

I would think most people just ride whatever route is safer and faster.. Anyone that disagree or agrees or both? Maybe riding the same route everyday dulls one senses to riding and changing up the routes makes one renewed??

Also do you think the faster route is worth it if it saves time but is more dangerous or the opposite?

Last edited by tariqa; 10-19-13 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-19-13, 01:01 PM
sam21fire
Flying and Riding

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
I prefer a little variety, plus some days I only have time for the 'direct route' and others I have the time and inclination to take a longer or more challenging route.
As a basic security plan, though, I never ride or drive the same route at the same time two days in a row.
Old 10-19-13, 01:23 PM
tariqa
Ancient wisdom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sam21fire
I prefer a little variety, plus some days I only have time for the 'direct route' and others I have the time and inclination to take a longer or more challenging route.
As a basic security plan, though, I never ride or drive the same route at the same time two days in a row.
What? Ride the same route at the same time? Doesnt make sense.

Also how much time do you save on the direct route? Is the direct route safe? If it is less safe route, do you feel you save that much more time or do you think it is safer to just go with the safer but longer route?
Old 10-19-13, 01:32 PM
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Like a twig in a raging river, I just follow the path of least resistance and let the elements (traffic/lights etc.) guide me to my destination. This results in subtle route variations, but nothing I actually plan or think about.
Old 10-19-13, 01:44 PM
tariqa
Ancient wisdom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Like a twig in a raging river, I just follow the path of least resistance and let the elements (traffic/lights etc.) guide me to my destination. This results in subtle route variations, but nothing I actually plan or think about.
do you think the faster route is worth it if it saves time but is more dangerous or the opposite?
Old 10-19-13, 01:51 PM
Blue_Bulldog

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This depends for me

We have a Greenway where I live. Depending on where you're going, taking the Greenway instead of 10th St will cut a good 5 min off your ride. However, that's rare unless you're going downtown. But on the other hand, the Greenway is a dang fine ride if the weather is nice, and I much prefer riding along the banks of the Tar River than playing Human Frogger with the jerkwad motorists in this town. As far as when I'm on the road, this varies too. There's a little spot where it's my favorite place in all of the town to bike... but I have to be in the mood for it. Yesterday, I needed to blow some steam and wasn't in a particular rush... took Cotanche St instead of my regular route. Never would have done that if I had somewhere to be.

So I suppose short answer, find a route that is ROUTE-ine for you, that's the quickest, most expeditious way for you to get there. Then find two more routes. One that's for a really nice day and you're in no hurry, and one for rain. If you take the same route, there's no harm in that, but variety spices something up (I forget what it was).
Old 10-19-13, 01:52 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Reccomended: as you now know the route and can avoid dangerous situations.
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Are you worried about being Kidnapped and Held for Ransom ,
if you are riding the same route, predictably, every day?

you must be very important , might need Armed Bodyguards ..

Choices,.. do you have an alternate realm of existence, ? maybe Valhalla?
Its straight Up, over the top or a long route.. along the river bank and bay shore .
or in the river ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-22-13 at 12:52 PM.
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Inadvisable: as you can learn about new danger and apply them to your normal route.
Mr. Hairy Legs
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by tariqa
do you think the faster route is worth it if it saves time but is more dangerous or the opposite?
If the faster route felt considerably more dangerous, I would avoid it. In my case, it's not too bad so I never go 'out of my way' to avoid cars.
Old 10-19-13, 02:00 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 127 Posts
Having routine (like regular time, and/or path) makes it easier for someone to kill you if they plan to.

Apart from that, if you're in some normal business - familiar route is good, but variety gives you extra experience and choices in case of road blocks, changes of traffic etc.

I mix it - shortest route is nice and safe, except during afternoon rushours, when I take a nicer, but slightly longer route.
Old 10-19-13, 02:18 PM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Learn as many routes as possible. Stick only with the safest routes. Better to arrive late than never to arrive at all.
Old 10-19-13, 02:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've ridden my regular commute 1400 times according to my commute logging site so I'd be a hypocrite advise otherwise. I know everything about that route, where to expect water or debris, what the surface is going to be, where people are most likely to do something stupid, how crowded and who else will be there. There's something to be said for that.

But I do have alternate routes, high traffic, hills and stoplights that I'll take when the mood strikes me or I'm forced to for some reason. I think it's a good idea to become familiar with all the alternate routes on nice days, when you have good energy, so that you're ready when you need them and have no reservations about it when you just feel like the change. So ... every
once in awhile I just come home a different way.

Last edited by wphamilton; 10-19-13 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-19-13, 03:13 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If you have options, use them. Makes the ride more interesting. As a car-bike multimodal commuter, I can change my starting point and ride a different route, and shorten or lengthen the ride. Sometimes the wind direction and strength influences the route. The last 5 miles to work is the same for me because it is the only safe route available. River on one side and highway on the other.
Old 10-19-13, 05:25 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Realistically speaking, I don't really have many choices as to my route to work. On the way home, I have one other choice; it adds about three miles, and is a much safer route. In the winter, I have no alternative route choices.
Old 10-19-13, 05:51 PM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first two miles and last one mile of my commute are always exactly the same because they are the only routes I regard as safe (for me). The middle 2.5-3.5 can vary, but only between a handful of options. I'm pretty new to bike commuting and find that having a set routine helps me feel more confident. I know the paths I take well -- down to where each pothole and manhole cover can be found.
Old 10-19-13, 07:23 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm into the time of year when there's not a lot of motivation for alternate routes; doing 9-mile loops when 2-, 3-, and 4-milers are available isn't as fun when it's 35F out, with a 10-15mph wind. But there are still little changes I can make on the short routes.

I change up to avoid boredom. Not sure what kind of danger you'd have to deal with, unless drivers are especially stupid where you live.
Old 10-19-13, 08:05 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Having routine (like regular time, and/or path) makes it easier for someone to kill you if they plan to.
I suppose so, but I've encountered fewer honks and other harassment by motorists once I've used a given commute route a few times. I presume that I become expected as a regular feature of the commute and recognized as just another commuter rather than as an obstacle that's 'in their way.' Since I don't think I have any acquaintances who would go out of their way plotting to do me in, I figure the added safety of being an expected part of the traffic stream outweighs the risk.
Old 10-19-13, 08:13 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have alternate routes that add 1 to 30 miles to my most direct route. Variety is the spice of life.
Old 10-19-13, 09:07 PM
the fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue_Bulldog
This depends for me

We have a Greenway where I live. Depending on where you're going, taking the Greenway instead of 10th St will cut a good 5 min off your ride. However, that's rare unless you're going downtown. But on the other hand, the Greenway is a dang fine ride if the weather is nice, and I much prefer riding along the banks of the Tar River than playing Human Frogger with the jerkwad motorists in this town. As far as when I'm on the road, this varies too. There's a little spot where it's my favorite place in all of the town to bike... but I have to be in the mood for it. Yesterday, I needed to blow some steam and wasn't in a particular rush... took Cotanche St instead of my regular route. Never would have done that if I had somewhere to be.

So I suppose short answer, find a route that is ROUTE-ine for you, that's the quickest, most expeditious way for you to get there. Then find two more routes. One that's for a really nice day and you're in no hurry, and one for rain. If you take the same route, there's no harm in that, but variety spices something up (I forget what it was).
I'm from greenville too, and took the greenway today. just for future reference, the wooden bridge between 5th and 10th is barely passable when wet. I rode part of the greenway today after a rain. I wasn't thiinking and took it at speed and hit the deck within the first 50 feet. wood so slick I could barely stand. IIRC, there is at least 1 other wood bridge, so I'd be careful if it's wet.

I probably have a death wish, but there are times I like to mix it up with traffic a little in greenville. I draw the line at greenville blvd though. I'll gladly take the sidewalk, and look ridiculous doing it.
Old 10-19-13, 09:09 PM
Sasquatch.

Bikes: Trek 520 Disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate riding the same way everyday, my morning commute to work is always the same but my way home is an adventure just waiting to happen. I am having to go way out of my way now to find different ways home.
Old 10-19-13, 09:17 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have alternate routes that add 1 to 30 miles to my most direct route. Variety is the spice of life.
This.

My morning commute varies very little. My hours are a little flexible, so I ride straight to work in the AM. Five miles in 25 minutes and I start working when I get there and leave in time to catch an afternoon train. I get to set my hours based on transit schedules. Afternoons I get off in enought time to make it to a station nine miles away, and twice a week catch a later train at a station thirty miles away. The route to the nine mile ride is almost the same every day. I am able to vary the 30 mile route somewhat.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 10-19-13 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-19-13, 09:20 PM
Blue_Bulldog

Bikes: GTR 3 Series, Pure Fix India, Mongoose Ledge 2.1

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the fly
I'm from greenville too, and took the greenway today. just for future reference, the wooden bridge between 5th and 10th is barely passable when wet. I rode part of the greenway today after a rain. I wasn't thiinking and took it at speed and hit the deck within the first 50 feet. wood so slick I could barely stand. IIRC, there is at least 1 other wood bridge, so I'd be careful if it's wet.

I probably have a death wish, but there are times I like to mix it up with traffic a little in greenville. I draw the line at greenville blvd though. I'll gladly take the sidewalk, and look ridiculous doing it.
The bridge by that one elementary school? Yeah, I've seen like 3-4 crazy wipeouts there. I think it's because the bridge is so darned pretty that folks forget falling down is still a thing.

I take Greenville Blvd on the regular, and the trick to me is to just ride like I totally belong there... since technically I do. I found if I stand my ground (no pun intended) then motorists respect my space. It gets a little dicey at Evans St, but a little confidence goes a long way.

It's Stantonsburg Rd that can feel absolutely free to go screw itself.
Old 10-19-13, 09:27 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the same route. Do you find different routes to drive your car?
Old 10-19-13, 09:44 PM
the fly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue_Bulldog
The bridge by that one elementary school? Yeah, I've seen like 3-4 crazy wipeouts there. I think it's because the bridge is so darned pretty that folks forget falling down is still a thing.

I take Greenville Blvd on the regular, and the trick to me is to just ride like I totally belong there... since technically I do. I found if I stand my ground (no pun intended) then motorists respect my space. It gets a little dicey at Evans St, but a little confidence goes a long way.

It's Stantonsburg Rd that can feel absolutely free to go screw itself.
It's that bridge. I think it's mainly the tree cover that makes it slick. Junk from the trees, plus staying wet longer from the shade makes it real slippery, as I found out today.

You're right about the confidence thing. I've just got to make myself not get overconfident or complacent. I don't commute by bike, so I pretty much pick and choose where to ride. Endless miles in the country get pretty dull at times, and a quick trip thru town gets me going sometimes. Plus is it really worse playing in traffic? I suspect alot of people here, if they were to hit you miles from civilization, would gladly let you die a slow death as they eyed your limp body in their rear view. At least in town, people would see you, and hopefully not mistake you for a random homeless guy down on his luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.