Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Which backpack?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Which backpack?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-05, 02:15 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Which backpack?

What backpack do you use for commuting? I am thinking about the golite 24.
Old 10-21-05, 02:30 PM
tink20seven
sleeper class

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.baileyworks.com/

forget the backpack.
Old 10-21-05, 03:02 PM
BikeLite

I knew someone would say that, but didn't know how soon. : )
Old 10-21-05, 04:14 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
i use a columbia backpack... nothing special about it either. of course, i'm carrying books(accounting) in it so it's alittle heavy.

side note: i just bought a rear rack so i'm going to start putting the backpack on it.

if you're set on a backpack.. i think anything with chest strap and a waist strap will work fine. then again, these two features aren't really needed.

what distance is your commute?
Old 10-21-05, 05:47 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went to Walmart, and picked up a lightweight backpack in the camping section, $18. The back is padded, the straps padded, and has a strap across the chest that clips together to keep it snug to your body. It is a medium to small size, and has more than enough room for everything. I also wear it when I go skiing. I really like mine, even though I went to a trunk bag now.
Old 10-21-05, 06:49 PM
phillybill

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been partial to a Marmot Blueridge that I got from REI when I am doing a longer commute of around 18 miles. It sits well on my shoulders and the waist belt fits well when I am in the drops. Got it at REI.

https://www.northernmountain.com/detail/PA10529
Old 10-21-05, 07:11 PM
Shorty
Riding is Praying

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Fisher Tassajara, Indy Fab Crown Jewel; Titan NOS fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anything but a backpack.

Hope these images turn out. They're just some of many other options.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/originals.htm

Old 10-23-05, 05:56 PM
mormonsniper

Bikes: Nothing yet, use to have a Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks,
My first post. I too am looking for something to carry "stuff" in. I just got a new bike so I am relearning how to ride at 52. Commuting to work, aerobic exercise (easier on the organs than running), etc. The bike is a Fisher X-Caliber. I have a small rack on the back (detachable bag included) for bike tools & parts but I wanted something for my lunch bucket and contents of my briefcase that I am going to dump shortly.

https://www.maxpedition.com/product/p...gs_monsoon.htm

on edit: https://www.maxpedition.com/product/p...vp_jumbo_s.htm

The maxpeditions or a camelbak of some type will do. I own neither at the moment. I am not associated with either company.

I like the forums here and I am learning a lot. Thanks everyone.

ms

(yes I am)

Last edited by mormonsniper; 10-23-05 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 06:59 PM
procrustes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Camelbak Ares with the bladder removed (about $50 at the usual online discounters) - it holds my laptop + a few papers, change of clothes, raingear, arm/leg warmers, lock & tools/tubes (but not much room left over).

Other backpacks may have similar features so you may want to look around, but what I like is that it has a very slight flexible internal frame & ventilated stand-offs which help keep you fairly cool. The internal frame is nice - I never have anything poking through & never worry about "torquing" my laptop. It has a beltline strap which keeps it tight to the body.

Opinion time... I have plenty of experience with panniers & some with messenger bags & I way prefer the backpack for my commute. I ride hard enough that I get sweaty no matter how I carry my stuff - I change clothes at work so I don't mind a few sweat spots on my back. I like the stand-offs & the better shoulder support vs the messenger bag. A messenger bag has some advantage if you are loading/unloading frequently but will also leave (usually large) sweaty spots. Good backpacks & messenger bags feel like part of your body so they don't significantly impact your bike handling.

Panniers are good if you have back pain issues or are carrying large loads or for extended rides (ie - weight x time = sore back). My commute is only 40 minutes each way & I don't like having my bike handle like a dump truck. If you are commuting in your work clothes & ride slow (not sweaty) then panniers might also be the way to go.
Old 10-23-05, 07:00 PM
EXCALIBUR
Proud To Be An American

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress SX 2006 Giant OCR 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a Polo Sport backpack from Costco for about $15.00. It even has a pocket that I can fit my tennis racquet into (the handle sticks out). All in all, a very nice pack.
Old 10-23-05, 07:15 PM
Gusboh
On your left fatty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mormonsniper
(yes I am)
What do you shoot them with?
Old 10-23-05, 08:44 PM
BikeLite

Wheels4, my commute is 3 miles one way.
Old 10-23-05, 09:05 PM
threephi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Kelty Basalt pack, and it's just about perfect IMO. It's water resistant and has a wishlist of great features: comfy straps, a breathable padded back, side mesh pockets for water bottles or whatever, and extraordinary organization of the pockets, including one at the top (intended as an i-pod pocket) that you can easily get into by reaching behind your neck.

https://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm...pe=Pack&ID=213

However winter is coming and great as this backpack is, it's too small to hold the added gear and clothing changes I'll need to take with me to work. My ortliebs are supposed to arrive this wednesday
Old 10-23-05, 09:46 PM
allgoo19
Deported by koffee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't use back pack often when I'm riding bicycle, but maybe once a week. I use JanSport I bought at Costco for $10.- made mostly for students.

I have three back packs in total and they all work good. One thing I want in back pack while riding a bike is more air flow between the pack and my back. There should be a back pack specific to bicycle riding that has ridges in the front instead of just one panel of pad covers the whole front part to make it more breathable.

Last edited by allgoo19; 10-24-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 10:44 PM
cabaray

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, a 70's Bottecchia, Trek 930 and a few others in various states of disrepair.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a camelback blowfish which I picked up nos at a yard sale for 20.00. I guess the reason I'm saying this is if I didn't run across the blowfish I'd still be using my standard daypack/backpack. Is there a difference between the two? Well yeah but not as much as I thought there would be. The camelback is well made and has raised pads on the back to create an air layer between you and the pack. It is cooler but I still sweat. The shoulder straps on the other hand are really well though out, nice weight distribution and the chest and waist straps snug everything up. I'm still looking for that illusive well ventilated pack, though.
Old 10-24-05, 01:28 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
bikelite... with a 3mile commute, any backpack should do just fine.

if my commute was 3 miles one way, i'd buy the cheapest backpack i could find... well, actually.. i did and my commute is 22.5miles one way. lol but, anyways.

good luck!
Old 10-24-05, 05:09 PM
FraAngelico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
go with a chrome
Old 10-24-05, 05:20 PM
mormonsniper

Bikes: Nothing yet, use to have a Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No no no... I'm the Mormon (Latter-day Saint) and I'm the sniper!

Another hobby (I built an AR15 that is kinda accurate) I was able to shoot and hit a clay bird at about 200 yards (NOT handloads-Lake City Ammo) standing (2 shots), then I hit a container of tannerite (1 shot) at the same distance. Match wilson barrel (air gauged 1:8 twist), Match trigger (2 stage) etct. Someone asked me if I worked for the police department. I said no. They thought I should. I retired from the Army some 12 years ago. I have to wear contacts and glasses now, but I can still shoot relatively well.

I also enjoy weight lifting, golf, running, saltwater aquaria, electronics, ham radio, reloading, & fixing things. I repair medical equipment now - I am a G-man (work for the Veterans Affairs Medical Health System). And of course, the Church. Married, three stepsons & two biological offspring, one of whom is on her way back to Iraq for her second tour, this time in the US Army (first tour was with the Navy).

Wow, too much information.

Blessings to all,
ms
Old 01-04-06, 08:34 PM
BikeLite

For follow up I ended up with the Dana Design Kompressor for my pack. It was on sale at www.northernmountain.com. The site below has good pics.

https://www.backcountry-equipment.com...kompressor.php
Old 01-04-06, 08:40 PM
cgchambers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used backpacks in the past, they just always ended up bothering me. Always felt like I was carrying to much. I had always avoided messenger bags, but finally tried one out back in July. I love my Timbuk 2 messenger bag, I just wish I had not waited so long to try out. I don't need to carry much, just a small laptop, wallet, and cell phone. The bags are great for that, if you have to carry a lot more though..... Hope this is some kind of help
Old 01-05-06, 12:59 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Arkel Bug. The best of both worlds.

https://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/bac...asp?fl=1&site=
Old 01-05-06, 03:01 AM
sngltrackdufus
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mormonsniper
No no no... I'm the Mormon (Latter-day Saint) and I'm the sniper!

Another hobby (I built an AR15 that is kinda accurate) I was able to shoot and hit a clay bird at about 200 yards (NOT handloads-Lake City Ammo) standing (2 shots), then I hit a container of tannerite (1 shot) at the same distance. Match wilson barrel (air gauged 1:8 twist), Match trigger (2 stage) etct. Someone asked me if I worked for the police department. I said no. They thought I should. I retired from the Army some 12 years ago. I have to wear contacts and glasses now, but I can still shoot relatively well.

I also enjoy weight lifting, golf, running, saltwater aquaria, electronics, ham radio, reloading, & fixing things. I repair medical equipment now - I am a G-man (work for the Veterans Affairs Medical Health System). And of course, the Church. Married, three stepsons & two biological offspring, one of whom is on her way back to Iraq for her second tour, this time in the US Army (first tour was with the Navy).

Wow, too much information
Blessings to all,
ms
err , was that Pidgeon in flight??
Now that would be an amazing shot in even the prone position let alone offhand
The disgruntled sniper.....
If it moves KILL it & if it doesn't kill it anyways

Last edited by sngltrackdufus; 01-05-06 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-05-06, 03:31 AM
sngltrackdufus
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cabaray
I have a camelback blowfish which I picked up nos at a yard sale for 20.00. I guess the reason I'm saying this is if I didn't run across the blowfish I'd still be using my standard daypack/backpack. Is there a difference between the two? Well yeah but not as much as I thought there would be. The camelback is well made and has raised pads on the back to create an air layer between you and the pack. It is cooler but I still sweat. The shoulder straps on the other hand are really well though out, nice weight distribution and the chest and waist straps snug everything up. I'm still looking for that illusive well ventilated pack, though.
I use a Blowfish also & like it much.. $20 is a great deal. I am especially fond of the way the pack can be opened & closed for the extra room & the water valve along with the big opening for cleaning purposes of the bladder.
Old 01-05-06, 04:05 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Don't use a backpack. Use panniers instead.

Don't use a backpack. Use panniers instead.

Don't... HOWEVER ,

should you choose to use a backpack, make sure it has compression straps in addition to zipper. A full pack will put a lot of stress on the zipper, breaking it quickly if there are no straps.

Ask me how I know... I also know that the "lifetime guarantee" in Eastpak backpacks does NOT cover moving parts, such as zippers. Duh. I don't know what it covers, then. Maybe they guarantee their fabric will not suddenly dematerialize or something.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 01-05-06, 08:07 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swiss Army daypack. $7.00 at Ross Dress for Less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.