Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek DS 8.3 tire advice

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek DS 8.3 tire advice

Old 07-20-15, 12:19 AM
pookieman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek DS 8.3 tire advice

Hi

I use the bike for a 12k daily commute and riding on the weekends with the kids on hard packed trails (secretly hoping they get into it more and we can do more adventurous off road biking), I looked at the 7.2/7.3 but wasn't confident the wheels and/or frame were up to the task, I'm 6'5'' and 200lbs.

Anyway love the bike, I'm not going for a speed record but I feel like the rolling resistance is a bit much the tires are the stock Bontrager LT2, 700x38c. The question I have is without getting slick road tires what would be a good option to maintain the stability but not the width, I was thinking about getting a 700x28 tire, I think that's the thinnest I can go safely on the current wheels. I assume I have to get a different inner tube as well?

Maybe it's just me I have the PSI at 80 which is around the max but I can visibly see the tire flatten when I get on, I'd like to be able to increase the PSI as well. I live in the Pacific North West so we get plenty of rain.

Finally question what is the difference between a 700x28 and a 700x28c ? what is the 'c' for.

Many thanks!
Old 07-20-15, 12:32 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by pookieman
Hi

I use the bike for a 12k daily commute and riding on the weekends with the kids on hard packed trails (secretly hoping they get into it more and we can do more adventurous off road biking), I looked at the 7.2/7.3 but wasn't confident the wheels and/or frame were up to the task, I'm 6'5'' and 200lbs.

Anyway love the bike, I'm not going for a speed record but I feel like the rolling resistance is a bit much the tires are the stock Bontrager LT2, 700x38c. The question I have is without getting slick road tires what would be a good option to maintain the stability but not the width, I was thinking about getting a 700x28 tire, I think that's the thinnest I can go safely on the current wheels. I assume I have to get a different inner tube as well?

Maybe it's just me I have the PSI at 80 which is around the max but I can visibly see the tire flatten when I get on, I'd like to be able to increase the PSI as well. I live in the Pacific North West so we get plenty of rain.

Finally question what is the difference between a 700x28 and a 700x28c ? what is the 'c' for.

Many thanks!
Our late beloved guru Sheldon Brown has a history of tire systems and he notes that in the French system - the nominal letter indicated the width of the tire. C is a wide width tire although originally it applied only to narrow road bike tires! There is more information about it here:

Tire Sizing Systems
Old 07-20-15, 09:00 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
If you are thinking about hanging them anyway, have you tried pumping them up to 90 or 95 ? If not, why not?
Old 07-20-15, 09:11 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
There will be visible flex in the tire, but as long as you don't feel the rim hit the ground when you hit a bump then you are not under-inflated.

I ride 700X32 tires and keep them between 80 and 95 psi and I weigh 240 lbs, so your 38 mm tires at 80 psi should be fine.
Old 07-20-15, 10:55 AM
pookieman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
If you are thinking about hanging them anyway, have you tried pumping them up to 90 or 95 ? If not, why not?
I did.. second week I had the bike, in the morning bike was on it's side and the tire had exploded, ended up having to get a new tube and tire which was had pieces missing from it.
Old 07-20-15, 10:56 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I can't imagine going below 32-35 on a DS. Particularly if you are on any kind of trail. I would suggest a tire that is not as "knobby" as your LT2's. Something like a Bontrager H5 or the even less aggressive H2. Of course there are plenty of other examples in other brands such as the Marathon Mondial . Some of the other less "knobby" Marathon models are also popular among riders on this forum.
Old 07-20-15, 11:44 AM
pookieman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1
I can't imagine going below 32-35 on a DS. Particularly if you are on any kind of trail. I would suggest a tire that is not as "knobby" as your LT2's. Something like a Bontrager H5 or the even less aggressive H2. Of course there are plenty of other examples in other brands such as the Marathon Mondial . Some of the other less "knobby" Marathon models are also popular among riders on this forum.
Yes I see what you mean, I guess a 32 is also fine, can I just ask a follow up question, apologies I'm a completely noob at this stuff.

Does the inner tube have a rating for how much PSI it can handle? or does it all come down to the tire? Are different inner tube brands better at handling a higher PSI?

thank you again!
Old 07-20-15, 12:52 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I did.. second week I had the bike, in the morning bike was on it's side and the tire had exploded, ended up having to get a new tube and tire which was had pieces missing from it.
Must have been something wrong with your tires, or installation. I have frequently over inflated tires, going as high as 115# on old 27" non hooked rims, with tires rated for 90PSI... Right now, my Crosstrail with Schwalbes, is over inflated by 10-15 pounds, and my Sirrus with All Conditions, the same. I just aired up my Grandaughters 10# over the recommended 90 on her Kendas, and my Grandsons Kendas 15# over the recommended 65 --- just today!

When it comes to pressure testing, most manufacturers go at least 50% over maximum recommended pressure... tht's just common practice!
Old 07-20-15, 02:20 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1
I would suggest a tire that is not as "knobby" as your LT2's.
^^THIS^^

Stay with the same tire size you have.

H5 700C - | Bontrager

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb.../trigger-sport
Old 07-20-15, 02:45 PM
ShortLegCyclist

Bikes: Many bikes in three states and two countries, mainly riding Moots Vamoots, Lynskey R265 disc and a Spot Denver Zephyr nowadays

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I see what you mean, I guess a 32 is also fine, can I just ask a follow up question, apologies I'm a completely noob at this stuff.

Does the inner tube have a rating for how much PSI it can handle? or does it all come down to the tire? Are different inner tube brands better at handling a higher PSI?

thank you again!
My understanding is it is all about the tire, not the inner tube in terms of max pressure.

No matter the name on the inner tube odds are it came from a factory in Taiwan or China.