Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 08-11-15, 08:50 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agreed
Old 08-11-15, 09:51 AM
Zinja

Bikes: 2016, Trek DS, 8.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's gloss. The striping is navy blue, army green and orange. I've installed a Blendr stem, carbon fiber cage, Ion 700 light, Burley attachment, seat pack and rear light.

I must admit the tires are slick in the mud when going up hills. A full-time single track rider may want to upgrade to beefier tires. Then again, this is a dual-sport bike.

The remote lock suspension works great.
Old 08-12-15, 08:03 PM
Filerunner

Bikes: 2016 Trek 8.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevil
Just got mine last night... really nice... what did they give you for tires?
Bontrager LT2 comp 700x38
Old 08-18-15, 04:19 PM
neptuneblue55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 17.5 and I am going to either put adjustable stem or a riser stem
Old 08-19-15, 07:04 AM
dsrider2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak rack w/ BackRack strut nut kit

Originally Posted by gpburdell
Here's the info on the rack setup if anyone's curious:

Rack is a Topeak MTX Explorer Disc rack; not a lot to my choice other than I bought it used in a package deal with the trunk bag at a very good price. I'd seen posts about using the Bontrager/Trek mounting bracket arms with the Topeak rack, fastening them together with P-clamps.

When I ordered the "BackRack Large Strut Kit" mounting bracket arms from my LBS, I took a gamble and also ordered the "BackRack Strut Nut Kit" to see if they'd fit. It was $5 for the struts and $7 for the nut kit. See Bontrager BackRack Parts - Racks - Accessories -Trek Store for the parts (in the pull-downs).

Install couldn't have been simpler. I cut the struts to the appropriate size to level the rack using a tubing cutter (a hacksaw would have worked) and put it together. I'm pleased at the results.

While I've not used the MTX TrunkBag EXP much, I'm pleased with it so far.
Hey gpburdell,
I just got a 2016 DS 8.6 also. And bought the Topeak rack to go with the MTX trunk bag too! Then I found your excellent pictures - and the tip about using the BackRack struts and nut kit - it really looks great - So I bought them too-
One question though - When I slide the trunk bag onto the rack, the new nuts interfere with the bag clicking into place. If I push hard, the plastic base of the bag will bend up and over the nuts and then the bag will click into position. Do you have this issue? What are you doing about it? I thought about cutting the corners of the plastic base to fit around the nuts - but just wondering what you did. Thanks - and thanks again for the great pictures - looks just like my bike-
Old 08-19-15, 07:52 AM
dsrider2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak rack w/ BackRack strut nut kit (follow up)

Looking at your pictures again - and trying to figure out a solution - Looks like you have a 15.5" or 17.5" frame? The bontrager struts on your bike angle up to the rack which would cant the nuts forward - maybe enough that they don't interfere with the bag. I have a 21" frame and the struts are parallel to the rack top - which puts the nuts in a vertical position - and interfere with the bag sliding on - looks like I'm getting the exacto knife out later...
Old 08-19-15, 08:30 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by dsrider2016
Looks like you have a 15.5" or 17.5" frame? The bontrager struts on your bike angle up to the rack which would cant the nuts forward - maybe enough that they don't interfere with the bag. I have a 21" frame and the struts are parallel to the rack top - which puts the nuts in a vertical position - and interfere with the bag sliding on - looks like I'm getting the exacto knife out later...
I'm not home so can't go look right now but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Mine is a 17.5" frame, and yes the nuts angle forward slightly. I don't experience any interference when sliding the trunk on. It goes forward and clicks into place just fine.

An alternate solution is to use P-clamps to attach the tubes to the rack. Search Results for*black cable clamp*at The Home Depot
Old 08-20-15, 08:19 AM
Gorgin4325

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting an SKF BB for my 2015 DS 8.4 and was wondering if anyone could help me find out which one of these 4 I would need: https://www.compasscycle.com/product...ttom-brackets/

I would also need to know the threading and spindle length.

Unfortunately I could not find much info on Trek's website.

Any assistance would be highly appreciate.

Thanks,
G
Old 08-20-15, 08:49 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Gorgin4325
Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting an SKF BB for my 2015 DS 8.4 and was wondering if anyone could help me find out which one of these 4 I would need: https://www.compasscycle.com/product...ttom-brackets/

Thanks,
G
Those bottom brackets are crazy expensive and would easily be worth more than your crank.

If your current bottom bracket has failed on you already, you were probably just unlucky and got a dud one and will do much better with a replacement of the exact same model.

Alternatively, you could even replace your crank and change to a BSA style bottom bracket which will fit on your bike no problems at all, by buying something like this that also comes with the appropriate bottom bracket --> Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed Triple Chainset
Old 08-20-15, 09:00 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks,
G
Wow!!!! Those are expensive! I too have to replace my BB already. I've been told that this is becoming common place on my bike. But it's price is only like $30. I can get it cheaper on Amazon if I wanted to do it myself. Fortunately my LBS will put it in for free if I buy it from them.

Check these out and see if your size is available: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Square...bottom+bracket

By the way, I've found it's best to go the shop that you bought this bike and make them measure what the BB size is.
Old 08-20-15, 09:53 AM
Gorgin4325

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Those bottom brackets are crazy expensive and would easily be worth more than your crank.

If your current bottom bracket has failed on you already, you were probably just unlucky and got a dud one and will do much better with a replacement of the exact same model.

Alternatively, you could even replace your crank and change to a BSA style bottom bracket which will fit on your bike no problems at all, by buying something like this that also comes with the appropriate bottom bracket --> Shimano Deore M590 9 Speed Triple Chainset
Thank you for the info as always.

I've looked at different BB designs, and what I really like about the SKF is the oversized sealed bearings and various spindle options. I just want something bulletproof! The crank seems to be fine, but what do I know... I'll take it to my LBS and see what they say.

To be very honest, the other reason I wanted the SKF is because I'm seriously thinking about getting a Surly ECR and moving all my existing components from my DS over to it. So every upgrade I look at has to fit both bikes! lol Yeah, I'm just confused

Thanks again,
G
Old 08-20-15, 09:54 AM
Gorgin4325

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Wow!!!! Those are expensive! I too have to replace my BB already. I've been told that this is becoming common place on my bike. But it's price is only like $30. I can get it cheaper on Amazon if I wanted to do it myself. Fortunately my LBS will put it in for free if I buy it from them.

Check these out and see if your size is available: Amazon.com : Shimano UN55 BB Square Taper Bottom Bracket : Bottom Bike Brackets And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

By the way, I've found it's best to go the shop that you bought this bike and make them measure what the BB size is.
Thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it. I'm going to visit my LBS to get their opinion.

Thanks,
G
Old 08-20-15, 11:03 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Thank you for the info as always.

I've looked at different BB designs, and what I really like about the SKF is the oversized sealed bearings and various spindle options. I just want something bulletproof! The crank seems to be fine, but what do I know... I'll take it to my LBS and see what they say.

To be very honest, the other reason I wanted the SKF is because I'm seriously thinking about getting a Surly ECR and moving all my existing components from my DS over to it. So every upgrade I look at has to fit both bikes! lol Yeah, I'm just confused

Thanks again,
G
You know you could try the much more affordable Shimano square taper bottom bracket and if it proves to not last very long again, then you could move to the more expensive option, as it would suggest that the shimano square taper bb's don't have a long life.
Old 08-20-15, 01:53 PM
Gorgin4325

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That sounds great. I will try one for sure. At that price, I'd be happy with even 6 months use!

Thanks again.
Old 08-21-15, 01:21 AM
schmoab

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Clydes riding these off-road much? How do the Bontrager TLR wheels hold up? I think I'll spend a little more for the upgraded drivetrain on the 8.6--I like the black color the most. Depends what my lbs can get.

Last edited by schmoab; 08-23-15 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-24-15, 04:55 PM
intransit1217

Bikes: 2 Masi giramondo

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by schmoab
Any Clydes riding these off-road much? How do the Bontrager TLR wheels hold up? I think I'll spend a little more for the upgraded drivetrain on the 8.6--I like the black color the most. Depends what my lbs can get.
I'm 210 down from 250. My 2013 did not have the TLR wheels on it and I broke a few spokes. They warranteed the wheel and gave me a TLR which is a true double wall. As long as you aren't going after big air, you shouldn't have any problem. It's not a mountain bike, but a rutted and bumpy fire road is no problem.
Old 08-26-15, 07:06 AM
jase421

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a newbie and just found this thread. I am writing a review after riding over a 1000 miles on my 2014 8.4 DS Gary Fisher edition. It should be similar to the newer models.
I starting looking at replacing my 18 year old Trek 800 last summer. The bike had been nails for that entire time and was going with my son to school. I of course was focused on Trek, though my wife has a Giant(and loves it) and looked at those and a few others, though was partial to Trek. I actually was looking at the FX series but the guy at the Trek store pointed me to the 8.3 and 8.4 DS. I liked the 8.3, but noticed a big difference in braking and shifting in the 8.4 and absolutely loved. Also loved the fact that I could take off road (though not too off with the 700X38 tires) and it was much better on the road, where I do most of my riding, with the larger and narrower wheels.
I have ridden over 1000 miles since last August and have loved the ride. Until June it required no maintenance, not even a cable adjust. Just chain maintenance. However in June, while riding on a flat, paved trail, a spoke broke. I didn’t think much of it, called the Trek store and they said it would be 7 to 10 days to fix. I took to my LBS I have been going to for years (Giant dealer) and fixed same day. When I broke another spoke in August, I thought this is not right. Took to the Trek store and they gave me some hassle about need to verify the warranty (7-10 days)and If I wanted fixed it would be 5 days or pay an extra $22 to move up the line. Additionally they told me the wheels where not very good and I needed to upgrade components. I told the kid that’s not what you should be telling people that have purchased a $1000 bike (actually $900 with some add ons). I did say while I did not spend $3000 or more on a mountain or road bike, but this is still a lot of money and I don’t expect that. I took back to my LBS and he fixed again in a day. He did tell me it should not be happening and though he thought that type of bike should have a double walled rim (like the comparable Giant) it should not have happened with the type of riding I was doing.
I emailed Trek customer service and within a couple days got a call. The guy on the phone was great, said he himself loved this bike and agreed this should not happen. He had a new TLR wheel sent to my local Trek store and they installed in about an hour. The mechanic I got this time was very nice, and agreed this should not have happened on the AT650 wheel. He was glad Trek was taking care of and said I should expect no more issues with the TLR wheel.
Overall a great bike if you are an all-around rider. If you are going to just ride roads, or trails, probably a purpose built bike would be better. But if you like to mix things up this is a great bike. It has the clearance for larger tires so you can do more off road. Hydraulic brakes are fantastic, shifting has been great. I have read on some other blogs that the front forks don’t have enough travel, but I have not had an issue with it. Again if you are going to do heavy mountain biking, probably a purpose built bike is better. Also read another blog that did not like the tires. The 700X38 tires that came on the bike have a low knob, and you do get some tire whine on the road, but the fact the tires can go off road is what I like so I have no issue with that. However if ride on loose surfaces a lot, my want to get a wider tire. Only other con is the pedals. They are aluminum cage with a resin spindle. They started clicking after about 700 miles and require lube ever 2-3 rides. I have since switched them out. Outside of the issue I had locally, this has been a great bike and would highly recommend.
Old 08-28-15, 07:42 PM
bald

Bikes: 2016 Trek DS 8.6, 1994 Huffy Rocky Pass MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice review and much appreciated. I just ordered the Trek DS 8.6 today, and mostly plan to ride rail to trail's, but also hope to ride some fairly tame single trek. Hopefully, my spokes won't start popping, but is nice Trek took care of you after you took it further up the chain. Let us know if you have any more issues with it. Again, appreciate the review.
Old 08-28-15, 07:50 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by neptuneblue55
I have the 17.5 and I am going to either put adjustable stem or a riser stem
If you put on a riser stem, you will find a standard short reach stock stem will work. The steerer is never high enough on threadless steerer bikes so I find a riser stem is a necessity if the height of the bars are going to be where I want them.
Old 08-28-15, 10:16 PM
kgilby

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS 2015/2016 21"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought the 8.3 DS yesterday, have read most of this thread, and have a couple questions. While on my 1st ride at home, away from the street noise near the shop, I immediately noticed what I think is the front rotor scraping. This is the first bike with discs, so I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not. I'll get it back to the shop tomorrow if it's something that shouldn't be happening.
The other question has to do with frame size - the bike is a 21", I'm 5'11". Two different shop guys told me it fit better than the 19", even though I barely clear the bar - I almost have to stand on tip toes to get the 1-2" clearance I've always thought is needed. Both guys said that's fine. The short ride I took seemed comfortable enough, but it was only a few miles. Any reason to be concerned, other than the potential painful contact with the bar??
Old 08-28-15, 10:29 PM
mikeymike8.6

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know if the presta valve core are removable
on the rims of a 2015 trek ds 8.6? I am buying stans no tube sealant injector and a presta valve core tool. I just want to be prepared because rear tire goes down from 74 psi to 54 psi within a 2 week time frame riding 7 miles round trip to work.. Appreciate any info...
Old 08-29-15, 08:59 AM
Country23141

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Everyone, new to forum and just getting back into biking at 52 but I wanted to show off my Volt Green DS 8.3 I just picked up last night. Might not be the color for everyone but I like it. Only other choice was black and there are a lot of black bikes out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek DS 8.3.jpg (105.0 KB, 501 views)
Old 08-29-15, 10:53 AM
kgilby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I've been sold a 8.3 DS with a 'recall' fork. Just bought it Thursday, sold as a 2016. The serial number on the fork is KB141107.

According to the CPSC site, linked to in this thread, the affected forks begin with SN KB141101. My cynical self tells me this may be why the sales guys told me the 21" frame is a good fit. Either way, I'm going to the shop today and tell them they're going to swap out this bike for one that does not have a bad fork. No return for repair. REPLACE IT NOW. Am I wrong? Shouldn't the largest bike shop in Chicago know about this ongoing issue??
Attached Images
20982284235_0409d64277.jpg (49.7 KB, 296 views)
20794678088_e80414502f.jpg (47.7 KB, 300 views)

Last edited by kgilby; 08-29-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 12:21 PM
ProPerformer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kgilby
Bought the 8.3 DS yesterday, have read most of this thread, and have a couple questions. While on my 1st ride at home, away from the street noise near the shop, I immediately noticed what I think is the front rotor scraping. This is the first bike with discs, so I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not. I'll get it back to the shop tomorrow if it's something that shouldn't be happening.
The other question has to do with frame size - the bike is a 21", I'm 5'11". Two different shop guys told me it fit better than the 19", even though I barely clear the bar - I almost have to stand on tip toes to get the 1-2" clearance I've always thought is needed. Both guys said that's fine. The short ride I took seemed comfortable enough, but it was only a few miles. Any reason to be concerned, other than the potential painful contact with the bar??
Funny. I'm about 6', 34" inseam, and my sales guy pushed me towards the 21 too. (DS 8.3) It felt fine at first but then my neck and shoulders started to hurt as I was a little extended. I fixed the issue with a different stem but stand over is still right at my stuff. Wish I would have got the 19 instead...
Old 08-29-15, 02:38 PM
kgilby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE:
so I took the bike back to the shop and they had no problem resolving the issue. they said okay we'll just give you another bike. the problem is that EVERY bike they took out of the box had the exact same serial number. they took five bikes out of the boxes and all 5 had the same serial number as mine. I asked them if they would open one more box and they said sure. they opened it in front of me, pulled out the fork and it had NO serial number at all.

so now they're going to contact Trek on Monday to see if they can make any sense out of all of this. makes me begin to question the quality control of Trek. We'll see. ..

Last edited by kgilby; 08-29-15 at 04:21 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.