Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Which bike would be ideal?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 09-01-15, 11:39 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts

Needing some insight from you guys...

So, a couple of months ago I purchased a Giant Roam 2 thinking it would be ideal. The more and more I ride, it's appearing the Roam may be just a bit more off road than I need or want, or not enough on road that I need, depending how you look at it. While the suspension comes in handy every once in awhile, I find myself having it on lockout 95% of the time. I also find myself wanting to gravitate to drop down bars instead of the straight bar. The stock straight bar of my Roam also seems a bit too wide for my taste, compared to the previous hybrid I had. I'd also rather have around 28 to 32 tires instead of the 40's.

I ride 90% of the time on greenways which are paved and primarily smooth but have lots of rough (and sometimes very slick) wooden bridges and occasionally beat up asphalt with teeth-jaring humps, holes, pavement changes, etc... While I started out cycling again for fun with my young son, touring, going long distances, excerise and stamina ...my own self-challenge lately is not getting passed by any of the speedy roadies on the 40 mile trek I usually take 3 or 4 times a week on my favorite greenway. I hate getting passed! Needless to say, this gets kinda tough sometimes. Every now and again it turns into an all-out race after being passed and passing them back happens several times! While I'm in pretty decent shape now, I feel the Roam is holding me back somewhat and I need a bike with more speed potential.

I really like the Giant brand, but am also intrigued with Specialized. For some reason, Trek and Cannondale just doesn't appeal to me. I'm getting more and more into considering a bike such as the Anyroad or TCX SLR (a bit high for my budget though).

If I keep the Roam very much longer, are there any modifications or upgrades I should consider? Or, should I definitely look at getting rid of it and moving on? If so, which bikes would be ideal based on the info you have?

Your advice would be much appreciated!
Old 09-01-15, 11:52 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
On your Roam, buy some Schwalbe Kojak 35 c slicks. They roll fast for a tire that is not too wide and not too narrow.

You can look at Bikes Direct Omni Strada gravel road/adventure bikes. There should be one in your budget. It would be good for commuting/touring/off road that doesn't involve technical single track.

Giant offers the Anyroad. A 29er version is the ToughRoad SLR.
Old 09-01-15, 02:04 PM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Needing some insight from you guys...

I ride 90% of the time on greenways which are paved and primarily smooth but have lots of rough (and sometimes very slick) wooden bridges and occasionally beat up asphalt with teeth-jaring humps, holes, pavement changes, etc...
Wow! Several thoughts/questions:
1. Your description of where you ride sounds like a front suspension bike would come in handy
2. Where is this 40 mile greenway? Just curious as I am a greenway rider as well.
3. "Racing" on a greenway? Are there not walkers and joggers? I know from experience that they do not take kindly to bikes going all out and will report such activity to " the authorities" in which case bikes might get banned. don't know the situation where you are...just a thought.
Old 09-01-15, 02:16 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
You're lucky, there is now a plethora of choices for you at any price level in the style you are shopping.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-01-15, 02:35 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Originally Posted by swoodjr1
Wow! Several thoughts/questions:
1. Your description of where you ride sounds like a front suspension bike would come in handy
2. Where is this 40 mile greenway? Just curious as I am a greenway rider as well.
3. "Racing" on a greenway? Are there not walkers and joggers? I know from experience that they do not take kindly to bikes going all out and will report such activity to " the authorities" in which case bikes might get banned. don't know the situation where you are...just a thought.
The suspension does come in handy a bit, but I'm locked out the majority of time. I can definitely feel less efficiency when not locked out.

Technically, these are actually two different greenways that are joined by a pool and skateboard park. From one end of the first, to the opposite end of the second one is 16 miles. So there and back, coupled with a 4 mile+ street ride to downtown and back from the first one, puts it over 40 miles for me.

An all-out race is a bit of an exaggeration, but it does get somewhat competitive between cyclists and their egos. Not to the point of being reckless or putting others in jeopardy though. Riders hate getting passed around here, especially the roadies when getting passed by a hybrid.
Old 09-01-15, 03:16 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The suspension does come in handy a bit, but I'm locked out the majority of time. I can definitely feel less efficiency when not locked out.

Technically, these are actually two different greenways that are joined by a pool and skateboard park. From one end of the first, to the opposite end of the second one is 16 miles. So there and back, coupled with a 4 mile+ street ride to downtown and back from the first one, puts it over 40 miles for me.

An all-out race is a bit of an exaggeration, but it does get somewhat competitive between cyclists and their egos. Not to the point of being reckless or putting others in jeopardy though. Riders hate getting passed around here, especially the roadies when getting passed by a hybrid.
Where exactly is 'here'?
Old 09-01-15, 03:36 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by avidone1
Where exactly is 'here'?
Nashville, TN

How do you like your Crosstrail Comp Disc?
Old 09-01-15, 07:43 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts

As long as whatever you purchase has gear indicators, you should be fine when engaging in Cat 6 "racing". Just remember to give those "roadies" 'the look'.
Old 09-01-15, 09:19 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by badger1
As long as whatever you purchase has gear indicators, you should be fine when engaging in Cat 6 "racing". Just remember to give those "roadies" 'the look'.
Haha... Touché.
Old 09-01-15, 10:07 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
FWIW, here in Northwest Arkansas one can ride from Bella Vista on the north end, to south Fayetteville and never leave the MUP. A distance of about 40 miles, with many with many side MUP's. Look up Razorback Greenway if you are interested. This also takes you through the grounds of the Crystal Bridges museum, one of the best and well funded in the country.

QT
Old 09-01-15, 10:38 PM
one4smoke

Originally Posted by quicktrigger
FWIW, here in Northwest Arkansas one can ride from Bella Vista on the north end, to south Fayetteville and never leave the MUP. A distance of about 40 miles, with many with many side MUP's. Look up Razorback Greenway if you are interested. This also takes you through the grounds of the Crystal Bridges museum, one of the best and well funded in the country.

QT
Checked it out! Like to ride it someday.