Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Specialized Alibi c

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Specialized Alibi c

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 02:56 PM
blowboat

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Alibi c

Is anyone familiar with the Specialized Alibi c? I'm in the process of trying to replace my old Trek Multi Trek (which I had planned on using to get into some light touring) that was stolen Thanksgiving). I have several questions in to people on Craigslist, but still waiting on responses. Money is a huge consideration as we have to replace the heating/cooling system in a house we have in the mountains that we need to sell...and my motorcycle has still not sold.

I'm not so much concerned with the gearing as that I can replace/adjust. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on how this frame might work as a light touring frame? The others I've inquired about are a Giant Regents Park and a Trek 850(?). Money/price is a big consideration...I can pick all of these up for under $200 which allows me to do some upgrading/replacing of parts. All but the Specialized appear to be ready to ride...whether or not they are set up the way I would like.

So, again, any thoughts on particularly the Specialized Alibi C as a light touring bike/frame?

Thanks!
Old 12-28-18, 07:11 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
The frame should make a good touring rig. Ditch the no flat tires, they are a real drag, man. The fit is more uprightish, meaning it is more upright than the typical touring bike, but not so upright like a cruiser bike. With flat bars and a lowered stem, or drop bars and a lowered stem, it could be OK for touring, certainly for commuting. Not sure how low the bars can go, and see that as the major obstacle with this frame.

Personally for touring of any type I'd rather have a lower handle bar position.
Old 12-28-18, 07:30 PM
blowboat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts, TiHabanero. It had already crossed my mind to put some flat bars on as well as switching out the tires.
Old 01-01-19, 03:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I wouldn't buy an Alibi or ride one even if they paid me. Worst ride ever. You can replace the entire wheelset but that is an expensive proposition and you are still left with a very cheap frame and components. The Sirrus Sport would be a much better option, with better more reliable components and proper tires. Don't buy a bike to "upgrade" buy a bike that has what you want from the get go. Upgrading can generally be quite expensive and the lowest end bikes aren't really worth much upgrade wise.

Certainly you can tour on anything but having something that is reliable and comfortable is best for long days in the saddle or just lots of riding in general.
Old 01-01-19, 04:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
No SBI dealer in the county , Local sells Trek
one of these ? pretty basic..

might have to change and add things.. willing to do so?
Old 01-01-19, 04:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Trekking bars were made for changing straight bars, keeping all the levers

Adding a variety of hand holds,,,
Old 01-01-19, 08:28 PM
blowboat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this time in life I am relegated to the used bike market...and also on the inexpensive end of that market. My hope is to find a decent bike that is rideable, which will allow me to get started and then upgrade it as needed/desired.

I am trying to replace an old Trek Multi Trek 700 that was stolen Thanksgiving. It was nothing special, but I had rebuilt it as a gravel bike and since oir move last year was working on outfitting it to get me into touring...until my financial situation changes and I can afford a new bike.

So, perfect or great is out the window at this time...and the used market with several hours drive is pretty slim.
Old 01-02-19, 01:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Just as long as you are going to completely overhaul that used bike so you know the parts are OK, before heading out on your tour , fine...

this time get a secure lock.. no cables (cuttable in a second) chain and U locks ..
Old 01-02-19, 01:53 PM
blowboat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fietsbob...you bet there will be a decent lock! Unfortunately, this bike was in my carport. I needed to do some bottom bracket work after our garage flooded in hurricane Florence...thought I would leave it out so i could work on it. Big mistake...my BIG mistake. Fortunately they took the bike they did and not my good mountain bike that was in front of it. Some lessons are learned the hard way!
Old 01-02-19, 02:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by blowboat
At this time in life I am relegated to the used bike market...and also on the inexpensive end of that market. My hope is to find a decent bike that is rideable, which will allow me to get started and then upgrade it as needed/desired.

I am trying to replace an old Trek Multi Trek 700 that was stolen Thanksgiving. It was nothing special, but I had rebuilt it as a gravel bike and since oir move last year was working on outfitting it to get me into touring...until my financial situation changes and I can afford a new bike.

So, perfect or great is out the window at this time...and the used market with several hours drive is pretty slim.
Inexpensive initially usually means EXPENSIVE in the long term. Again replacing parts right away or soon after can get quite expensive. Large bike manufacturers buy parts in large quantities so they get big discounts so that savings can be passed on to you the consumer. When you are just buying 1 derailleur vs 10k derailleurs the cost is much different. Save up some money and look at some different bikes it will save you long term and get you a better bike and especially if you buy new from say Specialized you get warranties like the lifetime frame warranty they offer to the original owner which does in fact work.