Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-16-19, 09:35 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Finally had a good ride at Worlds; fastest time up Sunset, which is the first time this season, feels good, and FTP++

What feels bad is I'm pretty sure my steerer tube is cracked, so I took it easy on the descents, and I'll probably be stuck on the trainer for a few days. I was getting a bit soft on the group rides, chatting, etc. Trainer rides are just me, my threshold, and power numbers, so I'm going to bury myself.

Down to 138, 10% bodyfat.

Oh yeah, my tires melted on the road today. Either it was because it was 107, but probably had more to do with fresh, hot tarmac.

Last edited by furiousferret; 07-16-19 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 09:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
A tale of two commutes.

Aiming for zone 1 (Seiler 3 zone model), 135 bpm, watts who knows because I don't know my FTP yet.

Morning averaged spot on 135 bpm, power too low to mention. Felt great.

Afternoon felt fine enough, but my HR was jacked. Just rolling out of the office I was already at 130. Couldn't get it below like 140 no matter what, even sitting at lights. Averaged 158 bpm or something. Power and RPE didn't match that HR at all. Not sure if it was heat, or stress of not great traffic, or having ridden already in the day. I was nose breathing, felt fine, my heart was just going crazy though.
Old 07-16-19, 10:26 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
A tale of two commutes.

Aiming for zone 1 (Seiler 3 zone model), 135 bpm, watts who knows because I don't know my FTP yet.

Morning averaged spot on 135 bpm, power too low to mention. Felt great.

Afternoon felt fine enough, but my HR was jacked. Just rolling out of the office I was already at 130. Couldn't get it below like 140 no matter what, even sitting at lights. Averaged 158 bpm or something. Power and RPE didn't match that HR at all. Not sure if it was heat, or stress of not great traffic, or having ridden already in the day. I was nose breathing, felt fine, my heart was just going crazy though.
I get this sometimes, for me it's often either lack of hydration or too much caffeine
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 07-16-19, 11:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Did some sweet spot 2x20’s and they were actually sweet.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-17-19, 06:42 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The road bike is still down for the count getting cables at the house. So, I took the Crockett for the first time ever for some full-speed work on the local cyclocross course.

I thought the "mountain bike" course for a past race looked fun, but didn't like how it used a big section of tarmac. So didn't do that one. I'm there to practice cross.

So, I pieced together a string of stuff that totaled about 1.25mi per lap. I couldn't do the barrier because it's still a public park overall and some people with kids were using the barriers as a park bench. I left them alone.

It had rained earlier, so it was a messy affair and a good trial by fire into riding a cross course. Back end came out a decent amount, too much tire pressure and not enough tire. I didn't feel bad riding a wet cross course because some of the paths need some traffic between events. I may drive there next time and trim back the bush that's hanging out onto part of the trail or ask a local group for some recommended trail maintenance I could do.

~13mph or so. Given I'm a noob and I chose a pretty slow day and a technical route, not terrible. The conditions made it really hard to get good speed into the straightaway sections. You'd slide out as there was a slick part right where the corner meets the straight.

It's cross, so gps is whatever. It took some finagling to create a private segment with start and end points that would generate good lap results. I just wanted to do that so I could go back and track my progress, try tire pressures, see how much faster it is when it's dry.......etc....

Within about 10secs of each lap at ~5min a lap. Consistent. Fastest lap was later in session. Looks like I strung together almost 30min non-stop riding once. It was really humid and pretty hot........not cross weather at all.

I'll go once per week maybe.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-17-19, 12:23 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Had to focus on the 3x8's at lunch mentally. I upped the power again to hit 300w now on those. Early this spring was at 270 to 280 on those.

I really want to fix the cables on the road bike to go on a fast ride. Use some of this. It's been a while. At least the 70mm stem on the cross bike solved all ill fit issues, money.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-17-19, 03:18 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
Freakin' smashed on the track last night and got major props. Road is done and on paper I'm taking it easy (not forcing it), but I have so much fitness this year I'm finding myself continuing to train hard just so I can be fast AF for our weekly track series!!! I guess it doesn't count as forcing it if I want to train!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-17-19, 08:45 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Finally back to where I was at for all efforts across the board pre injury. Only took 9 months!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 07-18-19, 09:56 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Upper body gym workout last night. I am staying with the lower rep routine. One of my gym buddies was doing kettlebell swings using the heaviest kettlebell coupled with a large rubber band he had secured to the kettlebell and anchored behind him. So as the kettlebell goes forward the resistance increases due to the rubber band...priceless.
Old 07-18-19, 11:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Got dropped on the Airport Ride tonight. Sorta thought I would given the crosswind. Still have a bit of work to do.
Old 07-19-19, 07:38 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Fighting this infection. Nothing Monday, gym tuesday, easy mtb wednesday, Course preview thursday. Today openers, tomorrow a 2man, 12 hr mtb relay. We aren't taking it seriously (team name :beers and gears), so I'm just gonna ride and try to master the course by the time we are trhough with the day.
Old 07-19-19, 02:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

A decent morning commute easy, and then an afternoon that became much harder than I meant.

Aimed for 90 minutes easy. Ended up being 105 minutes, with very easy power (like, average 95W) but very high heart rate and some high RPE. Heat index is about 108 or so. Didn't have enough bottles, no electrolyte at all.

Got my ass kicked. Oops.
Old 07-19-19, 10:12 PM
furiousferret

Failed my trainer workout tonight. It was 30/30's, which definitely isn't in my wheelhouse and the trainer was set to my outdoor FTP which made it too hard. I can probably do 10% more outside, so you add that to a Zone 7 interval and its a bad mix. So it had me doing 330, when in reality I should have probably have done 305.
Old 07-19-19, 11:01 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Ugh crazy work week and poor sleep kept me off the bike 4 days this week and then today I couldn’t quite muster the gumption to do an actual workout when I got on the bike. Gotta get myself doing some actual spicy riding sometime soon.

Tomorrow: road ride with a friend, I’ll try to get 30 min of intervals done early and then we’ll get a little climbing in. Sunday I’m torn between a short local not that appealing mtb ride with a friend vs a longer not local more appealing mtb ride with a group.

On the equipment front, finally after 4 years Mr H has buried my rear brake cable on the TT bike. It has been explained to me but I still don’t 100% understand why it was so difficult. My cockpit now looks totally hot though. It previously made me cringe.

And the second piece of equipment news is that my birthday is next week and I’m getting a dropper post for the mtb, it arrives Tuesday. I had one on the old mtb but it was a KLev that always seemed to need fixing. When I got the Spark, the light weight of the bike was such a revelation that I resisted adding a dropper to it. I’m also considering doing Rebecca’s Private Idaho (a hundred mile gravel ride next year) on the Spark. Since I won’t have the aero benefit of riding in the drops, I was wanting to keep the bike light. I was pulled in two directions, then saw my fitter last week who assured me that pro mtb-ers are huge weight weenies and pretty much all have droppers nowadays.

So tl/dr I’m getting a Rockshox Reverb AXS, which is an electronic wireless dropper. No cabling means I can take it off to put the Spark in a pure cross country or gravel config or leave it on for actual mountain biking. Swapping out seat posts will be a 3 min thing vs pulling the bike apart.

There was some hope it would arrive the shop today, but it didn’t which means I won’t have it until Tuesday. The unfortunate thing about that is I’ve committed to a 100 mile road ride next weekend (heaven help me, I’m in no shape to be doing that right now, thankfully my friend is fairly slow) so I won’t get a real mtb ride in on it before I head up to Mammoth for my Trek Dirt Series clinic Aug 2.

And along those lines, @TMonk and @Ttoc6 or anyone else who mountain bikes, I’ve reserved an enduro bike to demo but now I’m wondering do I just ride my own bike with the dropper and get some time in on that in the presence of the instructors? The enduro bike is I think maybe 10-12 pounds heavier than the Spark, and we’ll be riding at altitude which will make the whole thing more fatiguing. But I’ve never tried an enduro bike and this would be a great venue to demo one. I’m torn. The format is two days of instruction- morning skills and afternoon ride with instructors. There’s a lot of stopping and starting and talking though, it wasn’t physically grueling by any means when I went last year. I’m not sure I’ll even get the demo, I signed up for it pretty early but there’s only one 29er version in my size, so maybe it will be a moot point anyway. What say you? Demo the enduro or ride the Spark? The Spark is a very confidence-inspiring bike for me, so there’s that too.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 07-20-19, 11:44 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Throat started to hurt on Wednesday evening after Twilights. Progressed in to full blown cold on Friday, still feeling like crap. :/ So much for doing final tune ups for San Rafael.
Old 07-20-19, 01:48 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Ugh crazy work week and poor sleep kept me off the bike 4 days this week and then today I couldn’t quite muster the gumption to do an actual workout when I got on the bike. Gotta get myself doing some actual spicy riding sometime soon.

Tomorrow: road ride with a friend, I’ll try to get 30 min of intervals done early and then we’ll get a little climbing in. Sunday I’m torn between a short local not that appealing mtb ride with a friend vs a longer not local more appealing mtb ride with a group.

On the equipment front, finally after 4 years Mr H has buried my rear brake cable on the TT bike. It has been explained to me but I still don’t 100% understand why it was so difficult. My cockpit now looks totally hot though. It previously made me cringe.

And the second piece of equipment news is that my birthday is next week and I’m getting a dropper post for the mtb, it arrives Tuesday. I had one on the old mtb but it was a KLev that always seemed to need fixing. When I got the Spark, the light weight of the bike was such a revelation that I resisted adding a dropper to it. I’m also considering doing Rebecca’s Private Idaho (a hundred mile gravel ride next year) on the Spark. Since I won’t have the aero benefit of riding in the drops, I was wanting to keep the bike light. I was pulled in two directions, then saw my fitter last week who assured me that pro mtb-ers are huge weight weenies and pretty much all have droppers nowadays.

So tl/dr I’m getting a Rockshox Reverb AXS, which is an electronic wireless dropper. No cabling means I can take it off to put the Spark in a pure cross country or gravel config or leave it on for actual mountain biking. Swapping out seat posts will be a 3 min thing vs pulling the bike apart.

There was some hope it would arrive the shop today, but it didn’t which means I won’t have it until Tuesday. The unfortunate thing about that is I’ve committed to a 100 mile road ride next weekend (heaven help me, I’m in no shape to be doing that right now, thankfully my friend is fairly slow) so I won’t get a real mtb ride in on it before I head up to Mammoth for my Trek Dirt Series clinic Aug 2.

And along those lines, @TMonk and @Ttoc6 or anyone else who mountain bikes, I’ve reserved an enduro bike to demo but now I’m wondering do I just ride my own bike with the dropper and get some time in on that in the presence of the instructors? The enduro bike is I think maybe 10-12 pounds heavier than the Spark, and we’ll be riding at altitude which will make the whole thing more fatiguing. But I’ve never tried an enduro bike and this would be a great venue to demo one. I’m torn. The format is two days of instruction- morning skills and afternoon ride with instructors. There’s a lot of stopping and starting and talking though, it wasn’t physically grueling by any means when I went last year. I’m not sure I’ll even get the demo, I signed up for it pretty early but there’s only one 29er version in my size, so maybe it will be a moot point anyway. What say you? Demo the enduro or ride the Spark? The Spark is a very confidence-inspiring bike for me, so there’s that too.
that screams a Di2 upgrade, by mounting MTB brake levers on the drops and adding sprinter shifters or climbing switch

I've been thinking about this myself.
Old 07-20-19, 07:25 PM
caloso

River Ride today. Didn’t set the world on fire, but felt much more comfortable in the pack than I have in awhile. Still don’t think I have the fitness for San Rafael, though.
Old 07-21-19, 04:17 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Got out on my road bike yesterday for the second time in the past two months or so. The saddle felt strangely high. I noticed it a couple weeks ago, but yesterday, I actually remembered to check the measurements. Turns out it was about 3cm higher than my trainer bike. Went back to my fit files, and sure enough the road bike was correct. The trainer bike saddle has been slowly slipping, but because I spend so little time out on the road, I didn't notice.

3cm is a big difference too.
Old 07-21-19, 08:24 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Got out on my road bike yesterday for the second time in the past two months or so. The saddle felt strangely high. I noticed it a couple weeks ago, but yesterday, I actually remembered to check the measurements. Turns out it was about 3cm higher than my trainer bike. Went back to my fit files, and sure enough the road bike was correct. The trainer bike saddle has been slowly slipping, but because I spend so little time out on the road, I didn't notice.

Ugh. I hate when stuff like that happens. You are not alone.
Old 07-21-19, 08:44 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro

3cm is a huge difference.

About 90 minutes for me this morning. One 20 minute effort in the middle. Really need to do an actual FTP test so I know where I'm training and what my actual TSS and as a result TSB and stuff is.

Starting from nothing I'm having a hard time even knowing where to set it because I don't know where to try pacing a test even. I probably need to try and do an indoor 20 minute and try to pace it as best I can.
Old 07-21-19, 12:08 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Fun little group ride sprint yesterday.
Old 07-21-19, 03:51 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

Gravel question: Mountain bikes make great gravel bikes. Especially the spark with the rear lockout at your hands. Throw some wide, fast gravel tires on there and have a ball. I rode my Scalpel for Crusher last year and the only thing I didn't like was lack of hand positions (I used TOGS, but still only having two places to put my hands suckkked after 5 hours) and lack of gearing. 30x10 was not enough for the road sections. A bigger chain ring would be huge. IDK if there are any major descents on the RPI route, but having a dropper would be nice. I did not have one on my mtb until September of this year, but they're awesome even for gravel riding. Lets you get into a "suepr tuck" esque position withough having sit on the toptube. Comfy and fast!

Bike choice: Here's my opinion. If you're going for the fun event style week, ride the enduro. If you're going for the training and learning, ride the spark. There's something to be said for being ultra familiar with your personal bike, and the spark is more than capable unless you're doing big jumps or drops.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 07-21-19, 06:34 PM
furiousferret

Went up to Forest Falls today; paced it well but the 2nd half is 6% steady with about rollers between 10% and 17% which really isn't fun. Got it in just over an hour which puts me on the first page of Strava and the fastest 45+ (I have to take the victories where I can get them, no matter how petty). I can hopefully knock off another 3 minutes and I believe that puts me in the top 10.

Moving time: 4:03:45 (89%)
Distance: 61.3mi
Climbing: 5856ft
Work: 2025kJ

So I'm becoming a decent climber; how to leverage that in a district full of crits I don't know.

Last edited by furiousferret; 07-21-19 at 06:38 PM.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-22-19, 06:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by furiousferret
Failed my trainer workout tonight. It was 30/30's, which definitely isn't in my wheelhouse and the trainer was set to my outdoor FTP which made it too hard. I can probably do 10% more outside, so you add that to a Zone 7 interval and its a bad mix. So it had me doing 330, when in reality I should have probably have done 305.
What was your rest period power and how many reps per set?

When I think of 30/30, I usually do them without hardly looking at the meter and rest at like 100w. I just pour in what I can. I only do 5 reps per set.

Just curious as you've posted some good power in here before and that seemed a little low for you for 30/30's.

Anywho, still doing my 3x3's workouts and such. Last week did it twice and di the 3x8's once.

Sunday, it was hot for my little ride around town. Even in morning. I suffered the consequences of both starting not totally re-hydrated from sleeping and going too hard the first 1/3 of the ride. Pretty sure all my Z5/6 (of six zones) power was in the first 20min of the ride. It was a fast ride for the terrain, but I had nothing left for the second half.

I was trying to equal the weeknight A-ride speed on the same route. Leaving from the house adds a few feet of elevation and obstables, but I almost did it.

Goes to prove no matter how strong you think you are the benefit of sucking wheel to recover versus having to push a tempo in between hills.

First ride on the new aero road bar with internal cabling and cables partly in the stem. Love all the hand positions on that thing. Haven't tried IAB yet. A little bumpy and windy. Also, they didn't feel that narrow at 40cm down from 44cm.
Old 07-22-19, 08:28 AM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
What was your rest period power and how many reps per set?

When I think of 30/30, I usually do them without hardly looking at the meter and rest at like 100w. I just pour in what I can. I only do 5 reps per set.

Just curious as you've posted some good power in here before and that seemed a little low for you for 30/30's.

Anywho, still doing my 3x3's workouts and such. Last week did it twice and di the 3x8's once.

Sunday, it was hot for my little ride around town. Even in morning. I suffered the consequences of both starting not totally re-hydrated from sleeping and going too hard the first 1/3 of the ride. Pretty sure all my Z5/6 (of six zones) power was in the first 20min of the ride. It was a fast ride for the terrain, but I had nothing left for the second half.

I was trying to equal the weeknight A-ride speed on the same route. Leaving from the house adds a few feet of elevation and obstables, but I almost did it.

Goes to prove no matter how strong you think you are the benefit of sucking wheel to recover versus having to push a tempo in between hills.

First ride on the new aero road bar with internal cabling and cables partly in the stem. Love all the hand positions on that thing. Haven't tried IAB yet. A little bumpy and windy. Also, they didn't feel that narrow at 40cm down from 44cm.
330/215; My power under 2 minutes is atrocious. Despite trying to work on it that's never been a strong point; not sure if it ever will be. I'm also only 136 lbs, so anything I do average or below average is going to look horrendous.
Likes For furiousferret:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.