Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brake light for 3 wheel electric bike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-19, 11:24 AM
battradio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi ,

I'm building a 3 wheel electric bike with an in hub motor 1 kw motor as the front driven wheel ,also using a Brainpower 36 volt 800 watt motor controller model LSD 149 ..

I have wired up motor cycle 12 volt led tail lights to the back and front motor cycle led signal lights in the front and have all four turn signals working along with the tail lights/headlight off a 12 volt gel cell battery .

Can anyone suggest the best way of connecting the stop lights , a micro switch linked to the hub rear brake hub would be one way but would be susceptible to water damage , a magnetic reed switch
with a magnet on the rear brake hubs linkage to activate the switch but concerned of running 100 ma through the reed switch . Could use a bosh style automotive relay operated by the reed switch .

How does the high power brake wire work on the brainpower controller

Mark
Old 08-18-19, 12:51 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
On a pedal assist system there is usually a lag between the time one stops pedaling and when the controller senses this and shuts of the motor. The typical controller is designed to cut off the motor when the brakes are applied. The brake levers have an integral switch that signals the controller which immediately cuts power to the motor. I assume this switch is normally open as the system will work without the special brake levers. You might be able to create a circuit that would sense the switch operation without compromising the controller.
Old 08-18-19, 02:12 PM
battradio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
On a pedal assist system there is usually a lag between the time one stops pedaling and when the controller senses this and shuts of the motor. The typical controller is designed to cut off the motor when the brakes are applied. The brake levers have an integral switch that signals the controller which immediately cuts power to the motor. I assume this switch is normally open as the system will work without the special brake levers. You might be able to create a circuit that would sense the switch operation without compromising the controller.
Thank you for making me think about it more , this optocoupler relay board will work , much better than anything i could build . item number /183601876403

12V 1 Channel Module With Optocoupler Isolation High and Low'Level Trigger Relay on eBay can't put a link until i have 10 posts
Old 08-18-19, 03:40 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Looks like a slick possible solution. You may have to play with it a bit, but no matter if the brake lever circuit goes high or low on brake application, it can be configured to trigger the relay with no interaction with the normal controller functions. Let us know how it works out.

Last edited by MNebiker; 08-18-19 at 03:43 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-18-19, 05:07 PM
battradio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can use a pull up ( or down ) resistor and use the hand brake lever switch to get the optocoupler to operate when the switch grounds the input of the circuit .