Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless

Old 08-08-19, 12:26 PM
Skaughtto
Commuter

Bikes: Domane 2.0, CrossRip LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The pair I bought via eBay for $115 arrived yesterday. I rushed to the LBS for some sealant and a Stan's NoTubes injector, then dusted off the tubeless accessories that came with my Bontrager Paradigm Comp TLR wheels to get the install going. It took me an eternity to get a tire on the front rim! "Tight" would be an understatement - it turned into a two person, three tire lever job. Hopefully there's never a situation where I have an issue on the road, because I doubt I'll be able to get the tire off, put a tube in and put it back together again.

I was able to use a floor pump to inflate the tire without sealant, but air did leak from the valve stem. The leak stopped after adding sealant, bouncing and spinning the wheel around for a little while. It held air overnight and got me to work this morning.

At this point I feel like there's no going back to tubes simply because it would be such a pain. Tonight I'll work on the rear wheel and tomorrow I'll give my fingers a rest. Has anyone else put these on Bontrager TLR wheels?

Update: Rear tire mounting went much easier. Now I'm trying to correct slight wobbles in the front.

Last edited by Skaughtto; 08-08-19 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-09-19, 06:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
As an FYI, Sigma currently has GP5000 TLs at $51/ea - https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Con...less-Tyre/KJ6X

Shipping isn't free unless you spend more than $200, but even with shipping this is a good price.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-09-19, 09:24 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I've now got about 1,500 miles on the tires with no problems. I babied them for the first couple hundred miles due to my experience with the previous set (and some GP4000SIIs) getting damaged, avoiding a couple of several roads which have some sharp gravel and which are prone to road debris. I don't worry about it now. I've also ridden a few miles of dirt. So far so good, which probably means I'll have an issue tomorrow.

-Matt
Old 08-12-19, 08:28 PM
Money D

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
As an FYI, Sigma currently has GP5000 TLs at $51/ea - https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Con...less-Tyre/KJ6X

Shipping isn't free unless you spend more than $200, but even with shipping this is a good price.
Thanks, bought a 28 and 32!
Old 08-12-19, 08:46 PM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Skaughtto
The pair I bought via eBay for $115 arrived yesterday. I rushed to the LBS for some sealant and a Stan's NoTubes injector, then dusted off the tubeless accessories that came with my Bontrager Paradigm Comp TLR wheels to get the install going. It took me an eternity to get a tire on the front rim! "Tight" would be an understatement - it turned into a two person, three tire lever job. Hopefully there's never a situation where I have an issue on the road, because I doubt I'll be able to get the tire off, put a tube in and put it back together again.

I was able to use a floor pump to inflate the tire without sealant, but air did leak from the valve stem. The leak stopped after adding sealant, bouncing and spinning the wheel around for a little while. It held air overnight and got me to work this morning.

At this point I feel like there's no going back to tubes simply because it would be such a pain. Tonight I'll work on the rear wheel and tomorrow I'll give my fingers a rest. Has anyone else put these on Bontrager TLR wheels?

Update: Rear tire mounting went much easier. Now I'm trying to correct slight wobbles in the front.
I had exactly the same difficulty as you when mounting these tyres on my DT Swiss P1800 32 Spline wheelsets. Used 2 tire lever and still couldn't it. I gave up and just asked my LBS to install them for me.

I'm also worried that I'd have problem re-installing the tyres on the road. I have also seen a couple of videos about this issue on Youtube.

On my first flat, I will just call my wife to pick me up , and I will replace them with the tubes version.

Richard
Old 08-12-19, 09:13 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by richard.susanto
I had exactly the same difficulty as you when mounting these tyres on my DT Swiss P1800 32 Spline wheelsets. Used 2 tire lever and still couldn't it. I gave up and just asked my LBS to install them for me.

I'm also worried that I'd have problem re-installing the tyres on the road. I have also seen a couple of videos about this issue on Youtube.

On my first flat, I will just call my wife to pick me up , and I will replace them with the tubes version.

Richard
Dont worry about it and don’t go back to tubes! Just kidding use what’s best for you.

i will say that although I had a hard time putting these tires on initially, they do stretch and I’ve had no issues putting them back on when I last removed them to change out valves.
Old 08-13-19, 01:22 PM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CasualInSoCal
So do these Grand Prix 5000 Tubeless tires work with the Mavic UST system? Or are they different?
They work great, a little tight struggle to mount. But inflated like a charm and ride great.

I put 2500miles or so on the Yksion Pro tires that came with the Kysrium Pro UST set. Really impressed and happy by them. So much so that got the same Yksion Elevenstorm for the Shimano 6700 TLR wheels on my wife's bike.

Previously really liked GP4000's... so once I saw 5000TL's were available and I was due for tires. I gave them a try. Been great, I figure I have about 500mi on them. Not riding my fast roadie as much as my allroad this season *shrug* so gonna be a minute before I wear them out.

I want to try Vittoria next. I have a set of 4C G2.0 MTB tires from my local shop recently and they are amazing for traction. And I hear nothing but good about the road variant as well.

I'd say all 3 tires are good. Across Mavic UST and Shimano TLR.

Last edited by Menel; 08-13-19 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-13-19, 02:01 PM
Princess_Allez

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Is anyone getting the dreaded sidewall tear on these tires?
Old 08-14-19, 06:18 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by Princess_Allez
Nope! Other than throwing cords which I’ve mentioned in the past and seems to have now subsided
Old 08-14-19, 07:35 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
One of my riding buddies took a small sidewall tear that wouldn't quite seal up with Stan's (I've told him to go Orange and that Stan's is a crapshoot, at best, on road tires, but I digress...) and has decided to run a tube in that tire for the rest of its life.
Old 08-21-19, 04:13 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by WhyFi
One of my riding buddies took a small sidewall tear that wouldn't quite seal up with Stan's (I've told him to go Orange and that Stan's is a crapshoot, at best, on road tires, but I digress...) and has decided to run a tube in that tire for the rest of its life.
Doesn't that defeat the point of having a TL tire I gave up on Continental after having a large sidewall tear on the gp4ks2. I enjoyed them for the minimal amount of miles they provided, but not enough to tempt fate again. I haven't had any experience with TL sealant outside of Mavic's stuff, but it seems to plug up goat heads really well. It also strikes me as odd that their sealant is sold out nearly everywhere, and the origin of manufacture is some random nation.
Old 08-22-19, 01:17 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I doubt Mavic's sealant is "sold out" anywhere. Nobody stocks it because there are several more popular options. I don't know of anyone intentionally trying to buy Mavic sealant.
Old 08-22-19, 05:27 PM
Princess_Allez

Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I doubt Mavic's sealant is "sold out" anywhere. Nobody stocks it because there are several more popular options. I don't know of anyone intentionally trying to buy Mavic sealant.
That makes sense. I trust that Mavic designs their products to work well with one another. If I ever feel that their sealant isn't working to my expectations, I'll venture out.
Old 09-03-19, 03:28 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
That makes sense. I trust that Mavic designs their products to work well with one another. If I ever feel that their sealant isn't working to my expectations, I'll venture out.
I have used Orange and was relatively happy with it and it would seal large holes rapidly. The local bike shop told me to switch to Finish Line because it would last a whole lot longer. I was unaware that the other would dry up in the tire after several months.

I tried the Finish Line sealant and it works every bit as good as the Orange. Plus it is latex fee and ammonia free and is non-toxic though I don't think it tastes as good as a beer.
Old 09-04-19, 06:26 PM
robbyville

It’s funny, I *****ed like crazy elsewhere in this thread. The tires (one of the earlier batches) were throwing cords like crazy. The sealant would dry out and I’d have a flat ( maybe not the tire’s fault but no issues with others). But still, here I am with 2700 plus miles (and woke up to a flat, added some Sealant and now all good again), and these things are still going strong.

maybe I was wrong is all I’m sayin...
Old 09-04-19, 09:08 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
I now want to know what you ****ed like crazy...
Old 09-05-19, 07:17 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by CarloM
I now want to know what you ****ed like crazy...
Yeah surprised it was edited! B**ch*d like crazy. Synonym for “complained” lol
Old 09-12-19, 03:57 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by RShantz
I had my first ride on a set yesterday. They felt really smooth. Rolled nicely on the descents.
They have something that might be considered a negative. The traction is so good that the bike moves around on the road a bit due to changes in the road surface picking up more traction here than there.
Old 09-12-19, 04:05 PM
RiceAWay

Originally Posted by Menel
They work great, a little tight struggle to mount. But inflated like a charm and ride great.

I put 2500miles or so on the Yksion Pro tires that came with the Kysrium Pro UST set. Really impressed and happy by them. So much so that got the same Yksion Elevenstorm for the Shimano 6700 TLR wheels on my wife's bike.

Previously really liked GP4000's... so once I saw 5000TL's were available and I was due for tires. I gave them a try. Been great, I figure I have about 500mi on them. Not riding my fast roadie as much as my allroad this season *shrug* so gonna be a minute before I wear them out.

I want to try Vittoria next. I have a set of 4C G2.0 MTB tires from my local shop recently and they are amazing for traction. And I hear nothing but good about the road variant as well.

I'd say all 3 tires are good. Across Mavic UST and Shimano TLR.
The Vittoria Corsa Race? tubeless tires are nice. They have a lot of directional stability and don't walk around on the road or in crosswinds like the GP5000TLR's and they corner well but not as well as the Corsa G+ clinchers. Why that would be I have no idea.
Old 07-31-20, 07:50 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I just mounted a pair on a set of Nox Carbon TL read rims and they weren't holding air. Well the stems are crap, so I ordered new, but I did a water test and the sidewalls are leaking? WTF? Now I see the posts with sidewall tears? Guess Sealant isn't really optional is it?

Oh and yes they were a HUGE pain to get on. Two levers and a lot of swearing.
Old 08-01-20, 12:24 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by SCTinkering
I just mounted a pair on a set of Nox Carbon TL read rims and they weren't holding air. Well the stems are crap, so I ordered new, but I did a water test and the sidewalls are leaking? WTF? Now I see the posts with sidewall tears? Guess Sealant isn't really optional is it?
If air is noticeably escaping (as in you can feel the draft with your lips and maybe hear it) around the bead between the sidewall and rim, then deflate and reinflate to make sure the bead is fully seated in that section. Do this BEFORE adding sealant or the sealant can hide the poorly seated bead by sealing up the leak. And, no, initial sealant isn't optional for the GP5000's. You won't get a proper seal without it. Once they're sealed up you don't need it if you don't want, but I'm not sure why you wouldn't since the whole idea of tubeless is for the tires not to go flat on a puncture.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider: