Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Winter transition

Old 09-27-19, 09:28 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
the colder it gets and the shorter the days I find myself moving over to running more and more...mentally a 10 mile run seems easier and takes less time...its not it must be the winter biking blahs getting a hold of me....anybody else feel this way in the winter
Yup. This describes my situation pretty good. Weather is turning cold and rainy. Hard to get motivated to get out and go for a ride. Heck I don't like riding in the rain in the summer, nevermind the winter. Running it is for me too. Although I recently purchased a mountain bike, so maybe I'll get more riding in this season.
Old 09-27-19, 10:47 AM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Yup. This describes my situation pretty good. Weather is turning cold and rainy. Hard to get motivated to get out and go for a ride. Heck I don't like riding in the rain in the summer, nevermind the winter. Running it is for me too. Although I recently purchased a mountain bike, so maybe I'll get more riding in this season.
Finally somebody gets it
Old 09-27-19, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
We are heading into the best riding weather of the year here. I love October! I can enjoy the fall colors and ride in cooler (but not yet cold) temperatures. I do have to shift the time of my rides earlier in the day to get back before dark.

November is fine too with some cool-weather gear. I won't ride with snow or ice on the ground or if it's truly cold out where you don't start to warm up after about 10 minutes of pedaling.

I've never been a runner. This winter, I'm planning to shift my activities indoors and (gasp!) go to the gym. Or sit on my couch and knit and get fat.
Alas, November is when I begin to orbit Planet Fitness.
Old 09-27-19, 11:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
It's still pretty warm here in the Midwest, but has cooled down a bit. I know it won't be long, though, before I'll have to give up my morning rides and instead spin on my trainer indoors.
Old 09-27-19, 11:24 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
The answer is a smart trainer used with either BKool, Zwift or another training platform that allows you to ride your bicycle inside.

I use BKool because it allows me to import my rides from Strava so I can ride them again later, and even race myself on those rides using the real ride outside as a ghost.

I use Zwift because I can ride many different routes that have great graphics, and because Zwift usually has more people riding.

I live where it gets too hot in the summer (100 plus) here in the Oregon desert, often too windy to ride (30mph sustained), and in the winter it gets too cold (weeks of temperatures in the teens).
Old 09-27-19, 11:42 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Alas, November is when I begin to orbit Planet Fitness.
Well, I still ride outside in early November. I try to enjoy those rides because I never know if it will be the last of the year. By middle to late November, the bike heads to the garage.

We do have a cheap stationary bike my husband bought. I hate it. I wonder if I would like my real bike on a trainer better?
Old 09-27-19, 11:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
Well, I still ride outside in early November. I try to enjoy those rides because I never know if it will be the last of the year. By middle to late November, the bike heads to the garage.

We do have a cheap stationary bike my husband bought. I hate it. I wonder if I would like my real bike on a trainer better?
It's usually late November when I pack it in on the bike.

Indoor cycling is anathema to me because it combines the boredom of stationary activity with the relatively low calorie burning per hour of cycling. Because I can't use the treadmill because of my foot issues, I use the elliptical, which is a much more full-body workout than cycling. Watching movies on my tablet relieves a bit of the tedium.
Old 09-27-19, 11:55 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
It's still 90 degrees here, so no worries yet. But when it does start to cool off, I'll still ride. I bought a trainer last winter and never even took it out of the box, I'd rather bundle up and ride outside than ride in the garage. I also run, year round, but riding is def more fun, even if running is more tolerable in the cold lol Only time I won't ride is if there's ice, then I go trail running.
Old 09-27-19, 11:58 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Bike commuter here. I welcome the change of seasons. Fall and early Winter are the best seasons in the Washington DC region. The air dries out and crisps up. Really nice for riding.

I start breaking out the lights again in early September for the ride in. My early work hours permit me to ride without lights on the homeward commute. I enjoy the change to longer sleeve clothing. Not so much the heavier gloves and such during what we have as Winter here. It's pretty wimpy, really.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 09-27-19, 01:21 PM
aspalmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
A Michigander here. The Winter transition is going from riding outside, to Zwifting inside during the winter.

I can deal with mid to low 40's, and then it's inside. No reason to freeze with an option like Zwift.
Old 09-27-19, 04:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I love winter biking and I am looking forward to another exciting riding season.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-27-19, 04:43 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
It's still 90 degrees here, so no worries yet. But when it does start to cool off, I'll still ride. I bought a trainer last winter and never even took it out of the box, I'd rather bundle up and ride outside than ride in the garage. I also run, year round, but riding is def more fun, even if running is more tolerable in the cold lol Only time I won't ride is if there's ice, then I go trail running.
yes I agree totally
Old 09-27-19, 06:15 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I'm going to try and be a four season commuter.
Likes For alloo:
Old 09-27-19, 07:13 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Got soaked today. Torrential downpour lasted just a few minutes, I'd have 'sat it out' in an underpass if only I'd known.

My coat's seen better days, but it still did well. Drenched thighs and feet, though.

Certainly something to take from today's experience, given that it's only gonna get colder over the coming few months..
Old 09-27-19, 07:28 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Why complain about Winter when Fall just began???
Old 09-27-19, 07:55 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
its not boredom but seasonal winter transition to running...because of cold and lack of daylight.....

But ... it's spring. Daylight hours are getting longer!
Likes For Machka:
Old 09-27-19, 08:18 PM
Jeff of Vt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You must have mild winters. I don't consider it "running" when the snow is up past my knees. It's far too slow. In order to do that for 10 miles, I'd need a lot of time on my hands. The other option is to run in the roads and if I'm going to do that, I'll need cleated shoes. Then there's the headlights set up to contend with.

It's far easier to just use the bike where all that gear(studded tires, lights, fenders, etc) can be mounted and ready to go.

If you really want a winter workout, you would cross country ski like I do. But again, it sounds like you don't experience real winters like we do here so that's unlikely to be an option. At that point, why even fret about winter or even call it that?
Old 09-27-19, 08:31 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Back in my days of Manitoba winters, cross country skiing was my preferred cross-training sport.
Old 09-28-19, 04:29 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I haven't used my XC skis for over 12 years because I find winter biking to be a lot more interesting. There is nothing more exciting than riding a MTB on snow covered and frozen trails.
Old 09-28-19, 06:28 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeff of Vt
You must have mild winters. I don't consider it "running" when the snow is up past my knees. It's far too slow. In order to do that for 10 miles, I'd need a lot of time on my hands. The other option is to run in the roads and if I'm going to do that, I'll need cleated shoes. Then there's the headlights set up to contend with.

It's far easier to just use the bike where all that gear(studded tires, lights, fenders, etc) can be mounted and ready to go.

If you really want a winter workout, you would cross country ski like I do. But again, it sounds like you don't experience real winters like we do here so that's unlikely to be an option. At that point, why even fret about winter or even call it that?
cross country skiing is just like down hill skiing except all the fun is removed
Old 09-29-19, 02:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

cross country skiing is just like down hill skiing except all the fun is removed
No.
Old 09-29-19, 07:07 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
All riding, no running for me. Within 10 minutes of starting a run, the knee pain is too intense to continue.
Old 09-29-19, 10:09 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I've never had any interest in any sport other than biking. So either biking or nothing (Ha!) And ever since I moved to this dogforsaken state my past love of winter has utterly evaporated. Two years my kids graduate and I leave here never to return. Whether the fam' comes with me or not, I am done with this state.
Old 09-29-19, 10:18 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by MNHarv
I've never had any interest in any sport other than biking. So either biking or nothing (Ha!) And ever since I moved to this dogforsaken state my past love of winter has utterly evaporated. Two years my kids graduate and I leave here never to return. Whether the fam' comes with me or not, I am done with this state.
Why? What's wrong with it?
Old 09-29-19, 11:04 AM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Never felt at home here. Learned to hate the never ending winters the very first year. I was told it was a normal length winter. That was the sign I should have left that first year.

Most of us have been in places where the immediate "vibe" compelled us to leave at the earliest opportunity. Well, some years back I finally admitted to myself that I didn't fit in this state's culture or community. I simply don't belong. I never built the kinds of connections I had with people in other states and places. The only rational move is to return to one of the places I flourished. And when you have standing offers for jobs/careers in those places, it's merely a matter of getting your ducks in a row and prepare for your future. Two years is a long time but it won't be that long.

Sometimes, no matter whatcha do, you don't fit in.

Last edited by shrtdstncrdr; 09-29-19 at 11:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.