Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Ladies who are losing weight or have lost weight.... real talk?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 09-10-19, 04:41 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Hello,

I haven't been riding much lately for a lot of reasons. So I started walking. Like, a ridiculous amount. And I have started losing some weight.

This past week while I've been out walking, I was cat-called two different times. That's not a thing that's ever really happened to me in my life. I don't know how to feel about it. In one sense, I kind of liked it because it made me feel "normal". Like, this is a normal thing that non-overweight ladies with average bodies have to deal with. But, I also didn't like it, because well obviously having men look at me as meat to be eaten is very gross. I'm just an ordinary person who seeks to live a quiet life, I've never much been into romance (at least in part) because I've always been overweight, I never thought of myself physically attractive to men.

I guess there's nothing I can do about it if men shout or honk. I'm not out there dressed to kill, I'm in a tee-shirt and gym pants, and after walking 5 to 10 miles I feel pretty gross...sweaty and schleppy and whatnot. Is that what some men like? I'm 35 years old.... and there are several universities near my home including an Ivy League school where the young, pretty girls go out dressed in fashion so ghastly they seem like they're clearly trying to bait men, on the weekends it's like a meat market. I guess I'm getting old enough now that those undergrads seem like children to me, and it makes me sad that they clearly want the men to lust after their bodies. Like, ladies, give yourselves more credit... and also some men really struggle with lust, it's not kind to bait them.

I'm just saying all this to point out that.... this is not what I'm doing. I'm just out there walking for my health, and I don't have a 19 year old body anymore regardless of my weight. Is this what life is going to be like when I'm thinner.... like, men shouting at me sometimes or making comments at my body when I'm walking sometimes is the new normal? I guess I can get used to it, but I don't really love it so far.

Men, feel free to answer I suppose but please be kind towards my naivete. I know it seems silly but this is new life-territory for me.

Jessica
Old 09-10-19, 09:04 AM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
As a man I can appreciate the female form, and I realize that what the media portrays as attractive really isn't realistic. Women are not meant to look like Barbie dolls.

While I don't cat call I do notice, and to me a person riding a bike, walking, running or doing other fitness activities is very attractive as it is obvious that they are trying to maintain or increase a level of health and fitness.

I wouldn't call myself attractive at 6'3" and 365 pounds, but I do get the occasional comment that someone thinks I am attractive.

I say good for you for walking and getting fit. Keep it up.
Old 09-10-19, 09:48 AM
Aahzz

Bikes: '17 Trek FX2, '19 Trek FX 3 Disc

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 214 Times in 87 Posts
As a man, I've never understood cat calling. Do those guys really think they'll get something from it? No women I know seem to enjoy it....
Likes For Aahzz:
Old 09-10-19, 10:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,317 Times in 2,702 Posts
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-10-19, 11:38 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by College3.0
Hello,

I haven't been riding much lately for a lot of reasons. So I started walking. Like, a ridiculous amount. And I have started losing some weight.

This past week while I've been out walking, I was cat-called two different times. That's not a thing that's ever really happened to me in my life. I don't know how to feel about it. In one sense, I kind of liked it because it made me feel "normal". Like, this is a normal thing that non-overweight ladies with average bodies have to deal with. But, I also didn't like it, because well obviously having men look at me as meat to be eaten is very gross. I'm just an ordinary person who seeks to live a quiet life, I've never much been into romance (at least in part) because I've always been overweight, I never thought of myself physically attractive to men.

I guess there's nothing I can do about it if men shout or honk. I'm not out there dressed to kill, I'm in a tee-shirt and gym pants, and after walking 5 to 10 miles I feel pretty gross...sweaty and schleppy and whatnot. Is that what some men like? I'm 35 years old.... and there are several universities near my home including an Ivy League school where the young, pretty girls go out dressed in fashion so ghastly they seem like they're clearly trying to bait men, on the weekends it's like a meat market. I guess I'm getting old enough now that those undergrads seem like children to me, and it makes me sad that they clearly want the men to lust after their bodies. Like, ladies, give yourselves more credit... and also some men really struggle with lust, it's not kind to bait them.

I'm just saying all this to point out that.... this is not what I'm doing. I'm just out there walking for my health, and I don't have a 19 year old body anymore regardless of my weight. Is this what life is going to be like when I'm thinner.... like, men shouting at me sometimes or making comments at my body when I'm walking sometimes is the new normal? I guess I can get used to it, but I don't really love it so far.

Men, feel free to answer I suppose but please be kind towards my naivete. I know it seems silly but this is new life-territory for me.

Jessica
I'll be kind...........this is best left to Dear Abby NOT bikeforums.

I can't believe you would consider giving any weight to advice about this in a cycling forum.
Old 09-10-19, 11:44 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Originally Posted by tunavic
I'll be kind...........this is best left to Dear Abby NOT bikeforums.

I can't believe you would consider giving any weight to advice about this in a cycling forum.
As far as I was aware, this is also a forum about losing weight. If my post is inappropriate, you are welcome to report it to a moderator. And your comment is passive aggresive, not kind. I am capable of deciding for myself to whose advice I wish to give weight.
Likes For Bikeforumuser0019:
Old 09-10-19, 11:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

You could more appropriately post this in the Women's forum, if in fact....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-10-19, 11:51 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You could more appropriately post this in the Women's forum, if in fact....
If you feel my post is inappropriate, please feel free to report it to a moderator. I asked for access to the Women's forum but never got a response.

Thank you for those of you who posted helpful feedback.
Old 09-10-19, 04:30 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeforumuser0019
If you feel my post is inappropriate, please feel free to report it to a moderator. I asked for access to the Women's forum but never got a response.

Thank you for those of you who posted helpful feedback.
I've been a member on Bike Forums for years and have not been granted access to the fabled women's forum. This is a forum that has been open and welcoming of those who are battling weight issues, male or female.

Good for you for working on your fitness and losing weight if that is what you are striving for.

As for being cat called....I have yet to be cat called...tho I have been told to "pedal fat boy"

I don't feel your post is out of place exactly tho title of thread is misleading and the issue of societal issues such as misogyny and sexism are not suited to this forum for variety of reasons? I could see thread devolving quickly and being locked.
Old 09-10-19, 05:23 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
No more cat calls in So CA. Men want to , but there are too many cameras and cell phones to get you license number of your work truck, then they will call your boss and you get terminated.
Old 09-10-19, 08:59 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm in the process of losing weight, down from 378 passing through 246 and looking for 200. I'm 56 and 6'1". I will add married for 36 years, and have a 29 year old daughter, 31 year old son.

I'm a man, I look and appreciate. But I haven't cat called or made inappropriate comments since I was a teen. I can appreciate what you are discussing and hope it doesn't keep you from getting out.
Old 09-12-19, 06:50 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
No more cat calls in So CA. Men want to , but there are too many cameras and cell phones to get you license number of your work truck, then they will call your boss and you get terminated.
A real shame it takes all this to stop it.
Old 09-12-19, 01:53 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikeforumuser0019

Jessica
1) Congrats on losing some weight and feeling better about your self
2) Sorry about the catcalls - seems to be a subset of men who enjoy this less, probably, for the potential to create a relationship and more to assert (or create in their own mind) some form of dominance. It's pathetic but all too common and really should end. Though the same could be said about a lot of antisocial behavior that women more often are the victims of.
Old 09-12-19, 02:04 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I was at the tail end of a 65 mile training ride when some young men in a new Mustang were saying stuff directed at me. Not cat calling more fat shaming. I ignored their antics as best I could. I can ride a bike 100+ miles ... could they? Maybe. Maybe not. But I can lose weight...they may always be jerks.
Likes For Beachgrad05:
Old 09-12-19, 04:12 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
As a man, I've never understood cat calling. Do those guys really think they'll get something from it? No women I know seem to enjoy it....
Agree, and also, how can anybody be that bold?
Old 09-23-19, 10:19 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
As a man I can appreciate the female form, and I realize that what the media portrays as attractive really isn't realistic. Women are not meant to look like Barbie dolls.

While I don't cat call I do notice, and to me a person riding a bike, walking, running or doing other fitness activities is very attractive as it is obvious that they are trying to maintain or increase a level of health and fitness.

I wouldn't call myself attractive at 6'3" and 365 pounds, but I do get the occasional comment that someone thinks I am attractive.

I say good for you for walking and getting fit. Keep it up.
I'll echo his statements as I agree with pretty much everything he said.
Old 09-24-19, 08:12 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Aahzz
They probably got their ideas of male/female interaction from p*rn, so they probably think they don't have anything to lose by trying. I've never really understood it myself. I mean, I can appreciate an attractive woman without having to act like a troglodyte in front of them. But maybe I respect them better because I grew up with two sisters.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 09-25-19, 12:22 PM
SpinClassSara

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-25-19, 01:02 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
They probably got their ideas of male/female interaction from p*rn, so they probably think they don't have anything to lose by trying. I've never really understood it myself. I mean, I can appreciate an attractive woman without having to act like a troglodyte in front of them. But maybe I respect them better because I grew up with two sisters.
Look at some of the cartoons we grew up with. Wolves that whistled at women. Hellooooo Nurse, many like that... In the 70s, commercials were showing men whistling at, oggling women in their short skirts and such... Advertising drives society and societal behaviors... generational and cultural up bringing and behaviors take a long time to die down...
Old 09-25-19, 01:14 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Been awhile, maybe OP has been admitted to the Women's section
Old 09-25-19, 05:45 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Been awhile, maybe OP has been admitted to the Women's section
Miracles could happen but I'm still waiting on my acceptance into that forum. Honestly I don' think it really exists.
Old 09-25-19, 06:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

You may have to send DNA
Old 09-25-19, 07:08 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Miracles could happen but I'm still waiting on my acceptance into that forum. Honestly I don' think it really exists.

There's a women's forum?! Darnit. I must hang out in the C&V group too much to be considered a female.
Old 09-29-19, 05:52 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I’m still trying to find the Men only forum...
Old 09-29-19, 08:56 AM
coopman

Bikes: Specialized Roll Sport Low Entry and Bianchi Super Pista

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Walk while listening to headphones and you won't even hear the idiots.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.