Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Torque Wrenches - X-Tools / Venzo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Torque Wrenches - X-Tools / Venzo

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 12:49 PM
jfranci3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
This is simply not true. The Silca Ti Torque does not need to be reset or zeroed out after every use.

https://silca.cc/products/updated-t-...-ti-torque-kit
It is simply true.
It is zero in it's resting position.
Old 10-07-19, 01:03 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
I had the venzo at one point and while it worked great, it was a real pain in the butt to see the dials at certain points
Yes. It's also hard to set it up to specs that are between two numbers (IE, my stem bolts requires 5.5nm & the dials are 0,2,4,6,8,etc.). You need to stop the red marker at 3/4 between the 4 and the 6 which is a little complicated.
Old 10-07-19, 01:05 PM
eduskator

Originally Posted by jfranci3
It is simply true.
Exactly. lol
Old 10-07-19, 01:50 PM
ab_antiquo
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Exactly. lol
Yeah, the point that you missed is that you don't need to do anything with the Ti Torque to keep them accurate, as you claimed must be done with all torque wrenches.

It also has markings for common in between torque values like 4.5nm and 5.5nm so things aren't "complicated," to use your wording.
Old 10-07-19, 02:52 PM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jfranci3
It is simply true.
Incorrect. Some torque wrenches require setting them to a low setting and not zero. When I worked at Boeing all torque wrenches required a non use setting in the low range but not zero. I suppose those engineer types that determined that have no clue.
Old 10-08-19, 06:52 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by FeltF2Tarmac
Incorrect. Some torque wrenches require setting them to a low setting and not zero. When I worked at Boeing all torque wrenches required a non use setting in the low range but not zero. I suppose those engineer types that determined that have no clue.
Most of them in fact. Low or zero...as long as you unwind it after use. I always put mines at the lowest possible setting after every use to remove tension in the spring. It's just better in the long run & to keep accuracy.

Accuracy is important, especially in the aerospace industry.
Old 10-08-19, 08:08 AM
FeltF2Tarmac
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A torque wrench in regular use doesn’t need to be wound back. If you expect to store a torque wrench for more than a few weeks, always wind it down to the lowest scale setting (never to zero).

Storing a fully loaded torque wrench can result in a set in the spring, weakening the spring over time. But if you completely offload the spring to the zero setting, other components within the wrench may move a little. And in the world of torque, a little is a lot. Reapplying spring compression will shift orientation of these components, affecting accuracy.

This is from one of several web sites that specifically say never zero the wrench. FYI, if I turned in a torque wrench set to zero at Boeing, it probably would start a line check on every airplane it was used on going back to last recal. Personally, I owned a Snap On torque wrench that did not require any adjustment prior to storage, it required recalibration a lot. More so than any wrench I’ve ever used.
Old 10-08-19, 08:25 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by FeltF2Tarmac
A torque wrench in regular use doesn’t need to be wound back. If you expect to store a torque wrench for more than a few weeks, always wind it down to the lowest scale setting (never to zero).

Storing a fully loaded torque wrench can result in a set in the spring, weakening the spring over time. But if you completely offload the spring to the zero setting, other components within the wrench may move a little. And in the world of torque, a little is a lot. Reapplying spring compression will shift orientation of these components, affecting accuracy.

This is from one of several web sites that specifically say never zero the wrench. FYI, if I turned in a torque wrench set to zero at Boeing, it probably would start a line check on every airplane it was used on going back to last recal. Personally, I owned a Snap On torque wrench that did not require any adjustment prior to storage, it required recalibration a lot. More so than any wrench I’ve ever used.
Indeed. I can only imagine the consequences...