Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek 7.2 at Beach?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek 7.2 at Beach?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-15, 08:09 AM
Sunset_Va

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 7.2 at Beach?

Just purchased my Trek 7.2 Disc last week, and going to Ocracoke Island,NC next week.

I am really wanting to take my new Trek to get in some riding around the island, don't intend or wouldn't even consider riding surf side, but part of me is concerned about rust starting.

And we all know, once it gets started...I am sure rinsing it off each day, and storing it inside at nights would help prevent salt caused rust.

Take an older bike or Trek? Or am I being silly?
Old 08-02-15, 09:08 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Wax it all up, and ride it! MHO....... well, maybe two coats of wax, and then do it again when you get home.

There's an even better product for protection, if you want to take the time. Rejex - hard to find, can't be beat. You won't believe how slippery the paint feels after 2 or 3 coats!

Clean it really well, polish it, then Rejex. Any dirt or water spots will be under the protection, so clean and dry well first!
Old 08-03-15, 12:23 AM
squatchout

Bikes: '15 Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're talking about rust from the ocean air, I wouldn't be too concerned. Take it and enjoy it. Wash it when you get home after your trip and you should be good to go.
Old 08-03-15, 02:23 PM
Chamaco

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live in Puerto Rico and most of my rides are along the coast and haven't seen any rust yet, just a little surface rust in the rear cassette which is gone with a rag and some WD-40.
Old 08-04-15, 08:15 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
spent a week with my 18 year old bike on the NC coast a few months ago. No signs of rust to this day and I did nothing but rinse it off once when we returned home.
Old 08-04-15, 08:48 AM
Rsmith11

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh definitely ride that bad boy, you didn't pay $500 to have it sit while you ride something else!
Old 08-04-15, 11:26 AM
Sunset_Va

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, , its in the bike rack ready to leave in the a AM...thanks for all the advice!

Gonna do a lot of riding!
Old 08-11-15, 06:24 AM
Sunset_Va

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunset_Va
Well, , its in the bike rack ready to leave in the a AM...thanks for all the advice!

Gonna do a lot of riding!
Happy to report no rust, had a great time and rode , rode , rode.

Ocracoke is bikes, golf carts, and pedestrians that don't know where to walk in traffic.

I did rinse off the bike at the hotel each evening, wiped down, and stored it in the hotel room overnight.
Old 08-11-15, 08:42 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by squatchout
If you're talking about rust from the ocean air, I wouldn't be too concerned. Take it and enjoy it. Wash it when you get home after your trip and you should be good to go.
Have you been to the outer banks? I lived in Ocracoke and Hatteras for 2.5 years. After 2 days of leaving my bikes outside I could see all the steel parts begin to rust. It is the most corrosive environment I have ever lived.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-11-15, 08:43 PM
downtube

I did rinse off the bike at the hotel each evening, wiped down, and stored it in the hotel room overnight.
Good call keeping it indoors over night!

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 08-12-15, 05:28 AM
Sunset_Va

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
Good call keeping it indoors over night!

Thanks,
Yan
It was very hot the time I was there, with super high humidity levels, almost unbearable.

Every morning, I would ride up the bike path north toward the beach, and there was a ocean mist very visible, much like light fog inland.

I am sure it was saline, i also washed the bike off with soap and water after I got home.

There were about 1,000 bikes on the island, mostly rental bikes. The new ones were okay, but some of the well used ones were quite rusty. I think I was the only person wearing a helmet.
Old 08-12-15, 06:38 AM
downtube

It was very hot the time I was there, with super high humidity levels, almost unbearable.

Every morning, I would ride up the bike path north toward the beach, and there was a ocean mist very visible, much like light fog inland.

I am sure it was saline, i also washed the bike off with soap and water after I got home.

There were about 1,000 bikes on the island, mostly rental bikes. The new ones were okay, but some of the well used ones were quite rusty. I think I was the only person wearing a helmet.
I changed a few things about my riding style on island...one never wear a helmet, and two I only rode in flip flops. Many locals ride barefoot, I tried that and couldn't handle it.

Next trip take a 4x4 and ride on the sand in Hatteras Village, there is an off road highway system at the end of the island.....its huge. I think they close large parts during the season, so check the online road closure system.

Also the point in Buxton is special....it is the place where the Arctic north current hits the Gulf stream. You will find tons of fish ( and fisherman ), and dolphins, birds feeding on the fish. And a natural barrier in the ocean. The waves from the south crash into the northern waves way off shore ( truly a special sight ). On a windy way it is really special!

Thanks
Yan
Old 08-12-15, 04:54 PM
Sunset_Va

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Years ago, my family went to Southern Shores, and rambled around many of the places you mentioned, also up at Duck and Corolla. After seeing all the expansion on OBX, anything north of Manteo would not interest me in terms of vacation time. Ocracoke was some place I had always wanted to go, even though I had been nearby over the years.

I talked with the motel owner about rental bikes, which they had. He told me every 3 years he goes mainland, and buys new bikes, and sells the old ones locally for $20. Of course, the bikes are not high end bikes, and I can understand the reasoning of locals not owning high end bikes, and not having a dedicated bike shop on the island.

I have strayed from the original topic, and didn't even take a picture of my bike at Ocracoke!
Perhaps I should visit Tangier Island.

Regardless of where I am, I am wearing a helmet. Having a previous head concussion taught me to wear one, even if others don't, thats okay, because its their risk, not mine.