Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant ToughRoad

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant ToughRoad

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-18, 11:44 PM
Glennie

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR 1 2019

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Looking forward to seeing some up close shots of that silver Toughroad when you can! I've noticed websites for many manufactures don't do the bike paint justice. Unless it's flat black and well, it doesn't look much different
Here are a few quick phone shot stories of the toughroad slr 1 2019 for you travbikeman. Nothing special. I was going to drag out the Nikon but still haven’t got around to it.

Out and about on one of my first rides

Out and about on one of my first rides

Showing you the brushed effect of the paintwork

Another shot of the brushed effect of the paintwork
Old 10-20-18, 04:37 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennie

Here are a few quick phone shot stories of the toughroad slr 1 2019 for you travbikeman. Nothing special. I was going to drag out the Nikon but still haven’t got around to it.
​​​​​​Is the rear rack really supposed to be attached to the inside of the seatstays? What's that hole on the outer part for then?
Old 10-20-18, 07:00 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennie

Paint looks nice.

I usually like to set the racks level to limit objects shifting around. This will also bring the rack out more and create more clearance.
Old 10-20-18, 08:04 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Looks great! I love the paint.
Old 10-20-18, 06:56 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
That is a great paint job! You really can't tell how nice that is on Giant's web site. Giant really needs to do close up shots of their paint jobs like this.
Old 10-21-18, 03:30 AM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
​​​​​​Is the rear rack really supposed to be attached to the inside of the seatstays? What's that hole on the outer part for then?
The rack is the Giant supplied model and it’s less than excellent design execution has me scratching my head. The rack is designed to fasten to the mudguard (fender) to the rear wheel securing bolt hole instead of the two normal threaded holes on the outside of the seat swat stays. So if you want to fit a mudguard (fender) to the rear wheel it doesn’t appear to have enough clearance below the rack front point mounting arms. A bit shortsighted.

Old 10-21-18, 03:34 AM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Paint looks nice.

I usually like to set the racks level to limit objects shifting around. This will also bring the rack out more and create more clearance.
I looked at this too with a critical eye and wondered if the top of the rack should be horizontal instead of sloping forward. I think I will adjust it. Thanks for the comment Dorkdisk
Old 10-21-18, 03:36 AM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments on the paint job, Hokiefyd and Travbikeman.
Old 10-22-18, 05:30 AM
hokiefyd 

Would you be able to post some close-up pictures of the rubber/silicone chainstay protector? Giant's 2018 catalog shows this on the Roam also but, when I bought my Roam, my bike shop couldn't find this protector in Giant's parts database anywhere. He even called his Giant rep and they didn't have a record of it. Maybe I need to ask for one from a 2019 Toughroad. I would appreciate any detailed photos you could take and post of this part of the bike. Thank you!
Old 10-22-18, 01:03 PM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Would you be able to post some close-up pictures of the rubber/silicone chainstay protector? Giant's 2018 catalog shows this on the Roam also but, when I bought my Roam, my bike shop couldn't find this protector in Giant's parts database anywhere. He even called his Giant rep and they didn't have a record of it. Maybe I need to ask for one from a 2019 Toughroad. I would appreciate any detailed photos you could take and post of this part of the bike. Thank you!
I will try and get to that today for you. I have an early start this morning with some outside painting at my daughters house, trying to beat the heat and hope to get home early so will try for then.
Old 10-24-18, 03:03 AM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello Hokiefyd, apologies for not getting the photo to you earlier. My excuse is that I got a bit busy and I forgot! So here is a photo for you. Notice the little kink towards the middle
rear along the protector? I don’t know whether it is meant to be there or not.
Old 10-24-18, 06:30 PM
hokiefyd 

I do see it, yes. So is this a rubber or neoprene type material that wraps around the stay and clips and interlocks with itself, or is it more a hard plastic? The stay looks exactly like that on my Roam, with the two cable loops brazed to the bottom of the stay for the rear shift cable housing. Thanks for the picture!
Old 10-25-18, 12:07 AM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do see it, yes. So is this a rubber or neoprene type material that wraps around the stay and clips and interlocks with itself, or is it more a hard plastic? The stay looks exactly like that on my Roam, with the two cable loops brazed to the bottom of the stay for the rear shift cable housing. Thanks for the picture!
It is a rubber or neoprene. It is one piece with the bottom cut (hard to explain) the bottom is held in place by the cable running through loops of both sides of the protector. Too hard to take a reasonable picture but if seen in the flesh it is easy to see how it fastens.

Last edited by Glennie; 10-25-18 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Put in wrong information
Old 10-25-18, 06:05 AM
hokiefyd 

Oh, I see -- it has a "track" along the bottom through which the cable housing runs, to secure it to the frame? That's pretty clever. Thanks again.
Old 10-25-18, 11:58 PM
fabian.milea

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, I took my Thoughroad to a XC race last weekend and I had a lot of fun. The course was mostly on fireroads and not to technical. Also, this summer I went on some more serious mountain rocky track and I'm thinking of transforming my hybrid into an MTB, has some one mounted a suspension fork on the Thoughroad?
Old 10-26-18, 02:58 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fabian.milea
Hi, I took my Thoughroad to a XC race last weekend and I had a lot of fun. The course was mostly on fireroads and not to technical. Also, this summer I went on some more serious mountain rocky track and I'm thinking of transforming my hybrid into an MTB, has some one mounted a suspension fork on the Thoughroad?
If you're doing fire roads leave it as a hard tail. It's going to be a lot lighter.
Old 10-26-18, 03:16 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by fabian.milea
You 'could', but to do so would be ill-advised. The Toughroad's geometry is not suspension-corrected. It is designed around the rigid fork with which it comes stock. That has two consequences.

First, putting on a suspension fork will change the geometry and the bike's handling -- for the worse. The front end will be 'jacked up', affecting everything else.
Second, putting on a suspension fork will almost certainly void any frame warranty.

You'd do much better to use the bike the way it is, perhaps with the widest/best tires you can find that fit, or replace it with or add a mountainbike with suspension, if that is what you want.
Old 11-01-18, 03:26 PM
fabian.milea

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies, I've decided to keep the TR as a city/trekking/road bike, exactly the purpose it was build for, a hybrid. I will use it for commute and longer trips with panniers and stuff, it is a perfect bike for this. I have used the bike for more than it should normally be used... mountain-biking... but now I got a hardtail for that so I will not abuse the TR anymore...
Old 11-01-18, 08:31 PM
humansoul

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
love the colour scheme on the 2019!
Old 11-02-18, 03:26 AM
bumper
Rollin' road block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's mine riding the old logging trails in Wales, I still love riding it. I was after a rigid mtb but couldn't find one in budget, this was a good alternative. I've toured/bike packed on it but mostly use it for rides like the pics.

It's 1x10 with a 42t cassette and still mostly stock apart from bars/saddle. I'm happy with the wheels and tyres. In fact Ive bought a few more tyres for stock, they feel like my wtb nanos. I can see it giving years of mini adventures.

Old 11-02-18, 08:56 AM
travbikeman

Originally Posted by bumper
Here's mine riding the old logging trails in Wales, I still love riding it. I was after a rigid mtb but couldn't find one in budget, this was a good alternative. I've toured/bike packed on it but mostly use it for rides like the pics.

It's 1x10 with a 42t cassette and still mostly stock apart from bars/saddle. I'm happy with the wheels and tyres. In fact Ive bought a few more tyres for stock, they feel like my wtb nanos. I can see it giving years of mini adventures.

That is a nice handlebar! Have you noticed that your hands or fingers don't go numb with these?
Old 11-02-18, 08:57 AM
travbikeman

Oh and by the way, those are some great looking views!
Old 11-02-18, 10:02 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What an amazing place to ride! Good looking tr too...
Old 11-02-18, 10:20 AM
bumper
Rollin' road block

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
Oh and by the way, those are some great looking views!
Thanks, & yes I find the bars are comfier than flats or risers. My hands/wrists are in a more natural position using these, I'm only using a basic foam grip too. These were made by Alpkit but are no longer available, They're a Jones bar lookalike, that's why they were pulled from sale. This is my last copy of this bar, the others have gone with sold bikes. I've had Jones bars before and they were a little wider but I'd buy those again without hesitation. They feel so comfy for me, even riding rigid on rocky trails my wrists don't hurt at all.

Originally Posted by andrei_r
What an amazing place to ride! Good looking tr too...
Thanks Andrei, was hoping for snow but it warmed up a couple of degrees and rained all night instead. Still had a good view at the peak.
Old 11-02-18, 09:33 PM
humansoul

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, & yes I find the bars are comfier than flats or risers. My hands/wrists are in a more natural position using these, I'm only using a basic foam grip too. These were made by Alpkit but are no longer available, They're a Jones bar lookalike, that's why they were pulled from sale. This is my last copy of this bar, the others have gone with sold bikes. I've had Jones bars before and they were a little wider but I'd buy those again without hesitation. They feel so comfy for me, even riding rigid on rocky trails my wrists don't hurt at all.

Thanks Andrei, was hoping for snow but it warmed up a couple of degrees and rained all night instead. Still had a good view at the peak.
Intrigued by the bars...I've seen them before on other bikes posted here...but didn't pay much attention until now. So in a case of a new bike, you would just opt for Jones bars or are there copycats like the Alpkit still around?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.