Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on chest vs arm band heart rate monitor

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-19, 08:13 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts

I'm shopping for an HRM. I'd prefer an arm band-type for comfort and convenience but many articles indicate the chest worn ones are better. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts, especially someone who's used both.
Old 01-01-19, 08:51 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
The chest worn are much more accurate and reliable. My only issue is riding in moderate temps without high humidity. Until I start to sweat, static from the jersey material cause false readings like it goes to max. One solution I’ve read is soak the jersey with water before starting but I’ve never tried that.

The arm is definately more convenient but it can work intermittently or just stop suddenly until I readjust it.

Old 01-01-19, 12:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have only used chest type ones, I was unaware of a arm band one. But chest ones are trouble free in my opinion, that is what I would suggest, have used them for years. I usually put the wrist watch receiver on my handlebar.
Old 01-01-19, 01:44 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I recently started using a Bryton chest HRM. works perfectly just a few seconds after putting on - no sweat needed. the arm types are not accurate by a wide margin, you may as well guess the HR.

I was afraid the chest strap would bother me, but it doesn't. Only downside is you have to put it on before workout while an arm type (in a watch etc.) is on all the time.

One negative is that my phone now calculates calories more accurately when riding and now i have lower numbers calories burned. :-)
Old 01-01-19, 02:05 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
the arm types are not accurate by a wide margin, you may as well guess the HR.
This certainly isn't the case.

To say that an arm band is no better than a guess simply isn't true.

The Scosche Rhythm, Polar OH1 and Wahoo Tickr Fit are all reasonably accurate, especially the Wahoo. In some conditions arm sensors are more accurate than chest sensors.

A review of the Wahoo product is at https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/...th-review.html for those who wish to educate themselves.

-Tim-
Old 01-01-19, 06:02 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This certainly isn't the case.

To say that an arm band is no better than a guess simply isn't true.

The Scosche Rhythm, Polar OH1 and Wahoo Tickr Fit are all reasonably accurate, especially the Wahoo. In some conditions arm sensors are more accurate than chest sensors.

A review of the Wahoo product is at https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/...th-review.html for those who wish to educate themselves.

-Tim-
Exactly. In point of fact, DCRainmaker sort of considers the Scosche as the gold standard in heart rate monitors.

When you position the sensor over the inside of your upper arm, you are sitting right over the brachial artery which is the large artery that supplies your entire arm. Absolutely no problem picking up heart rate from there and you have the benefit of not having the strap around your chest.

I used a Scosche for years with great results. I upgraded last year to the Wahoo, not because the Scosche didn't work anymore, but for the 30 hr battery life. Both work equally well.

J.
Old 01-01-19, 06:21 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Exactly. In point of fact, DCRainmaker sort of considers the Scosche as the gold standard in heart rate monitors.

When you position the sensor over the inside of your upper arm, you are sitting right over the brachial artery which is the large artery that supplies your entire arm. Absolutely no problem picking up heart rate from there and you have the benefit of not having the strap around your chest.

I used a Scosche for years with great results. I upgraded last year to the Wahoo, not because the Scosche didn't work anymore, but for the 30 hr battery life. Both work equally well.

J.
The ones I meant are usually worn like a watch on the wrist (or integrated in a watch, like an iWatch). I could see wearing them on the upper arm being a bother when flexing muscles?
Old 01-01-19, 07:40 PM
JohnJ80

The ones I meant are usually worn like a watch on the wrist (or integrated in a watch, like an iWatch). I could see wearing them on the upper arm being a bother when flexing muscles?
you don’t even know they are there.

You can also wear them on your forearm and probably even your wrist although I never tried that. I would expect them to work just fine there.

They’re also based on an optical sensor so you don’t have the conductivity issues that you have with chest straps.
Old 01-01-19, 08:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
In some conditions arm sensors are more accurate than chest sensors.
-Tim-
I think I might have to shave my chest hairs to get my chest sensor to work reliably. Unless I'm sweating heavily.
Old 01-01-19, 10:58 PM
BritishV8

Bikes: 1979 Bridgestone SkyWay, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 2002 Specialized Hardrock Comp, 2018 Soma Smoothie

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've used two different chest type HRM's, and they were night and day different from each other. The Wahoo TICKR has been remarkably reliable, despite my heavy chest fur. I really like its "visible connection" features: It has two LEDs. One LED tells me if it has a bluetooth connection. The other LED blinks with my heart beats. Those two LEDs are a big help when you're first pairing it to a phone, and I expect it will help someday when the battery starts to fade. My old Panobike HRM didn't have either feature and it was far from reliable. (I wouldn't assume all arm band HRMs are created equal either.)

FWIW, I found my chest strap HRM comfortable and I doubt I'd prefer arm band HRMs in that respect.
Old 01-01-19, 11:49 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Went through 4 armband HRMs (two Mio Link, Mio Velo, Mio Fuse) before finally giving in and buying a chest strap HRM (Garmin soft strap.) Just skip to the end and buy the chest strap. At it's best, a wristband will get you a week of rides between charges, and you'll still "die" during a ride at least a couple of times a month (from forgetting to charge it.) I've had the chest strap for a year and changed the battery once-- in over 700 hours of use. Other than the battery life, the armbands work just fine. Never had dropouts or serious pairing issues with any of the Mios, but the chest strap is zero fuss. The downfall of the Mios was the battery, with every one of them. The first one had the battery deteriorate to the point where it wouldn't last 4 hours between charges. The Garmin uses a 2032 coin cell, which are dirt cheap and available anywhere.
Old 01-02-19, 08:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
For the sake of clarity re arm/wrist sensors...

Those worn on the wrist are known to be less accurate that those worn on the upper arm. They work the same way but where they are worn makes a big difference in how well they sense actual heart rate.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 01-02-19 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-02-19, 09:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
most of the arm band sensors don't have enough battery life. The wahoo sensor lasts 30 hours, so that's a lot better. Still pretty short though
Old 01-02-19, 01:07 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Oh, now I understand. You mean like a Fitbit or something like that. I have no opinion on those, other than a know a few people that use them 24/7 because they had heart problems and want to keep track of things better.
Old 01-02-19, 02:56 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
My wife has a Fitbit - it is not at all accurate measuring her heart rate while bike riding. She can climb a steep local hill, be completely out of breath at the top and the Fitbit will register a HR in the 80s. When she does the treadmill it seems to be better and will register more in accordance with her perceived effort.
Old 01-03-19, 02:22 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Accuracy shouldn't be an issue anymore. In this review, reported differences average 1 heart beat per minute. I've been through a cardiac stress test (supervised by a cardiologist) and the reading on my smartwatch closely matched the monitored rate, albeit with some lag. The lag is almost certainly being caused by the software rather than by the sensor -- in my experience, the stress tests increases the load at an increasing rate. At the beginning, my watch was spot on. As intensity was increased. it lagged for a few seconds before catching up.

One factor, maybe, is fit - wrist sensors should be snug against a fleshy section of your wrist. Starting out snug may become too tight as the day progresses, if your wrist swells, in hot weather for example.

Interestingly, perhaps, my cardiologist is not at all worried by the accuracy of HRMs. He's a long distance runner. His advice was to "run by how you feel" rather than set a strict upper limit to your measured heart rate.
Likes For gauvins:
Old 01-03-19, 03:15 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
My only issue is riding in moderate temps without high humidity. Until I start to sweat, static from the jersey material cause false readings like it goes to max. One solution I’ve read is soak the jersey with water before starting but I’ve never tried that.

My dry issue was a dry chest strap, not a dry shirt. I hand wash and/or wet down my Polar chest strap before putting it on each time. I've never had a problem with initial readings and I've never had to use any electrode gels. Try that maybe.

Last edited by u235; 01-03-19 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 03:31 PM
u235

Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Accuracy shouldn't be an issue anymore. In this review, reported differences average 1 heart beat per minute. I've been through a cardiac stress test (supervised by a cardiologist) and the reading on my smartwatch closely matched the monitored rate, albeit with some lag. The lag is almost certainly being caused by the software rather than by the sensor -- in my experience, the stress tests increases the load at an increasing rate. At the beginning, my watch was spot on. As intensity was increased. it lagged for a few seconds before catching up.

One factor, maybe, is fit - wrist sensors should be snug against a fleshy section of your wrist. Starting out snug may become too tight as the day progresses, if your wrist swells, in hot weather for example.

Interestingly, perhaps, my cardiologist is not at all worried by the accuracy of HRMs. He's a long distance runner. His advice was to "run by how you feel" rather than set a strict upper limit to your measured heart rate.
I read that article, they mentioned averages only. You could have rates all over the place and still get a close average. In reality, you couldn't go from 160 to 210 or 110 in 5 seconds and if you somehow did, or you would definitely know by feel. I have an older Gear2 watch I got for free with the Samsung Note7 recall debacle, it is totally useless as a HRM when actually working out but in the end the overall average is usually close but sometimes it locks on a harmonic or something and shows 1/2 my heart rate for long periods of time. I"m happy with my chest strap so I haven't been following the accuracy and trends of the other wrist devices. Good to know they are possibly getting better.
When biking, do I really need to know or track my instantaneous HR at any given time and look at it later? Nope. I don't need speed, temperature, grade, distance, or cadence either but I'm going through the effort to get it and track it, I'd like it to be accurate at least.

Last edited by u235; 01-03-19 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-03-19, 11:41 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Chest strap needs a new battery every year, or maybe every few years depending how much you use it. Wrist and arm straps need to be charged at least every few days.
Old 01-04-19, 03:51 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Chest strap needs a new battery every year, or maybe every few years depending how much you use it. Wrist and arm straps need to be charged at least every few days.
I believe that's optical vs electrical sensors. Optical uses more battery to drive the LEDs. Most of the opticals are arm or upper arm. Most of the electrical ones are chest straps IIRC.

But FWIW, the new Wahoo optical strap goes 30 hours on a charge. The older Rhythm was about 8 hours.

J.
Old 02-14-19, 09:14 PM
rluke258

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
arm hrm uses optical based sensor, not that reliable than chest strap.
Old 02-14-19, 10:02 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
The chest worn are much more accurate and reliable. My only issue is riding in moderate temps without high humidity. Until I start to sweat, static from the jersey material cause false readings like it goes to max. One solution I’ve read is soak the jersey with water before starting but I’ve never tried that.

The arm is definately more convenient but it can work intermittently or just stop suddenly until I readjust it.

You don’t have to do anything to your jersey, just wet the contact points of the strap.
Old 02-14-19, 10:24 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach

You don’t have to do anything to your jersey, just wet the contact points of the strap.
There are two issues. One is strap contact. The other is static electrify from the jersey
Old 02-14-19, 10:48 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts

There are two issues. One is strap contact. The other is static electrify from the jersey
i have not had an issue with static electricity.
Old 07-02-19, 02:59 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Don't you have to get a new strap with a Polar HRM, as the battery can't be changed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.