Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Easy to mount tubeless tire recommendation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 01:25 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a set of Bontrager wheels that I have been using their R3 tubeless tires with and they're OK but not great and have really poor life compared to my old Conti 4000II. My friend recommended some new Schwalbe tubeless tires but OMG they are almost impossible to mount and once mounted they will not setup tubeless in spite of having an air compressor and a reasonable amount of experience. They are so difficult to both mount and remove on that wheel I will not use them. Any recommendations on tubeless tires that are known to be reasonably easy to mount? I understand that many may be a bit tougher due to their need to be tubeless but the wheel is "tubeless ready" for what that's worth (not much) and I'd like to get some recommendations from any folks that have run into similar situations and found this or that tire that was a bit easier. I'll stick with R3 if I have to but would like to try some others.
Old 03-20-19, 01:59 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I've actually had a very easy time with Schwalbes on my Bontrager wheels (way easier than on my Reynolds), but it's certainly possible that some combinations will work better/worse than others, even within the two same brands. Unfortunately, I think that this is just one of those deals where you've gotta try them yourself. Bontrager has a range of tubeless tires, though - have you tried any others?
Old 03-20-19, 02:04 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I’m using Schwalbe Pro Ones on November Bicycles RCG36 wheels. They were a bit tough to mount, I had to use a tire lever for the last bit, but once on the rims they inflated and held air using my standard floor pump. Pretty much just like inflating a tubed tire. I know this doesn’t answer your question, it’s just another datapoint. Seems each tubeless tire and rim combination offers a different experience.
Old 03-20-19, 02:14 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
I have gotten a set of Continental GP5000TL. They mounted fairly easily on my deep carbon wheels and holy cow do they ever have low rolling resistance. I have a set of Swalbe on my Basso Loto and ride them on paved and gravel roads. they aren't even showing wear which is surprising after I've done perhaps 20 miles on gravel.

To make a point about Tubeless tires - they should mount easier than a clincher would. And you can inflate them using a normal floor pump if they are properly aligned on the rim. This quite surprised me after making the mistake of mounting clincher tires in place of tubeless tires. They were VERY difficult to install. And then later one of them broke the bead and blew off the rim. Luckily in a place where I could "safely" fall. So always be sure that you are using tubeless tires that SAY tubeless on them.
Old 03-20-19, 02:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have Schwalbe pro 1 tires (28mm) on reynolds assault wheels and it's a piece of cake to get them on! I needed a compressor to seat them though.
Old 03-21-19, 03:55 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Schwalbe Pro Ones 25mm on a Kinlin rim, and getting them on is tough [I use a tyre jack], but getting them off drives me to tears. Same tyres on Velocity a23s are much easier.

Planning to get those Silca metal levers with rubber pads and see if those make it any easier.
Old 03-21-19, 06:28 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Assuming the new Schwalbe's with the "TL Easy" Moniker... Were incredibly easy to get on both my Easton wheels and my Light Bicycle wheels, but they did require a compressor to seat. When I had my Bontrager TLR wheels I was able to pretty much use any tire with no issues (circa 2014-15 model year) with the exception of some horrible Hutchison's. I really liked the Bontrager R3 tires though along with the Schwalbe's. Right now I'm enjoying the new Continental 5000 TL's, bear to get on and had to use levers but really great feel and grip. These were the first tires I needed levers to get on though and had a bit of worry that I needed to exert the amount of leverage that I did.
Old 03-22-19, 11:00 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I have Schwalbe pro 1 tires (28mm) on reynolds assault wheels and it's a piece of cake to get them on! I needed a compressor to seat them though.
I'm about to take my 25mm Pro 1 tyres off my Boyd rims. Need to do some spring "Stan's booger" clean out.

I'm concerned with putting the tyres back on as I don't have compressor to seal them up. Do you have one at home, or did you ask the LBS to blow them up for you?
Old 03-22-19, 11:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Posts in the GP5k thread say those (tubeless version) are easy to put on.
Old 03-24-19, 09:30 PM
matt92037

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I went through 3 sets of Pro One tubeless. I found them easy to mount and very fast rolling. I also found them to wear fast and puncture easy. After I wear out my current set of 4000s I will try some tubeless 5000’s.

No no more Pro Ones for me. My roads are in pretty bad shape however.
Old 04-02-19, 03:07 PM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by matt92037
I went through 3 sets of Pro One tubeless. I found them easy to mount and very fast rolling. I also found them to wear fast and puncture easy. After I wear out my current set of 4000s I will try some tubeless 5000’s.

I will say this about the Continentals though - they don't have very good directional stability. Particularly on deep aero rims that may be a little sensitive to gusts. So you have to be aware. This lack of directional stability has the advantage in lots of tight maneuvering that you could run into in a Crit.
Old 04-03-19, 09:49 AM
NoWhammies

Originally Posted by matt92037

How many Ks were you getting on your Pro Ones? I am approaching 5,000k on my front Pro One tyre and am starting to get worried the tyre is approaching its end of life.
Old 04-03-19, 06:08 PM
nickc3

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
schwabe pro one. a breeze with this gadget:

Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYML7K/
Old 04-04-19, 03:05 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nickc3
schwabe pro one. a breeze with this gadget:

Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AYML7K/
Yes, works great, and then my only other issue is getting those damn tyres off. On some rims It's damn near impossible.
Old 04-04-19, 09:21 AM
NoWhammies

I opted for the Crank Brothers Speedier Tyre Lever over the kool stop tire bead jack. So far, so good.

I have a set of Pirelli cinturato velo tubeless tyres on order, so I'll see how the speedier Tyre lever works mounting them.
Old 04-04-19, 07:09 PM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mavic UST