Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What say you? New bike: Aero vs. Lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-19, 03:07 PM
RedBullFiXX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
I actually swung by the shop, as I was just passing by, and looked at some Cervelo's as well.

I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm leaning towards the Orca Aero. They have a 2019 model at a price that is simply fantastic and in the color I'd like it in. I just need to take it for a ride and determine if the 57 is the proper size for me or the 60 is (in which case I'd have to look elsewhere/have them order one).
Orbea Orca Aero
Beautiful bike, handling is on point, not a lightweight frame though
Have a sweet spot for those bikes
Old 08-06-19, 03:08 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
Originally Posted by RShantz
Aero still matters while in the pack.
Thanks for completely changing my mind. Invaluable quantitative evidence and real-world experience all in one brief issuance.
RShantz is right. I've worked with Olympic and World Cup pursuit teams. We instrumented each rider to measure their drag, wherever they were in the rotation. Aero still matters, whether you're in the lead or you're drafting.
Likes For RChung:
Old 08-06-19, 03:10 PM
rodey

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
Orbea Orca Aero
Beautiful bike, handling is on point, not a lightweight frame though
Have a sweet spot for those bikes
It's a beautiful looking bike, which is a big reason I like it, along with the price point. The one at the shop has direct mount rim brakes, and I was kind of set on discs, but I honestly don't really think it matters much for me. I don't do a lot of wet weather riding.

Definitely not as light as it could be/I was thinking of going, but it's going to be lighter than what I currently own, so it has that going for it.
Old 08-06-19, 03:10 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
RShantz is right. I've worked with Olympic and World Cup pursuit teams. We instrumented each rider to measure their drag, wherever they were in the rotation. Aero still matters, whether you're in the lead or you're drafting.
Did you gain any insight on the benefit to the lead rider from the riders behind?
Old 08-06-19, 03:22 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Dave is immune to facts, but the rest of us are grateful to hear your results. 🙂
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-06-19, 03:34 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
What's next: aero gravel bikes?
"Next"? They're already here.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-06-19, 04:16 PM
RedBullFiXX

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rodey
It's a beautiful looking bike, which is a big reason I like it, along with the price point. The one at the shop has direct mount rim brakes, and I was kind of set on discs, but I honestly don't really think it matters much for me. I don't do a lot of wet weather riding.

Definitely not as light as it could be/I was thinking of going, but it's going to be lighter than what I currently own, so it has that going for it.
The direct mount brakes on my Aeroad are very good !
Old 08-06-19, 04:38 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Thanks for completely changing my mind. Invaluable quantitative evidence and real-world experience all in one brief issuance.

One more point: due to the UCI weight limit, top-end bikes are being loaded with extra ballast such as aero frame shapes, deep profile rims and (shudder) disk breaks.

But nobody here wasting their time on these forums is subject to this arbitrary limit. So significant performance gains are possible by not following this latest aero frame fad.

What's next: aero gravel bikes?
Ask and you shall receive:

Likes For Abe_Froman:
Old 08-06-19, 06:45 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
RChung, a question for you; I have been told that there is an aero advantage as low as around 12 mph. I have also read here that there is no real advantage until 18 mph and in this thread 20+ mph. Is there an actual number that you use for determining this? I have a Madone 9 that I ride mostly with my 32 hole HED Belgians because at the speed I am riding (18-20 mph), it probably won’t make a huge difference compared to my choices of 35 mm or 50 mm Shimano wheels sets.
Old 08-06-19, 06:55 PM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Glad I could help. I always try to be succinct.
Old 08-06-19, 11:53 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 918 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Did you gain any insight on the benefit to the lead rider from the riders behind?
Hmmm. I'm not sure: almost everything confirmed things we already expected to find -- what was kinda cool was that the instrumentation was sensitive enough to actually show it. I've been fortunate enough to work with a couple of pursuit teams where the riders varied a lot in size (and power, and recovery). That meant that the optimization problem was pretty interesting, because you got different results according to different orderings and rotations of the riders. That was a very cool problem.

Originally Posted by colnago62
I have been told that there is an aero advantage as low as around 12 mph. I have also read here that there is no real advantage until 18 mph and in this thread 20+ mph. Is there an actual number that you use for determining this?
As long as you're riding in the atmosphere, aerodynamics matters: there's no simple "threshold." That said, some sources of drag are (nearly) constant with speed and some vary nonlinearly with speed. Aero varies nonlinearly, so when you're going really (really) slowly, the aero drag component is small relative to the nearly constant with speed components. It's small, but it's always there. Likewise, when you're going fast, the constant drag components are relatively small, but they're always there too. They don't disappear at high speed; the aero component doesn't disappear at low speed.
Old 08-07-19, 08:04 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
It sounds to me like you're looking for approval to buy a new bike because you don't like the color of the one you have. You don't want an American manufacturer. You also seem to be very susceptible to the GCN advertisements.

You don't climb enough to make a lightweight any better and unless you're a hell of a lot faster than an 18 mph average, aero isn't going to give you anything.

So what it boils down to is that you want a new bike and you're willing to spend a great deal of money for it. Isn't that your business and not that of anyone else?
Old 08-07-19, 08:39 AM
rodey

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
It sounds to me like you're looking for approval to buy a new bike because you don't like the color of the one you have. You don't want an American manufacturer. You also seem to be very susceptible to the GCN advertisements.

You don't climb enough to make a lightweight any better and unless you're a hell of a lot faster than an 18 mph average, aero isn't going to give you anything.

So what it boils down to is that you want a new bike and you're willing to spend a great deal of money for it. Isn't that your business and not that of anyone else?
Not really sure where you read into any of this.

I don't need approval to get a new bike, I am getting one. I'm getting said new bike because I want to upgrade from 105 to Ultegra and it makes more sense to me, to simply upgrade my entire bike instead of dropping a new groupset and wheels onto my current frame.

I simply came here to ask a question which I have seen raised on GCN and in numerous other publications, and which has seemed to spark good discussion in this thread. I'm not sure how that makes me susceptible to advertisements. I work in marketing. I know how ads work.

You are correct that I don't want an American manufacturer, though.
Old 08-07-19, 09:47 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Without question, aero. Unless you are doing grand tour climbing stages, there is not reason to go for lightweight at the expense of aero. BTW, the bike is not the only piece in the puzzle, a lot of your choices including helmet and clothing (and zipper) play a part, and we are NOT talking about marginal gains.

Listen to some of Robert Chung's podcast, it's very illuminating. The game has changed a lot in the last a few years.

The old conception of aero road bike is they are too stiff and heavy. The recent models of road aero bikes are all moving to disc brakes to create wider tire clearance for lower rolling resistance and comfort. My 2019 Specialized Venge can clear 35c tires easily. I have 28c tubeless tires and riding at 65psi. It's both faster and more comfortable.