Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1950s Bianchi

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 06:18 PM
mthnur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
1950s Bianchi

Hello- hoping this didn’t post twice, as I just got an error that I can’t yet post pics. I’m the executor for the estate of my father in Ohio. He had a 1950s Bianchi Campione Del Mondo. I believe it has all of its original parts. Fender things were detached and in the attic, but I have them. It’s dirty (in a garage), but I don’t want to clean it and ruin something that can be restored. I have the original paperwork from 1956 when he bought it. Can someone tell me a fair asking price and the best place to sell it? I see similar bikes but in cleaner/better condition selling for $3,000+ in other countries on Ebay. Is it worth a lot less if tarnished and such? I’d rather not have to ship it. Thanks for any information you can give me. I know very little about bicycles, but I know that this one may have some value.
Old 08-25-19, 07:20 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
So asking price on eBay is not the same as what the bike sells for. There are all kinds of crazy prices on eBay. If you're not willing to ship, the value will go down considerably. And everything depends on the condition of the bike as well as the quality of the parts and the frame. So why don't you go to the introduction section, introduce yourself and reply to a few posts. By the time you hit 10, you will be able to post pictures. Take some good pictures particularly of the drive side and components as well as of the entire bike. Then people will give you a range in terms of the price you might expect.
Old 08-25-19, 07:38 PM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you. Will try to get more pics after cleaning it. Appreciate your replies.
Old 08-25-19, 08:13 PM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Uploaded a few more pics to the album, but will definitely try to get more when it’s clean. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 08-26-19, 08:26 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...it's difficult to set a value on a project that appears it will require that much work. There's a pretty small demographic of collectors willing to undertake something like that, and you're looking for one who is the correct size in terms of the frame fit. I know some of those guys from hanging out here, and they are notoriously tight with a buck.
Old 08-26-19, 06:37 PM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thank you, 3alarmer. I plan to use some Dawn detergent and warm water to try and clean it up this week then will post pics and maybe everyone will be able to give me a range for asking price. If for some reason Dawn detergent isn’t a good way to clean at it, yell at me now. 😉I’m in driving distance of Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland- so thinking that a reasonable price for those cities is what I’d like to know. I’d love to know that someone is riding it again and loves it like my dad did. I hope someone will love the project aspect of it.
Likes For mthnur:
Old 08-26-19, 07:28 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...it's a good size and that original sales receipt from the Canal Zone is waaaay cool.
Old 08-26-19, 08:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Your brakes look like they could be "Universal" brand. If so, replacement hoods are readily available.

You'll have to decide if you wish to "restore" to original condition, or keep the "Patina".
Old 08-27-19, 02:12 AM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...it's a good size and that original sales receipt from the Canal Zone is waaaay cool.
He was in the Army in the Canal Zone and probably bought the bike to impress his future wife (my mother). 😊
Old 08-27-19, 07:39 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Camapione del Mondo model was introduced for the 1954 model year, to celebrate Coppi's victory at the 1953 World Championships in Lugano, Switzerland. It definitely has a piston style front derailleur, which should be the original Gran Sport and place it pre-1960. Consequently, the rear derailleur should be a Gran Sport. The brakeset is definitely Universal and should be a model 51. So, it would appear to be a 1954-1959 Campione del Mondo.

However, I agree that it is too difficult to provide an assessment from the provided photos. We'd need additional photos, particularly of the major components.
Old 08-27-19, 10:12 AM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks, T-Mar. Hoping to get over tonight and get it cleaned up and take more pics... then I hope to get to 10 posts today so that I can post the better pics directly tomorrow. Appreciate everyone’s help and information.
Old 08-27-19, 10:17 AM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What are the most important parts to get pics of once I get it clean? I don’t know what some part names refer to, so can someone describe what is important in terms like “near the chain” on the left side, right side, whatever?
Old 08-27-19, 10:33 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by mthnur
What are the most important parts to get pics of once I get it clean? I don’t know what some part names refer to, so can someone describe what is important in terms like “near the chain” on the left side, right side, whatever?
Usually people post a full shot of the bike from the right side (with the sprockets and chainrings).

Then close-ups of derailleurs and major components. Also some close-ups of lugs from top and sides.

Head tube badge? All other badges/labels including if there is a tubing badge.

Has @Bianchigirll chimed in yet?

If you want an accurate appraisal, after you get the dirt off, get some good pictures of anything that looks particularly "good", as well as any dents, gouges, or bad rust spots.

Hopefully you're keeping this as a family heirloom, and thus may not need to get down to dollars and cents.
Old 08-27-19, 10:46 AM
T-Mar

Additional photos should include:
-overall drive side photo, tubing decal (if present),
-drive side photo of crankset with front derailleur and pedal
-rear derailleur with dropuout,
-shift levers
- photo showing handlebar, stem, brake levers, upper headset stack and top head tube lug
- brake caliper photo including fork crown
-photo showing saddle, seat post and seat lug
-hubs
-rim label (if any)

-
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-27-19, 10:52 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by CliffordK
...Has @Bianchigirll chimed in yet?...
With all due respect to BG, past threads indicate that she has little knowledge of Bianchi prior to the 1980s. There are other members with far more knowledge of Bianchi from the subject era.
Old 08-27-19, 06:09 PM
CliffordK

@mthnur has uploaded a few more photos of the bike, but hit his 10 post limit (5+5) until tomorrow.

https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/14979406

Old 08-27-19, 06:13 PM
CliffordK

Old 08-27-19, 06:24 PM
CliffordK

Interesting bike.

I don't think I have ever seen pump pegs attached to Campagnolo shifter bosses & cable guides.

LOTS of brake clearance!!!

Those appear to be "tubular" or "sewup" tires, and glued to the rim. I don't think I ever tried running a generator off of sewups, but it does make me cringe a bit!!!

I don't see a close-up of the brake levers, but based on the calipers (and the general shape of the levers), my guess is that those are "Universal" levers too, and as I mentioned, good reproduction hoods are available.

Cloth handlebar tape is also available.

Or, the choice is always to keep it as-is.

Are those integrated headset bearing cups? I think Bianchi did that on a few bikes.
Old 08-27-19, 06:25 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Much better pics. That is going to be a heck of a project for someone.
Old 08-27-19, 06:43 PM
CliffordK

I'm not seeing anything indicating the actual tubing type.

If we date the bike as 1956, I believe that Columbus had already been supplying tubing decals by 1953, so if it was double butted, one would expect a Columbus decal.

https://cyclesroland.wordpress.com/2...ecal-timeline/

So, the question is what type of tubing this bike has on it. There are some people that are good at sleuthing out tube butting.

If one was stripping the frame, lubing, etc, then one should be able to weigh the bare frame and guess the tubing.

I'm seeing notes of a couple of Campione del Mondo bikes on the internet, but without the chrome seat tube lug.
Old 08-27-19, 07:04 PM
CliffordK

If you come back to the question of what that is worth... as-is.

I'm seeing one on E-Bay that the seller is asking a fortune for.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-Wor...0/123886395435

$2975 + $200 Shipping.

However, anything that is unsold on E-Bay can be just wishful thinking.

If I was selling the bike on E-Bay, I would not let it go for < $500 + shipping, and would probably test the waters with a $1000 minimum bid.

However, as a buyer for a fun restoration project... $400 to $500 might peak my interest. But, it also isn't something that I'm actively searching for at the moment.

Oh... I see the pump mounts, but NO PUMP... is there a pump that goes with it?
Old 08-27-19, 07:29 PM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Pumps?? Fenders?? Haven’t washed these yet
Hoping enough time has gone by for a post...
CliffordK- really wish my dad was around to answer your questions and talk bikes with you. He would have loved that. I don’t understand a lot of the terminology and what is what on the bike. (I’m just the daughter of the guy that would have known all this stuff!) The only parts I left at his house by mistake look like fenders. Will go back for those later. The potential value info you gave me is helpful. We talked as a family and agree that any of us would only leave it in a garage to rust more, and we’d love to see it sell to someone who wants to restore it and will enjoy it. I’m thinking that Craigslist in Pittsburgh or Cleveland- maybe Columbus could be successful and I’m in 2 hr range of those places and could drive it there or meet up or something. I’d have no clue how to safely take it apart to ship it, or I’d try Ebay or the marketplace forum.

Last edited by mthnur; 08-27-19 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Add pic of parts
Old 08-27-19, 08:03 PM
CliffordK

Glad to see you're back posting. And, I think all the account restrictions are over, so you can upload up to, I think 1000 photos, and post to your heart's content.

I can imagine family dynamics. And, if your father bought the bike in the late 50's, that likely puts you in your 50's or 60's.

Grandkids?

Some bike shops will pack and ship a bike, but not necessarily cheaply. Most will, however, also give away free bike boxes with some packing.

Depending on the box, it will require some basic disassembly. And, unfortunately they are large unwieldy boxes. And, with poor packing, there is a risk of damage.

Unfortunately, the market for a very unique collector's bike can be fickle, and it can be tough to get top dollar when selling locally. Thus benefits with a nationwide market.

There are also many different types of buyers. You may or may not have control over who eventually gets it.
  • Buy it and ride it as a regular bike.
  • Buy it and keep it as cherished part of a collection. Bike shows. Either with "patina", or fully restored.
  • Buy it, restore, then resell
  • Buy it, speculating, and resell for a higher profit, doing only minimal maintenance.
  • Strip it and sell it for parts (or perhaps keep some parts for other bikes).

BikeForums does allow ads, but only for upgraded accounts.
Old 08-27-19, 08:12 PM
CliffordK

3 fenders & 2 wheels? All Bianche Celeste Colored

That does make some sense with the high wheel clearance and generator light set.

However, I'm beginning to think that this was a mid-level Bianchi outfitted for general use. Although, likely many used them for racing too.
Old 08-27-19, 08:24 PM
mthnur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Glad to see you're back posting. And, I think all the account restrictions are over, so you can upload up to, I think 1000 photos, and post to your heart's content.

I can imagine family dynamics. And, if your father bought the bike in the late 50's, that likely puts you in your 50's or 60's.

Grandkids?

Some bike shops will pack and ship a bike, but not necessarily cheaply. Most will, however, also give away free bike boxes with some packing.

Depending on the box, it will require some basic disassembly. And, unfortunately they are large unwieldy boxes. And, with poor packing, there is a risk of damage.

Unfortunately, the market for a very unique collector's bike can be fickle, and it can be tough to get top dollar when selling locally. Thus benefits with a nationwide market.

There are also many different types of buyers. You may or may not have control over who eventually gets it.
  • Buy it and ride it as a regular bike.
  • Buy it and keep it as cherished part of a collection. Bike shows. Either with "patina", or fully restored.
  • Buy it, restore, then resell
  • Buy it, speculating, and resell for a higher profit, doing only minimal maintenance.
  • Strip it and sell it for parts (or perhaps keep some parts for other bikes).

BikeForums does allow ads, but only for upgraded accounts.
54 years old, 4 kids, but so far only a grandpup! The only son that would be remotely interested in the bike is 5’9” and lives in a tiny place in Boston- no go on two counts. Lots to think about. Guess sellers really can’t be choosers- but still hoping just the right fit for the bike will be out there. Thank you for all of the info and advice. Believe my dad may have raced the bike - amateur type stuff. Unsure re the fenders - maybe there was a different bike at some point or something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.