Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to remove an extremely seized bottom bracket?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-04-13, 02:56 AM
LongSheeep

Bikes: Current: 1998 Bianchi Mega Ti, 2014 Hetchins Magnum Opus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I have purchased a used titanium frame with a very stuck bottom bracket.
The frame and the late 90s Campagnolo Record BB are both English threaded, so I am pretty sure it is not cross-threaded.
However, I believe the BB cups have oxidized on the threads, even though the surface seems to be in good shape.

My LBS (in Hong Kong) tried to remove the BB with their Chinese made tools, but the handle simply snapped in half.
I have tried to soak the BB with penetrating oil and later ammonia, with no effect.

Reading on the internet, I believe the only way to remove to BB is by using destructive methods.
I have read about drilling holes on the BB and then hack-saw the BB from the center to the threads, cutting it up like a cake. This seems to be the safer method, but I have no access to a drill press. Can standard power drill go through the BB cup?

I have also seen people removing alloy BBs by soaking the frame in caustic soda. I know it works for steel frames, but would caustic soda (NaOH) damage titanium?
The frame is 3Al-2.5V if that matters.

It took me 2 years to find this frame in my size, so I am not giving up on it! Please help! Thanks!

- Roland
Old 07-04-13, 03:08 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carefully.
Old 07-04-13, 03:17 AM
rat fink
Iconoclast

Bikes: Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper, Specialized Sirrus (road)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I once had a viciously seized bottom bracket in a steel frame, that I heated the BB hanger over a gas stove until the hanger became very warm, then I carefully used large adjustable pliers to unscrew it. I've also had great results with a penetrating oil called, "Rusty".

This is what we use at the auto shop I work for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DV_WebLarge_P_11916.jpg (9.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 07-04-13, 03:21 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
I had this issue last week, with a seized LP26 in a steel frame, the plastic side teeth snapped when trying to remove.

Resolved by fitting a screwing a Park BBT2 into the BB metal side, using a Pedros BB socket holder to secure it (you need to use quality tools), and then fitting the BBT2 into a vice fixed on a work bench, applying some Finish Line Chill Zone (freeze spray) and then turning the frame, rather than the tool, to get more leverage on it, took a bit of effort, but the BB came out eventually. Cut the remains of the plastic side out with a handy saw, so the frame was ready for a new BB.

For your frame, would 100% check that you have an English tread BB, not an Italian, just measure the shell, English will be 68mm, Italian 70mm; and get some quality tools, there are plenty out there, alternatives to Park, include VAR, Cyclo, Cyclus, Pedros, Campagnolo and plenty of others.
Old 07-04-13, 03:37 AM
LongSheeep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
I had this issue last week, with a seized LP26 in a steel frame, the plastic side teeth snapped when trying to remove.

Resolved by fitting a screwing a Park BBT2 into the BB metal side, using a Pedros BB socket holder to secure it (you need to use quality tools), and then fitting the BBT2 into a vice fixed on a work bench, applying some Finish Line Chill Zone (freeze spray) and then turning the frame, rather than the tool, to get more leverage on it, took a bit of effort, but the BB came out eventually. Cut the remains of the plastic side out with a handy saw, so the frame was ready for a new BB.

For your frame, would 100% check that you have an English tread BB, not an Italian, just measure the shell, English will be 68mm, Italian 70mm; and get some quality tools, there are plenty out there, alternatives to Park, include VAR, Cyclo, Cyclus, Pedros, Campagnolo and plenty of others.
Thanks for your input! The frame is a late 90s Bianchi, so it should be 68mm. I have worked on 3 Bianchis from the era and they are all 68mm.
My LBS has a full set of Park Tools, but they usually use the Chinese ones first as they are disposable. A set of alley keys cost under $10, and the design is a direct copy of the Pedro set (made with pot metal).

The freeze spray sounds like a great idea, but it may be hard to get in Hong Kong.
I have searched the forum and heard caustic soda/lye/NaOH is safe for titanium, but this website says otherwise: https://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl..._metals_1.html
Old 07-04-13, 04:40 AM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
freeze spray is the same as canned air duster. just need to turn the can upside down
Old 07-04-13, 05:14 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by rat fink
Carefully.
In other words, forget the hand drill; drill press or bust. If you choose to drill, that is.

So the cups are ally, then? Late 90s Record, I was thinking maybe Ti... which I understand seizes pretty happily to itself.
Old 07-04-13, 06:18 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
"The frame is a late 90s Bianchi, so it should be 68mm."

"Should be" is not the same as "is."

A careful measurement to 100% confirm this will take little time or effort and might save you a lot of grief.

Kano Kroil is the top penetrating oil in my book, it might be worthwhile to get some and try it plus a careful application of heat/cold.
I suspect that drilling into a bottom bracket is a lot more difficult than it sounds, especially if it is Ti like Kimmo suggests. Getting it done without breaking a lot of tools or having them walk sideways into the threads will take luck as well as skill, patience and a careful setup.
Old 07-04-13, 07:14 AM
LongSheeep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
"The frame is a late 90s Bianchi, so it should be 68mm."

"Should be" is not the same as "is."

A careful measurement to 100% confirm this will take little time or effort and might save you a lot of grief.

Kano Kroil is the top penetrating oil in my book, it might be worthwhile to get some and try it plus a careful application of heat/cold.
I suspect that drilling into a bottom bracket is a lot more difficult than it sounds, especially if it is Ti like Kimmo suggests. Getting it done without breaking a lot of tools or having them walk sideways into the threads will take luck as well as skill, patience and a careful setup.
The 1998 Bianchi catalog stats the frame has English threaded BB, so I suppose it is.
Old 07-04-13, 07:17 AM
LongSheeep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The freeze spray worked! (With plenty of WD40 "Fast Release" penetrating oil) The BB survived but is not in great shape.
It turns out that the previous owner DID NOT apply ANY grease or anti-seize on the threads. Pretty strange considering it is a higher-end bike and was ridden regularly.

I am building the bike up with 2012 Record, so hopefully it wont happen again. (I remove and re-grease UT cups quite often).
I have also applied the proper titanium anti seize on the threads.

Thank you for helping out!
Old 07-04-13, 07:42 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by LongSheeep
I have searched the forum and heard caustic soda/lye/NaOH is safe for titanium, but this website says otherwise: https://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tabl..._metals_1.html
The table is intended to guide those choosing metals for long term service in piping and vessels, not for one-time short term exposure. So NaOH, even 50%, should do no damage for the time you will need to expose your Ti frame to it. However, be sure the cups are indeed aluminum before using NaOH. It won't help on steel cups.
Old 07-04-13, 01:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts

...!
Next time the BB is out, or sooner if you want to prevent issues, drill a 2mm or so weep hole in the lowest point at the middle of the BB shell. If you have a screwed in cable guide, you can remove the screw form time to time (or permanently if you use a mild adhesive on the guide) to drain the frame. You can also drill out the screw to make it serve as a weep hole.

Most of the mischief happens from water trapped inside the frame, rather than from road spray. Water is very claustrophobic, and if you don't give it a way out it'll seek revenge on you and your bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-04-13, 06:51 PM
LongSheeep

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Next time the BB is out, or sooner if you want to prevent issues, drill a 2mm or so weep hole in the lowest point at the middle of the BB shell. If you have a screwed in cable guide, you can remove the screw form time to time (or permanently if you use a mild adhesive on the guide) to drain the frame. You can also drill out the screw to make it serve as a weep hole.

Most of the mischief happens from water trapped inside the frame, rather than from road spray. Water is very claustrophobic, and if you don't give it a way out it'll seek revenge on you and your bike.
Thanks. The cable guide is screw-on, so I guess I can just remove it from time to time.
Old 07-04-13, 07:21 PM
RubberLegs

Bikes: 87 Bridgestone 550 (Shocking Electric Metallic Pink)

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had a badly stuck BB Cup, soaked it in penetrating oils and all...the thing that finally worked was a good heavy cold chisel and heavy hammer, smacking it firmly at a low angle...CAREFULLY....Finally got it to break loose. It was chromed steel in a steel frame...lots of rust.
Old 07-05-13, 10:58 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Nickle based anti-seizes work best for Stainless and Titanium.....Leave the copper,aluminum and moly based ones for other stuff.
Old 07-05-13, 12:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 392 Posts
Originally Posted by RubberLegs
I had a badly stuck BB Cup, soaked it in penetrating oils and all...the thing that finally worked was a good heavy cold chisel and heavy hammer, smacking it firmly at a low angle...CAREFULLY....Finally got it to break loose. It was chromed steel in a steel frame...lots of rust.
I saw a mechanic remove a very stuck BB by welding a piece of steel to the fixed cup to hold in a vise, and using the frame as a lever. But I think what really loosened it was the heat from the arc welding...
Old 07-05-13, 07:26 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I saw a mechanic remove a very stuck BB by welding a piece of steel to the fixed cup to hold in a vise, and using the frame as a lever. But I think what really loosened it was the heat from the arc welding...
welding will also shrink it in addition to heat cycling it
Old 08-15-13, 09:18 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad I found this thread. The Legend Ti I thought was a decent deal is turning out not to be, the BB is seized I suspect from not being lubed on assembly. I'll need to take it to a proper shop to work it out I suppose, though I may try freezing it this weekend. The rest of the bike stripped apart fairly easily too, except for the headset, it's frozen as well.

The BB? Record of course, it's also trashed. The previous owner took very poor care of this bike, he treated a Ferrari like a freaking Farmall, I should be shot for giving him hard earned money
Old 08-16-13, 09:08 PM
Popeyecahn
Pedo Grande

Bikes: Cervelo C3, Serotta Legend Ti, Vitus 979

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The freeze spray worked! (With plenty of WD40 "Fast Release" penetrating oil) The BB survived but is not in great shape.

Thank you for helping out!
Thank you! The can of up turned air, some good proper raps with a hammer and PB Blaster did the trick for the BB and headset, whew! All in an evening, and yes proper anti seize is on the list. I feel much better now...
Old 08-17-13, 06:37 AM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
Both english and italian BB's have right threading on the left side. Start there.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang