Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

LeMond Bicycles?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

LeMond Bicycles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-19, 05:20 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Team Lemond Frame

Originally Posted by Shrevvy
Here is my Lemond. I purchased this out of Reno. The seller was a nice guy that said this was owned by a local rider since new. He was a shop owner and was around when these bikes were sold new. He called this a 1988 Lemond Professional, although it only says Lemond on the frame. It is after the Team Lemond name was used, but still carries the same color scheme. It was said to be made by Scapin. I've read that Scapin did make some Lemond frames, but never found any way to identify it as such. I have seen similar seat stay caps on a Scapin frame though. The lugs are stamped with the Cinelli logo. This is pretty much full Campagnolo Super Record. Brake levers were said to be swapped for an aero model. There is some white touch up paint on the frame including a good bit of the bottom bracket. I don't see a serial number, but the touch up is thick on parts of the bottom bracket. I just took these pics in my garage. They are not the greatest quality, but any input would be helpful.
I'd heard that Scapin was one of the pre-Billato builders too.

Don't like being the bearer of bad news but there is a hairline crack in the shoreline of the BB.

I found a similar crack in my 1985 Raleigh 753 Team Pro right after I bought it back in 2010. I was sick....

I pulled the BB and cleaned everything inside and out then did an internal inspection to see if there were any cracks in the down tube. I took it to a frame builder friend and he said that it was probably a crack in the braze and that he could run a little bead of silver to fill it and could match the paint afterward.

He also suggested that I just ride it and keep track of the crack to see if it spreads.

I marked both ends of the crack with a Sharpie pen and I've been watching it ever since then. I don't ride that bike very often but it hasn't spread.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 03-22-19 at 05:26 AM.
Old 03-22-19, 05:40 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak

The Team Lemond were the earliest and not built by Billato. They were built by Carnielli or at least the Comp and Team models were. Most of the Pro models are attributed to Della Santa.
I recently found one of the Carnielli ones for sale, albeit with a broken rear drop out / derailleur hanger. Only $500 I had no idea Carnielli ever built Lemond frames, though this one is far from impressive-looking:

https://bakersfield.craigslist.org/b...830688185.html

Old 03-22-19, 06:48 AM
Shrevvy 

Bikes: 77 Trek TX900, 81.5 Trek 950, 83 Trek 970, 84 Schwinn Peloton, 88 Schwinn Premis, 85 Pinarello Montello, 88 Lemond Pro, more...

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
I'd heard that Scapin was one of the pre-Billato builders too.

Don't like being the bearer of bad news but there is a hairline crack in the shoreline of the BB.

verktyg
I think you are right. I did not see that before. I'll have to take a closer look this weekend. This is not my most ridden bike, but I do take it out. If not too bad, I'll mark it like you have and keep an eye on it.
Old 09-27-19, 09:22 PM
cycledog1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
calamarichriswhat kind of stem is on that white early lugged lemond?
Old 09-27-19, 10:37 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
Here is my contribution to the thread. TSX frame was a Xmas gift from my loving wife. I think it falls about 1992. Used the 8 speed Campag from a Lejeune frame. I am considering rebuilding it with 9 speed Shimano so I can put the Campag back on the Lejeune. So now I am regretting selling off the 9 speed Ultegra stuff I had. Oh well, the wheels on that set were blue and they would not have worked. LOL

I do like the ride.

DSCN2584 by L Travers, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Likes For CV-6:
Old 09-28-19, 07:34 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,989 Times in 1,777 Posts
^ Sweet

My TSX Maillot Juane is one of my top rides. I like how well it responds and how it seems to carry speed well even when I get tired.

I love the color of yours and those wheels.
Old 09-29-19, 04:37 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
Della Santa Greg Lemond Build Sheet.

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I love how Calfee cleverly snipped out the "Greg LeMond" decals on this contract frame to promote themselves.

Here's a January, 1990 build sheet for maybe the last frame that Roland Della Santa made for Greg Lemond. I had a chance to buy the frame from an LA Collector back in 2009.

I'd just bought two new 1991 Billato Team Z bikes with C-Record gruppos from the same collector. It would have cost about $700 to have Joe Bell paint the Della Santa frame. He painted the others. I had too many irons in the fire so I passed.

It was part of the last order of 12 or 13 Team Z frames Della Santa built for Lemond. He took all of them but the last one. It was unpainted but had the decals and documentation.

1990 was around the time that Della Santa had a falling out with the Lemonds over building production frames and bikes in Reno, NV. The frame work eventually ended up with Billato in Italy.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Last edited by verktyg; 09-29-19 at 04:46 AM.
Old 09-29-19, 03:11 PM
CV-6 
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
^ Sweet

My TSX Maillot Juane is one of my top rides. I like how well it responds and how it seems to carry speed well even when I get tired.

I love the color of yours and those wheels.
So you are confident mine is a Maillot Jaune?

And on another subject. Any thoughts on this?

Della Santa Team Frame?

Did CyclArt do the original paint?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 09-29-19, 06:02 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by CV-6
So you are confident mine is a Maillot Jaune?

]
Never confident on these as the documentation is so hard to come by. But it seems to be built like mine, it is TSX, and red was one of the few colors it came it according to one document I have.

Painted fork and the one chromed chainstay are a match too.

Here's a bunch of detailed pics:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/maillot_jaune

Last edited by jamesdak; 09-29-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-29-19, 07:00 PM
cycledog1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
I've built up 16 lemond frames over the years, the latest is a DS Team Lemond Pro #010 I bought a few months ago in 59cm. great shape, it had been owned by a racer that had a couple of team bikes, the other being a Billato Team bike. he liked this one more, but didn't know why as they both seemed to have the same geometry so the tubing and lugs,other things at play that Della Santa employed had to have been the difference. this one is only part of the way done, building it with a nice clean set of 6600 ultegra w/the 6600 compact crank to modernize a bit. Looking forward to riding it soon, comparing it to my '01 Zurich I just sold recently. the other to build is the 01 Maillot Jaune that made the Zurich expendable, as I liked the red/black paint scheme better than the blue/yellow color of the Zurich.

Old 09-29-19, 07:24 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
CD1, That is very, very nice!!!!!
Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 09-30-19, 06:06 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I really like riding my '97 Lemond Buenos Aires. I bought it for cheap on local CL, converted it to 650B x 38mm wheels w/ some homebrew chainstay dimpling, set it up with a Shimergo drivetrain and just have ridden the heck out of it in the last several years. One problem at the start, which might be getting worse, is that there might be a crack on the downtube coming from the water bottle braze ons. Here are a couple of photos from both sides, taken a couple of months ago:

I don't know how deep that crack goes or if it's propagated over the time I've had the bike, but now at least I have these pics for reference. I also picked up a Lemond Zurich frameset from around the same year, and the plan is to move all the component over to the Zurich when/if the Buenos Aires experiences catastrophic failure.
+1 on Lemond 650b. Set up a '99 BA with 650bx38mm and love the ride. Become my favored commuter. Other road bike is a 700c '05 ADH, same geometry but AC/DC vs 853. Might be some of the difference there too.
Old 09-30-19, 08:50 AM
shoff535

Bikes: Current Stable: 1973 Mercian Vincitore;1985 CIOCC Designer'84;1988 Raleigh "531c USA" ;1990 LeMond Maillot Jaune Z Team; 1991 Fuji Titanium;1996 Calfee LunaPro-Lemond Z team Tribute Replica; 2013 Wilier Zero.Seven

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg

BTW, the Della Santa built TeamZ frames had dark blue on top, yellow in the middle and red on the bottom.

verktyg
Not all the blue on top came from Della Santa. I have a Billato from TSDI with the same color scheme. I talked to Jim (forgot his last name) in California a year or so ago, sent him some pics and he said that the Billato frames were either painted in Florida at TSDI or by him in California at for the TSDI warehouse in Camarillo/ San Marcos. I'm the third owner of this bike and the guy I got it from said that it originally came from San Diego.

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that the ones with the red on top/yellow/blue on the bottom (Billatos) are from TSDI in Florida.....unless an original Calfee shows up somewhere

Last edited by shoff535; 09-30-19 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 08:53 AM
shoff535

Bikes: Current Stable: 1973 Mercian Vincitore;1985 CIOCC Designer'84;1988 Raleigh "531c USA" ;1990 LeMond Maillot Jaune Z Team; 1991 Fuji Titanium;1996 Calfee LunaPro-Lemond Z team Tribute Replica; 2013 Wilier Zero.Seven

Never confident on these as the documentation is so hard to come by. But it seems to be built like mine, it is TSX, and red was one of the few colors it came it according to one document I have.

Painted fork and the one chromed chainstay are a match too.

Here's a bunch of detailed pics:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/maillot_jaune

James,
these two images are great! Especially being documentation is hard to come by. Do you have any others, and is there any chance you can save (post) them as pdfs....

Thanks,
Steve
Old 09-30-19, 08:57 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,702 Times in 2,612 Posts
Originally Posted by AJI125
+1 on Lemond 650b. Set up a '99 BA with 650bx38mm and love the ride. Become my favored commuter. Other road bike is a 700c '05 ADH, same geometry but AC/DC vs 853. Might be some of the difference there too.
I did end up making that transfer of parts from the BA from to the Zurich frame, using the fork from the BA (the Zurich came to me with a CF fork) and had the whole thing powdercoated in a color close to the original BA red. Haven't sourced decals yet, however, so if anyone has any leads, let me know.

Old 09-30-19, 09:13 AM
AJI125 

Bikes: 1972 Fuji The Finest | 1990 Bianchi Giro | 1999 LeMond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I did end up making that transfer of parts from the BA from to the Zurich frame, using the fork from the BA (the Zurich came to me with a CF fork) and had the whole thing powdercoated in a color close to the original BA red. Haven't sourced decals yet, however, so if anyone has any leads, let me know.
Not having 10 posts can't post a direct link. Check out wanit <dot> co <dot> uk ; can be hard to navigate, but they have some stuff. I've either seen a list of options there for several generations/years of decals, or maybe another old-school website with different LeMond decals, but you'd need to do some checking and measuring to make sure they're the right ones given a certain model and year. I believe I saw someone from that site post on a forum about decals and offer to help, so emailing them if they have a contact thing on their site may be a good idea.

Edit: check under "Home > CYCLING DECALS > CLASSIC DECALS > USA" on Wanit, and scroll down to "LeMond" section 1/3 of the way down the page. Lots of options, but again make sure they match up to what you had.

Also VeloCals but their LeMond decal selection seems limited.

Do please post about your experience if you go down that route because I'm considering a powdercoat on my '99 BA (yellow with red decals, ST/DT on white panels)!

Last edited by AJI125; 09-30-19 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-30-19, 12:24 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by shoff535
James,
these two images are great! Especially being documentation is hard to come by. Do you have any others, and is there any chance you can save (post) them as pdfs....

Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

Sadly all I have are those images I saved from others...

The closest I have on actual documentation on the early Lemonds is a 1994 catalog that I've scanned and made available.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/1994_lemond_catalog

and this image:

Old 09-30-19, 01:43 PM
shoff535

Hi Steve,

Sadly all I have are those images I saved from others...

The closest I have on actual documentation on the early Lemonds is a 1994 catalog that I've scanned and made available.

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/1994_lemond_catalog

and this image:

James,

Thanks very much for posting the additional info.. much appreciated!
Old 09-30-19, 04:24 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I bought this 2003 Poprad one week ago from the original owner. He upgraded the original Sora components to Ultegra 6500, except the front derailleur. Also, the wheels to Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra hubs and had almost new Gatorskin 32mm on them. The frame/fork was powder coated last year. This is my first 853 Reynolds bike and it is a pleasure to ride. Much stiffer than my early 90's Ochsner with Aelle tubing. I am tickled to have this addition to my rides.
Rehoboth Beach, DE early Saturday morning, 56 miles of enjoyment.
Old 09-30-19, 04:32 PM
aceves 

Bikes: Lots, mostly Bianchi

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 55 Posts
Here is my step father-in-law's Billato-built Greg LeMond Le Vanquer. Don't mind the Bianchi saddle, it replaced a beat up one. Truly great machine!

aceves

Old 12-08-19, 02:26 PM
manuandorra

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Sworks + TVT92

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't own a Greg LeMond bike for the moment but I'm currently building a world championship 1989 bike replica. I will be glad to present as soon as I will finish !
Likes For manuandorra: