Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Any reason NOT to tour in roadie kit?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Any reason NOT to tour in roadie kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-15, 07:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
Black wool shorts, retro looking merino jersey, wool socks, merino sweater, cashmere tee shirt..
Sounds expensive but really functional. I had an old wool army surplus pullover--basically a double-weight long-sleeved wool T-shirt--and I would buy another in a heartbeat. As you say, even works as rain gear.
Old 11-04-15, 07:29 AM
RR3
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Sounds expensive but really functional. I had an old wool army surplus pullover--basically a double-weight long-sleeved wool T-shirt--and I would buy another in a heartbeat. As you say, even works as rain gear.
Depends upon your perspective. T shirt was $35, shorts $75, old sweaters can be bought cheap on e-Bay. The retro cycling jerseys are about $120. All of this is a fraction of my Assos stuff. I'd call it cheap.
Old 11-04-15, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Harder to Pee behind a roadside tree, wearing bibs , & No need for the Nascar like Ad festooned Pro replica Jersey

But other than that why Not? Just bring a second pair of shorts/bibs, so you have a Clean Pair in the Morning.
Old 11-04-15, 09:46 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Just keep in mind that there are some people who think that you will not be a real touring cyclist unless you have duct tape holding your 30 y.o. panniers together and are wearing a Bell V-I Pro helmet from the 70s, plain, cotton t-shirt, baggy shorts and white, cotton tube socks. These same people believe that a having long beard and eating peanut butter and bananas is mandatory if you want to be the real McCoy. Anything else and you are nothing but a member of the establishment whose mind is controlled by your marketing puppet masters.
Dude, are you stalking me?

I've got the beard, banana, bell helmet, duct tape and like peanut butter. 2015 - 1988... same helmet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img011.jpg (89.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Happy Feet; 11-04-15 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 10:28 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
That's what I was thinking. Why invest in tour specific riding gear if I already have road kits?
It's all I take with me. I don't take any street clothes with me at all. When I go in anywhere I go in wearing cycling clothes, jersey, shorts and cycling shoes, including cleats. If no one likes, tough crap! I keep the comfort up, by keeping the weight on the bike down. There's no reason to take along any street clothes. I will fess I did take a tshirt with me and did end up buy a pair of lightweight, unpadded cycling shorts at Walmart or wherever during the trip to put on when I would go into the laundrymat since I would normally drop off the clothes and head out to grab groceries or whatever while the clothes were washing. The only time I ever wore the other stuff was while doing laundry.
Old 11-04-15, 11:02 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reasons not to:
Wicking t shirts are lighter, pack smaller, dry faster and are more versatile for off the bike around town type stuff.
i find that I don't generally need the venting of a zipper or the pockets. I have plenty of storage on my bike. Jerseys are great when I'm on a go fast ride, but don't really make sense for touring.

I do wear mountain bike shorts and shoes. Zoic shorts and pearl Izumi or shimano shoes are favorites of mine, along with Patagonia and smart wool t shirts.

Last edited by psy; 11-04-15 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 11:27 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
Reasons not to:
Wicking t shirts are lighter, pack smaller, dry faster and are more versatile for off the bike around town type stuff.
i find that I don't generally need the venting of a zipper or the pockets. I have plenty of storage on my bike. Jerseys are great when I'm on a go fast ride, but don't really make sense for touring.

I do wear mountain bike shorts and shoes. Zoic shorts and pearl Izumi or shimano shoes are favorites of mine, along with Patagonia and smart wool t shirts.
Pretty similar to me - I own road jerseys but I don't usually bother with them when touring. I also don't really care for bibs when I tour as I find them inconvenient and they don't pack up as small as shorts. I'll bring both road & mountain bike shorts, and I bring some chamois liners for the mountain bike shorts so I've always got a clean chamois to put on no matter what I'm wearing.

The mountain bike shorts are kind of nice because they double as street clothes.
Old 11-04-15, 11:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by psy
Reasons not to:

Considering that bicycle jerseys are made of the same material as a wicking t-shirt and work the same, how can a t-shirt be better? Personally, I find the ability to vent a jersey by unzipping it to be a necessary function for riding. And the pockets come in handy for some items. I don't use them a lot but they are handy.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-04-15, 11:46 AM
psy

Bikes: Salsa Fargo commuter,Litespeed Ocoee titanium mountain bike cannondale caad9 105 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are better ( to me) for the reasons I stated above, weight, pack size and versatility. Others, such as yourself, may feel the pockets and zippers and looking like a biker all the time are a good trade offs, I personally don't.
A light weight Patagonia t shirt keeps me nice and cool and when I'm wearing a jersey on tour the only thing the pockets ever end up holding is trash. Plus it looks "better" off the bike.

All my clothes look pretty normal off the bike, but are also extremely comfortable on it.

*Im in no way "anti-jersey", I own many, I just feel like they are designed for bikes with little to no storage, and my touring bike has plenty.

Last edited by psy; 11-04-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 12:09 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Cycling jerseys and tech t-shirts are a wash---neither one packs noticeably smaller or works noticeably differently. In fact, I got some t-shirts from Nashbar made out of exactly the same material as their jerseys, with a zip-up pocket on the back---look like t-shirts, work like jerseys. I like them because I hate to leave my essentials anywhere but on my person--I can lose everything--bike, bags--but I have never lost myself, so I always have my wallet and keys.

Personal choice, nothing more or less.

As for what "looks better"---I am so handsome I look good no matter what I wear. Seriously, everyone thinks something else looks "better" and no one much agrees with anyone else. In any crowd looking at you no one will agree on what you should wear ... and after 20 seconds, they are all lost in their smartphones and have forgotten about you anyway. They don't care, why should I?
Old 11-04-15, 12:38 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
It's all I take with me. I don't take any street clothes with me at all. When I go in anywhere I go in wearing cycling clothes, jersey, shorts and cycling shoes, including cleats. If no one likes, tough crap! I keep the comfort up, by keeping the weight on the bike down. There's no reason to take along any street clothes. I will fess I did take a tshirt with me and did end up buy a pair of lightweight, unpadded cycling shorts at Walmart or wherever during the trip to put on when I would go into the laundrymat since I would normally drop off the clothes and head out to grab groceries or whatever while the clothes were washing. The only time I ever wore the other stuff was while doing laundry.
Be careful, I've had clothes stolen before. I keep one eyeball on the washer and dryer now.
Old 11-04-15, 01:04 PM
psy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycling jerseys and tech t-shirts are a wash---neither one packs noticeably smaller or works noticeably differently. In fact, I got some t-shirts from Nashbar made out of exactly the same material as their jerseys, with a zip-up pocket on the back---look like t-shirts, work like jerseys. I like them because I hate to leave my essentials anywhere but on my person--I can lose everything--bike, bags--but I have never lost myself, so I always have my wallet and keys.

Personal choice, nothing more or less.

As for what "looks better"---I am so handsome I look good no matter what I wear. Seriously, everyone thinks something else looks "better" and no one much agrees with anyone else. In any crowd looking at you no one will agree on what you should wear ... and after 20 seconds, they are all lost in their smartphones and have forgotten about you anyway. They don't care, why should I?
I disagree, I feel like jersey material in general, though similar, is usually slightly thicker, the fits a bit more "aero" than I need for touring, plus I tend sweat more, specifically in the areas were jersey pockets and zippers are(obviously double material and thick seams). I also have mountain bike jerseys (fox, others) that look like t shirts with zippered pockets, again they are overall thicker, heavier and not as comfortable as a smartwool or Patagonia tees.

The pack and weight differences though small, are there. i think I save about 150 grams or so by going t shirts vs jerseys (I usually carry three). Not huge, but still.

Bottom line is, overall your right, these are MY personal preferences and that is all.
Old 11-04-15, 01:20 PM
NeilGunton
Crazyguyonabike

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I mean I already have the jerseys and bib shorts. I've already ridden in them for over 4,300 miles this year including much further distances in a day than I'll do on this tour.

Weather permitting, is there any reason not to wear the same cycling clothing on a 4-day, self-supported ~250 mile tour on a loaded touring bike?
Back in 1998 I did my TransAm (3 months, ~5000 miles) with pretty much just my cycling gear. Not sure if it's technically "roadie kit", but it was Pearl Izumi padded shorts and "screaming yellow" short sleeved jerseys. I think I had maybe three pairs of shorts, a few of the jerseys, and a pair of loose swim shorts for when I had to do laundry. I also had a wool long sleeved top, and rain jacket, but not much else. I think I initially had off-bike clothes, but sent a bunch of stuff home as soon as I hit the mountains in Virginia. Also sent the stove crap home. Continued on with just my bike clothes for three months, and it was fine. Actually I found it was better than having "off bike" clothes, because it meant that people were always aware of "what" I was - a cyclist, vs some random dude, and it was a conversation starter. Even going to the movie theater, I just wore my cycling stuff, and nobody really seemed to notice or care. For food, I also realized that all I really needed was a bowl and a spoon, for cereal in the morning, so I picked those up when I sent the other crap home, I think it was in Afton, VA.

No reason at all why you can't just take cycling clothes, though I would add the proviso that you might need cooler weather clothing depending on where you are going, and time of year. Altitude can make things much colder, as can rain etc. But I was on a summer ride across the USA, hot most of the time, so it was pretty ok to just have a wool top, tights and rain jacket.
Old 11-04-15, 01:53 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bandera
The "same" kit?
Other than saddle sores and a powerful reek?
Clean shorts/jersey at least daily, this is easy to do w/ two pair. A dry/clean pair should packed in case of rain anyway.

-Bandera
Change when you decide it's time. I go a few days on a pair of shorts/jersey. Saddle sores?? I only pack one pair too. Not sure why you need spares for rain. If they're wet when I camp I'll sleep with them and they're OK in the morning. Maybe not "dry" but good enough.
Old 11-04-15, 03:46 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
More than one Pair washed along with your skin, to knock back the Bacteria that lay on your skin

and can Make those puss filled carbuncles .
Old 11-04-15, 04:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I prefer to make sure my jersey is visually striking. Some roadie kits are dark, some are bright. I prefer to be visible.

People's skin sensitivity varies. I'm one of those who needs to get out of the shorts and clean down there as soon as possible, and wear clean shorts every day. Saddle sores are no fun, and they've ended some people's tours. Ergo, I take off-bike clothes.

But on the bike? For hours of daily cycling, I can think of no reason to wear anything less than bike shorts. When you go into a store, diner, etc., look people in the eye. They'll look back.
Old 11-04-15, 05:00 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
People's skin sensitivity varies. I'm one of those who needs to get out of the shorts and clean down there as soon as possible, and wear clean shorts every day. Saddle sores are no fun, and they've ended some people's tours. Ergo, I take off-bike clothes.
For me, for avoiding saddle sores two things are key.
  1. Getting out of my bike shorts and airing out down there once in camp for the evening and overnight. I take a pair of running shorts for that purpose (Nike DriFit, 5" inseam, about 4 oz.)
  2. Application of zinc oxide diaper cream worn over night works wonders and I use it at the first sign of chafing. Any irritation is gone in the morning.

I typically only take one pair of bike shorts and they sometimes go a few days without washing. I don't find that to be a problem. BTW, when it comes to killing anything that might be growing in the chamois turning them inside out and laying them out in the sun for an hour is probably as effective as laundering wrt killing anything that grows there.
Old 11-04-15, 05:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
.. I could wear a tuxedo; people would still probably find me objectionable. At least if I am in biking shorts people understand that it is exercise, not general bad hygiene.

; )
Old 11-04-15, 05:24 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes

; )
I used to work with someone that had a tee shirt with printing to make it look like a tux. But, it was pretty obvious it was a tee shirt.
Old 11-04-15, 06:24 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Change when you decide it's time. I go a few days on a pair of shorts/jersey. Saddle sores?? I only pack one pair too. Not sure why you need spares for rain. If they're wet when I camp I'll sleep with them and they're OK in the morning. Maybe not "dry" but good enough.
Personal hygiene and the maintenance of clean kit was emphasized "back when" by my 1st coach in the days of wool shorts w/ natural chamois leather liners to prevent saddle sores for high mileage riders out in all conditions. A simple and effective policy that is much easier to maintain w/ modern synthetic kit and wet wipes today.

If not changing into dry kit when rain abates or sleeping in the day's moist stinking riding clothes instead of cleaning up and donning camp attire is your idea of "good enough" it falls far short of mine.

As always, suit yourself.

-Bandera
Old 11-04-15, 07:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I used to work with someone that had a tee shirt with printing to make it look like a tux. But, it was pretty obvious it was a tee shirt.
That is what we call a classy co-worker! Only a certain few can go out and get a tuxedo t-shirt, a very rare, elite breed of only the top echelons of society ; )
Old 11-04-15, 09:12 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
Black wool shorts, retro looking merino jersey, wool socks, merino sweater, cashmere tee shirt.

Wool takes a long time to develop stinky odors and is warm when wet.
Wool is the new polypropylene eh? Seems intuitive that plastic clothing would resist microbe growth better but turns out not so. Reminds me of a study about food cutting boards--people/restaurants use plastic avoid bacterial contamination but actually the porous wooden cutting boards had less bug growth. I'm using the Smartwool socks that are working great incl resisting smell.

In re OP I think racing clothes are a good choice for touring esp if one is already used to certain brands/models. Using new clothing on long rides can prove painful. Personally I usually prefer non-clingy shorts w/pockets but race-type shorts have the absolute edge for comfort.
Old 11-05-15, 01:01 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
More than one Pair washed along with your skin, to knock back the Bacteria that lay on your skin

and can Make those puss filled carbuncles .
For this reason I don't take cycle shorts with me on tour.
They simply take up too much room in the panniers compared to 5 pairs of clean underwear and normal shorts.
There can be many days between towns and opportunities to wash here abouts and i like clean underwear everyday.
I take nylon or wool shirts but rarely cotton and then only in summer.
Old 11-05-15, 03:50 AM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I mean I already have the jerseys and bib shorts. I've already ridden in them for over 4,300 miles this year including much further distances in a day than I'll do on this tour.

Weather permitting, is there any reason not to wear the same cycling clothing on a 4-day, self-supported ~250 mile tour on a loaded touring bike?
no.
Old 11-05-15, 03:57 AM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikenh
Glad I'm not the only one. Basketball shorts to wear over your cycling shorts if you need to stop in a store? No one gives a **** if you're in spandex, lol. Most people will either ignore you or ask about your biking trip. I have never, ever had someone remotely imply that they would consider denying me service at a restaurant because I walked in wearing shorts and a jersey. Then again when I tour I'm not dining on 30$ steaks at the end of the day, I'm going to some blue collar food truck or grabbing a sub to go.

My last tour I brought a dri fit T and basketball shorts to sleep in. Ended up mailing them back home because I just didn't need them.

Originally Posted by rifraf
For this reason I don't take cycle shorts with me on tour.
They simply take up too much room in the panniers compared to 5 pairs of clean underwear and normal shorts.
There can be many days between towns and opportunities to wash here abouts and i like clean underwear everyday.
I take nylon or wool shirts but rarely cotton and then only in summer.

Sink / water fountain / spigot + liquid soap = clean cycling shorts. No reason to bring more than 2 pairs IMO.

Last edited by Buffalo Buff; 11-05-15 at 04:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.