Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-bike chains

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

e-bike chains

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-19, 01:10 PM
Telkwa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
e-bike chains

I blew up a chain on my mid-drive e-bike at about 1200 miles. Replaced it with plain old SRAM 1051. Paying more attention to chain mtc. since then.

At least one manufacturer (KMC) is marketing a line of e-bike specific chains. I'm wondering if there's any real advantage to buying chain that's marketed as e-bike specific. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-01-19, 06:59 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I replace my chain on my mid driver at about 1500 miles. My mechanic could tell that I ride a lot. My mechanic stated that next time he wants to replace the chain and casette.

Last edited by alloo; 11-02-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 10:30 PM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The added torque on mid-drive chains tends to stretch them with indications around 800 miles. Stretch increases the roller spacing which eats sprocket teeth. New chain will not run against worn sprockets properly, you'll just get accelerated wear. Too much stretch requires replacement of both chain and sprockets. Don't wait too long to replace chain.

Get one of these chain measuring widgets

Ebike specific chain takes longer to stretch.

Last edited by slomoshun; 11-01-19 at 10:33 PM.
Likes For slomoshun:
Old 11-02-19, 08:19 AM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Sounds like replacing the cheaper chain more frequently than when it's worn will help extend the life of the cassette.
Old 11-02-19, 08:23 AM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I picked up a Park chain checker. The CC 3.2. The chain that broke was still within .5%. My wife's was at .75%. Replaced hers too.

So, slomoshun, have you tried some e-bike chain? Do you think it's worth the extra expense?
Old 11-07-19, 08:45 AM
Telkwa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hmmm, crickets.
I bought two more lengths of SRAM PC1051, and two lengths of KMC x10e. I've got everything I need for chain cleaning and lubrication. Our ride is almost always the same route and distance, and I started a maintenance record in a 3-ring binder.
Maybe in a few months I'll post back with results.
Old 11-07-19, 08:57 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
One thing to consider before purchasing a new chain for ebike..... how many links do you need? The Sram PC-1051 comes with 114 links. KMC 10.93 chains come with 116 links. KMC ebike chains come with 136 links. Ebikes tend to need longer chains. Measure first.
Old 11-08-19, 01:35 PM
Frankenbike27

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I know you can buy many titanium parts for a bike, does anyone make a titanium chain? Mine is a cheap setup, motor on frame and gear on the rear rim, it has a 12 tooth gear on the motor and 16 teeth on the rim. i use a custom length KMC and made my own tensioner, worked well all summer. the issue, i changed the rear gear over to 28 tooth for winter, i have to be careful not to give it to much gas or the front wheel comes up (24 volt 450 watt motor) i am seriously worried about my chain, keep a spare one with me. i would love an answer to this also
Old 11-08-19, 02:00 PM
fly135

Bikes: iZip E3 Peak DS, Magnum Metro, GT Tachyon, K2 Sidewinder

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbike27
I know you can buy many titanium parts for a bike, does anyone make a titanium chain? Mine is a cheap setup, motor on frame and gear on the rear rim, it has a 12 tooth gear on the motor and 16 teeth on the rim. i use a custom length KMC and made my own tensioner, worked well all summer. the issue, i changed the rear gear over to 28 tooth for winter, i have to be careful not to give it to much gas or the front wheel comes up (24 volt 450 watt motor) i am seriously worried about my chain, keep a spare one with me. i would love an answer to this also
Don't know much about different chain materials, but your question suggests that you are more concerned about the chain after switching the rear gear. The tension on the chain should be the same. It's the extra leverage of the sprocket that makes for the wheelies.
Old 11-08-19, 02:28 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Never heard of a Ti chain, but Wipperman used to make a stainless steel one. Don't know whether it was stronger though.