Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tall Toe Box

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tall Toe Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-20, 01:45 PM
MJBumpy4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tall Toe Box

Having a hard time finding a shoe with a taller toe box to accommodate thicker insoles. Wore Shimano RP5 the past two years but experienced toe numbness on longer rides (70-100 miles). Purchased some Northwave Extreme GTs - they seem to provide a little bit more room but toe still rubs with aftermarket insoles. Appreciate any brand recommendations that may provide a little extra room in the toe box.
Likes For MJBumpy4:
Old 05-11-20, 01:57 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Most of the manufacturers that have "Wide" versions (Giro HV, Sidi Mega, Shimano Wide, etc) are actually the same width but with more generous uppers - it might be worth trying some out.
Old 05-11-20, 02:54 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Specialized has a pretty roomy toe box. I have the S-Works 7 and even with 3mm of internal wedges, and increased arch support, my toes still have plenty of room.
Likes For melikebikey35:
Old 05-11-20, 02:55 PM
MJBumpy4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Most of the manufacturers that have "Wide" versions (Giro HV, Sidi Mega, Shimano Wide, etc) are actually the same width but with more generous uppers - it might be worth trying some out.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-20, 04:01 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I thought Sidi Mega add 4 millimeters to their Mega sole?
Old 05-11-20, 04:11 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I thought Sidi Mega add 4 millimeters to their Mega sole?
To the sole? No. It's spillover volume.

​​​​​​​MEGA shoes from Sidi cater to the high-volume crowd, as opposed to those seeking more forefoot space.
Old 05-11-20, 06:39 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
look into lakes shoes
Likes For bigd777:
Old 05-11-20, 10:33 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
To the sole? No. It's spillover volume.
Yes, I have seen that, but I have seen this on more than one description of Sidi Mega shoes.

SIDI has designed its range of Mega range of shoes for those who need extra volume.

The Mega range has 4mm of extra width across the ball of the foot which translates to an EE-EEE width (wide/extra wide). The heel cup is also wider and there's a higher instep.
I have had several pair of the Mega in the vented, which is now discontinued, and Millennium sole. It has been so long since I had a regular pair of Sidi shoes on, I can’t remember how they fit exactly. They definitely have more volume than the standard Sidi shoes. Mega would probably be considered a standard size for other companies.
Old 05-11-20, 11:41 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Northwave wide are wide with a nice toebox, so are Lake. I also have a Shimano EE (I think it is called, at any rate it is the Shimano wide version) and that is good too. Also, why not try just half a size up? I probably am half a size too large on mine, especially for my right foot that is smaller than the left, but even there by now I have no issue. At first tightening the BOA system so that the shoe was tight enough to make up for the fact that it is large for my foot, hurt my foot, but by now the foot is used to it and I have no issues with it.

Tried Sidi wide and it was useless. Tried one other brand wide as well and that also was useless but forgot which one.
Old 05-12-20, 07:53 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Of all the wide options, I think Lake are the best. Lake also has a nice chart indicating how long and wide each shoe is - Lake offers two or three different lasts with different fits.

I find that Shimano and Sidi tend to just give you a bigger shoe. So, a 44 wide is more like a 45. I didn't need the extra length too, just the extra width. Specialized is hit or miss. Some are truly wider, some are just bigger.

But if you're really having problems, go custom. I have three pairs of Riivos - two semi-custom and one full-custom. They were worth every penny. (Yes, custom cycling shoes are expensive, but I ride 500 hours a year ~10 hours a week. I want my feet to be comfortable all that time.)

Last edited by topflightpro; 05-12-20 at 07:59 AM.