Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Extremely stuck pedal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Extremely stuck pedal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 12:22 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Extremely stuck pedal

I have a pedal totally stuck to the crank arm. It only has an Allen socket and no flats for a wrench. It wouldn't give way, so I used an Allen key with an extension and the threads stripped.

No big deal I thought, as I didn't care about destroying the pedal. I proceded to strip the pedal to the axle and stuck the axle on a bench. It slipped every time. Then I used a torch on the crank, and nothing. It wouldn't move.

And finally, after an hour of unsuccessful efforts, this happened:

Any option left to salvage the cranks instead of buying new ones?
Old 05-26-20, 12:32 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Cast iron/steel does that. Cheaper more so than better quality alloys and pours. But all castings can do that when stressed enough.
Old 05-26-20, 01:17 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
I'm sorry you haven't had any luck and that I don't have any advice. I've dealt with stuck pedals in the past. Not too long ago I learned about pedal washers, and still wonder why they're not standard on every single pedal/crank assembly.
Old 05-26-20, 01:19 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Were you able to take the crank arm off of the bike? Most people don’t think of putting the tool in the vise and putting force on the part, but it usually works best.

I see a wood handle in the photo. Is that from a hammer? Did that play a part in the destruction of the vise?

Modern vises have improved over the cheap cast versions. Yost and Capri both have forged vises in the 150 USD range, but I don’t know what is available in Catalunya.
Old 05-26-20, 01:33 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Were you able to take the crank arm off of the bike? Most people don’t think of putting the tool in the vise and putting force on the part, but it usually works best.

I see a wood handle in the photo. Is that from a hammer? Did that play a part in the destruction of the vise?

Modern vises have improved over the cheap cast versions. Yost and Capri both have forged vises in the 150 USD range, but I don’t know what is available in Catalunya.
Yes, I took both cranks off the bike. I couldn't put the tool in the vise since the pedal Allen socket was rounded from previous tries. What I did was use the length of both cranks as a lever, but the pedal slipped no matter how tight the vise was.

I used the hammer to hit the pedal spindle in hope of freeing it, but had no luck.

There are good vises available here, however I'm frustrated, as I was going to sell this bike for 250€ to my uncle and it seems it's going to cost me half that to get it working again. In fact I was removing the pedals because my uncle wanted flat pedals instead of clipless.

I'm going to try bringing it to the LBS tomorrow and hope for the best. 😔
Old 05-26-20, 01:41 PM
aggiegrads

If you have a grinder, it might help to bring flats into the spindle so that it can be held in a vise better.

Bona sort.
Old 05-26-20, 01:52 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
You can also try a penetrating oil to loosen up the parts. It’s a cheap try.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 05-26-20, 01:54 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Just to be sure, you are turning it in the correct direction? A couple things to try. Put the crank arm in the freezer for about 3 hours and then pour some boiling water on the crank surrounding the axle and if you have a plumbers pipe wrench you should be able to get enough grip to turn it. Since you're OK with using a torch this may be better but the hot water is safer. This may help just a little to break it loose. Also you could try drilling out the axle with a drill bit just big enough not to hit the threaded exterior of the axle. Very good chance that it would work to make it break loose.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-26-20, 02:03 PM
mikeread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 23 Posts
I had this problem once years ago, nothing would shift the pedal spindle and the hex had rounded out.

I got a mate to weld a large nut onto the pedal spindle (pedal was scrap anyway) and with a large spanner and pipe and the crank in a sturdy padded vice we loosened it off. Once the seal was broken it screwed out easy by hand.

Make sure you are turning it the correct way, it can be confusing when you are working from the back and you have to account for LH or RH threads on each side.
Old 05-26-20, 02:06 PM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Just to be sure, you are turning it in the correct direction? .
Very important detail!
Likes For MudPie:
Old 05-26-20, 02:06 PM
Amt0571

If you have a grinder, it might help to bring flats into the spindle so that it can be held in a vise better.

Bona sort.
Don't have a grinder unfortunately. But your "Bona sort" made me happy. Didn't expect it here. Do you speak catalan?
Old 05-26-20, 02:09 PM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by MudPie
You can also try a penetrating oil to loosen up the parts. It’s a cheap try.
Yes. Did that too.

Just to be sure, you are turning it in the correct direction? A couple things to try. Put the crank arm in the freezer for about 3 hours and then pour some boiling water on the crank surrounding the axle and if you have a plumbers pipe wrench you should be able to get enough grip to turn it. Since you're OK with using a torch this may be better but the hot water is safer. This may help just a little to break it loose. Also you could try drilling out the axle with a drill bit just big enough not to hit the threaded exterior of the axle. Very good chance that it would work to make it break loose.
I'll try the freezer thing.

Oh, and yes, I'm turning it in the correct direction. Right is right, and left is wrong.
Old 05-26-20, 02:13 PM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by mikeread
I had this problem once years ago, nothing would shift the pedal spindle and the hex had rounded out.

I got a mate to weld a large nut onto the pedal spindle (pedal was scrap anyway) and with a large spanner and pipe and the crank in a sturdy padded vice we loosened it off. Once the seal was broken it screwed out easy by hand.

Make sure you are turning it the correct way, it can be confusing when you are working from the back and you have to account for LH or RH threads on each side.
That's a good idea. I'll look for someone who can solder.
Old 05-26-20, 02:21 PM
aggiegrads

Originally Posted by Amt0571
Don't have a grinder unfortunately. But your "Bona sort" made me happy. Didn't expect it here. Do you speak catalan?
No, I wish I spoke more. We have a friend who has a house in Sitges and I have been there several times. I love that part of the world.
Old 05-26-20, 02:24 PM
Amt0571

No, I wish I spoke more. We have a friend who has a house in Sitges and I have been there several times. I love that part of the world.
This world is small. I live half an hour from Sitges 😉
Old 05-26-20, 02:33 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
I'm sorry you haven't had any luck and that I don't have any advice. I've dealt with stuck pedals in the past. Not too long ago I learned about pedal washers, and still wonder why they're not standard on every single pedal/crank assembly.
I use stainless pedal washers and Tef-Gel on all of my pedals and other dissimilar metal joints; saves a lot of cursing and tears.
Old 05-26-20, 02:33 PM
aggiegrads

In Barcelona or SW of Sitges? We loved Tarragona, and my grandmother’s family is from Reus.
Old 05-26-20, 03:23 PM
Amt0571

In Barcelona or SW of Sitges? We loved Tarragona, and my grandmother’s family is from Reus.
Neither. I live in Gelida. Inland between Sitges and Barcelona. Tarragona is really nice.
Old 05-26-20, 03:27 PM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I use stainless pedal washers and Tef-Gel on all of my pedals and other dissimilar metal joints; saves a lot of cursing and tears.
I only ever used pedal washers in my SRAM rival cranks, as they came with them. Never had a pedal size this bad however.

First time I removed pedals I had a similar issue with this cranks, but I managed to unscrew it in less than half an hour with the vise. Maybe it's something particular with truvativ stylo cranks. Surprisingly both times happened at the DS pedal.
Old 05-26-20, 04:06 PM
number1bike

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity 1975, Mongoose Threshold 1995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I had two stuck petals a month back.

What I did was took the crank arms off the bike with the petals and liberal use of penetrating oil. Put the crank arm in the vise parallel to the vice jaws, with the petal sticking up. Brace the vice jaws so that the vise's job was to just hold the crank firm and the vice cannot turn. Next, disassembled the petal so that just the axle of the petal is sticking up. Last, with a 36" pipe wrench and 48" cheater pipe over the pipe wrench handle, get the pipe wrench to dig into the axle just above where the inner bearings ride [make sure nobody is behind you when you start pulling].

One of two things will happen. Either the axle will turn or the axle will snap. I got lucky, the axle turned in both cases and just had to rebuild the pedals.
Old 05-26-20, 04:23 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
Oh, and yes, I'm turning it in the correct direction. Right is right, and left is wrong.
Well, not exactly. Left is right on the left (non drive side) pedal.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 05-26-20, 04:27 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Just to be sure, you are turning it in the correct direction?
Just to be clear...... The above is NOT sarcasm.

One pedal is Right Hand threaded, the other pedal is Left Hand threaded.

The Non-Drive side pedal is extracted by turning it CLOCKWISE when viewed from the Pedal Side.
IF you are using a HEX wrench in the BACK side of the non-drive side arm, that becomes ANTICLOCKWISE

AND if you place the pedal shaft in a vice (assuming you still had a vice) you pull the non-drive side crank arm CLOCKWISE.

All the best

Barry
Old 05-26-20, 11:46 PM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by Barry2
Just to be clear...... The above is NOT sarcasm.

One pedal is Right Hand threaded, the other pedal is Left Hand threaded.

The Non-Drive side pedal is extracted by turning it CLOCKWISE when viewed from the Pedal Side.
IF you are using a HEX wrench in the BACK side of the non-drive side arm, that becomes ANTICLOCKWISE

AND if you place the pedal shaft in a vice (assuming you still had a vice) you pull the non-drive side crank arm CLOCKWISE.

All the best

Barry
I know it's not sarcasm and it's a common mistake with pedals. I was really turning in the correct direction.
Old 05-27-20, 01:42 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
That's a good idea. I'll look for someone who can solder.
There is a big difference between soldering and welding

Old 05-27-20, 01:52 AM
Amt0571

Originally Posted by JoeTBM
There is a big difference between soldering and welding
Sorry, I understood what you said (and know the difference). I'm not a native english speaker and in my mother tongue "weld" is "soldar". My fault!
Likes For Amt0571:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.