Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 09:12 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Lost some volume to a work trip to France.
Looks awesome! I was overseas recently and it was awesome being able to be so close to good climbing, as the closest I have here is about 50miles away by bike, versus about 15mins by bike when I was abroad. I could easily just train on that mountain, 40ish minute intervals all the time (the KOM is 24 mins, I can't even imagine) https://www.strava.com/segments/7618775?filter=overall
Old 08-03-18, 11:23 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
I was working in Nancy, about 3 1/2 hours east of Paris or 1 hour south of Luxembourg.

When I say an 1100 VAM, we're not talking for an hour or something crazy. I think the longest I managed that was about 10 minutes. The Cat 2 climb (Trois Epis?) took me 23min and averaged 170bpm. I left the race bike with meter at home. So, just a HRM and RPE. That's hoofin it for me. The last 2min or so I grabbed a couple gears and got out of the saddle to show off for the other tourists and the car full of French yahoos who rolled the window down to provide some encouragement and honk the horn.

Back to the real world now.........

I decided to fuel up properly and get back into some work today. 3x8min and then some short power intervals at the end (2min 320w, 2x1min at 400w). For the stuff after the 3x8min I turned off Pandora and put on some old climbing footage on Youtube.

Having the energy for the workout meant I could stuff the pain and do it. The second 1min at 400w I'd have bitten a towel if I didn't have to breath. I know you boys and girls in here are often on another planet for what you do, but we're digging deep for what I can handle.

Apparently I'm being recruited to ride the bike leg of a 1/2 Ironman relay team. I've got all the kit from doing time trialling. That'll be an experience. I've done a personal 25 mile TT just for ****s n giggles, but not a 50 (what's another 6mi at that point, ammi right?).
Old 08-03-18, 12:48 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I do not understand the hard day comment. How do you know a hard day is hard without setting a goal to make it what you think is hard?
You kinda answered it. For example, Saturday will be a scheduled 'big day' but with no plan other than to get 120+ TSS I'll just ride long and easyish. It might help, but it doesn't help like actual structure would.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Time to regain some structure though. I want to hit an honest 20 min at 300w by year end. I've done it for 8 min recently on the trainer. So I know with executing another plan I should be able to.
Good luck hitting 300! Hopefully we both hit it.
Old 08-03-18, 04:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
You kinda answered it. For example, Saturday will be a scheduled 'big day' but with no plan other than to get 120+ TSS I'll just ride long and easyish. It might help, but it doesn't help like actual structure would.

Good luck hitting 300! Hopefully we both hit it.
Got it. I think of workouts with respect to my power curve and upcoming races. Where do I need improvement/focus?

Today was a track workout at SD Velodrome. Warmup, jumps and then 3x4flying laps with 15' RBI. My best effort was 145% FTP. The last effort was a full power standing start.
Old 08-03-18, 09:33 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Helped set up the course for the mtb then did a couple of hotlaps. Gonna be a fun one with altitude playing a huge part. Tops out over 9k feet.
Old 08-05-18, 11:58 AM
hubcyclist

did 5x6mins with alternating 120% and 88%, finally did it with erg mode turned off and it was definitely a lot easier to have erg mode off
Old 08-05-18, 12:17 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I think I set a new PR of sorts...CTL is 110, ATL is 146. Getting ready for LOTOJA.

Next week is recovery, then driving to Colorado Springs for five days vacation/altitude training. Day Two will be Pikes Peak, aka Hypoxia 101.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-05-18, 04:59 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2615 Post(s)
Liked 3,129 Times in 1,645 Posts
GL @revchuck!

I just got back from Big Bear, arrived Friday morning. Did a ****load of MTB, N shore, Cougar Crest, Hanna Flat, S shore Bike Park (Snow Summit) and Skyline. My Friday ride was like 5+ hrs with tons of climbing on both sides of the lake. Thanks for the route suggestions @Heathpack!

Drank beer and wine, ate tons of food and relaxed in a hot tub during the evenings. Went on a few evening walks in the hood surrounding our cabin b/c it was really nice out. Stoked!
Old 08-05-18, 05:18 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
GL @revchuck!

I just got back from Big Bear, arrived Friday morning. Did a ****load of MTB, N shore, Cougar Crest, Hanna Flat, S shore Bike Park (Snow Summit) and Skyline. My Friday ride was like 5+ hrs with tons of climbing on both sides of the lake. Thanks for the route suggestions @Heathpack!

Drank beer and wine, ate tons of food and relaxed in a hot tub during the evenings. Went on a few evening walks in the hood surrounding our cabin b/c it was really nice out. Stoked!
sweet, I am in the car on the way back from Big Bear myself.

Fri I rode solo in the bike park, which I didn’t like much. Green trail was nice but not worth paying money to ride. Blue trail was too steep and loose to feel fun to me. So I said F this and took the lift up and left the park. Wound up wandering around on the mountain, Skyline west from the lifts, down Plantation, then back on Skyline. Got lost and got spit out into town but that was ok, our friends whose cabin we were staying at had arrived and I was due back, my role is chef and it was getting to be dinner time.

Sat we rode up Fern (first time I’ve never put a foot down for technical reasons on that trail, I know it’s technically pretty easy but it’s the combo of steep plus root or steep plus rock garden get me typically), then the entirety of Skyline. 18.5 miles of single track, sweet ride. PRed the eastern half of Skyline, didn’t set a foot down on the middle section, rode the western (more difficult section) for the first time. Great ride.

Today we rode up the fireroad from Fawnskin to Hanna Flats. That’s such a sweet trail. If it were up to me, we’d have gone up to Greys Peak today. My friends had stuff to get done at the cabin though. Coming into Grout Bay, at the bottom of the trail, right after the super tight steep left switchback, there’s a bouldery section. I walked it today but looked at the lines and decided I can actually ride it. Still not sure I can make the switchback but I can ride the boulders eventually, I sure of it. That’s how it goes with me: first I think ‘I could never ride that’, then I think ‘I could probably ride that’, then I ride it.

Plus dog walking/hiking, mojito drinking, hanging out. Great weekend for us too.

I think we may be heading up to Big Bear the next two weekends, looking forward to it. Lots of mountain biking.
Old 08-05-18, 05:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Good stuff! I didn't check out the Grey Peak add-on, will have to do next time. Hanna Flat/Grout Bay is indeed a great ride.
Old 08-05-18, 07:00 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

@revchuck Beast mode.
@Heathpack and @TMonk Your mountain bike riding and training reports make my mountain bike juices flow. Do not ask me what that means.

Saturday and Sunday were a repeat of last weekend with Sat VO2 efforts and Sun an endurance ride through Camp Pendleton and the state park. Last week a bobcat raced across the bike path next to I5 and today as we turned to go through the tunnel, a tank entered first coming the other direction. We yielded to the tank. In total, there were 7 tanks in the group and we waved to the marines and of course the waved back and signaled to us how many more tanks were coming. Our military personnel are the best.
Old 08-05-18, 10:01 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
Good stuff! I didn't check out the Grey Peak add-on, will have to do next time. Hanna Flat/Grout Bay is indeed a great ride.
Next weekend there is a GGR women’s mtb weekend up in Big Bear. I wasn’t planning on it because it will mean 4 consecutive mtb weekends for me, that always seems to leave my life disorganized. But what the heck, I wanna go next weekend so I’m gonna go. That will work out to be: Mammoth, Big Bear, Big Bear, Big Bear. Time to consolidate some gains on the mtb.

The Sunday ride for the women’s weekend will be Hanna Flats, I’ll have to find out if we’re going to add Greys Peak.
Old 08-05-18, 11:24 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Good stuff! My buddies and I usually do Mt. Laguna in San Diego as it's close. We might try to make it up to Big Bear once more before it gets to cold. I love it up there!
Old 08-06-18, 02:18 PM
furiousferret

My legs hurt just seeing that CTL @revchuck.
Old 08-06-18, 03:53 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I haven't ridden in over three weeks because I have been busy and out of town. The Oregon coast is really nice this time of year compared to north-central Florida.

If I was still racing the self-loathing would be off the charts.

I think that I might go out for a leisurely 35 mile ride tomorrow morning before it gets too hot.

And this being retired is very awesome.
Old 08-07-18, 02:13 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Some have Tuesday Worlds, I have Tuesday low cadence Fiesta Island ITT - Ride a 20K ITT big gear, low cadence after a structured sprinters warmup, jumps and accelerations. Other than being hot at the bay, I rode my best LC ITT yet.

Look, this will sound a little desperate but I passed another guy on a TT bike who initially passed me. Then...according to Strava, it was my 2nd best 20K ITT on Fiesta that I uploaded to Strava. Hey, facts are facts and when one is on a TT bike for 20k sweating bullets, you take what is available.

Each week I do these, I have been besting my times by a few seconds and adding a few watts of average power. I am starting to get to the limit of my gearing to keep the average cadence around 60 rpm while still riding tempo power.

Last edited by Hermes; 08-07-18 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 02:19 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hi guys. Been mostly off the bike for the last 3 weeks plus. After my crash I was mostly off the bike due to being so busy trying to clear my desk before going on vacation. Then no riding while we were away, although lots of hiking and a little bit of soccer. Then jetlagged and so busy at work trying to catch back up on all the stuff that happened while I was away. Plus this air is terrible. Hoping to get in a few rides this week.
Old 08-07-18, 02:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Good stuff @Hermes.

Hope you can get back into the groove soon @caloso.
Old 08-07-18, 04:12 PM
hubcyclist

I'm on a "rest week" only as far as not doing intensity, because my ctl has gradually declining (currently 83) and tsb has been positive for quite some time due to doing less time and tss while doing a type of CX speciality plan (mainly adapting trainerroad's plan to my time and needs).yesterday I closed out my block by doing 2x15 @ 95% with 30sec @ 150% to kick off each set
Old 08-07-18, 09:02 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Group ride. Still hot and smoky, but not as hot and not as smoky. Got pipped in the sprint after putting in some big digs with the small group. I'm beating people on the tues ride taht used to drop me all the time. Maybe I'm just holding on to more form, or their more tired, but it sure is motivating.
Old 08-07-18, 10:47 PM
furiousferret

I got my ass kicked tonight at worlds. Dropped on the first climb, that hasn't happened in awhile. Just didn't have any energy, I suspect my weekend fatigue was still lingering (I could barely walk on Sunday) and maybe I could have fueled better going in. That's not really the goal this month but it still sucks being the nail.
Old 08-08-18, 12:49 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
3x10 today. One more 3x10 workout and on to under/overs and power intervals.

I'll try out my new digs on the toughest local P ride after I'm done in a couple months. I'll get dropped after probably 30mi.

But, I can if I want to pick a 3min hill and put a minute on the A ride right now. The local A+ ride is tough, but a few guys taking too many road/car risks on that one. The toughest P ride is safer from talking to folks, but, the quality of riders will eventually spit me out. New power or not.

I really hate not living by nice climbs. I tend to like it, and doing really controlled repeats of over 6 to 8 min is relegated to the trainer. I'm just not into the whole change gears every two seconds thing to do long intervals on country roads. A long climb or a trainer, just grind it out. Mentally, I find real world climbs easier than the timer on a trainer.

Once I hit 300 I'll probably do a couple weeks of weight management and see how close to a 4.5w/kg for 20min I can get. Then beg the wife to take a weekend 1/2 day to go drive to take on a climb or something. Or make a family trip to the mountains for the weekend and go kill some PR's on a few I've done in the last year.

I'm absolutely convinced I can some day do Mt. Mitchell in under 2 hours. That's not even close to really good times up that, but is a goal anyway.
Old 08-08-18, 12:49 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
First time doing my bread-and-butter 2x30' in 4 weeks. Holy crap, I think I may have lost 30w from my FTP. I kept looking at my brake caliper to see if it was rubbing. This always happens after coming back from vacation/break but it seems particularly bad this time.
Old 08-08-18, 08:25 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by caloso
First time doing my bread-and-butter 2x30' in 4 weeks. Holy crap, I think I may have lost 30w from my FTP. I kept looking at my brake caliper to see if it was rubbing. This always happens after coming back from vacation/break but it seems particularly bad this time.
I always push MORE watts when my brakes are rubbing .

An hour ez for me today on the tt bike. Taking tomorrow off work to chase the Tour of Utah while it's here in the northern part of the state. Not structure, just going to ride to the different sprint points to watch and put hours in on the bike.
Old 08-09-18, 08:08 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I did some z4s on Soledad Mountain. It was hot at the start and got hotter. I carried two water bottles and used one on my head.

Local news has ocean water temperature at 79 degrees at Scripps Pier. That is a record. Our weather and moderate climate is totally influenced by the cold water flow down the coast of CA. Warm water makes our weather more tropical. This weather is more like that of Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo, Mexico.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.