Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 09:30 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hammerfest?
Old 11-27-15, 09:59 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelhd
Hammerfest?
worse, climbing w/ @racerex
Old 11-27-15, 10:59 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Maybe I'll save the story for the next time someone says crits are dangerous, cat 1s are safer, or that every accident is avoidable. I can't decide.
Ha lol

my race videos
Old 11-28-15, 12:53 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
X-Rays said lumbar fracture(s), CT came back clean. Just bruises and muscle spasms. Cyclobenzaprine, welcome back my old friend!

Maybe I'll save the story for the next time someone says crits are dangerous, cat 1s are safer, or that every accident is avoidable. I can't decide.

Really really relieved nothing is broken! I'll live with a week or two of pain any day.
If you crashed hard enough to earn a CT then it's more like 6-8+ weeks.
Old 11-28-15, 06:46 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
X-Rays said lumbar fracture(s), CT came back clean. Just bruises and muscle spasms. Cyclobenzaprine, welcome back my old friend!

Really really relieved nothing is broken! I'll live with a week or two of pain any day.
Sorry to hear but glad that you are mostly OK!
Old 11-28-15, 06:51 AM
rideaz

Bikes: Giant TCR, Giant Anthem, Felt CX

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did an awesome ride with a group of friends yesterday. We did the AZ mining country loop. 90 miles and almost 8000 feet climbing, most of the ascent is in 3 climbs. The last climb ends with 2 miles at 9% ouch! The scenery was beautiful. It was a great day on the bike, way better than shopping!
https://www.strava.com/activities/440442242
Old 11-28-15, 08:03 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I did a race in Superior back in like the winter of '08-'09, it was an out and back on 177. I remember that climb being very very steep at the top and super long!
Old 11-28-15, 08:52 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Depending on how hard it rains today I'm either doing 3hrs today and 3 tomorrow, or like 1.5 on the trainer and 4.5 tomorrow. I'm stubborn so I'll probably ride 3hrs outdoors and then complain about a head cold in a week.
Old 11-28-15, 09:17 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll live with a week or two of pain any day.
That is an internally complex sentence, but I'll attribute it to the painkillers.

Will somebody please tell us what happened?
Old 11-28-15, 09:42 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
If you crashed hard enough to earn a CT then it's more like 6-8+ weeks.
anything wrong with taking drugs and getting on the trainer? I dunno, we will see.

The time between the x-ray results and the ct results was like 2.5 hours of being super depressed. Having the scan come back with better news is such a relief I'm going to be optimistic that maybe I'm just a wimp and the pain exacerbated by the fear.

The cyclobenzaprine seemed to really help.
Old 11-28-15, 09:48 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
That is an internally complex sentence, but I'll attribute it to the painkillers.

Will somebody please tell us what happened?
We were climbing a shallow pitch at the top of a local climb. I was right behind Ex when he hit a rut at the edge of the paved roadway. 13mph. I tried to go left, he saved it and went left-er than I did and we crossed. I knocked him down and I high-sided to my right. Managed to duck under, not break my collarbone but whiplashed my lower back/ass into the pavement. Had the 30-45s of involuntary groaning, felt like I was going to soil myself, but eventually got up and crawled to the top of the climb at 75w where my wife picked me up.

Felt like a big deal for a few hours, will hopefully be just a funny story in the past in a few weeks.
Old 11-28-15, 10:25 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
anything wrong with taking drugs and getting on the trainer? I dunno, we will see.
Really this is a question for your doctor.

However, on a technical level, vertebra are very complicated bones shape-wise. With standard x-rays, it's very hard to tell sometimes if a fracture is present, there is superimposition of various components of the bone. It's pretty easy to be fooled and worried that there's a fracture when there isnt.

A CT is a cross sectional xray, it was developed in large part to eliminate the issue of superimposition of bony structures for complex bones like vertebrae.

If there is a concern about a spinal fracture, having a CT is not a measure of the severity of the injury. A more severe injury would be accompanied by neurologic deficit, and we can be pretty sure @yugduf would not have been released from the hospital if there was any neurologic deficit.

In this case, it sounds like the CT was done not because of the severity of the injury but because of the anatomic properties of the structure that was being investigated- ie the vertebrae.
Old 11-28-15, 10:29 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Really this is a question for your doctor.

In this case, it sounds like the CT was done not because of the severity of the injury but because of the anatomic properties of the structure that was being investigated- ie the vertebrae.
Thanks. I'm not actually going to take pain killers and train and extend this. I'm optimistic that the back spasms will ease up. At the top of the glutes where they connect to whichever bone there hurts the most. That will maybe be the limiter. Time will tell. Not going to worry about it for a bit. I'm supposed to have a followup in a week or 10 days.
Old 11-28-15, 10:45 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Yikes! Heal quick.
Old 11-28-15, 11:39 AM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Thanks. I'm not actually going to take pain killers and train and extend this. I'm optimistic that the back spasms will ease up. At the top of the glutes where they connect to whichever bone there hurts the most. That will maybe be the limiter. Time will tell. Not going to worry about it for a bit. I'm supposed to have a followup in a week or 10 days.
Probably not an unreasonable plan, I think you are potentially at risk of aggravating soft tissue type injuries but no more. Listen to your body and if something really hurts back off.

They can see your bones perfectly on a CT so you can be pretty assured the bones are fine. There's a lot of soft tissue connecting structures too, though, and those are not visualized well on CT. So discs, ligaments, tendons etc you do not know the state of from a CT. So definitely don't take the negative CT to mean everything is fine. It's just the major scary bony things are ruled out. They also by the way can very easily see your spinal canal (where your spinal cord sits) and your foramina (where your nerve roots exit the spinal canal), so you can also be pretty assured that you have no impingement on any structures of the nervous system.

In short, you're probably fine to ride after a week (or thereabouts) and listen to your body. But what do I know? Just a veterinarian.
Old 11-28-15, 12:48 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack

If there is a concern about a spinal fracture, having a CT is not a measure of the severity of the injury.
I would say that if there is a concern about spinal fracture the injury is severe until proven otherwise. In this case they had sufficient concern to justify the risks of a CT scan. It's not like they CT everyone with back pain out of anatomic curiosity. But what do I know, I'm just a janitor.

Fudgy any chance you have the images? Enjoy your flexeril, those little yellow houses sure helped with my back pain when I smashed it up.
Old 11-28-15, 01:13 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I would say that if there is a concern about spinal fracture the injury is severe until proven otherwise. In this case they had sufficient concern to justify the risks of a CT scan. It's not like they CT everyone with back pain out of anatomic curiosity. But what do I know, I'm just a janitor.

Fudgy any chance you have the images? Enjoy your flexeril, those little yellow houses sure helped with my back pain when I smashed it up.
Injury with complaint of back pain gets you spinal rads. It's easy to become concerned about the possibility of a fracture based on plain spinal films, because rads will tell you readily about obvious spinal fractures but not subtle ones. Next step to clarify the situation if there is any question whatsoever is a CT. So no, they don't just CT anyone. Just people with suspicious rads. But the CT trumps the rads for looking for a fracture. Of course I wasn't there and I don't know what made them order the CT with 100% certainty. But it's very likely that they ordered it because the rads were suspicious and a CT is the most definitive test to evaluate the area of concern.
Old 11-28-15, 01:15 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is Ex doing?

Heal up Fudgy.
Old 11-28-15, 01:23 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get well soon @Ygduf!

[timer reset heh]
Old 11-28-15, 01:41 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Ex feels bad. Paid to take Fudgy out but failed. Have to provide partial refund to the guy that contracted for the hit. Had plans for money.

I didn't even touch the pavement.

Fudgy did a great job of protecting both bikes with his body. Ex does feel bad, been longer than I can remember the last time I screwed up and took someone down. After hitting the pole the other day I'm wondering if I shouldn't take up pickleball and send in that AARP membership.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 11-28-15 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-28-15, 02:14 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
it's all good. I'm like 75% better today which puts me on pace for 94% tomorrow. Better than @mattm soon enough!
Old 11-28-15, 02:43 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
heal up fudgy.

it's gross out here today. racing cross tomorrow so i was supposed to do openers. got on the rollers and found some motivation so actually ended up doing a 2*20' set. really have no desire to race anymore though. regretting pre registering for this weekend and next.

need to invest in a better set of rollers for this winter. on the hunt for some used inside ride ones.
Old 11-28-15, 03:01 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3 hour cross ride in the rain.

Cool lo-fi video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/-ohW1MuYkS
Old 11-28-15, 03:05 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 3,150 Times in 1,658 Posts
Feel better @Ygduf. Sounds like you're already mostly back.
Old 11-28-15, 03:07 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2637 Post(s)
Liked 3,150 Times in 1,658 Posts
heading out for 4hrs of z2 lazness, mtb tomorrow.

Had a killer ride on Turkey Day, 2.5hrs. Spend the first half around ~190w AP, then really unleashed the hounds over the second half, and felt fantastic. I expected to be blown going up Balboa (~4min steep climb near the end of my ride), but my legs still wanted to hammer aerobic. Nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.