Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Intermediate in bicycle maintenance, need advice.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-15, 12:47 PM
Jay28

Bikes: Giant-Sedona LX and Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought my first Giant Sedona LX bicycle a couple of years ago and I really enjoy it's smooth riding. I've been recently thinking about buying new off road tires for it. (right now it has the hybrid tires, which I was told was decent but I would like more options in my tires) I plan on getting some new tires and I am wanting to buy some nice rims to go along with it. The question I have is. If I were to buy rims for this bike and since it has disc brakes do I need to buy specific rims for the bike to accommodate the disc brakes? if so, what would be some suggestions for me? I would like to make my bike a little lighter and I heard that Spinergy rims are pretty lightweight in themselves. I'm sure I could look this information up, but I'd rather have some other input into this. Any suggestions?
Old 08-19-15, 01:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
rim as in building your own wheels, or rims actually meaning another set of wheels ?

a disc brake being at the hub you dont need the brake track on the side of the rim,

but it does not matter if it's there but you dont use it..

there are rim extrusions that leave the brake pad gripping face off in their shape.
Old 08-19-15, 01:18 PM
Jay28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm wanting to buy new tires and rims. I wouldn't know the first thing about building my own unless I had professional help. I guess I should say that I am a novice/intermediate at bike maintenance. I have really just never dealt with disc brakes before, but I do really like them. My disc on my rim is connected to the hub. and there is bolts connecting it to the hub. So, do I need to buy rims that are disc brake compatible? or can I buy any rim and connect the disc to it?

Sorry if you have to repeat your answer, I just don't fully understand.
Old 08-19-15, 02:35 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
so you want to buy a new wheelset + some tyres ?.. yes they will have to be disc compatible if you are buying on the net you will notice that new wheelsets usually come with discs of various diameters
Old 08-19-15, 02:42 PM
Broodax

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
You are probably used to talking about cars, where you have tires and rims, and those are the only two parts of importance that you ever talk about. On a bike, though, you have:

- A tire: the rubber part that touches the road
- A rim: the circle of metal/Carbon that the tire attaches to
- Spokes: the wires that extend out and connect to the rim
- Hub: The central part of a wheel that the spokes connect to, containing bearings, the freewheel mechanism, etc.
- Some other important things (cassettes, etc. - look here: Articles about Bicycle Wheels

So, if you say you are buying "rims" it sounds like you are not getting spokes or hubs, which is why fietsbob asked if you'd be building the wheels yourself. What you almost certainly are planning on doing is buying "wheels", or more accurately a "wheelset", which includes specifically a front and back wheel. A wheel is made of the hub, spokes, and rim.

You do need to buy "wheels" that are made to work with disc breaks. This is different than "rims", because "rims" actually have nothing to do with disk breaks (although some are made to take advantage of this fact by not having a breaking surface so they will only work with disk breaks).
Old 08-19-15, 02:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
disc brake is mounted on the hub, that is where the brakes grab.

other than being the right size, the rim choice is wide open . the brakes dont touch the rim

use a 29er wheel set with a disc brake hub .. its same as a 700c cross/hybrid for all intents and purposes .

I have Sun CR 18 rims on my disc brake fitted bike . I could use rim brakes, it has flat sides, but dont have to .

there are 6 bolt discs and Centerlock* spline fitted lockring affixed types too .

*DT Swiss and a Shimano type. more copies of the shimano ones are around hub cassette tool for both lockrings.

to get the DT one off I used an external Bearing installation tool .
Old 08-19-15, 03:20 PM
Jay28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AHA! thanks for reiterating it for me. I didn't realize they were called wheel sets. I just though they were called rims. Um, yeah. that's what I am looking for. Do I have to take my wheel off the bike and take the tire off it as well to tell how big my wheel is? Im pretty sure I can only get a certain size wheel for my bike right? I just measured it and it looks as though I have an inch exactly of space between my tire and frame/forks on both sides. I don't know if I can get bigger wheels on it or not.
Old 08-19-15, 04:24 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Be sure to check your wheel size, from what I've seen in a quick search the disc brake Sedona's look to have 26" wheels not 29". Another diameter to consider is brake rotors, I've seen from 140mm to over 200mm disc you'll need to the same diameter disc, too large probably wouldn't let the wheel mount but too small will prevent proper pad engagement.
Old 08-19-15, 04:30 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
If I understand correctly, you are looking for some lighter wheels, but heavier tires?
Old 08-19-15, 07:51 PM
Jay28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
actually, i'm was looking for off road tires but right now I have CST's and they're hybrids. Not too bad and I think i'll use them a bit longer until I have worn the tread more. I am looking, however, for lighter wheels, yes. I'm looking for durability and lightness since I usually travel over 20 miles a bike ride. (not everyday) but i'm hoping to get a lot more mileage soon. My bike right now probably weighs at around 30 to maybe 40 pounds. any suggestions for wheels that are not too expensive but lightweight and durable? Also, Dksix, would I have to buy new rotors if I were to replace my wheel set?
Old 08-21-15, 08:28 AM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I would keep the current set ready for use as a back up if I were to buy a new wheelset, in that case you would need to buy everything. The other factor is your new wheelset going to require the same disc, as someone has already posted, there are 2 styles. Seems like one can fit either style with an adaptor but one won't. If your bike is that heavy a wheelset that makes a real difference is going to cost a large portion of what a lighter bike would. I may be wrong but I'd expect a $400-$500 wheelset to save maybe 4-5 pounds but there are plenty of bikes in the $500-$750 range that will weight in the 20-25 pound range. How in love are you with your current bike?
Old 08-21-15, 12:14 PM
Jay28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do love my bike, it is large enough for me. I'm 6'2 so I need a big bike. I feel there are a couple things I can do to get my bike to be lighter. Maybe a new crank as well as wheel sets. It all depends.
Old 08-23-15, 10:13 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Giant Sedona is a typical hybrid, not light nor designed to be. If you want more "off road" tires just put new tires on it. If you want to swap between on and off road tires regularly than a second wheel set is an option. You would need to buy disc compatible wheels in a matching diameter (26" 700c, etc) with the correct size disc for your brakes. You will also need to have the rear hub width compatible to the frame (130mm, 135mm). The best bang for the buck in lightening a bike like that is for the rider to lose 10# rather than throwing money at components.
Old 08-23-15, 10:42 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by Jay28
I do love my bike, it is large enough for me. I'm 6'2 so I need a big bike. I feel there are a couple things I can do to get my bike to be lighter. Maybe a new crank as well as wheel sets. It all depends.
The biggest thing that would lighten the bike (aside from lighter wheels and tires) is a suspension corrected fork. The problem you run into is, as far as I can tell, this is a bike that retailed for less than $500. But upgrading wheels, tires, cranks, forks, seatposts, and handlebars (all places you can save a little weight) will quickly add up to way more than the bike is worth. (According to bikepedia and Bluebook, the Sedona LX is from the mid 2000s, and Bluebook value of an '07 Sedona LX in excellent condition is less than $200). All those parts, and labor can add up to both more than the bike is worth and can go a long way towards buying a lighter bike.

I understand there are different ways to think about repairs/upgrades, some quite legitimate, others maybe not.

1. Sometimes a bike is like an old friend and since you don't want to part with it. My wife has a beloved 70s Peugeot that has so many happy memories that it made sense to pay more than the bike was worth to upgrade wheels, back derailleur, and shifters, along with a couple of odds and ends.

2. Alternately, sometimes an old bike just fits and rides nicely, and it is often worth putting a few bucks into keeping an old bike on the road, though there is a tipping point somewhere, I would say half to 2/3 the value of an equivalent new bike where it makes less sense to put money into an old steed over buying something new. For example, when my son outgrew his 13" Trek 800, I offered him my size medium (1997) Bianchi Advantage, but it needed a tuneup, and fresh grips, Brake Pads, chain, and new freewheel. With labor, the cost was around $125 or $150. It was pretty much a no brainer as a new bike of equivalent quality would cost $400 to $600.

What doesn't make sense is trying to turn a minivan into a sports car.
Old 08-23-15, 10:43 AM
MRT2

Originally Posted by dedhed
Giant Sedona is a typical hybrid, not light nor designed to be. If you want more "off road" tires just put new tires on it. If you want to swap between on and off road tires regularly than a second wheel set is an option. You would need to buy disc compatible wheels in a matching diameter (26" 700c, etc) with the correct size disc for your brakes. You will also need to have the rear hub width compatible to the frame (130mm, 135mm). The best bang for the buck in lightening a bike like that is for the rider to lose 10# rather than throwing money at components.
I pretty much agree. Replace components as they wear out. But don't worry about weight on a comfort bike.
Old 08-27-15, 09:46 AM
Jay28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. Is there a way I can get you guys to direct me to a good discounted bicycle/parts store online? I really wish I had a great shop to go to, although their mechanical skills are great they do not have a lot of selection for parts.
Old 08-30-15, 08:31 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay28
Thanks for the advice everyone. Is there a way I can get you guys to direct me to a good discounted bicycle/parts store online? I really wish I had a great shop to go to, although their mechanical skills are great they do not have a lot of selection for parts.
For well priced bicycle parts, it is hard to go past Chain Reaction Cycles.

What year is your Sedona LX?
Old 08-30-15, 07:29 PM
Jay28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
For well priced bicycle parts, it is hard to go past Chain Reaction Cycles.

What year is your Sedona LX?

I have no idea what year it is. I have been trying to look it up online and I cannot find it anywhere. I have my serial number and I still cannot find anywhere to look it up.
Old 08-30-15, 07:43 PM
FRANK CANNON
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Stop what you are doing, Jay.

Listen to the advice you are getting.

That bike is ****, save up and buy a nice used bike.
Old 08-30-15, 07:46 PM
FRANK CANNON
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Jay, here's a forumfor adding lightness, don't mention Giant Sedona.

Cycling community & forum for professional cyclists - Weight Weenies