Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Diamondback Sand Streaker 6

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 02-19-17, 08:11 PM
stoplight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Was thinking of making a vintage steel bike a project long story short a neighbor gave me his Diamondback Sand Streak 6. I did some research on the bike and found the basic stuff but a few questions on a few of the original vintage parts.

The hoops are Araya, appear to be BMX style 26x 1.75 and appear to be sought after...anybody know why?

the crank, Sugino also appears to be sought after..any info would be greatly appreciated.

This model is the 5 speed rim brake model. The pads need to be replaced as they do not really stop the bike..where might I find replacement pads.

Appears to be all original except is missing the chainstay protector and the neoprene on the bmx style bars. Any other suggestions for maintenance or restoration would be greatly appreciated..will post a pic manana...

thanks in advance...

Last edited by stoplight; 02-19-17 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 08:37 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
Unsure why the rims and crank would be sought-after, as both are more or less ubiquitous. Pics?
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-19-17, 09:08 PM
stoplight

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
Unsure why the rims and crank would be sought-after, as both are more or less ubiquitous. Pics?

Unsure as well....hoops and crank from what I see are in the 150.00-200 range..those to alone total the value of the entire bike....

just wondering if I run into issues if its worth repairing...

will have pics up tomorrow...
Old 02-20-17, 12:10 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Are you sure it is not a 6 speed? I remember Sand Streak models and most had side pull brakes, upright cruiser bars, and chain guards. They appeared in the early 80's as I recall. If that is the case, there is nothing that I can think of that would make the components desirable in the classic MTB market.
Old 02-20-17, 01:55 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
If it was in near NOS shape, with intact pedals and tires with the little sea shell design embossed into them , -- it would be worth maybe $300 to the right person,

Not quite that nice? - maybe $125-150 bucks ----

The Sand Streak was the beach cruiser-ey model of the Streak lineup . PRetty cool, very BMX looking straight blade front fork.

I like 'em

I would say its a worthwhile rig to tinker with fun potential standpoint, but not the best item to restore expecting to re-coup any sort of financial return

I had fun tricking out a Fleet Streak last year with some 80's inspired accessories , -- BMX cruiser bars, pedals, pads and comp 3 tires -- its a fun cruiser when I just want to take it slow

Old 02-20-17, 08:48 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
If it was in near NOS shape, with intact pedals and tires with the little sea shell design embossed into them , -- it would be worth maybe $300 to the right person,

The Sand Streak was the beach cruiser-ey model of the Streak lineup . PRetty cool, very BMX looking straight blade front fork.

I like 'em

I would say its a worthwhile rig to tinker with fun potential standpoint, but not the best item to restore expecting to re-coup any sort of financial return

I had fun tricking out a Fleet Streak last year with some 80's inspired accessories , -- BMX cruiser bars, pedals, pads and comp 3 tires -- its a fun cruiser when I just want to take it slow

That looks like the bike the goofy guy from "the home" down the street used to ride! LOL.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-20-17, 09:44 PM
stoplight

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dweenk
Are you sure it is not a 6 speed? I remember Sand Streak models and most had side pull brakes, upright cruiser bars, and chain guards. They appeared in the early 80's as I recall. If that is the case, there is nothing that I can think of that would make the components desirable in the classic MTB market.

you would be correct.
Got to spend some time with it today and gave it a good going over. I got the serial number and has bike registry tag on it so might be able to pin point the date. On closer inspection the rims are KinLin 26x1.75 and the tires appear to the original Kenda as for the crank..who knows, made in Taiwan stamped on the frame, rims the same near as I can tell. Its a heavy bike, got to be close to 35-40 lbs. Not in the best of shape, lots of scratches and wear to the paint. Shifts well and seems mechanically sound. Might monkey around with it some but would be for education not to flip....probably will end up donating it. Thanks for the input...

Last edited by stoplight; 02-20-17 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-20-17, 09:46 PM
stoplight

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMC707

I like 'em

Nicely done sir!!!