Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 07-11-20, 12:23 PM
  #13001  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,373

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6015 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 881 Posts
And it looks like NCOM will likely be well under my temperature target. Like, the daily average high (averaged between Oct and Nov) is barely at my finger-safety level.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 01:24 PM
  #13002  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Everything's bigger in Texas!

My lesson from today's ride is that it's doable for me if the roads are smooth, not so much if it's brutal chipseal.
Would you do that on your road bike or tri bike? I know you feel like the tri bike is a lot more comfortable.

And I may have missed it, but what distance are you looking at doing?

Kudos for the spousal support, I've mentioned doing the Ride Across Wisconsin before and my wife seems open to the idea of support as well
abshipp is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 01:47 PM
  #13003  
LAJ
So it is
 
LAJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 18,122

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 226 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6521 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
96 hours for 1000 miles? Geez.

Isn't the standard 1200km brevet a 90 hour limit? And that's *only* 745 miles.
Sure, but this is a race. Unlike brevet riders, who I firmly believe ride to eat, these folks eat to ride fast. Plus, the support factor, food on the go, flat repair in the car while you ride a replacement wheel, all help.
LAJ is offline  
Likes For LAJ:
Old 07-11-20, 01:50 PM
  #13004  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,373

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6015 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 881 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
Would you do that on your road bike or tri bike? I know you feel like the tri bike is a lot more comfortable.

And I may have missed it, but what distance are you looking at doing?

Kudos for the spousal support, I've mentioned doing the Ride Across Wisconsin before and my wife seems open to the idea of support as well
I would do the 208. The unfortunate thing is I have Raynaud's, and while that's a fairly minor condition for a lot of things it means I can't ride in the cold very well (not without BarMitts and warmers stuffed in them). And "cold" for this purpose is <60* if it's sunny, more like 65* if it's humid. Average morning temperature in Marfa in late Oct/ early Nov is 50*.

As for which bike... probably both. The tri bike is not a lot of fun or climbing or descending, but it's of course free speed on the flats and straights, which there are several large sections of. However, crucially, it's even worse for the fingers, and there's no way to put BarMitts on it.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 01:51 PM
  #13005  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,373

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6015 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 881 Posts
AG did also say I could just pick a spot to do a solo century and she'd SAG that if I wanted, which I may take her up on. I've never seen what I could do on one of those with the leash off.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 02:02 PM
  #13006  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
I would do the 208. The unfortunate thing is I have Raynaud's, and while that's a fairly minor condition for a lot of things it means I can't ride in the cold very well (not without BarMitts and warmers stuffed in them). And "cold" for this purpose is <60* if it's sunny, more like 65* if it's humid. Average morning temperature in Marfa in late Oct/ early Nov is 50*.

As for which bike... probably both. The tri bike is not a lot of fun or climbing or descending, but it's of course free speed on the flats and straights, which there are several large sections of. However, crucially, it's even worse for the fingers, and there's no way to put BarMitts on it.
​​​​​​Ah that's a bummer

How is the tri bike worse for your fingers? Is there really much of a wind break with drop bars vs tri bars?
abshipp is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 02:06 PM
  #13007  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,629

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13577 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 1,526 Posts
Morning thunderstorms cleared, the roads dried and I was able to get out for a not-quite-as-long-as-I'd-hoped ride. But it was all good. In thinking about doing some longer rides, I was deliberate about setting an absolutely boring pace for the first couple hours. That decision paid dividends in the last couple of hours.


And now to eat all the foods.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-11-20, 02:19 PM
  #13008  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,149

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Went through a little tucked-away rural chunk this morning.


That guy needs a new mechanic
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 02:24 PM
  #13009  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 30,629

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 337 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13577 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 1,526 Posts
With the ride today, I crossed 2k on the Cervelo.
WhyFi is online now  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-11-20, 02:25 PM
  #13010  
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: is everything
Posts: 9,149

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 186 Posts
Worked on the firebird yesterday. Backed it out of the garage, drove to the gas station put gas in it. Parked it in the driveway while I cleaned the garage. Started raining. Got in to close the windows, and turned on the wiper. Instantly stripped the ds wiper arm. Got out to look at it. Also managed to crack my brand new windshield somehow.
It just never ends.
ls01 is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 03:07 PM
  #13011  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Rockford IL
Posts: 2,116

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 Chrome, 1981 Trek 716, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 946 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Morning thunderstorms cleared, the roads dried and I was able to get out for a not-quite-as-long-as-I'd-hoped ride. But it was all good. In thinking about doing some longer rides, I was deliberate about setting an absolutely boring pace for the first couple hours. That decision paid dividends in the last couple of hours.


And now to eat all the foods.
​​​​​​A solo 17mph near century is a boring pace?

I should get faster
abshipp is offline  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 07-11-20, 03:20 PM
  #13012  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 14,357
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Went through a little tucked-away rural chunk this morning.

If that's not rusted out it's worth a few bucks. Very desirable model.

Last edited by big john; 07-11-20 at 03:35 PM.
big john is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 03:20 PM
  #13013  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 4,937

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3740 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
What's on your to-do list today?
Sora level content:

After bike ride in only 68* dew point, I came home and trimmed bushes in front of my house. Then showered, had lunch, a sausage, peppers, onions and mozzarella sandwich with pasta salad. Then to the new, nearby winery for a tasting. Bought a bottle for tonight then when I got home I made some French press coffee which I am now enjoying. All without taking a nap.
BTW didn't watch your video. Tldw it for me.
DougRNS is offline  
Likes For DougRNS:
Old 07-11-20, 03:26 PM
  #13014  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,373

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6015 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 881 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
​​​​​​Ah that's a bummer

How is the tri bike worse for your fingers? Is there really much of a wind break with drop bars vs tri bars?
I can't put my finger on it (ha!) but it might be about them being wrapped vs mostly-relaxed. That or the shift levers do break the airflow a bit. Regardless, it is noticeable. And riding is much worse than running; running I'm good with just gloves down to 40* or so.

Also, it goes through swings of how bad it is, but I can't figure out a pattern of diet or exercise or anything, so I just plan for the worst.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 03:27 PM
  #13015  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,903

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 327 Posts
Took the daughter to the beach when she wasn’t feeling well..... Fish won’t go hungry this summer.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 03:33 PM
  #13016  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,903

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 327 Posts
Are different 11 speed cassettes made for different situations? Example; is there a cassette better suited for hills, vs. flat land? This morning I was on the big chain ring up front, and on the number 5 from right on the back. I was cranking at about 105 rpm and decided to shift up, but it was a huge difference. My rpm dropped dramatically to 85 and I could really feel it in my legs. This old timer I ride with, swears I am missing the 18 tooth cassette, and that’s what I need for flat ground.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 03:48 PM
  #13017  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 16,373

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6015 Post(s)
Liked 1,651 Times in 881 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Are different 11 speed cassettes made for different situations? Example; is there a cassette better suited for hills, vs. flat land? This morning I was on the big chain ring up front, and on the number 5 from right on the back. I was cranking at about 105 rpm and decided to shift up, but it was a huge difference. My rpm dropped dramatically to 85 and I could really feel it in my legs. This old timer I ride with, swears I am missing the 18 tooth cassette, and that’s what I need for flat ground.
Oh yes, there's a world of difference between a 12-25 and an 11-32, for example. Back in the 10sp days I was a bigger fan of 12-27 than the more common 11-28s because of those gaps. Now in 11sp I'm fine with 11-28,but 11-30 and 11-32 (or even 11-34) are common. What's yours?

That said, there's no one rear cog tooth count that's "right" for flat land, even though 16 and 18are commonly cited as such. It also matters what your front gears are, fitness, surface, wind...
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 03:49 PM
  #13018  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,289

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 661 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14207 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 344 Posts
A cautionary tale.

__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 07-11-20, 04:00 PM
  #13019  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 14,357
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1478 Post(s)
Liked 944 Times in 575 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Took the daughter to the beach when she wasn’t feeling well..... Fish won’t go hungry this summer.
Do a little chumming?
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 07-11-20, 04:01 PM
  #13020  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 6,243

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4239 Post(s)
Liked 1,549 Times in 857 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
The plastic Bodum Travel Press coffee maker I ordered from Amazon on 6/22 is finally out for delivery after a long ***** session with them on Thursday.
Use it in health and contentment. We have a polycarbonate French press on the boat. One of life’s essentials.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 04:01 PM
  #13021  
phrantic09
Road Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Saratoga, NY
Posts: 731

Bikes: Felt Z4, Felt F75, Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Morning thunderstorms cleared, the roads dried and I was able to get out for a not-quite-as-long-as-I'd-hoped ride. But it was all good. In thinking about doing some longer rides, I was deliberate about setting an absolutely boring pace for the first couple hours. That decision paid dividends in the last couple of hours.


And now to eat all the foods.
nice ride
phrantic09 is offline  
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 07-11-20, 04:06 PM
  #13022  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,903

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
Oh yes, there's a world of difference between a 12-25 and an 11-32, for example. Back in the 10sp days I was a bigger fan of 12-27 than the more common 11-28s because of those gaps. Now in 11sp I'm fine with 11-28,but 11-30 and 11-32 (or even 11-34) are common. What's yours?

That said, there's no one rear cog tooth count that's "right" for flat land, even though 16 and 18are commonly cited as such. It also matters what your front gears are, fitness, surface, wind...
I believe it’s 11 30. I just find myself cross chaining no matter if I use the big or small front chain ring. I can’t seem to find a good gear ratio I like.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 07-11-20, 04:09 PM
  #13023  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,289

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 661 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14207 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
BTW didn't watch your video. Tldw it for me.
Probably too fast-paced.
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  
Old 07-11-20, 04:13 PM
  #13024  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 1,903

Bikes: Cervélo C2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Do a little chumming?

Let’s just say the chesapeake bays water quality went down.
bampilot06 is offline  
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 07-11-20, 04:21 PM
  #13025  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 37,289

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 661 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14207 Post(s)
Liked 495 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Took the daughter to the beach when she wasn’t feeling well..... Fish won’t go hungry this summer.
Harsh.
__________________
Velo Vol is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.