Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pedal separates from shaft

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-20, 06:41 AM
oxman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts

Right side pedal keeps separating itself from the axle.

First occurrence was perhaps 200 km ago, at which time I disassembled, cleaned and greased and tightened with a wrench. During a ride yesterday, it again came apart again. Thankfully I was seated at the time. Without tools on hand, I finger tightened and went on my way. During the 40 km ride home, it unscrewed itself four times - naturally I was sure to stay seated. I cannot imagine standing when this lets go.

Note that the pedal axle remains firmly attached the crank arms. The issue is the right side pedal unscrews itself from the pedal axle. These are vintage Look pedals,

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this?
Old 05-25-20, 07:11 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Take it fully apart and make sure the bearings spin right, only reason I think it should happen is too much friction allowing the fixing bolt to move. Use loctite to reassemble when you screw it all back together. If its old I'd just replace the bearings in case they're being allowed to spin or have deformed and check to make sure the axle is straight.
Old 05-25-20, 09:04 AM
oxman

Unfortunately, I do not see a means to remove the bearing.
Old 05-25-20, 10:52 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
There is a cir-clip behind the bearing that needs to be removed. I haven't ridden a Look pedal since my right one broke cleanly at the grove causing me to flip. The groove is a stress-riser.
Old 05-25-20, 11:37 AM
oxman

I took the pedals to the local bike shop to have a look. In the end, I purchased some new Look Keo 2 Max. I did not want to play around with nearly 30 year old pedals. The shop did not either, as there is some binding/mild cross threading going on with body and the part attached to the axle. I want to get back safely on the road asap.

I very much appreciate the help here.
Likes For oxman:
Old 05-25-20, 01:59 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by oxman
I took the pedals to the local bike shop to have a look. In the end, I purchased some new Look Keo 2 Max. I did not want to play around with nearly 30 year old pedals. The shop did not either, as there is some binding/mild cross threading going on with body and the part attached to the axle. I want to get back safely on the road asap.

I very much appreciate the help here.
I’d say you you got your money’s worth after 30 years! Sometimes the peace of mind knowing the product won’t fail anytime soon is well worth the purchase price.
Old 05-25-20, 02:20 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by oxman
In the end, I purchased some new Look Keo 2 Max. I did not want to play around with nearly 30 year old pedals.
I think that was a very wise choice. Not something you want to have fail when sprinting or standing while climbing.
Old 05-25-20, 06:17 PM
oxman

Thank you all again!