Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Searching forum?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-20, 06:18 AM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Searching forum?

Hi everyone,
I'm pretty new to this forum. I've been really enjoying it so far. I cant seem to be able to search or more precisely my searches turn up nothing. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. As an example I am looking for post on anything to do with rear hub bearings. Here is a screen shot of my search results. What am I doing wrong is there something I'm missing? I'm fairly certain there is lots about bearings here in this forum. Thanks
Old 06-03-20, 06:55 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
The search function of this site is legendary for its inability to find what you want.
Just google what you are looking for and add ', bikeforums' at the end of the search.

So 'rear hub bearings, bikeforums' in google will have a bunch of hits in the first result. Click on 'more results' below the result and you will have a bunch of threads discussing rear wheel bearings.

Super curious why you want to search for such a general topic. Are you wanting to know the size of some bearings for a specific old hub or what?
Old 06-03-20, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
A. That's a pretty broad search.

B. Did you read all the posts in those threads, because the (unspecified) information you are seeking might be in one of them?

C. Did you try searching thread titles only?
Old 06-03-20, 07:24 AM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Thank you for the answer! I'm building another set of wheels. Shimano deore rear 9 spd hub ( sorry cant remember the part number) dt swiss tk540 rim. The rear hub is used and I'm replacing the bearings. I usually replace the bearings every couple years anyway. I wanted to read other people's opinions on bearing quality. I've always got mine from Amazon cheap. They say grade 25 but who knows if that's correct ? Like I said there cheap a pack of 500 of various sizes is only around 17 dollars. I might be wrong on the price it's been a while since my last purchase. I mostly "tour". Nearly every weekend I'm on the C&O canal. Usually twice a year I can take longer trips around 1000 miles. I was in maintanance at a very large sawmill for many years and the bearings we used were not cheap. Lol I realize there a huge difference between 4000 + rpms and a bike wheel. So I was just curious about where others got there bearing balls and what quality they looked for. Not too interested in ceramic but again ebay has ceramic 50 packs for 10 dollars and at bocabearrings.com I doubt you could buy one 1/4 inch ball for that. So I was just looking for opinions.
Old 06-03-20, 08:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
In addition to what was stated above, if you want to search a specific subforum, you can add site:bikeforums.net/{subforum name from title bar} to your search. SO to search General Cycling for rear wheel bearings, it would look like rear wheel bearings site:bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion on Google.